Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg at Floyd Central 10/13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Prestonsburg (4-3)
Aug 18, 23 Leslie County home (W) 30 - 21 
Aug 26, 23 East Ridge at Pikeville (W) 26 - 6 Pike County Bowl 
Sep 1, 23 Paintsville away (L) 38 - 40 
Sep 8, 23 Lewis County home (W) 42 - 28 
Sep 15, 23 Pike County Central away (W) 13 - 7 
Sep 22, 23 Betsy Layne away (L) 14 - 33 
Sep 29, 23 Martin County away (L) 0 - 44

Floyd Central (4-3)
Aug 18, 23 Paintsville away (W) 28 - 22 
Aug 26, 23 Leslie County away (L) 14 - 36 
Aug 31, 23 Powell County home (W) 36 - 22 
Sep 8, 23 West Carter home (W) 28 - 27 
Sep 15, 23 Betsy Layne away (L) 8 - 41 
Sep 22, 23 Pike County Central home (L) 18 - 28 
Sep 29, 23 Knott County Central away (W) 36 - 20

Recent History 
Sep 15, 2017 Prestonsburg 42 Floyd Central 22
Sep 14, 2018 Floyd Central 49 Prestonsburg 6
Sep 20, 2019 Floyd Central 40 Prestonsburg 13
Sep 18, 2020 Floyd Central 22 Prestonsburg 12
Sep 17, 2021 Prestonsburg 26 Floyd Central 24
Sep 16, 2022 Prestonsburg 33 Floyd Central 28

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...477a513d3d
I think Prestonsburg is the more talented team, but they’ve dealt with a lot of injuries recently and those injuries have added up and that’s affected about every aspect of this team. They’ve had a rough few weeks, but that all can change with a win this Friday over in county rival and district opponent, Floyd Central.

The Blackcats need Jacob Rose to be healthy and stay healthy for a whole game. He’s a huge part of this offense. The offense was averaging around 34 points and 350 yards of offense when he was healthy. Since he went out of the Betsy Layne game, Prestonsburg’s offense has been non existent. Now whether he is healthy or not, there’s still plenty of skill and talent to move the ball. Got to find ways to get Dalton Elliott the football in open space. So far this season, he’s been the target on screens, sweeps, RPO, and out routes. His route history is well documented in film and everyone knows what to look for. Gotta find ways to play him at about every skill position to try and create mismatches and confusion. I think he could help out the offense out of the backfield. Wheel/rail routes, counter, draws, etc. He’s just too good not to be used in more ways.

I’m really hoping Kane Patton’s healthy enough to play offense again. He’s been absent that side of the ball for a month now because of a broken hand. He’s a big time weapon that was really coming on before his injury. If he can comfortably catch a ball again, he’s going to help this offense a lot.

I think almost equally as important as the health of Jacob Rose is the confidence of freshman QB, Bryce Holbrook. The kid started the season confident and played with swagger. Looked like an upperclassmen at times running the offense, but ever since the pick 6 vs Betsy Layne he’s not looked the same. He’s as skilled as about any freshman QB in the state, but he still has a lot of learning and maturing left to do. This team needs him if they want to host a home playoff game and have a shot at making a run in the playoffs.

The Blackcats offensive line has to get their confidence and mojo back as well. This group is also better than what we’ve seen these last few games. I think they would benefit from adding in an extra blocker at TE, especially for pass protection.

Defensively Prestonsburg gets back two defensive linemen, Nick Adams and Logan Hall. Hall played against Martin County, but only at center. Wasn’t healthy enough to play both ways. Adams missed the MC game. Both will be needed in this game.

Floyd Central is going to take their shots to Brody Buck and Peterson. They’ve been consistent every week taking their shots downfield in the passing game. I look for the Jaguars to try and do exactly what Martin County done on the ground, but throw a little more to Buck & Peterson. Blackcats secondary has to be disciplined in their coverage and can’t lose sight of either of those two.

This is a huge game. I expect a great atmosphere and fun game. I think if Pburg plays the way they’re capable of on offense, they’ll win this game. But if they come out flat and struggle to move the football, then they lose. It’s as simple as that to me.

Go Blackcats!!!