Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Strength of schedule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was talking with some buddies yesterday like every weekend, and we started talking about high school football. The subject ended up being , why do these kids with major stats not get recruited over kids with average stats , I seem to think it’s because of schedule strength.  Kids are putting up crazy numbers against bad teams year ins me tear out, then there’s kids with average to good numbers against really tough schedules , those kids are getting ire attention then the others.  What’s your thoughts?  Does the schedule matter when it comes to recruiting or do college coaches just know ?
(09-04-2023, 09:53 AM)Jet fighter Wrote: [ -> ]Was talking with some buddies yesterday like every weekend, and we started talking about high school football. The subject ended up being , why do these kids with major stats not get recruited over kids with average stats , I seem to think it’s because of schedule strength.  Kids are putting up crazy numbers against bad teams year ins me tear out, then there’s kids with average to good numbers against really tough schedules , those kids are getting ire attention then the others.  What’s your thoughts?  Does the schedule matter when it comes to recruiting or do college coaches just know ?
Colleges recruit potential. Great high school players are often playing near their peak potential but they may be too short and/or too slow to fit the target profile of a college team's recruiters. A big, fast, underachieving high school player will always get a shot over a great high school player who falls short on the "measurables."

Strength of schedule is only a factor for players who are fast enough, strong enough, and jump well enough to fit the profile of a college player. An athlete playing for a team like Trinity or Cathedral definitely has the edge over a team that feasts upon regular season cupcakes.
(09-04-2023, 10:06 AM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2023, 09:53 AM)Jet fighter Wrote: [ -> ]Was talking with some buddies yesterday like every weekend, and we started talking about high school football. The subject ended up being , why do these kids with major stats not get recruited over kids with average stats , I seem to think it’s because of schedule strength.  Kids are putting up crazy numbers against bad teams year ins me tear out, then there’s kids with average to good numbers against really tough schedules , those kids are getting ire attention then the others.  What’s your thoughts?  Does the schedule matter when it comes to recruiting or do college coaches just know ?
Colleges recruit potential. Great high school players are often playing near their peak potential but they may be too short and/or too slow to fit the target profile of a college team's recruiters. A big, fast, underachieving high school player will always get a shot over a great high school player who falls short on the "measurables."

Strength of schedule is only a factor for players who are fast enough, strong enough, and jump well enough to fit the profile of a college player. An athlete playing for a team like Trinity or Cathedral definitely has the edge over a team that feasts upon regular season cupcakes.
True. I know there’s a ton of kids with crazy high school numbers that never get looked at and typically play for schools that play easy schedules and I think coaches see that, then there’s kids with good numbers but play the better teams, and they get the looks and offers.  Just was interested in everyone’s opinion
Camps is all that matters for the most part anymore in high school recruiting. You go to these tanning camps and then that’s where it all starts for players.