Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Six class system-success or not?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think a lot of the "weaker" teams have benifited from it. This year I think 4A was a pretty weak class overall . Warren East has been in the same district as Bowling Green for over thirty years. Bowling Green has beaten East 23 years in a row. Our current coach (Kevin Wallace) was the coach at East the last time they won.. We beat East 35-7 this year and it could have been worse. Yet East was 4 minutes away from playing in the finals. My point is that all it has accomplished is that it gives a lot of the "weaker" teams a chance to win a championship. Why not go to a 12 class system then?
We are probably in the minority but I think it was as well. In the end most of the serious contender in each class was the list of usual suspects. But the expansion does give some teams a little more hope. For that reason alone I think it is a success.

Plus it makes more money.Big Grin
I say no and the only reason is because the reason it was created was to reduce cost and everyone knows it did not. That is really the only reason b/c it didn't do what it was suppost to do.

However, I like how EKY teams had a better playing field.
I think it was a good thing but I think the playoffs need tweaked. No way should a winless team be in the playoffs and a team with a better record be left out because the KHSAA decided their district would have 5 teams.
The six class system has made Bowling Greens road a little harder. We had been in class 3A forever. This year 11 of our 14 games were against teams that were in class 4A last year. The other 3 games were Boyle County, Franklin Simpson and Warren East. All of our playoff games were teams from 4A last year. It's made our road to the finals much harder and with only 3 other teams in our district it's hard to schedule 7 other games.
I also think a team like Belfry could probably win the 4A title and play with the big boys in 5A as well. (WOW) I just noticed I'm no longer a waterboy. My parents are going to be soooo proud.
I say it wasnt all it does is make a state championship not as important. Instead of being a top 4 team in the state now your top 6. Plus everybody in the finals their is nobody new except louisville central and loan oak. They should of kept it like it was it meant more last year then it will this year.
I disagree. I think that having 4 or 5 district teams is a GOOD thing, and that those other 6 or 7 games you can schedule what you wish: old rivals, new rivals, tougher competition...

Plus, it was a nice change of pace to NOT play Cawood again in the post season opener Tongue
I don't know about the rest of the state but in western kentucky it's hard to find many teams that want to play Bowling Green. Plus I too think it has "watered down" the championships.
Some classes are tough, some classes have the same ole same oles, some classes have winless team sin the 3rd round, some classes have the championship game in the 3rd round. I dont know if it is good or bad, but i do know that it is making more money for schools.
its ok but i know belfry has more students than that...they need to be in AAAA..
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Some classes are tough, some classes have the same ole same oles, some classes have winless team sin the 3rd round, some classes have the championship game in the 3rd round. I dont know if it is good or bad, but i do know that it is making more money for schools.

Money should not be a factor in high school football but we all know it is. Thats what makes it so special. These young men are out there playing it for the game.
RustyShackleford Wrote:its ok but i know belfry has more students than that...they need to be in AAAA..
:confused: Rolleyes So who's team do you play for that they beat?
adopted purple Wrote:The six class system has made Bowling Greens road a little harder. We had been in class 3A forever. This year 11 of our 14 games were against teams that were in class 4A last year. The other 3 games were Boyle County, Franklin Simpson and Warren East. All of our playoff games were teams from 4A last year. It's made our road to the finals much harder and with only 3 other teams in our district it's hard to schedule 7 other games.

How tough would it have been if Highlands would have stayed in class 3A to which they had originally been assigned? You would be preparing to win a game 60 - 10 this week. You have a 5A population (over 22% larger than Highlands) so you have to play 5A schools, with the exception of little old Highlands.
RustyShackleford Wrote:its ok but i know belfry has more students than that...they need to be in AAAA..

Belfry's enrollment is 700. 4A schools are in the mid 800's.
One exception though to you theory. Highlands is sitting in as a football feeder school capital. They gain great athletes from Kentucky and Ohio. I am not saying they are doing anything wrong, just stating the obvious. Same as Belfry. The schools sit in an area where they have a greater chance at better athletes. It's completely legal and I have no problems with it whatsoever. Bowling Green doesn't have that same chance, they have to play with the kids that are given them. Highlands does have an edge. Just my opinion. Little old Highlands is not the underdog.
While Highlands may be blessed with a certain amount of innate talent as many players are themselves the children and grandchildren of past Highlands stars, the amount of work and dedication put in by the kids and the community is second to none. Since elementary school, children in the Fort Thomas Junior Football League are taught a watered down version of the Highlands playbook, and spend six years getting acquainted with their future Bluebird brethren.

Once they reach the high school level, they are introduced to conditioning and weight training programs of the highest level and are fully immersed in the Highlands Football tradition.

So while a certain amount of Highlands success can be traced to raw talent, the biggest factor in this fans opinion is the high level of community involvement and the coaching/team management system which has made Highlands football what Highlands football is.
CakeEater88 Wrote:While Highlands may be blessed with a certain amount of innate talent as many players are themselves the children and grandchildren of past Highlands stars, the amount of work and dedication put in by the kids and the community is second to none. Since elementary school, children in the Fort Thomas Junior Football League are taught a watered down version of the Highlands playbook, and spend six years getting acquainted with their future Bluebird brethren.

Once they reach the high school level, they are introduced to conditioning and weight training programs of the highest level and are fully immersed in the Highlands Football tradition.

So while a certain amount of Highlands success can be traced to raw talent, the biggest factor in this fans opinion is the high level of community involvement and the coaching/team management system which has made Highlands football what Highlands football is.
:thumpsup: They have a great tradition, no doubt. They kids in the Belfry area are taught the same thing from grade school to middle school to be prepared for the High school game.
Crossbones Wrote:One exception though to you theory. Highlands is sitting in as a football feeder school capital. They gain great athletes from Kentucky and Ohio. I am not saying they are doing anything wrong, just stating the obvious. Same as Belfry. The schools sit in an area where they have a greater chance at better athletes. It's completely legal and I have no problems with it whatsoever. Bowling Green doesn't have that same chance, they have to play with the kids that are given them. Highlands does have an edge. Just my opinion. Little old Highlands is not the underdog.

They also have much greater competition for the talent you are talking about. Does Bowling green have 2 private and and a dozen or more public schools within a 30 minute drive of campus? This does not include the dozens of Ohio schools. People outside of Fort Thomas think that the best and brightest football players are lined up at the border begging to get into Highlands. Sorry, but when I left town this morning on my way to work, I didn't see one. The majority of the kids on any given Highlands team have played together since 3rd grade, as had their fathers before them.
Blau Vogel Wrote:They also have much greater competition for the talent you are talking about. Does Bowling green have 2 private and and a dozen or more public schools within a 30 minute drive of campus? This does not include the dozens of Ohio schools. People outside of Fort Thomas think that the best and brightest football players are lined up at the border begging to get into Highlands. Sorry, but when I left town this morning on my way to work, I didn't see one. The majority of the kids on any given Highlands team have played together since 3rd grade, as had their fathers before them.
No doubt there is competition from the other schools in the area. I'll put it this way. If I had the choice to go to any of those schools, I would chose Highlands, simply on the tradition and the 16 titles doesn't hurt either.Big Grin Highlands has great community support and great facilities. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to downgrade Highlands in any way. I have great respect for the program and school. I was just simply stating my opinion why Highlands is not just some little old school that doesn't have a chance. They are a top tier program and play at a top tier level. Most of my reasoning is the population of the surrounding area. The surrounding area at Highlands has a much great population.
It was a good thing in terms of leveling out the playing field a bit.

Unsuccesful by costing less. More teams have to travel farther than ever in the playoffs.
Here are some intersting facts.
A playoffs: 15 of 32 teams did not have a winning record- 1 team had 0 wins-1team had 1 win- 4 teams had 2 wins.

AA playoffs:18 of 32 teams did not have a winning record-1 team had 0 wins-1 team had 2 wins

AAA playoffs: 17 of 32 teams did not have a winning record-0 teams were winless-1 team had 1 win.

AAAA playoffs: 20 of 32 teams did not have a winning a record- 1 team was winless-1 team had 1 win- 4 teams had 2 wins.

AAAAA playoffs: 15 of 32 teams did not have a winning record-1 team was winless- 2 teams had 2 wins.

AAAAAA playoffs: 13 of 32 teams did not have a winning season-1 team was winless- 2 teams had 2 wins.

So looking at the breakdown I would say 6A edged out 5A as the toughest or should I say closest.
3A was the best competition or evenly matched. Seconded by 2A then 1A.
4A was by far the weakest in the state this year.. Just a thought.