Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Reed Shephard Effect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have any of you been effected by the Reed Shepherd Effect.  I have.  I have already watched watched\listened to more UK games this season than I have in the several seasons combined and it's all because of Reed Sheppard.  It reminds of years ago when there was no 1 and Done's. We actually felt like we new somewhat about the players.  That caused us or at least it did me to care more about the games.  

Are any of you feeling the same this season?
And we add Travis Perry to the roster next year. Good to see the good KY players wearing the UK blue and producing. Shepherd has already made a huge impact and will continue to do so.
I totally agree with you Westside, and this is like deja vu for me. If you are old enough (I’d say at least mid to late 40s, I’m way past that) you also remember what it was like when Richie Farmer came to UK. It was a total phenomenon, because Richie and his Clay Co. teams were beloved in the state. Eddie Sutton didn’t want him, but the pressure from boosters was just too great. And of course, after Sutton left and Pitino and Rock Oliver got him in shape, he turned into a solid college player. Then, along with Pelphrey, Feldhaus and Woods, they became the Unforgettables, arguably the most beloved team in UK history. The loss to Duke and that rat bastard Laettner is the only time in my life I shed a tear over a sporting event, that’s how much that team meant to everyone. I’d love to hear OSH, Granny Bear, some of the vets, chime in on that.

Anyway, Sheppard can be much better in college than Richie was simply because he has superior physical tools. And his feel for the game is just unmatched. I don’t think it will ever approach Unforgettables status, just because his surrounding teammates are going to be completely different almost every year, but it is still going to be tremendously fun.
He is more advanced at this point than anyone could have realistically expected, especially for the system that he walked into.

He's also the first legacy that I can distinctly recall, and it's nostalgic to remember being a kid and watching his father play on those great teams.

Barring injury, his floor is a role player that you can count on for solid minutes over four seasons.

Know that Cal has a tendency to recruit over anyone and wonder what that looks like going forward. The class of 2024 isn't very strong or deep and he probably keeps or increases his role in the rotation next season, but he also isn't the type of player that Cal has ever gone out of his way to build a team around.

I do wonder if a divide over his and Wagner or Dillingham's playing time eventually gets a little ugly within the fan base, especially as the bigs are phased in and we hit rough stretches.
I think your thought on playing time is an excellent point. I’ve already been wondering where the minutes for the bigs will come from. You’ll hear grumbling if Sheppard is still being productive, but his minutes fall into the 10-12 a game range. However, he may make it impossible for Cal to cut him too drastically if he can produce like he did against St. Joseph’s (a +16 plus/minus despite no points on only one shot taken.)
I like Reed. He has become a solid contributor much sooner than I expected. I didn't think he would see all that many minutes this season. He's bulked up and looks like a real college player. Does anyone remember the days when most freshmen could barely stick their fingers in their butts? You held your breath every time a freshman had his hands on the ball. Now, these freshmen are stars! Hope Reed has a great career. I like being able to watch a kid progress over four years, especially a kid from my neck of the woods.
(11-21-2023, 06:49 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]I think your thought on playing time is an excellent point. I’ve already been wondering where the minutes for the bigs will come from. You’ll hear grumbling if Sheppard is still being productive, but his minutes fall into the 10-12 a game range. However, he may make it impossible for Cal to cut him too drastically if he can produce like he did against St. Joseph’s (a +16 plus/minus despite no points on only one shot taken.)

The only player who should definitely see fewer minutes right now is the one we can't afford to sit for very long-- Mitchell. I don't think they want to play an undersized 4 forced into the 5 this much over the whole year.

Wagner has been in a rut but could really break out with Bradshaw at Jimmy Dykes' "dunker" spot. Those head down drives where he forces his way into the paint and throws something up get much harder to defend with someone who can bail him out by putting his elbows at the rim and catch lobs or clean up misses.

Dillingham is probably going to be what he is. Streaky, no conscious, can carry you when he's on and shoot you out if he's off. Reminds me a lot of the undersized, volume-scoring backup point guard that almost exclusively runs with the 2nd unit in the NBA. You'll have to stay on the rollercoaster with him some or risk losing what you brought him in to do. He'll obviously be reigned in some as he develops, but some that undersized needs to play a little out of control at times. He's the one guy I'd give it to if you need someone to iso or go one-on-one and pull-up.

Going to need those two to be who they are and Reed to be who he can be for the team to hit their ceiling.

I love Sheppard, but look at Quickley's numbers his freshman season. They are the same size, demeanor, and in a similarish-role (undersized two/combo-guard who did a little bit of everything but was primarily going to be a sub as a freshman).

Quickley's offensive game was way more developed and he was a much more polished point. He averaged 5.2 pts., 1.8 rbs., 1.2 assists and 0.4 steals over 18 minutes at a 37.2%, 34.5% and 82.8% clip playing behind Hagans, Quade, Keldon and Herro.

If Sheppard can replicate that over 8-16 minutes, he's outpacing the guy who turned out to be SEC Player of the Year as a sophomore and NBA 6th Man of the Year that's went for 30+ in multiple NBA games five years later.

All of that to say, I think what he's doing is great, but won't be shocked if his metrics revert to the mean as the season goes on and more teams try to take the air out of the ball and get physical during conference play.
(11-21-2023, 08:53 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2023, 06:49 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]I think your thought on playing time is an excellent point. I’ve already been wondering where the minutes for the bigs will come from. You’ll hear grumbling if Sheppard is still being productive, but his minutes fall into the 10-12 a game range. However, he may make it impossible for Cal to cut him too drastically if he can produce like he did against St. Joseph’s (a +16 plus/minus despite no points on only one shot taken.)

The only player who should definitely see fewer minutes right now is the one we can't afford to sit for very long-- Mitchell. I don't think they want to play an undersized 4 forced into the 5 this much over the whole year. 

Wagner has been in a rut but could really break out with Bradshaw at Jimmy Dykes' "dunker" spot. Those head down drives where he forces his way into the paint and throws something up get much harder to defend with someone who can bail him out by putting his elbows at the rim and catch lobs or clean up misses.

Dillingham is probably going to be what he is. Streaky, no conscious, can carry you when he's on and shoot you out if he's off. Reminds me a lot of the undersized, volume-scoring backup point guard that almost exclusively runs with the 2nd unit in the NBA. You'll have to stay on the rollercoaster with him some or risk losing what you brought him in to do. He'll obviously be reigned in some as he develops, but some that undersized needs to play a little out of control at times. He's the one guy I'd give it to if you need someone to iso or go one-on-one and pull-up.

Going to need those two to be who they are and Reed to be who he can be for the team to hit their ceiling.

I love Sheppard, but look at Quickley's numbers his freshman season. They are the same size, demeanor, and in a similarish-role (undersized two/combo-guard who did a little bit of everything but was primarily going to be a sub as a freshman).

Quickley's offensive game was way more developed and he was a much more polished point. He averaged 5.2 pts., 1.8 rbs., 1.2 assists and 0.4 steals over 18 minutes at a 37.2%, 34.5% and 82.8% clip playing behind Hagans, Quade, Keldon and Herro.

If Sheppard can replicate that over 8-16 minutes, he's outpacing the guy who turned out to be SEC Player of the Year as a sophomore and NBA 6th Man of the Year that's went for 30+ in multiple NBA games  five years later.

All of that to say, I think what he's doing is great, but won't be shocked if his metrics revert to the mean as the season goes on and more teams try to take the air out of the ball and get physical during conference play.

You know your basketball.  And that's a fact, Jack!
(11-22-2023, 02:42 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2023, 06:49 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]I think your thought on playing time is an excellent point. I’ve already been wondering where the minutes for the bigs will come from. You’ll hear grumbling if Sheppard is still being productive, but his minutes fall into the 10-12 a game range. However, he may make it impossible for Cal to cut him too drastically if he can produce like he did against St. Joseph’s (a +16 plus/minus despite no points on only one shot taken.)

If Sheppard can replicate that over 8-16 minutes, he's outpacing the guy who turned out to be SEC Player of the Year as a sophomore and NBA 6th Man of the Year that's went for 30+ in multiple NBA games  five years later.

Thanks, much appreciated. I love to watch and talk basketball.
(11-23-2023, 05:39 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2023, 02:42 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks, much appreciated. I love to watch and talk basketball.

It shows!   You are definitely my go to guy for roundball.
(11-21-2023, 01:45 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]I totally agree with you Westside, and this is like deja vu for me. If you are old enough (I’d say at least mid to late 40s, I’m way past that) you also remember what it was like when Richie Farmer came to UK. It was a total phenomenon, because Richie and his Clay Co. teams were beloved in the state. Eddie Sutton didn’t want him, but the pressure from boosters was just too great. And of course, after Sutton left and Pitino and Rock Oliver got him in shape, he turned into a solid college player. Then, along with Pelphrey, Feldhaus and Woods, they became the Unforgettables, arguably the most beloved team in UK history. The loss to Duke and that rat bastard Laettner is the only time in my life I shed a tear over a sporting event, that’s how much that team meant to everyone. I’d love to hear OSH, Granny Bear, some of the vets, chime in on that.

Anyway, Sheppard can be much better in college than Richie was simply because he has superior physical tools. And his feel for the game is just unmatched. I don’t think it will ever approach Unforgettables status, just because his surrounding teammates are going to be completely different almost every year, but it is still going to be tremendously fun.

I remember the Unforgettables very well.  They weren't allowed to play in any tournaments because of UK's recruiting violations (thank you Eddie Sutton), but that didn't diminish their efforts one little bit.  I was coaching an AAU tournament in Nashville when that Duke game was played.  We had a parent in the bleachers that was listening to that game and keeping all of us advised on the score.  We all thought the game had been won, and then that "thing" happened.  Van Hagar, I don't believe I've ever heard you swear before but you are absolutely correct.  That rat bastard lucked out!!!  BUT I would've put SOMEBODY back there so he wouldn't have had such a good line of sight.  Ahhhhh, hindsight!!  Richie Farmer was ridiculed in high school by the starting low post, for not playing good defense! Smile  I can't remember this guy's name, but he was a fantastic player in his own right.  He and a friend was on the Amazing Race and wore Clay County T-shirts the whole time.  Very nice guy!!  But his criticism of Farmer's lack of defense paid off because his defense improved immeasurably in college.
Another note about that AAU game. The parent that was monitoring the Duke game was pregnant. Just before our game ended, she reached down, took my hand and placed it on her belly. She was having major contractions! I looked her straight in the eye and said, Laine take deep breaths and try to relax. You cannot have that baby for at least another hour! Smile She delivered that night. I was with her.
(11-25-2023, 04:10 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]Another note about that AAU game.  The parent that was monitoring the Duke game was pregnant.  Just before our game ended, she reached down, took my hand and placed it on her belly.  She was having major contractions!  I looked her straight in the eye and said, Laine take deep breaths and try to relax.  You cannot have that baby for at least another hour!  Smile  She delivered that night.  I was with her.

I hope she didn't name the baby, Christian(as in, Laettner).

The most "punchable" face in history, especially if one is a UK fan:
Granny, the guy you’re talking about is Mark Jackson. He was on the Amazing Race with a friend of his named Bopper, and he actually graduated after the ‘85 season, when Clay lost to Hopkinsville by one point in the state finals. Richie was a freshman that year. But his point about Richie’s defense was well taken.

As is your point about the final play of that God forsaken game. I remember clearly being at home in front of the tv when they came out of the final timeout, and me and a buddy of mine I was watching the game with started screaming to put somebody on the inbounds pass. We had Aminu Timberlake and Andre Riddick both on the roster, and they were like 6-11 and veerrry long. They would have forced a much more difficult inbounds pass. As much as I think Pitino is one of the all time great college coaches, I think that is one of his most glaring mistakes.
Yes!! Mark Jackson!!

I couldn't believe they didn't put SOMEBODY on the inbounds pass. And you are correct, the 6'11" dude could've at the very least, blocked his direct line of sight!