Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Since we're talking cars!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is my dad's old car. Its a 1969 Shelby GT-500 Convertible. 1 of 1 with the options.

Its a 4 speed, 428 Super Cobra Jet (lemans rods, oil cooler), Drag Pak, 3.91 locker, and functional ram air. Total production of the car was 335, in all colors and option. This is the only one built like this.

Here is a link showing some more pics , telling abotu the car and its record high judging and pricing. It sold last year for $451,000 at the Russo-Steele Auction.

http://www.russoandsteele.com/collector_.../6627.html

[Image: 69_500_2667_b.jpg]
[Image: 69_500_2667_right.jpg]
[Image: 69_500_2667_engine.jpg]
[Image: 69_500_2667_left.jpg]
You think your Dad will adopt me?Big Grin Smile So let me get this straight, our dad sold his car for $451,000. How we going to split it?Big Grin
I could have sworn I seen that car in Hemmings Muscle Magazine..thats an awesome ride bro..Those Shelbys have flat taken off the past year..
Crossbones Wrote:You think your Dad will adopt me?Big Grin Smile So let me get this straight, our dad sold his car for $451,000. How we going to split it?Big Grin

If he were alive.. maybe Smile

And he wasn't the owner of the car at the time. He had sold it previously for $37,000. The top blew off during the trip on the trailer, the tires were flat, the floor boards rotted, the engine locked up....

We've (he) owned 3 shelbys in his life. 2 - 1967 shelby gt-500's... and the 1969 above.

They were sweet.

And in response to TideHoss, I'm sure you did. It went for 130,000 in 2001, 339,000 in 2003, and then 451,000 in 2006.. in the future it could be the million dollar mustang.
It also was the cover for Muscle Car Review 2 years ago. I own about 10 copies of it.
ronald_reagan Wrote:If he were alive.. maybe Smile

And he wasn't the owner of the car at the time. He had sold it previously for $37,000. The top blew off during the trip on the trailer, the tires were flat, the floor boards rotted, the engine locked up....

We've (he) owned 3 shelbys in his life. 2 - 1967 shelby gt-500's... and the 1969 above.

They were sweet.

And in response to TideHoss, I'm sure you did. It went for 130,000 in 2001, 339,000 in 2003, and then 451,000 in 2006.. in the future it could be the million dollar mustang.
I was just joking above, I hope you didn't take offence to it. I am sorry about your dad. I love the 1967 gt 500. Pure muscle car. My all time favorite. Got any pictures of the 67's?
Nice Car, I've always loved the '87 Buick Grand Nationals T-Type... Now thats a great car.

I don't know who's this is, but this is what one looks like if no one has seen a GT before...
Crossbones Wrote:I was just joking above, I hope you didn't take offence to it. I am sorry about your dad. I love the 1967 gt 500. Pure muscle car. My all time favorite. Got any pictures of the 67's?

no no, no offense at all!! it was a joke (he died, yes, but i was playin about it all) don't be worried.

I love the 67 as well. I don't have any pics online, but I have some personal pics of them. the first one was a 428 PI block with 427 medium riser heads, lunati roller cam, cross tunnel ram 2 x 4 barrels.... open headers, 4.56 gears and N50's out back..... I once asked dad why he didn't drive it much.. he said, well i drove it twice after i finished it... both times i twisted the driveshaft into.... lol

the other 67 was bought in grundy and we had it about 2-3 weeks before selling it to another guy... Dad was a broker by trade... he would find someone wnating one, then buy the car they wanted, then sell it to them for a pre-determined price. Thats capitalist pig. Smile

i have pictures of a few hundred of the cars he's owned... most for less than a month or so. many though for years.

one pics has me standing in front of a half circle, a 1970 boss 302 (red with black), 1970 torino 429 super cobra jet (yellow with flat black), 1965 7 litre ford galaxie convertible (yellow with black top), 1970 charger r/t 440 4 speed (dark blue), and a 1970 superbee 383 4 speed (plum crazy purple w/ white interior). I love all them old cars... ALL of them.
thats cool RR..I owned a '70 Superbee as well..mine was orange with the black bee stripe, black interior and it also had the 383. I wanted a 4 speed, but for what I paid for it in '99, I couldnt pass it up, lol....it was a nice driver, not a show car by any means..and I miss the heck out of it, lol...your dad spoke my language when it comes to cars..when it comes to classic cars, Im not faithful to one brand, I liked em all..but thats awesome man..
ronald_reagan Wrote:no no, no offense at all!! it was a joke (he died, yes, but i was playin about it all) don't be worried.

I love the 67 as well. I don't have any pics online, but I have some personal pics of them. the first one was a 428 PI block with 427 medium riser heads, lunati roller cam, cross tunnel ram 2 x 4 barrels.... open headers, 4.56 gears and N50's out back..... I once asked dad why he didn't drive it much.. he said, well i drove it twice after i finished it... both times i twisted the driveshaft into.... lol

the other 67 was bought in grundy and we had it about 2-3 weeks before selling it to another guy... Dad was a broker by trade... he would find someone wnating one, then buy the car they wanted, then sell it to them for a pre-determined price. Thats capitalist pig. Smile

i have pictures of a few hundred of the cars he's owned... most for less than a month or so. many though for years.

one pics has me standing in front of a half circle, a 1970 boss 302 (red with black), 1970 torino 429 super cobra jet (yellow with flat black), 1965 7 litre ford galaxie convertible (yellow with black top), 1970 charger r/t 440 4 speed (dark blue), and a 1970 superbee 383 4 speed (plum crazy purple w/ white interior). I love all them old cars... ALL of them.
We have the same love of cars. I love the 70 torina cobra jet also.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:thats cool RR..I owned a '70 Superbee as well..mine was orange with the black bee stripe, black interior and it also had the 383. I wanted a 4 speed, but for what I paid for it in '99, I couldnt pass it up, lol....it was a nice driver, not a show car by any means..and I miss the heck out of it, lol...your dad spoke my language when it comes to cars..when it comes to classic cars, Im not faithful to one brand, I liked em all..but thats awesome man..

he was more of a mopar and fomoco guy, but when it came to making some money, he'd own anything lol

and to blackcat....

check out the 1987 GNX, we had one for a while. they are modified by mclaren and were 'rated' at 276 hp, but would do 0-60 in sub-5's, and quarter in low 13... they intoduced domestically, the honeycomb rims! they were unbelievable..

the funny thing is... from a dead stop... without a break torque boost build... if you punched it, it would pull out 'decent'... and at about 15-20mph start spinning like crazy.. after the booost was built up. but from a dead stop, you'd be lucky to get even a chirp until boost built. I think they used a t-76 garret turbo... so it took a bit to get into the boost.
Crossbones Wrote:We have the same love of cars. I love the 70 torina cobra jet also.

it was the supercobra jet with solid lifters and 780 holley... 4.30 detroit locker.. and shaker hood!! it was sweeeeet!
ronald_reagan Wrote:he was more of a mopar and fomoco guy, but when it came to making some money, he'd own anything lol

and to blackcat....

check out the 1987 GNX, we had one for a while. they are modified by mclaren and were 'rated' at 276 hp, but would do 0-60 in sub-5's, and quarter in low 13... they intoduced domestically, the honeycomb rims! they were unbelievable..

the funny thing is... from a dead stop... without a break torque boost build... if you punched it, it would pull out 'decent'... and at about 15-20mph start spinning like crazy.. after the booost was built up. but from a dead stop, you'd be lucky to get even a chirp until boost built. I think they used a t-76 garret turbo... so it took a bit to get into the boost.

Yeah, the GNX is sharp, and I hear that they only made around 500. So that's a really rare car.
ronald_reagan Wrote:it was the supercobra jet with solid lifters and 780 holley... 4.30 detroit locker.. and shaker hood!! it was sweeeeet!
I meant to say supercobra jet, just left off the super. I bet it was.:rockon:
blackcat_student Wrote:Yeah, the GNX is sharp, and I hear that they only made around 500. So that's a really rare car.

547... yeah

I think, not sure, but it was number 301 or 311?
ronald_reagan Wrote:547... yeah

I think, not sure, but it was number 301 or 311?

Thats awesome, how much did you sale it for?
blackcat_student Wrote:Thats awesome, how much did you sale it for?

it was auctioned around 1994-95 for like $32-something...... today they're goin for about 50-75 depending on mileage and condition.

the gnx, on car and driver tv... shows some great footage of them
ronald_reagan Wrote:it was auctioned around 1994-95 for like $32-something...... today they're goin for about 50-75 depending on mileage and condition.

That's surprising.

I was introduced to them by my brother, he has owned about 23 of them... And he has raced them at Clay City, Bristol, and Bowling Green. Always enjoyed going to the drag races, but haven't had the chance in awhile.
blackcat_student Wrote:That's surprising.

I was introduced to them by my brother, he has owned about 23 of them... And he has raced them at Clay City, Bristol, and Bowling Green. Always enjoyed going to the drag races, but haven't had the chance in awhile.

We once had a Fiero with a GN motor in it. Talking about FAST!!!!! It was crazy!!!

Another interesting car was the 89 T/A turbo which had an updated GN motor. They could/would put down 13's from the factory.
blackcat_student Wrote:That's surprising.

I love Beech Bend in bowling Green!

I used to go every year to the Muscle Car Nationals!

Bob Karakashien, John Mino, Paul Zuloff, Rick Lassiteer.... I remember all off them... Lawrence Connaly is a name that EVERYONE knows when it comes to turbo buicks... he's unreal!!!

John Mino though, he had a 68 firebird 400 ram air II.... it was unbelivable... 12.30's in the quarter.. STOCK.. he just had the tune, the tires, and the experience....