Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Danville 2024
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Admirals are coming off their first ever winless season going 0-11 under first year head coach Frank Parks. Will they be able to improve in 2024? Can they bring the program back? What’s it going to take?
Nothing. Let the enormity of that one word sink in. Danville, a pillar in KY high school football. A program that produced eleven state titles, back-to-back championships twice, nine undefeated seasons, forty-two consecutive wins, over eight hundred wins in program history, five thousand three hundred and seventy-five rushing yards in a single season, five hundred and ninety-seven rushing yards in a single game. Nothing. 

Danville might become competitive again. I'm certain they will have winning seasons and the school will use that success as evidence that Danville is "back." Yet, if the question you are getting at is "Will Danville ever be back to the standard of old?" No. The standard is gone from Danville, but you can find it elsewhere. You won't even have to travel far. Go two miles west or forty miles south and you'll find the dedication to tradition that once filled the Admirals' sails. All of this sentiment has been posted elsewhere by either myself or people more passionate and knowledgeable than I am.
(12-02-2023, 04:56 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing. Let the enormity of that one word sink in. Danville, a pillar in KY high school football. A program that produced eleven state titles, back-to-back championships twice, nine undefeated seasons, forty-two consecutive wins, over eight hundred wins in program history, five thousand three hundred and seventy-five rushing yards in a single season, five hundred and ninety-seven rushing yards in a single game. Nothing. 

Danville might become competitive again. I'm certain they will have winning seasons and the school will use that success as evidence that Danville is "back." Yet, if the question you are getting at is "Will Danville ever be back to the standard of old?" No. The standard is gone from Danville, but you can find it elsewhere. You won't even have to travel far. Go two miles west or forty miles south and you'll find the dedication to tradition that once filled the Admirals' sails. All of this sentiment has been posted elsewhere by either myself or people more passionate and knowledgeable than I am.
The part that is really hard to wrap my head around is this is a program that had a 15-0 state championship season as recent as 2017.  It’s hard to believe that the bottom fell out that quickly.
(12-02-2023, 05:26 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2023, 04:56 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing. Let the enormity of that one word sink in. Danville, a pillar in KY high school football. A program that produced eleven state titles, back-to-back championships twice, nine undefeated seasons, forty-two consecutive wins, over eight hundred wins in program history, five thousand three hundred and seventy-five rushing yards in a single season, five hundred and ninety-seven rushing yards in a single game. Nothing. 

The part that is really hard to wrap my head around is this is a program that had a 15-0 state championship season as recent as 2017.  It’s hard to believe that the bottom fell out that quickly.

The first undefeated Danville team since 1994. I reference the program's history so frequently because that is the only thing us former fans have. Memories.
(12-02-2023, 05:45 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2023, 05:26 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]

The first undefeated Danville team since 1994. I reference the program's history so frequently because that is the only thing us former fans have. Memories.
I ran track for Raceland in the early 2000’s and we were in Danville’s region.  This was during the Kelvin Turner era of teams.  I remember looking at the guys on their track team who were also mostly football players and thinking to myself how I was glad that we didn’t have to play them in football.  I’ve always had a huge amount of respect for that program because I competed with with their athletes for my entire high school career.  I remember how much pride they had and carried themselves with an aura that let you know how good they really were.  I really do hate seeing that program that I saw as a force in the state it is in now.
It just takes one dumb move by a school administration or a hire for the wrong reasons and the damage to the program can take years to overcome. Pay close attention in the 40701
Danville got a new superintendent, wonder if he's pro athletics or not?
(12-02-2023, 07:22 PM)Cappy Wrote: [ -> ]It just takes one dumb move by a school administration or a hire for the wrong reasons and the damage to the program can take years to overcome.  Pay close attention in the 40701

I couldn't agree more. I don't see Danville significantly improving over the next few years. Any talent in the area will want to go to Boyle, and who can blame them? Most of the former Danville kids who now play for other teams experienced the heartbreak of seeing their coach fired, their program dismantled, and their voices ignored. No one is rushing to join the Admirals now.

Worse yet, many that still support Danville cannot even diagnose the problem. I hear a lot of them argue that the Admirals are in shambles because they lack community support. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc. The rooster crowed, then the sun rose. The sun rose because the rooster crowed. The fans left, then the Admirals had a winless season. The Admirals had a winless season because the fans left. To get better, you need to have a solution. Danville doesn't even recognize the problem.
They’re going to need multiple things to go their way to get back to that level of success & some of that is out of their control.
Passing on rehiring Clevenger will be what really hurts. And the double whammy the school’s success right down the road.
Woke up with this question: What implications does the decline and fall of Danville have for the rest of 2A? Playing Danville didn't help Boyle's RPI, but clearly that didn't have much of an impact. Perhaps one day it could.
How far could Danville have went in playoffs if they still had
Sage Dawson at QB
Mari Brown at Rb
Geo Brown at Wr
Bixler
Mclure
All above went to Boyle.
Gavin Rodriguez a good lineman that went to Mercer. Could Danvllle make final
4 if all those guys stayed?
(12-03-2023, 10:22 PM)UK1 Wrote: [ -> ]How far could Danville have went in playoffs if they still had
Sage Dawson at QB
Mari Brown at Rb
Geo Brown at Wr
Bixler
Mclure
All above went to Boyle.
Gavin Rodriguez a good lineman that went to Mercer. Could Danvllle make final

If those guys are around, Clevenger is still at Danville. So yes, I think there would've been a good chance for Danville to make the final 4 with that crew. Clevenger being there may also have meant Kelvin Turner's son was also in Danville and that could've also helped propel a deep run.

There was a ton of damage in the Clevenger firing but I think a lot more damage was done when he wasn't rehired. The community wasn't happy with the firing but that produced no change. Then when the job came open 2 years later and Clevenger wasn't even considered, that drove off a lot of supporters, fans, and boosters. Especially considering who was hired instead of him. No offense to Parks but his resume vs. Clevenger's is not comparable. And this all happened after the previous superintendent APOLOGIZED to Clevenger in an open community meeting. So support was signaled for him and then when the time came to make things right that was not done. All these wounds were self-inflicted for Danville. And all of them could have been fixed with competent leadership. One could point to the Danville BOE's decision not to renew Keith Look's contract as superintendent in 2018 as the beginning of the end because that is what led to that same BOE hiring the super that aliented lots of community members and fired Clevenger.

As Red says above, Danville football has a lot of headwinds now. Morale around the program is not good and the perception is worse. And when has anyone who made the decisions that wrecked the football program been held accountable? I have yet to see it.
(12-03-2023, 10:22 PM)UK1 Wrote: [ -> ]How far could Danville have went in playoffs if they still had
Sage Dawson at QB
Mari Brown at Rb
Geo Brown at Wr
Bixler
Mclure
All above went to Boyle. 
Gavin Rodriguez a good lineman that went to Mercer.  Could Danvllle make final
There is a lot of talent there but I remember watching Dawson play against BC when he was a freshman and he played so scared. Every time, which was often, they got to him, he just went down. I saw where his dad posted on FB earlier this fall that he was so thankful Sage went to Boyle and how his development with Haddix was a game changer for him. Now he is tough as nails. I'm sure a lot of those kids asks themselves would I rather have a running clock put on me or be the one putting the running clock on others. Plus, playing a high quality program to get better and get seen and playing for state championships, its a no-brainer to me. I can only imagine those kids reach out to the ones at Boyle and ask about what it like playing there. Those answers lead to transfers.
(12-04-2023, 11:30 AM)Holy Bull Wrote: [ -> ]
Sage Dawson at QB
Mari Brown at Rb
Geo Brown at Wr
Bixler
Mclure
All above went to Boyle. 
There is a lot of talent there but I remember watching Dawson play against BC when he was a freshman and he played so scared. Every time, which was often, they got to him, he just went down. I saw where his dad posted on FB earlier this fall that he was so thankful Sage went to Boyle and how his development with Haddix was a game changer for him. Now he is tough as nails. I'm sure a lot of those kids asks themselves would I rather have a running clock put on me or be the one putting the running clock on others. Plus, playing a high quality program to get better and get seen and playing for state championships, its a no-brainer to me. I can only imagine those kids reach out to the ones at Boyle and ask about what it like playing there. Those answers lead to transfers.
Do you really think that Dawson, Brown, Geo Brown Bixler and all of the lineman that left would have had running clocks put on them if they stay at 2A Danville?  In 8th Grade Bodner was playing QB for their 8th grade team and they had no other skill guys except him.  If they  don't get any transfers do you think Boyle wins state with Bodner at QB and no other skill guys?  Boyle has a great team but Boyle fans need to be HUMBLE about it.  They don't win state at all without the transfers from surrounding counties.
(12-04-2023, 04:07 PM)UK1 Wrote: [ -> ]
Sage Dawson at QB
Mari Brown at Rb
Geo Brown at Wr
Bixler
Mclure
All above went to Boyle. 
Do you really think that Dawson, Brown, Geo Brown Bixler and all of the lineman that left would have had running clocks put on them if they stay at 2A Danville?  In 8th Grade Bodner was playing QB for their 8th grade team and they had no other skill guys except him.  If they  don't get any transfers do you think Boyle wins state with Bodner at QB and no other skill guys?  Boyle has a great team but Boyle fans need to be HUMBLE about it.  They don't win state at all without the transfers from surrounding counties.

Would Danville made the State Finals in '98 without Jeremy Britt?  He was a transfer.  

I know how these other teams must feel and personally I don't see a lot of Boyle Chest Bumping on here that isn't a response to some crazy commentary/assessment of these kids.  

I agree that Boyle has benefited greatly but the '20 and '21 titles had Jager at QB but he came because his mother married and moved to Boyle County.  He got the extra year in '21 because of COVID.  Last I checked, many of the stars on those teams were Boyle stars.
Can the Ads be saved?
(12-04-2023, 04:13 PM)Hatz Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2023, 04:07 PM)UK1 Wrote: [ -> ]
Sage Dawson at QB
Mari Brown at Rb
Geo Brown at Wr
Bixler
Mclure
All above went to Boyle. 

Would Danville made the State Finals in '98 without Jeremy Britt?  He was a transfer.  

I know how these other teams must feel and personally I don't see a lot of Boyle Chest Bumping on here that isn't a response to some crazy commentary/assessment of these kids.  

I agree that Boyle has benefited greatly but the '20 and '21 titles had Jager at QB but he came because his mother married and moved to Boyle County.  He got the extra year in '21 because of COVID.  Last I checked, many of the stars on those teams were Boyle stars.
There is a ton of Boyle chest thumping.  They have a great team.  Transfers are part of the game now.  The 21 team did have some Boyle guys as upper classmen.  I am talking about this class of seniors had nobody but Bodner.  Maybe some of their underclassmen from Boyle step up if they don't get transfers.  With Gillis I know about him and Gunnar both and how both transfers went down.  The same story was used for his older brother going to Mercer and neither were 100% accurate.  With Boyle all i am saying is be humble.  You have a school that kids want to transfer to but if you don't get the transfers you don't have near the season that they have had the last two years. Haddix is a great coach and you could give this roster to some coaches and they may not win state.  On the flip side you give a lot of coaches in the state this roster and they could win state.  Having multiply D1 skill players transfer to a team would change the outcome for a lot of teams in the state.
What goes around, comes around. Danville for many years had many transfers that lived in Boyle and surrounding counties. They were not humble about these athletes helping win titles for them. They felt like they were entitled and often stated that Danville offered a better opportunity in academics and athletics. Well that is not the case any longer. Boyle has a much better academic program(top ten in Ky for the last several years) and the athletic program speaks for itself. They used to brag that the difference between a dynasty and a wannabe was three miles. Well guess what? It still is!!! Players move around the state all the time. It is much more common when they live in the same county. Sage Dawson lived in the county school district when he played his freshmen year at Danville. It happens both ways in other sports as well. So you don't have to feel sorry for poor little Danville. They benefitted for years from the transfer, but it was OK when the shoe was on the other foot. I know because I lived thru that time and saw it all happen. If you don't believe me, just check it out. Enough said about that
(12-02-2023, 08:07 PM)toolaidback Wrote: [ -> ]Danville got a new superintendent, wonder if he's pro athletics or not?
New super was anti clevinger. Helped get him fired and supported no interview 2 yrs later. So part of administration that’s responsible for state of things now
(12-04-2023, 08:41 PM)Sonnyboy Wrote: [ -> ]New super was anti clevinger. Helped get him fired and supported no interview 2 yrs later. So part of administration that’s responsible for state of things now
He must be a baseball fan  Undecided
(12-04-2023, 04:39 PM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]Can the Ads be saved?

Do they want to be saved is the better question.
Baughman be there next year, or Boyle??
(12-07-2023, 03:02 PM)Onward Leslie! Wrote: [ -> ]Baughman be there next year, or Boyle??

I don’t know. Given the issues that some of the end of the year transfers had last year I would expect that anyone intending to would do so over winter break. I feel for the kid. None of this his fault. I hope the people responsible for this realize the situation they’ve put kids like him in and feel an inkling of remorse for having done it.
(12-07-2023, 03:02 PM)Onward Leslie! Wrote: [ -> ]Baughman be there next year, or Boyle??

Boyle is getting crowded, but I bet a school and coach down the road would love to have him.
Danville really needs for him to stay for them to rebuild their program.  I hope he does.
(12-08-2023, 10:45 AM)Rebel55 Wrote: [ -> ]
Danville really needs for him to stay for them to rebuild their program.  I hope he does.

I hope he pursues whatever is in his personal best interest. If a school wants to retain students it is incumbent upon it to develop programs in the students’ best interests, programs that are equal to or better than those a student could participate in elsewhere. Especially given the new open enrollment law in KY if a school desires students to stay they better give them reasons to stay. The days of teaching to a captive audience are over. Being mindful to follow KHSAA transfer regulations any student-athlete can now gravitate to whichever school they deem best for themselves. In Danville’s case, when administration takes detrimental action toward its own programs, now it can really come back and bite them and it has. The families can just pack up and go and many have.
Sage Dawson at QB
Mari Brown at Rb
Geo Brown at Wr
Bixler
Mclure
All above went to Boyle. 

LETS not let the Danville principal off the hook ( currently rumored to be looking for another job ) ...  He chose not to give Clevenger an interview when the job opened back up AND hired his friend, current 0-11 Head Coach at Danville.  

(12-04-2023, 08:37 PM)Sonnyboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2023, 08:07 PM)toolaidback Wrote: [ -> ]Danville got a new superintendent, wonder if he's pro athletics or not?

He is not much of a hire.   Wont last long.   Sure wont fix the football issue at Danville
Why is nobody blasting board members? Aren't they the string pullers? You know, Ads, you can vote these people out.
Pages: 1 2