Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Herald Leader Top 25 --- Let's Hear Your Thoughts!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[b]1. [/b][b]Lyon County[/b][b] (31-6): [/b]In addition to Perry, the Lyons return fellow seniors and double-digit scorers Brady Shoulders (17.9 ppg, 11.1 rpg)
 and Jack Reddick (18.8 ppg), meaning Lyon County is far more than a one-man show. The Lyons will be tested early at the Marshall County Hoopfest and Lexington Catholic’s holiday tournament in addition to touching on a bit of history when they face Floyd Central on Dec. 16 at Wayland Gymnasium, the home gym of King Kelly Coleman, whose record Perry surpassed last season.

[b]2. [/b][b]Great Crossing[/b][b] (28-6): [/b]The Warhawks’ core of juniors Malachi Moreno, Vince Dawson, Gage Richardson and Junius Burrell along with senior Jeremiah Godfrey has seen its last two seasons end in the 11th Region semis against more experienced and consistent teams. Now, they have experience, they’re working on consistency and depth, and the sky could be the only limit. A tough schedule includes the King of the Bluegrass Tournament, Covington Catholic, Ashland Blazer and George Rogers Clark.

[b]3. [/b][b]Trinity (Louisville)[/b][b] (24-8): [/b]The ‘Rocks are led by senior guard Drae Vasser (13.5 ppg), junior transfer Julius Edmonds (11.6 ppg at Western) and sophomore Jayden Johnson (10.6 ppg). Trinity just missed out on last year’s Sweet 16, losing a double-overtime thriller against Male in the 7th Region championship.

[b]4. [/b][b]Male[/b][b] (26-11): [/b]Seven of the Bulldogs’ top nine, including three starters, return from last season’s 7th Region champs. Cole Edelen (15.9 ppg), Jayson Gasaway (10.6 ppg) and Max Gainey (5.5 ppg) lead the way. “We can really shoot the ball and could be a great defensive team,” Male coach Timothy Haworth said. “This group can make a deep run in March if we stay healthy.”

[b]5. [/b][b]Frederick Douglass[/b][b] (33-3): [/b]The Broncos maintain the speed and athleticism that took them to the school’s first 11th Region title and state semifinals appearance last season. Returning starters Armelo Boone (16 ppg), Aveion Chenault (13.2 ppg) and Logan Busson (5.4 ppg) will be bolstered by Lafayette transfer DeMarcus Surratt (13.8 ppg).

[b]6. [/b][b]Warren Central[/b][b] (36-1): [/b]The Dragons graduated four starters off last year’s Boys Sweet 16 champs and will rebuild around Western Kentucky commit Kade Unseld (16.1 ppg) and Bowling Green transfer Elijah Starks (5.1 ppg). Unseld will miss the start of the season as he recovers from surgery to repair a minor knee issue. “We’ve just got to find the right chemistry,” said coach William Unseld. “It’s a new group ... but I think by February, we’ll definitely be top five or 10 in the state.”

[b]7. [/b][b]Bowling Green[/b][b] (26-9): [/b]The Purples battled eventual state champion Warren Central to overtime in both the regular season and the 4th Region championship and came out on the wrong end of the latter. Leading scorers MJ Wardlow (16.2 ppg) and Mason Ritter (13.7 ppg), both seniors, return along with quarterback Deuce Bailey (10.8) when he’s done on the gridiron.

[b]8. [/b][b]Newport[/b][b] (28-7): [/b]Highly recruited sophomore Taylen Kinney (13.9 ppg) is the defending 9th Region champs’ leading returning scorer with fellow sophomore James Turner (8.5 ppg), a 6-8 center, back in the post where he notched 88 blocks last season. Senior Jabari Covington (12 ppg) returns as well. The Panthers will mix in Taft (Cincinnati) point guard transfer Deshaun Jackson (8 ppg).

[b]9. [/b][b]Evangel Christian[/b][b] (29-5): [/b]The defending All “A” Classic champions return four starters, including Christian Doerr (18.5 ppg) and Kyran Tilley (16.1 ppg), but have questions in the post with the graduation of Cyr Malonga, now at East Carolina.

[b]10. [/b][b]Covington Catholic[/b][b] (27-5): [/b]The Colonels add Caden Miller, a 6-9 transfer from Arkansas, to the mix to go with experienced guards Brady Hussey (12.5 ppg), a 6-2 senior, and Athens McGillis (4.9 ppg), a 5-11 sophomore and two-year starter. Sophomore point guard Cash Harney (15 ppg) comes over from Beechwood as another weapon.

[b]11. [/b][b]Elizabethtown[/b][b] (24-10): [/b]The defending 5th Region champions are led by Ohio commit Ayden Evans (16.1 ppg)

[b]12. [/b][b]Mason County[/b][b] (29-6): [/b]The Royals picked up brothers Blake (28.6 ppg) and Cayden Reed (16.6 ppg) from Bracken County. Blake Reed has 3,481 career points heading into his senior year.

[b]13. [/b][b]Lexington Catholic[/b][b] (32-3): [/b]The Knights’ 6-5 senior point guard Tyler Doyle (10.3 ppg) recently signed with Bellarmine.

[b]14. [/b][b]George Rogers Clark[/b][b] (30-6): [/b]The Cardinals return senior shooting guard Reshaun Hampton (11.8 ppg) and add in Paris transfer Malachi Ashford (20.8 ppg), a 5-9 sophomore point guard who was the Greyhounds’ leading scorer.

[b]15. [/b][b]Ballard[/b][b] (26-5): [/b]Coach Greg Willis likes the newcomers around lone returning starter Sam Frazier (10.5 ppg). “Really excited about the potential of this group.”

[b]16. [/b][b]Woodford County[/b][b] (22-13): [/b]With standout guard Jasper Johnson off to a Missouri prep school, the Yellow Jackets will be led by junior guard Santonio Waide (10.5 ppg), who made impressive contributions in their Sweet 16 run.

[b]17. [/b][b]DeSales[/b][b] (21-12): [/b]The Colts add transfers Damone King (16 ppg) and Prince Kahnplaye (28 ppg) from Manual and Community Christian (Paducah), respectively, to a strong lineup that includes Liberty signee Will Gibson (11.6 ppg) and Brady Cummins (13.3 ppg).

[b]18. [/b][b]Harlan County[/b][b] (27-6): [/b]Three starters return, including Trent Noah, a 6-7 guard signed with South Carolina, who averaged a double-double last season (26.5 ppg, 12.8 rpg).

[b]19. [/b][b]Ashland Blazer[/b][b] (23-12): [/b]The five-time defending 16th Region champs feature junior Liberty commit Zander Carter (22.2 ppg).

[b]20. [/b][b]St. Xavier[/b][b] (18-14): [/b]Coach Kevin Klein expects to see the dividends of starting one freshman and three sophomores last season. Jeremiah Jackson, a 6-4 sophomore guard, has already drawn recruiting interest from Cincinnati and others.

[b]21. [/b][b]Butler[/b][b] (23-9): [/b]Returnees include seniors and double-digit scorers Dayton Williams (14.4 ppg), a 6-5 forward, and Dontre Russell (10.4 ppg), a 5-10 guard.

[b]22. [/b][b]Manual[/b][b] (21-12): [/b]The Crimsons’ leading returning scorers are juniors Justice Decker (10.5 ppg), a 6-6 forward, and Malachi Coleman (10.2 ppg), a 5-11 guard.

[b]23. [/b][b]North Oldham[/b][b] (25-6): [/b]The Mustangs graduated most of their offensive production, but have two senior starters back in Grant Neal (8.4 ppg) and Jack Fischer (6.4 ppg).

[b]24. [/b][b]McCracken County[/b][b] (29-6): [/b]Coach Dustin Roberts describes his team as talented and hard-nosed, but lacking experience. Senior Connor Miller (8.9 ppg) is the lone returning starter.

[b]25. [/b][b]Corbin[/b][b] (23-8): [/b]Four starters return for the Redhounds, including 5-11 point guard Carter Stewart (10.7 ppg).

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

(Teams mentioned on at least two ballots In points order)
North Hardin, Washington County, Western, Cooper, Madison Southern, Calloway County, Ohio County, Christian County, Jeffersontown, Madison Central, Pikeville, Taylor County, Boyd County.

Have at it, boys and girls !!!!
I'm sorry but these ratings have never meant anything to me.
These ratings were determined by coaches from around the state, not by H-L writers.
Same answer.
Initial thought: unless Western has lost a few players to transfer, they are ranked wwwwaaaayyyy too low. Also haven't kept up, but wondering if Lloyd lost a lot that dropped them out of the rankings entirely.

Probably splitting hairs here, but surprised to see Corbin and McCracken County at the end-- not saying that they aren't good teams, just that I think that some schools like Jeffersontown and Western probably beat them head-to-head, at least early in the season.

Think Evangel Christian and George Rogers Clark may be a little high versus what they'll have to open the season. Feel like those and McCracken may be rooted more in what they've done in previous years than what they bring back this season. For Evangel, I don't know how a team who has lost a 6-10 center to a D1 program but is still rated higher than they ended the past season.

I think DeSales and St. Xavier should also be a bit higher.
(11-25-2023, 05:21 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]Initial thought: unless Western has lost a few players to transfer, they are ranked wwwwaaaayyyy too low. Also haven't kept up, but wondering if Lloyd lost a lot that dropped them out of the rankings entirely.

Probably splitting hairs here, but surprised to see Corbin and McCracken County at the end-- not saying that they aren't good teams, just that I think that some schools like Jeffersontown and Western probably beat them head-to-head, at least early in the season.

Think Evangel Christian and George Rogers Clark may be a little high versus what they'll have to open the season. Feel like those and McCracken may be rooted more in what they've done in previous years than what they bring back this season. For Evangel, I don't know how a team who has lost a 6-10 center to a D1 program but is still rated higher than they ended the past season.

I agree about Western. I was surprised they were not in the top 10.  Corbin will likely play Western in the Cumberland Falls tourney. I give the edge to Corbin, especially if their football guys have rounded into basketball shape. Corbin also gets #19 Ashland at home, #17 Harlan County at home , and #2 Great Crossing just up the road in Pineville.  Do you smell what Old School smells? Lots of good ol' home cooking !  Yummy!!!
(11-25-2023, 05:55 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2023, 05:21 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]Initial thought: unless Western has lost a few players to transfer, they are ranked wwwwaaaayyyy too low. Also haven't kept up, but wondering if Lloyd lost a lot that dropped them out of the rankings entirely.

I agree about Western. I was surprised they were not in the top 10.  Corbin will likely play Western in the Cumberland Falls tourney. I give the edge to Corbin, especially if their football guys have rounded into basketball shape. Corbin also gets #19 Ashland at home, #17 Harlan County at home , and #2 Great Crossing just up the road in Pineville.  Do you smell what Old School smells? Lots of good ol' home cooking !  Yummy!!!

I really like the younger Pietrowski's game. He has some things to clean up that will come with time, but I think there are some things that he can do and he's one of the few kids in the 13th that won't be overwhelmed if they play games out in the state where the whistles aren't as frequent as you'll typically see in the 13th, 14th, or 15th. I've always thought that the whistles in those regions being more frequent during regular season play hurt whoever wound up in Lexington and got officials from the 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, etc., where they usually let more go.
(11-25-2023, 06:27 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2023, 05:55 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

I really like the younger Pietrowski's game. He has some things to clean up that will come with time, but I think there are some things that he can do and he's one of the few kids in the 13th that won't be overwhelmed if they play games out in the state where the whistles aren't as frequent as you'll typically see in the 13th, 14th, or 15th. I've always thought that the whistles in those regions being more frequent during regular season play hurt whoever wound up in Lexington and got officials from the 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, etc., where they usually let more go.
Yeah, Eli's a strong kid with some finesse and good footwork. The Hounds lost their most physical guy in Wells so they'll need Eli be be a strong presence around the basket , along with Worley.
Harlan is best team in the mountains by far and away. Corbin and them will be a fun one to watch. 
Great Crossing GRC Lyon Evangel all talented teams who can make a run at it.

I'm told Western's top two players transferred to Trinity