Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Death Penalty and Abortion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
For those of you who said "abortion is wrong" and "I'm a Christian and I don't believe in killing another person;" what do you think of the death penalty?

Is it ok to kill a grown human being, but not ok to kill a sack of cells inside a woman?

If you're going to post please put a reasoning behind it.

When it basically comes down to it, you're still killing one of God's creations.
ComfortEagle Wrote:For those of you who said "abortion is wrong" and "I'm a Christian and I don't believe in killing another person;" what do you think of the death penalty?

Is it ok to kill a grown human being, but not ok to kill a sack of cells inside a woman?

If you're going to post please put a reasoning behind it.

When it basically comes down to it, you're still killing one of God's creations.

I'm 100% pro-life. I support death as a last resort, only to save the life of another. Whether this be abortion to save the womans life, (which most agree is never needed), or war deaths as a last resort of defense. I do not under any circumstance condone the death penalty for a captured individual. At this point he/she is typically no longer a threat to human life, and if deemed so in prison, strict measures must be taken.
Good thread topic though. I often wonder the same thing.
Ya know CE, and to take that one further... many times its the complete opposite. More often then not actually.

Those who support abortion, typically are anti-death penalty and anti-war. (we're all anti-war, but for lack of a better word)
Good point, absolutely.
I believe in the death penalty. If someone kills another person in cold blood, NOT self-defense, they deserve to die. But then again life in prison with no chance of parole might as well be the death penalty because they have to live with that guilt in an 8x10 cell til the day they die. Let's just say I'm NOT against it IF they are proven guilty of cold blooded murder.

Abortion... I don't believe in it. If a woman is gonna let a man go without protection and she gets pregnant, she should have to live with the responsibility. If a woman is raped and gets pregnant then I see no problem with it.
Redneck Wrote:I believe in the death penalty. If someone kills another person in cold blood, NOT self-defense, they deserve to die. But then again life in prison with no chance of parole might as well be the death penalty because they have to live with that guilt in an 8x10 cell til the day they die. Let's just say I'm NOT against it IF they are proven guilty of cold blooded murder.

Abortion... I don't believe in it. If a woman is gonna let a man go without protection and she gets pregnant, she should have to live with the responsibility. If a woman is raped and gets pregnant then I see no problem with it.

Thats semi-my belief......

The thing is, when I heard word of Saddam Hussein being hung (watched it live basically)..... I wasn't upset....

I know i have a double standard.... but get over it lol

I do however have a problem with the death penalty itself.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Thats semi-my belief......

The thing is, when I heard word of Saddam Hussein being hung (watched it live basically)..... I wasn't upset....

I know i have a double standard.... but get over it lol

I do however have a problem with the death penalty itself.

People like Hussein, Hitler, Shindler, Bin Laden etc. deserve to die.

People like Ted Bundy, Lee Harvey Oswald, Jeffrey Dahmer etc. deserve to die.
Redneck Wrote:People like Hussein, Hitler, Shindler, Bin Laden etc. deserve to die.

They do. But do you deserve to be their judge? Didn't Jesus say, "let him without sin, cast the first stone'??

I agree with you, the DESERVE to die. But are you willing to take a defenseless man/woman, who may have the chance to repent and become a Christian and 'light'.... and deny them the right to life??

So are you saying that you'd do the murdering yourself? You'd slice their throat, flip the switch, etc???

Come on Redneck...

What would Jesus do?
ronald_reagan Wrote:They do. But do you deserve to be their judge? Didn't Jesus say, "let him without sin, cast the first stone'??

I agree with you, the DESERVE to die. But are you willing to take a defenseless man/woman, who may have the chance to repent and become a Christian and 'light'.... and deny them the right to life??

So are you saying that you'd do the murdering yourself? You'd slice their throat, flip the switch, etc???

Come on Redneck...

What would Jesus do?

Kinda put me on the spot there. You make some good points but you also gotta ask yourself this question; What would you do or want done if someone killed someone close to you in cold blood for no reason?
Redneck Wrote:People like Hussein, Hitler, Shindler, Bin Laden etc. deserve to die.

Just curious though, why you include LHO, and Schindler on those lists? Schlinder save 1200 jews from certain death... and has recieved many honors from the Holocaust survivors....

LHO was never charged, convicted, or sentenced for anything......

I find it hard to believe that you'll assume someone to be guilty, before innocence??
Redneck Wrote:Kinda put me on the spot there. You make some good points but you also gotta ask yourself this question; What would you do or want done if someone killed someone close to you in cold blood for no reason?

Life in prison.

Simple enough.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Life in prison.

Simple enough.

IDK man, if it was me and somebody killed one of my family members for no reason I can promise you that I would get revenge myself if the cops didn't get to em first.
Redneck Wrote:IDK man, if it was me and somebody killed one of my family members for no reason I can promise you that I would get revenge myself if the cops didn't get to em first.

Thats human nature I suppose.

but let me ask you once again.. what would Jesus do? If we're supposed to imitate him... what would you do? what would he do?
ronald_reagan Wrote:Thats human nature I suppose.

but let me ask you once again.. what would Jesus do? If we're supposed to imitate him... what would you do? what would he do?

True. I did say earlier that life in prison with no chance of parole would be fine and I stay true to that opinion, I'm just not against the death penalty in some cases.
Redneck Wrote:True. I did say earlier that life in prison with no chance of parole would be fine and I stay true to that opinion, I'm just not against the death penalty in some cases.

I'm not hurt that some are executed.... perhaps thats a flaw (as i think it is)....

but i'd never advocate it, support it, or wish it... its god's role to judge man... not mans role to play god
ronald_reagan Wrote:I'm not hurt that some are executed.... perhaps thats a flaw (as i think it is)....

but i'd never advocate it, support it, or wish it... its god's role to judge man... not mans role to play god

That's true.
I'm for the death penalty, if someone is convicted and sentenced to death, then they should die. Seems to me like this country is getting more and more pussified with every day that passes.
vundy33 Wrote:I'm for the death penalty, if someone is convicted and sentenced to death, then they should die. Seems to me like this country is getting more and more pussified with every day that passes.

Everybody has their own beliefs man. Just because they don't believe in the death penalty that doesn't mean they are a puss. I'm not against it if they are convicted and sentenced like you said, but life in prison with chance of parole is nothin to argue about. They have to live with the guilt and spend the rest of their life in a jail cell and gettin butt raped everyday. Then they get to wish they were dead.
ronald_reagan Wrote:They do. But do you deserve to be their judge? Didn't Jesus say, "let him without sin, cast the first stone'??

Come on Redneck...

What would Jesus do?

To tell you the truth, thats a little bit of the "poisoned religion" that the Cavemaster was talking about. You can't bring religion into this if this country does the whole seperation of church and state thing. This country doesn't live by the bible. We don't have a national religion so IMO religion should be left out of this debate.
vundy33 Wrote:I'm for the death penalty, if someone is convicted and sentenced to death, then they should die. Seems to me like this country is getting more and more pussified with every day that passes.

But what about the documented cases of innocent people being sentenced to death? or actually KILLED (also documented).

If a group of your peers sentenced you to death for a crime you didn't commit... would say the same... "if someone is convicted and sentenced to death.. they should die"?? just curious...:confused:
vundy33 Wrote:To tell you the truth, thats a little bit of the "poisoned religion" that the Cavemaster was talking about. You can't bring religion into this if this country does the whole seperation of church and state thing. This country doesn't live by the bible. We don't have a national religion so IMO religion should be left out of this debate.

Thats completly unfair.

I didn't ask you about what laws should be. I asked you simply, what would Jesus do? And thats only a christian to christian debate.

but if you want to make it a government and 'law' debate, i'll refer you to the founders who by abotu 90-10 agreed that the bible was the basis for all law, that there was no king but Christ, and that this nation was only for a religious and christian people, and for all others, the government would be inadequate...

So answer my question... what would jesus do?
Redneck Wrote:Everybody has their own beliefs man. Just because they don't believe in the death penalty that doesn't mean they are a puss. I'm not against it if they are convicted and sentenced like you said, but life in prison with chance of parole is nothin to argue about. They have to live with the guilt and spend the rest of their life in a jail cell and gettin butt raped everyday. Then they get to wish they were dead.

That's not what I meant...it's just overall topics, not just the death penalty, that seem like the country is just getting weaker and weaker and we give in so much easier. We need the death penalty. Our prisons are way way overcrowded as it is. Like I said before, people that get found guilty and sentenced to death, should be put to death.
vundy33 Wrote:That's not what I meant...it's just overall topics, not just the death penalty, that seem like the country is just getting weaker and weaker and we give in so much easier. We need the death penalty. Our prisons are way way overcrowded as it is. Like I said before, people that get found guilty and sentenced to death, should be put to death.

Overcrowded prisons isn't a result of death penatly or life imprisonments.....

its because of drug and non violent theft.... which should be reformed, not later.. but NOW!
ronald_reagan Wrote:Thats completly unfair.

I didn't ask you about what laws should be. I asked you simply, what would Jesus do? And thats only a christian to christian debate.

but if you want to make it a government and 'law' debate, i'll refer you to the founders who by abotu 90-10 agreed that the bible was the basis for all law, that there was no king but Christ, and that this nation was only for a religious and christian people, and for all others, the government would be inadequate...

So answer my question... what would jesus do?

Frankly, I don't care what Jesus would do on this subject. He also says in the bible to forgive your trespassers 70x7, but no one does that. I don't understand how people want to bring religion in on one subject and then completely disregard it on others.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Overcrowded prisons isn't a result of death penatly or life imprisonments.....

its because of drug and non violent theft.... which should be reformed, not later.. but NOW!

Yes but think of the extra inmates do to not having a death penalty, whether it be 10 or 10,000.
vundy33 Wrote:Frankly, I don't care what Jesus would do on this subject. He also says in the bible to forgive your trespassers 70x7, but no one does that. I don't understand how people want to bring religion in on one subject and then completely disregard it on others.

I can tell. Big Grin

But i forgive my trespassers.. so don't say no one does, just because you don't.

But to answer my question, what would Jesus do? it wasn't 'do you care what Jesus would do?"... had it been that, I can understand your response. Otherwise, don't be afraid to say what Jesus would do, in contrast to what you would...

(this is where you say, "I'm not Jesus, and neither are you.. so we don't knwo for sure what he'd do" lol)
ronald_reagan Wrote:I can tell. Big Grin

But i forgive my trespassers.. so don't say no one does, just because you don't.

But to answer my question, what would Jesus do? it wasn't 'do you care what Jesus would do?"... had it been that, I can understand your response. Otherwise, don't be afraid to say what Jesus would do, in contrast to what you would...

(this is where you say, "I'm not Jesus, and neither are you.. so we don't knwo for sure what he'd do" lol)

Well, I said 70x7. That's 490. That is what I meant, not that no one forgives people at all. I certaintly do. But to get back on topic, Jesus would not have the death penalty from what I've learned for church and the scripture. I guess we just have our different opinions. I can definetly see where your coming from, but I've had some bad experiences in the past with this subject and I guess when I think about it I get fired up.
vundy33 Wrote:Well, I said 70x7. That's 490. That is what I meant, not that no one forgives people at all. I certaintly do. But to get back on topic, Jesus would not have the death penalty from what I've learned for church and the scripture. I guess we just have our different opinions. I can definetly see where your coming from, but I've had some bad experiences in the past with this subject and I guess when I think about it I get fired up.

I can see why. It makes sense. And its a logical standpoint to be for the death penalty, and the more I get to thinking about it, I feel like it was a cheap shot to even bring up the christian 'card'.. ya know? I didn't mean to be that way.. I was only trying to make a point.

I'm sure you too, can understand where I come from and appreciate/respect it, as I do you.
Now I'm bored...lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4