Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Old School Hound's A Bit Too Early (Perhaps)" RPI for 4A Contenders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It will be another couple of weeks before the KHSAA will come out with their Rating Percentage Index(RPI). But Old School Hound has put pen to paper and crunched the numbers for you. So, just for sh!ts & giggles and solely for your entertainment value only, here goes:

After 3 weeks ----

Covington Catholic -   1.04087

Ashland  -  0.83381

Corbin -   0.72403

Boyle County -  0.68517

Johnson Central -  0.42108  

Obviously, it's early, but draw your own conclusions. 

I've drawn mine.  Barring something unforeseen , Catholic isn't moving from #1 and neither Corbin nor Boyle will be lower than #3. SO ...

Friday, November 17 ( Round 3)  :

Johnson Central @ Cov. Catholic
  Corbin vs. Boyle County .  Site :  TBD

I take it this is more for the giggles than anything else.
(09-03-2023, 07:49 AM)know1 Wrote: [ -> ]I take it this is more for the giggles than anything else.
No , sh!ts, actually.  Sh!tter's full , in fact.

Cov. Cath  will run the table(unless Beechwood pulls off a big upset). Catholic's schedule is loaded with 6A schools they will easily dispatch of. Unless they lose(and I don't see it happening), CC with be the #1 seed going into round 3. Does anyone see anyone other than Corbin or Boyle coming out of round 2 having the second or third highest RPI? I sure don't.

CC and JC  will come out of regions 5 and 6 (unless Ashland beats JC in the regular season and wins that district, Then, you could possibly see CC/JC round 2 game.)  I personally think it is almost certain that CC and JC emerge from from regions 5 and 6. Boyle and Corbin are locks to come from 7 and 8.

So, its CC, JC, Boyle, Corbin.    CC willl be undefeated.  JC will have at least 3 losses.  Corbin will be undefeated or have one loss. Boyle will be undefeated or have one loss.  JC is a lock for #4 because of their losses and , hence lower RPI.  CC is pretty close to a lock at #1 because of running the table and having all those 6A wins, and hence a superior RPI.  That leaves Boyle and Corbin locked in at #2 and #3. Which will be 2 and which 3 is yet to be determined. But it is what it is...  CORBIN v BOYLE on the 17th of November!!!  Someone shut my mouth  and tell me why I'm wrong.
Let’s hope Covington Catholic loses to Dixie heights & Beechwood and get Boyle vs Corbin in state championship
(09-03-2023, 01:08 PM)64SUR Wrote: [ -> ]Let’s hope Covington Catholic loses to Dixie heights & Beechwood and get Boyle vs Corbin in state championship

Ain't happening, Sur!!!  There will be no Corbin-Boyle championship game this year. Tommy has exactly 11 weeks to get ready for Justin.
(09-03-2023, 02:15 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 01:08 PM)64SUR Wrote: [ -> ]Let’s hope Covington Catholic loses to Dixie heights & Beechwood and get Boyle vs Corbin in state championship

Ain't happening, Sur!!!  There will be no Corbin-Boyle championship game this year. Tommy has exactly 11 weeks to get ready for Justin.

He'll be ready IF he starts studying right now, and learns some new tricks.
The Frederick Douglass game may determine where the November 17 Boyle-Corbin game will be played. If Corbin beats Freddy and Boyle loses to them, then the game will probably be at the newly renovated Wonderland that Cox built on the banks of the historic Lynn Camp Creek. If Corbin loses to Douglass , they will likely be headed to Haddix' House of Champions on 11/17. Corbin needs to go all out to beat Frederick.
Unless McCoart, Conley, and Logan Music are 100%, Johnson Central has 0% of getting past Covington Catholic. Unless two of the three are healthy, JC does not have much of a chance advancing past Ashland. 

JC is very solid in the trenches, but a team has got to have some speed in the backfield to take advantage of the holes that the big guys open. Belfry's speed killed them and the Tomcats probably have even better speed where it matters.t

Ashland has to be the favorite to win their district at this point. Conley has not shown that he has fully recovered from last year's injury. Music is very talented but I'm not sure that he is ready to be THE guy yet.

Boyle County beat Corbin by 6 last season and the Red Hounds have since added three very talented senior transfers to their lineup. If Corbin can't bring home the 4A title this season, then they may never win another one. They should be heavy favorites to win the title this season - but they aren't. That's the difference in assembling a good team and having a great program.

I thought Covington Catholic had a tough road to the championship, but JC apparently falling to the way side is making their chances look very good.
There is a very good chance that Ashland will finish with the #2 RPI, behind Covington Catholic. The Tomcats are legit.
(09-03-2023, 06:23 PM)Isaac Bell Wrote: [ -> ]Unless McCoart, Conley, and Logan Music are 100%, Johnson Central has 0% of getting past Covington Catholic. Unless two of the three are healthy, JC does not have much of a chance advancing past Ashland. 

JC is very solid in the trenches, but a team has got to have some speed in the backfield to take advantage of the holes that the big guys open. Belfry's speed killed them and the Tomcats probably have even better speed where it matters.t

Ashland has to be the favorite to win their district at this point. Conley has not shown that he has fully recovered from last year's injury. Music is very talented but I'm not sure that he is ready to be THE guy yet.

Boyle County beat Corbin by 6 last season and the Red Hounds have since added three very talented senior transfers to their lineup. If Corbin can't bring home the 4A title this season, then they may never win another one. They should be heavy favorites to win the title this season - but they aren't. That's the difference in assembling a good team and having a great program.

I thought Covington Catholic had a tough road to the championship, but JC apparently falling to the way side is making their chances look very good.

Stick a fork in Johnson Central, because they're done. Corbin has obviously always had one of the best programs in the state.
(09-03-2023, 07:31 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 06:23 PM)Isaac Bell Wrote: [ -> ]Unless McCoart, Conley, and Logan Music are 100%, Johnson Central has 0% of getting past Covington Catholic. Unless two of the three are healthy, JC does not have much of a chance advancing past Ashland. 

Stick a fork in Johnson Central, because they're done. Corbin has obviously always had one of the best programs in the state.
The best programs in the state produce great players and win championships. Corbin has a second tier program, which is better than most.
(09-03-2023, 07:43 PM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]

The best programs in the state produce great players and win championships. Corbin has a second tier program, which is better than most.

[Image: 828d07bf8d65315286c7a28a93360723.jpg]
Anyone have the link for checking RPI
(09-03-2023, 07:58 PM)AverageJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have the link for checking RPI

I don't think it will be out for a couple more weeks..When it is, of course it will be on the KHSAA scoreboard page of each teams schedule at the bottom...Right now you have to assume... Smile
Whoever plays Corbin better pack a lunch, that defense is scary good. I got to see the twins play and all I can say is wow!! They are game changers and are on a different level than most all of the high school players I’ve seen over the years. Teams will have to devote so much energy to unsuccessfully try to stop them that it makes for a field day for the rest of that defense.

It will take a special offense and OC to beat that Corbin defense. Boyle co very well may have all the pieces to do it but the gap between #1 & #2 in 4A is way closer in my mind now.

Top programs start from little kids up through Middle School. Corbin wins consistently  at all levels, and always have. They have one of the best programs in the state.
(09-03-2023, 08:57 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

Top programs start from little kids up through Middle School. Corbin wins consistently  at all levels, and always have. They have one of the best programs in the state.
Yet, for more than 40 years they have not won a state title with players that they have developed in their own program. Now, we will see if they can win a title with players developed by other programs. How many more transfers would be needed before this Corbin team would be considered the favorites in a match-up against Boyle County?
(09-03-2023, 09:01 PM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]

Yet, for more than 40 years they have not won a state title with players that they have developed in their own program. Now, we will see if they can win a title with players developed by other programs. How many more transfers would be needed before this Corbin team would be considered the favorites in a match-up against Boyle County?
Only top programs win championships every year? How many has your school won? I wish you'd teach Calapari how to win championships and stop wasting talent.

You are forgetting that Boyle County is relying on transfers even more than Corbin does. If Corbin hadn't got the transfers, then they would not have had a chance of winning a title. Cut them some slack.
(09-03-2023, 09:05 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 07:31 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]Stick a fork in Johnson Central, because they're done. Corbin has obviously always had one of the best programs in the state.

Only top programs win championships every year? How many has your school won? I wish you'd teach Calapari how to win championships and stop wasting talent.
I never claimed that my school is one of the best in the state. You did. But I agree with your point about Calipari. Nobody has wasted more talent than Coach Cal.

(09-03-2023, 09:09 PM)Isaac Bell Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 07:31 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]Stick a fork in Johnson Central, because they're done. Corbin has obviously always had one of the best programs in the state.

You are forgetting that Boyle County is relying on transfers even more than Corbin does. If Corbin hadn't got the transfers, then they would not have had a chance of winning a title. Cut them some slack.
Boyle County has won enough titles with home grown talent to have earned the distinction of having one of the top programs in the state. There is a big difference of Boyle County's program and Corbin's.
(09-03-2023, 09:11 PM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 09:05 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 07:43 PM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]The best programs in the state produce great players and win championships. Corbin has a second tier program, which is better than most.

I never claimed that my school is one of the best in the state. You did. But I agree with your point about Calipari. Nobody has wasted more talent than Coach Cal.

(09-03-2023, 09:09 PM)Isaac Bell Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 07:43 PM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]The best programs in the state produce great players and win championships. Corbin has a second tier program, which is better than most.

Boyle County has won enough titles with home grown talent to have earned the distinction of having one of the top programs in the state. There is a big difference of Boyle County's program and Corbin's.
I didn't say my team is  one of the best in the state. They are the best in the state in baseball though. I'm a Whitley County Colonel.
Yea give me the team that hasn't lost to a 4a team this decade.

JC just got dogwalked by belfry who was dismantled by a very average Clark County team and Pikeville who was just dogwalked by a team that lost to Boyle.

Corbin is a perennial contender. Maybe the transfers are the difference but I'm from the show me state.

It's a 2 horse race IMO Cov Cath and Boyle.
^ I agree. The only reason Corbin is even in the conversation is their three senior transfers, two of whom were magically granted a fifth year of eligibility by the KHSAA. Covington Catholic and Boyle County are still the teams to beat in 4A.
[Image: giphy.gif]

There's "a" chance Cov Cath loses to Beechwood on the road, zero chance they lose to Dixie at home.

Come season's end they'll have wins vs. three 6A and two 5A teams in their pockets.

OSH is spot on predicting the Colonels hosting four playoff games, and that'll be a long bus ride for opponents after Round 2.
(09-03-2023, 11:00 PM)nemo Wrote: [ -> ]

There's "a" chance Cov Cath loses to Beechwood on the road, zero chance they lose to Dixie at home.

Come season's end they'll have wins vs. three 6A and two 5A teams in their pockets.

OSH is spot on predicting the Colonels hosting four playoff games, and that'll be a long bus ride for opponents after Round 2.

Smile
(09-03-2023, 11:03 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]

:)

What, too strong? lol
(09-03-2023, 11:07 PM)nemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 11:03 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]

Smile

What, too strong? lol

Smile After doing some thinking about it, Covington Catholic just needs to beat Beechwood and then be studying film and getting ready to see who they end up playing round 3. I do think CC goes undefeated after I watched them in person. One thing I like about Covington Catholic is they have the big tight end that can hold his own.

So you’re telling me that Boyle County produces all their own football players?  How many more
transfers does Boyle County need to stay on top?  They have a stranglehold on a five county area.
(09-03-2023, 11:24 PM)FormerJacket72 Wrote: [ -> ]

So you’re telling me that Boyle County produces all their own football players?  How many more
transfers does Boyle County need to stay on top?  They have a stranglehold on a five county area.
No, I didn't say that at all. Obviously, they have sucked talent out of the Danville program like a black hole swallowing a star. But correct me if I am wrong, but Boyle County won titles before Haddix arrived without relying heavily on transfers - at least not to the crazy extent since his arrival there. To his credit, he has not brought in any fifth year seniors from out of state to fill out his roster.
Pages: 1 2 3