Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Sean Pennington, Steve Jewell, Couch, Darrin Clark
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1990 Jeremey Niece of Estill County was first team QB for his father in Irvine. 
1998 Floyd Branham Guard Middlesboro
Scotty Russell RB Evarts
Jeremy Caudill Prestonsburg and Joey Stepp Martin County these to linemen were special players in the 15th region . 
Quentin Henson RB Lynn Camp 
John Hollin Tackle Lynn Camp 1992.
Mark Deaton tackle Clay County 1990.
1982 David Hensley RB Cawood is a special two sport star that more people should know about.
Jeff Kyle DB Middlesboro. 
Tony Sergeant Whitesburg and John Gilliam Prestonsburg both all state LB in 1982. 
Buddy Arvin DE Estill County 1982 and Eural Allen DL Cumberland 1983. I always try to look the season before to see if the players were honorable mention so i have the names correct. 
1993 Hillary Smallwood DE Cawood, DeShea Henson RB Clay County, and Phillip Barnhill Tackle Evarts and Darrin Shelley Tackle Whitley County, George Massey Tackle Cumberland.
1977 Jerry Butcher OG Johnson Central and 1978 Dean Hall LB East Carter.
1983 Vic Adams OL Middlesboro 
Where is Ballard Memorial High School? We all know were Paducah Tilghman sets. McCracken Central was made from three consolidated schools. 15 miles west of this new school is Ballard Memorial. 
Fulton County 0-7 at Ballard Memorial 0-6 on Friday. 
Breathitt County 1995 and Prestonsburg 1993 both with road playoffs wins at Danville. 
If you travel 40 west at the spilt in Knoxville pass the Harriman exit up the mountain down in the valley is Rockwood High School. 1976 they won state finals 3-0. I been trying to find out if the boy kicked the field goal in last minute of play or four minutes before halftime. 
Old School Hound the grandpa of the Corbin QB visit his brother 5 doors down from my mother in the nursing facility. We talk in the hallway. I give him the Corbin News Journal sports page for his scrapbook. From 1977 to 1998 they are over 25 Corbin players listed first, second or 3rd team all state. 
Many players to remember as i tried to found names of greatness on the football field.
(10-11-2023, 10:50 PM)wheeler Wrote: [ -> ]1990 Jeremey Niece of Estill County was first team QB for his father in Irvine. 
Scotty Russell RB Evarts
Jeremy Caudill Prestonsburg and Joey Stepp Martin County these to linemen were special players in the 15th region . 
1982 David Hensley RB Cawood is a special two sport star that more people should know about.
Tony Sergeant Whitesburg and John Gilliam Prestonsburg both all state LB in 1982. 
Buddy Arvin DE Estill County 1982 and Eural Allen DL Cumberland 1983. I always try to look the season before to see if the players were honorable mention so i have the names correct. 
1993 Hillary Smallwood DE Cawood, DeShea Henson RB Clay County, and Phillip Barnhill Tackle Evarts and Darrin Shelley Tackle Whitley County, George Massey Tackle Cumberland.
Where is Ballard Memorial High School? We all know were Paducah Tilghman sets. McCracken Central was made from three consolidated schools. 15 miles west of this new school is Ballard Memorial. 
Breathitt County 1995 and Prestonsburg 1993 both with road playoffs wins at Danville. 
If you travel 40 west at the spilt in Knoxville pass the Harriman exit up the mountain down in the valley is Rockwood High School. 1976 they won state finals 3-0. I been trying to find out if the boy kicked the field goal in last minute of play or four minutes before halftime. 
Old School Hound the grandpa of the Corbin QB visit his brother 5 doors down from my mother in the nursing facility. We talk in the hallway. I give him the Corbin News Journal sports page for his scrapbook. From 1977 to 1998 they are over 25 Corbin players listed first, second or 3rd team all state. 
Many players to remember as i tried to found names of greatness on the football field.

***Cawood's Hensley was a special athlete. Terrific football and basketball player.

***  Jeff Kyle wanted to play his senior year at Corbin. It looked like it was going to happen. He moved (briefly) from Middlesboro to Corbin in 1982, enrolled at CHS and started practicing with the team. And then came... the death threats. You see, Jeff was an African-American young man. He would have been the first black to play football at Corbin. According to Jeff most of his teammates were all for it. But apparently not everyone was so open to Jeff breaking the color barrier at Corbin.  Jeff and his mother, who was back in Middlesboro , both received threats. Unfortunately, Jeff Kyle, a terrific football player, never got to suit up in a game for the Redhounds. I'm glad times are changing. There still needs to more changes in the GOB mindset that has dominated and controlled Corbin football for more than four decades.

*** I think I will skip Corbin-Whitley on Friday and head out west to take in that titanic struggle between winless Fulton County and winless Ballard Memorial. Hell, it couldn't be anymore boring than Bart (Simpson) Elam's bland offense that has fans wanting to leave at halftime to go to household chores instead of hanging around to watch another half of unexciting, non-creative offensive football.

So says an Old School Hound...
(10-11-2023, 11:35 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2023, 10:50 PM)wheeler Wrote: [ -> ]1990 Jeremey Niece of Estill County was first team QB for his father in Irvine. 
Scotty Russell RB Evarts

***Cawood's Hensley was a special athlete. Terrific football and basketball player.

***  Jeff Kyle wanted to play his senior year at Corbin. It looked like it was going to happen. He moved (briefly) from Middlesboro to Corbin in 1982, enrolled at CHS and started practicing with the team. And then came... the death threats. You see, Jeff was an African-American young man. He would have been the first black to play football at Corbin. According to Jeff most of his teammates were all for it. But apparently not everyone was so open to Jeff breaking the color barrier at Corbin.  Jeff and his mother, who was back in Middlesboro , both received threats. Unfortunately, Jeff Kyle, a terrific football player, never got to suit up in a game for the Redhounds. I'm glad times are changing. There still needs to more changes in the GOB mindset that has dominated and controlled Corbin football for more than four decades.

*** I think I will skip Corbin-Whitley on Friday and head out west to take in that titanic struggle between winless Fulton County and winless Ballard Memorial. Hell, it couldn't be anymore boring than Bart (Simpson) Elam's bland offense that has fans wanting to leave at halftime to go to household chores instead of hanging around to watch another half of unexciting, non-creative offensive football.

So says an Old School Hound...
  Isnt Hensley's son a star RB at LCA  ? Played last year at Madison Central and transfered this season to LCA.
More on Jeff Kyle, who was ALMOST a member of the last Corbin football team to win a state title . Jeff was just an incredibly gifted athlete, one of the best the 13th region has seen in the last four decades.

Kyle compiled one of the most brilliant multi-sport careers by a 13th Region athlete during the early 80's. Kyle earned 1982 first team all-state honors on the football field as a senior when he rushed for 12 touchdowns, passed for 11 scores, and returned 4 punts for touchdowns. Talk about versatile. He played for back-to-back MHS basketball regional champions in 1982 and 1983, averaging 26.4 points and 13 rebounds to garner second team all-state awards in his final season. Kyle also was a star pitcher and shortstop for a Jacket baseball team that reached the 1982 Final Four. A three-sport All-SEKC selection , he played a season of Big Ten football where he started at defensive back for the University of Minnesota.