Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 4A RPI Rankings Week Of 9/24
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Go Ashland go !!!! They are our best hope for getting a Corbin-Boyle championship game!!!
Not impressed with RPI. I truly do not believe it is representative of the strength of teams.
RPI don't lie, as far of strength in schedule and who's team(s) they have played and beaten. Now RPI will most likely NOT pick the state champ in the end, but It just shows now who has played a cupcake schedule so far.
(09-25-2023, 10:48 AM)HenryHankHill Wrote: [ -> ]Not impressed with RPI. I truly do not believe it is representative of the strength of teams.
Is it made to determine the strength of a team or the strength of their schedule?
(09-25-2023, 11:26 AM)Upnorth Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2023, 10:48 AM)HenryHankHill Wrote: [ -> ]Not impressed with RPI. I truly do not believe it is representative of the strength of teams.
Is it made to determine the strength of a team or the strength of their schedule?

Strength of Schedule!!!   It doesn't pretend (well, maybe it does pretend) to measure how good a team is but you absolutely can't compare one team vs another on their respective RPIs. It was either last season or the one before that Hazard had about the same RPI as Louisville Trinity at the end of the regular season. Do I need to say more?

The KHSAA should scrap RPI in favor of Calpreps, which is a much, MUCH better algorithm for determining the relative strength of teams.
Everyone understands how RPI works now. If you have a bad RPI tell your respective teams Coach to stop playing cupcakes.
And out of state schools
(09-25-2023, 11:39 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone understands how RPI works now. If you have a bad RPI tell your respective teams Coach to stop playing cupcakes.

Folks know how RPI works but that goes both ways. Teams like Pikeville for example can’t field a full 10 game schedule and only have 3 home games. Why? Because higher class teams get nothing by playing Pikeville because they are 1A and have the chance to beat whatever team that is higher class than them. So it’s a lose for the other teams to play so they go find another cupcake school to boost their RPI who is willing to play them.
(09-25-2023, 12:10 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Go Ashland go !!!!  They are our best hope for getting a Corbin-Boyle championship game!!!

I think you owe someone an apology.
(09-25-2023, 01:04 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2023, 11:39 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone understands how RPI works now. If you have a bad RPI tell your respective teams Coach to stop playing cupcakes.

Folks know how RPI works but that goes both ways. Teams like Pikeville for example can’t field a full 10 game schedule and only have 3 home games. Why? Because higher class teams get nothing by playing Pikeville because they are 1A and have the chance to beat whatever team that is higher class than them. So it’s a lose for the other teams to play so they go find another cupcake school to boost their RPI who is willing to play them.

A teams first two games against lower classed teams do not hurt the weight factor in RPI. That should help with lower classed schools. Pikeville is unlucky due to the fact they only have 3 teams in their district.
(09-25-2023, 01:08 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2023, 01:04 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]

A teams first two games against lower classed teams do not hurt the weight factor in RPI. That should help with lower classed schools. Pikeville is unlucky due to the fact they only have 3 teams in their district.

That’s also very true

Trinity consistently plays one of the tougher schedules of any team and yet their RPI has been low, relative to how good they are. A lot of this is due to their playing out-of -state powers.

Corbin had no business scheduling Hughes or Hazard if RPI was any consideration.

(09-25-2023, 01:06 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2023, 12:10 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Go Ashland go !!!!  They are our best hope for getting a Corbin-Boyle championship game!!!

I think you owe someone an apology.

I'm sorry, plant guy.  Smile     Was that what you were thinking when you said Corbin and Boyle wouldn't meet in the playoffs?

Still, if Ashland somehow manages to secure #3(I don't think they will because JC will whip the Cats, imo), Corbin and Boyle would still likely meet in the playoffs(Kroger Field).   What was your thinking for the statement you made about no Corbin-Boyle playoff game? I still think the probability is high that Corbin/Boyle will meet at some point this season.
Cupcakes can still be played, just pick a easy 6A school. That will get you a higher RPI but will not get you ready for the post season.
(09-25-2023, 08:09 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: [ -> ]Cupcakes can still be played, just pick a easy 6A school.  That will get you a higher RPI but will not get you ready for the post season.

But why would a cupcake 6A team want to play a lower seed? Does nothing for them.
(09-25-2023, 08:15 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2023, 08:09 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: [ -> ]Cupcakes can still be played, just pick a easy 6A school.  That will get you a higher RPI but will not get you ready for the post season.

But why would a cupcake 6A team want to play a lower seed? Does nothing for them.

I don't know but it happens weekly.  It's smart on the lower class schools but maybe someone from the 6A schools that have no chance with the Big Dogs of 6A can explain why they do?

Personally IMO Boyle should end the Danville series.
Pikeville should move up to 2a or 3A where they belong. The only reason they wanna stay in 1A is the competition is low. They won’t have trouble getting games at 2 or 3 a
If both Boyle and Ashland win out.... I could see a CC vs Corbin and Boyle vs Ashland third round. Ashland still has >1 rpi team left on schedule.. Am I figuring that wrong?

So east would look like via rpi
1. CC
2. Boyle
3. Ashland
4. Corbin
(09-25-2023, 10:26 PM)AverageJoe Wrote: [ -> ]If both Boyle and Ashland win out....  I could see a CC vs Corbin and Boyle vs Ashland third round.  Ashland still has >1 rpi team left on schedule..    Am I figuring that wrong?

1. CC
2. Boyle
3. Ashland
4. Corbin
That scenario would also have Johnson Central at Cov Cath in round 2.  Corbin in round 3 and possibly Boyle at Cov Cath in round 4.
(09-25-2023, 10:31 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2023, 10:26 PM)AverageJoe Wrote: [ -> ]If both Boyle and Ashland win out....  I could see a CC vs Corbin and Boyle vs Ashland third round.  Ashland still has >1 rpi team left on schedule..    Am I figuring that wrong?

1. CC
2. Boyle
3. Ashland
4. Corbin
That scenario would also have Johnson Central at Cov Cath in round 2.  Corbin in round 3 and more than likely Boyle at Cov Cath in round 4.
Sounds about right.. I could see Corbin beating CC @ CC  in round 3.  That would put Corbin @ Boyle for semi 
Again- all just speculation at this point.  Zero games have ever been won on paper!   
East seems STACKED
I don’t Think Boyle will pass Franklin County and Tilghman is ahead now.

1. CC
2. Boyle
3. Ashland
4. Corbin
 Spot on!!!
(09-25-2023, 10:37 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t Think Boyle will pass Franklin County and Tilghman is ahead now.

I think Tilghman will drop under Boyle with their last game of the season.
I think the Ashland game with Simon Kenton at the end of regular season will be big In RPI standing in 4A