Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prep Recruits?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can a high school team win if they don’t recruit?  In 2023 apparently every team with a chance at a championship is full of recruits.  Do high schools who want to win need to set up a recruiting budget?  
Oh, I am sure some schools already have a recruiting plan/budget.

The FIRST thing that needs to happen is for KHSAA to make recruiting legal, so these schools aren't having to sneak around and break the law.
(09-16-2023, 11:08 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: [ -> ]Can a high school team win if they don’t recruit?  In 2023 apparently every team with a chance at a championship is full of recruits.  Do high schools who want to win need to set up a recruiting budget?  
First of all the term recruiting needs more attention. If a team is successful and kids transfer to play for that team you have  a lot  of people scream this term when they don’t know what they are talking about. If you are talking about coaches contacting student athletes from other programs to come to their school and play….that’s illegal. A recruiting budget??? That’s crazy unless you are a private school and I believe that’s even unheard of. Are really asking this question for real our are you trying to stir the pot ?? Hahah
YES, thank you Granny! Stop pretending that we have rules and then break them on a case by case basis. At least, then, schools that try to follow the rules and not worry about sanctions and penalties could decide if football and other sports are important enough in their mission to dive into the circus of recruiting that now exists. Just make it fair for everyone by ALLOWING it.

Charter schools would help a lot too! It’s America! Why shouldn’t the citizens be allowed to decide where their kids are educated and how THEIR tax dollars are being used to provide that education?
(09-16-2023, 11:10 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I am sure some schools already have a recruiting plan/budget.

The FIRST thing that needs to happen is for KHSAA to make recruiting legal, so these schools aren't having to sneak around and break the law.
You know Granny I’ve spent time thinking about some things. If we allow kids to start making money playing high school sports then rules have to change on this subject. It becomes professional sports there for a school should be allowed to pursue what athletes they want in their program. Talk about opening a can of worms haha
Have a top-notch school system, build top-notch sports facilities, hire top-notch coaches, have top-notch youth programs, and have awesome community support and you will never have to recruit. If you don't have those things you aren't able to recruit. Recruiting is way overblown IMO and seems to be a thing with mostly just the whiners.
RAMDAD, that can of worms was opened a long time ago.

I'm not going to mention any names or schools here, but I know for a fact that there was so much recruiting in sports a few years ago that it was nicknamed the "Canadian Pipeline". AND, if the foster family didn't do exactly what was expected of them, the recruit would be moved to another foster family. As stupid as this sounds, I was at a game one night when the offended foster family yelled obscenities to the recruited students during a ballgame because he had left that family!!!

Now, as far as payment is concerned, there are soft dollars involved. ROTC may not pay me $10K but he can buy me a car in someone else's name.

It's not difficult. It's the same shit; different day phenomenon. Money talks, BS walks.
Jet pilot- you might be 100% correct.

BUT- according to the KHSAA RULES; a kid is still supposed to attend and play sports at the high school he/she enrolls in as a freshman UNLESS a legitimate change of address occurs.

HS AD’s are also to blame for LYING and checking the box that says he/she did not participate at the varsity level last season.

Let’s just get rid of “pretense” and free people to go to a top notch school and play for a top notch coach at a top notch program IF THEY WANT TO.
^^^To be clear, I don't disagree with the change of residence rule at all.
Yes, Granny! It’s been done in 16th region basketball with manipulation of the foreign exchange program.

Imagine the look on Andy and Barney’s face if kids just randomly started showing up in “foreign exchange” host houses from Serbia or Puerto Rico to play ball for the Mayberry Mawlers!?!?!?!?
I HATE recruiting. I'm old fashioned. I like the concept of a community of kids coming together with school pride and loyalty. I believe recruiting has diluted that considerably and I believe it will hurt us in the long run.

BUT, if that's what everybody wants, then that's what should happen. Just make it legal. The way it is now, all that is happening is that the middle men are getting rich.
Mayberry Mawlers!!!!!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I’m old fashioned, too. I like the idea of a bunch of boys growing up and playing together and dreaming of putting together a championship run. Sweating, bleeding, and crying it out together.

But, I’m also AMERICAN. Sometimes, corrupt admin ruin it for kids and don’t give them the best opportunity.

I’d hate to see Opey Taylor gritting his teeth and standing on the sidelines while a bunch of kids from Charlotte take the field for the Mawlers!!????
(09-16-2023, 11:14 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2023, 11:08 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: [ -> ]Can a high school team win if they don’t recruit?  In 2023 apparently every team with a chance at a championship is full of recruits.  Do high schools who want to win need to set up a recruiting budget?  
First of all the term recruiting needs more attention. If a team is successful and kids transfer to play for that team you have  a lot  of people scream this term when they don’t know what they are talking about. If you are talking about coaches contacting student athletes from other programs to come to their school and play….that’s illegal. A recruiting budget??? That’s crazy unless you are a private school and I believe that’s even unheard of. Are really asking this question for real our are you trying to stir the pot ?? Hahah

No pot stirring, but a few years back there were 3 football coaches from a winning program at a basketball game sitting directly across the court from the bench where one of the best football players in the region was playing, not a single coach had any connection with either team participating or any other player in the game. The potential recruits dad/guardian came to the coaches and told them the kid wasn't going anywhere, and they were wasting their time, they left at the half.

Some years back I got to see a recruiting package sent to an athlete from one of the private schools in central KY, and it was an official produced the the school student recruiting information package.

I believe the KHSAA should just allow kids to go where they wish to play and give them a 1 time transfer after they have enrolled in a school for 9th grade.
(09-16-2023, 11:19 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Have a top-notch school system, build top-notch sports facilities, hire top-notch coaches, have top-notch youth programs, and have awesome community support and you will never have to recruit. If you don't have those things you aren't able to recruit. Recruiting is way overblown IMO and seems to be a thing with mostly just the whiners.
I agree 100%. Winning will do 95% of your recruiting. Kids do some. Very few coaches do it. With technology and social media today to much evidence would be available. Pikeville is prime example, they have all the above listed and kids/parents want instant gratification. Last night Pikeville played Belfy and Pikeville had a few kids from Belfry on team now and they played considerable minutes and helped in the win. Now you take those kids away and guess what? Pikeville would still have won(my opinion) because of talent at all positions and more depth. Pikeville coaches and faculty do not have to recruit the environment created there right now does it for them and no rule exist against creating a winning culture that people want to take part in
No, it doesn’t if they live in Pikeville city limits or enrolled there as a freshman. You are 100% correct.
Do transfers ever have a negative effect on the other kids, my question here is: is winning more important than being an actual factor in the winning? Example: Kid plays running back his whole life, starts since he was a freshman, is expecting to get the majority of ball touches his senior year, hoping for an offer from his dream school, then gets bumped to a support roll losing 70% of his touches because someone bigger, faster, stronger, arrives.
If you ain’t recruiting you’re losing.
Very very legitimate question!

But

Who doesn’t shop at Wal-Mart after it forced the local mom and pop: hardware; paint store; sundries goods store; grocery…etc. out of business.

It does suck for Opey, but the Mawlers just wanna win BABY!
(09-16-2023, 11:47 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2023, 11:14 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]

No pot stirring, but a few years back there were 3 football coaches from a winning program at a basketball game sitting directly across the court from the bench where one of the best football players in the region was playing, not a single coach had any connection with either team participating or any other player in the game.  The potential recruits dad/guardian came to the coaches and told them the kid wasn't going anywhere, and they were wasting their time, they left at the half.

Some years back I got to see a recruiting package sent to an athlete from one of the private schools in central KY, and it was an official produced the the school student recruiting information package.

I believe the KHSAA should just allow kids to go where they wish to play and give them a 1 time transfer after they have enrolled in a school for 9th grade.

Spoozer, I LOVE stirring the pot!!  I love the exchange of different ideas.  It's how I learn.

I've just learned something here.  The idea of a 1 time transfer of your's has some great potential, IMO.

The recruiting has gotten so out of control, that there will be a time when School X won a state championship, but no players on the team live in their district.  So who wins?  School X???  Or the recruitment team???

JMO
(09-16-2023, 12:08 PM)Spoozer12 Wrote: [ -> ]Do transfers ever have a negative effect on the other kids, my question here is: is winning more important than being an actual factor in the winning?  Example: Kid plays running back his whole life, starts since he was a freshman, is expecting to get the majority of ball touches his senior year, hoping for an offer from his dream school, then gets bumped to a support roll losing 70% of his touches because someone bigger, faster, stronger, arrives.
Probably but ask yourself this, you are offered a new job with big raise and better hours and in order to take it you have to get put in front of a guy working there 10 years. You are more qualified and will help company be more profitable. What do you do?  What should companies do?
My question is; after seeing the injustice done to Opey- why doesn’t Floyd and the guys at the barber shop and Aunt Bee and the Church Ladies’ Auxiliary start showing up at school board meetings and demanding answers? I mean Andy is the freaking sheriff!!!

Or should everybody just shut up and tell Opey to get in the weight room and get over there and hold a hand shield at practice?
(09-16-2023, 12:16 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]My question is; after seeing the injustice done to Opey- why doesn’t Floyd and the guys at the barber shop and Aunt Bee and the Church Ladies’ Auxiliary start showing up at school board meetings and demanding answers?  I mean Andy is the freaking sheriff!!!

Or should everybody just shut up and tell Opey to get in the weight room and get over there and hold a hand shield at practice?
Weight room is great place to start. Tell Opie he is entitled to nothing. If he wants it work harder and be better than the next guy. Either earn it or shut up. Esports always looking for someone now a days.
(09-16-2023, 12:08 PM)Spoozer12 Wrote: [ -> ]Do transfers ever have a negative effect on the other kids, my question here is: is winning more important than being an actual factor in the winning?  Example: Kid plays running back his whole life, starts since he was a freshman, is expecting to get the majority of ball touches his senior year, hoping for an offer from his dream school, then gets bumped to a support roll losing 70% of his touches because someone bigger, faster, stronger, arrives.

Spoozer, please call him Opey for my benefit. LOL

“Shut up, Opey! Your work for the past seven years as a MS and HS player to help get us respectable means NOTHING! We’re ready to take it to the next level! Alright, first team offense- let’s go! Opey run over there and get me a Gatorade then grab a hand shield!”

It’s the American way

I’m fine with it if:

1. We quit pretending to have rules that forbid it;
2. We give Andy his tax dollars to take Opey to the charter school in Mt. Pilot where he can get a better education; since, it looks like football won’t be his ticket in life.
(09-16-2023, 12:23 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]

Spoozer, please call him Opey for my benefit. LOL

“Shut up, Opey! Your work for the past seven years as a MS and HS player to help get us respectable means NOTHING! We’re ready to take it to the next level! Alright, first team offense- let’s go! Opey run over there and get me a Gatorade then grab a hand shield!”

It’s the American way

Speaking on School and Hometown pride - Sucks for "Opey" because he's lived in the weight room for 3 years working his tail off, never missed a practice, played hurt and never missed a game. Opey can't compete with 3 tenths of a second quicker, 20lbs. heavier and two inches taller. I guess ole "Op" ought to just just go to Union instead of the offer he was hoping for from EKU..... Team would have never made it to the quarterfinals without this new bruiser who'll end up at WKU where he already had the offer.

How's That ROTC...LOL
You ARE my hero, SIR! Sums it up nicely.

At the end of the day…none of them are going pro at football, but what have we done to the kids in Mayberry!

Our mayor sucks, and he is always trying to fire ANDY!

Aren’t sheriffs elected in Mayberry?
I agree with JP. Build up opportunities and the program recruits itself…
Yes! There is great opportunity to make profits in sugar. Let’s go in and destabilize the government in Haiti; plant a puppet regime; and make millions while the local Haitians live in squalor i cardboard shacks!

It’s the AMERICAN WAY

Or is it…. REALLY?

Who is more likely to grow up and live and work and pay taxes in Mayberry:

Opey even after being dumped on by the mayor and the HS football program;

OR

AC Slater who transferred in from Bayside High and lived in an apartment provided by the mayor?
(09-16-2023, 12:22 PM)Truewords Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2023, 12:16 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]My question is; after seeing the injustice done to Opey- why doesn’t Floyd and the guys at the barber shop and Aunt Bee and the Church Ladies’ Auxiliary start showing up at school board meetings and demanding answers?  I mean Andy is the freaking sheriff!!!

Weight room is great place to start. Tell Opie he is entitled to nothing. If he wants it work harder and be better than the next guy. Either earn it or shut up. Esports always looking for someone now a days.
What if Opey wants to remain in school an extra year to play football a fifth year. Should Andy pull some strings and get the eligibility rules waived for Opey?
ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY

This thread brings me joy, today!
Pages: 1 2