Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Thoughts on Corbin Football, 100 year History , 40 year Championship Drought
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Let's get it all out in the open. Time to air it out. The good, the bad, the ugly.  Anything you want to touch upon... no boundaries. My ears are wide open, just like Corbin's TE in the state championship game. Corbin football started 100 years ago with a 142-0 loss to Pineville. There have been THREE state titles along the way(plus two Mythical" ones that the old guys like to talk about), but none  since 1982. Discuss anything you want about the Hounds... storied history, coaches ,  $9 million facility improvement ,  biggest mistakes , future outlook, much more!

My first game I ever remember attending at Campbell Field was a 42-8 first round playoff loss to Boyd County in '73, I believe.  Most memorable games- a 10-9 win over a powerful Middlesboro squad in '76. State championship win over Mayfield 6-0 in the snow and cold and Commonwealth in '76 .  

Biggest disappointment--- seeing how Dave Cox allowed good ol' boy local politics to facilitate the exodus of multiple state titles . Also, the misuse of extremely talented youngsters by ego-driven narcissists with personal agendas.  Cox's legacy --- he should be given another plaque--- this time, for costing the program a healthy run of state titles. He will likely go down, in the minds of people who are not brainwashed by varsity club mentality, as the biggest villain in the history of the program. 

So, what are your thoughts on Corbin football and where it's headed?  Does the four decade drought finally end in 2023, the program's centennial year?
Id like to see the statistics on how many players since 1990 never lived in the Corbin school district.

Curious at how surprisingly high that number is, because I know it’s high.

As for the thoughts on Corbin and where they’re headed, it just depends on their ability to get athletes in their hallways.
If they don’t win a title this year, I’m not sure they’ll be able to before the talent eventually drops back off again. With todays rules though, it will allow them to do the same things they’ve done for years which is go out and find players and get them at Corbin and with an even further reach now, like with the Smith twins.

You can’t deny their annual success in the field. The Jewell years were mostly meh, but even he made it to a title game. You can’t dispute the fact that they’re one of the top programs in the state, irregardless of how short they are on titles compared to other schools.

I’ve seen this team this year. As of today I would have them in a toss up against Boyle. One of the two are bringing home a trophy. Should be a fun year to see who.
Not sure why Corbin has always been allowed to recruit players to come to Corbin. Most schools apparently have rules I assume because they don't do it, or if they do it is on the QT or a Coach moves in with a quality player & they get lucky. Is it because it is a private school they can recruit - I am asking I do not know how it works for them to always come up with these players from other places, to be honest. (?)
Corbin this season is looking to at least play better competition
Has Corbin always "recruited" more than other schools? Haven't other schools done it, as well? Maybe parents just want their kiddles to come to a school system that is in the 97th percentile of all schools in education and is headed up by the expert leadership of an educator extraordinaire like David Cox and a "Christ-first" coach like Tommy Greer. Good morals, you know , are front and center in importance to the fine people of Corbin.
I’m curious will Corbin stripes the new field for soccer games
(08-27-2023, 03:08 PM)64SUR Wrote: [ -> ]I’m curious will Corbin stripes the new field for soccer games

I want to know if UK is gonna assist Cox in bringing in two D-1 soccer talents from the northeast. 
Go Big Blue... er ... I mean, Big Red !!!
(08-27-2023, 02:53 PM)Hi Risk Warrior Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure why Corbin has always been allowed to recruit players to come to Corbin. Most schools apparently have rules I assume because they don't do it, or if they do it is on the QT or a Coach moves in with a quality player & they get lucky.  Is it because it is a private school they can recruit - I am asking I do not know how it works for them to always come up with these players from other places, to be honest.  (?)

Can you honestly tell me a school who doesn't recruit....

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=14546221]
This is more of a personal side note but it might be relevant commentary to some people's perception to the current leadership of the football program.

A couple of years back, my gf at the time, made a rather odd request. She told me she wanted me to make love to her in the silliest, most self-deprecating manner imaginable. So, I thought for awhile , and then did the following and made love to her:

[Image: 898B68A9-816C-42E2-9624-DDAA29DF03C7.jpg]

Sadly, for me, she promptly moved all her belongings out of my house the next day and , less than a week later,  had moved in with a local septic tank installer.   And you all wonder why there is bitterness inside me...
Honestly just tired of this question every year. We gonna do this , we gonna do that. I feel like there should be a lot less talk and more action to back up the talk. I’m done with the hounds till the old hounds go. Or right the ship. It’s my opinion the ship has already sunk tho. Catastrophic errors were made, no knee jerk. There was a well executed plan for the decisions that were made. The game evolves. The teachers must also. The old hounds would be happiest if they were all on the sideline again. Maybe Corbin could just have an old hounds game every year around tge first of august. Let Burley and Steve meet 1 on one in the hole. Tommy could coach Steve and Dave could coach Foley. Switch it up. Maybe this would get it out of their system. Who knows. Mills and Mouser, Duncum, Guy, Jeremy would be great waterboys.
(08-27-2023, 02:35 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Let's get it all out in the open. Time to air it out. The good, the bad, the ugly.  Anything you want to touch upon... no boundaries. My ears are wide open, just like Corbin's TE in the state championship game. Corbin football started 100 years ago with a 142-0 loss to Pineville. There have been THREE state titles along the way(plus two Mythical" ones that the old guys like to talk about), but none  since 1982. Discuss anything you want about the Hounds... storied history, coaches ,  $9 million facility improvement ,  biggest mistakes , future outlook, much more!

My first game I ever remember attending at Campbell Field was a 42-8 first round playoff loss to Boyd County in '73, I believe.  Most memorable games- a 10-9 win over a powerful Middlesboro squad in '76. State championship win over Mayfield 6-0 in the snow and cold and Commonwealth in '76 .  

Biggest disappointment--- seeing how Dave Cox allowed good ol' boy local politics to facilitate the exodus of multiple state titles . Also, the misuse of extremely talented youngsters by ego-driven narcissists with personal agendas.  Cox's legacy --- he should be given another plaque--- this time, for costing the program a healthy run of state titles. He will likely go down, in the minds of people who are not brainwashed by varsity club mentality, as the biggest villain in the history of the program. 

So, what are your thoughts on Corbin football and where it's headed?  Does the four decade drought finally end in 2023, the program's centennial year?
Does it matter what we have to say?  Nothing is gonna change, after all the money that’s been spent on renovating the field and that white monstrosity is still standing because 3 or 4 people think it’s a historical landmark I’ve lost all hope.  Some people experience midlife crisis with young girls, sports cars, motorcycles,etc. apparently in Corbin they run off championship coaches for career defensive coordinator’s and screw up multi million dollar renovation projects….Just to be clear UK staff wouldn’t give this bunch the time of day after the last group of 4 stars they ruined I guess they have more hope for the ones that that are already seniors….
(08-27-2023, 05:19 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2023, 02:35 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Let's get it all out in the open. Time to air it out. The good, the bad, the ugly.  Anything you want to touch upon... no boundaries. My ears are wide open, just like Corbin's TE in the state championship game. Corbin football started 100 years ago with a 142-0 loss to Pineville. There have been THREE state titles along the way(plus two Mythical" ones that the old guys like to talk about), but none  since 1982. Discuss anything you want about the Hounds... storied history, coaches ,  $9 million facility improvement ,  biggest mistakes , future outlook, much more!

Does it matter what we have to say?  Nothing is gonna change, after all the money that’s been spent on renovating the field and that white monstrosity is still standing because 3 or 4 people think it’s a historical landmark I’ve lost all hope.  Some people experience midlife crisis with young girls, sports cars, motorcycles,etc. apparently in Corbin they run off championship coaches for career defensive coordinator’s and screw up multi million dollar renovation projects….Just to be clear UK staff wouldn’t give this bunch the time of day after the last group of 4 stars they ruined I guess they have more hope for the ones that that are already seniors….

Smile Meanwhile back at Corbin.....

[Image: OGC.7542d1502cec0bc490020962ef64c3f8?pid...nfnfPiE%3d]
At some point, you are what you are. Kind of like Indiana Basketball - living on past glory.
I’ve lived in Corbin 35 years and have watched Jewell short circuit the program to the point players leave for Williamsburg and play for State Championships. I’ve watched Haddix turn the program completely around and had it playing on Kroger Field multiple years. I’ve seen Greer come in and Win a bunch of games in his first three years but those Wins have have come at a community cost. We’ve got to witness a watered down schedule past three years and it’s built a false sense of hope within community about just how good the Hounds actually are. Distractions and misdirection created two years of toxic atmosphere for all players who played during this time frame. It’s been one agenda after the next with this crew. Hidden agendas and controlling the narrative is the thoughts that come to mind. All that for this, When Corbin brings in outside coach example being ( Franklin County Coach ) then we can all say that’s a start. Our community deserves a State Championship and our kids deserve the best coach possible. Last year we had our best shot in 40 years to get it done and we failed. This year NOONE in 4A is beating Boyle County for State Championship regardless of two 4 star transfers. If I truly thought Corbin can beat Boyle I’d be first to say it. Right now everyone playing for 2nd..
(08-27-2023, 03:59 PM)HighViz Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly just tired of this question every year.  We gonna do this , we gonna do that. I feel like there should be a lot less talk and more action to back up the talk.  I’m done with the hounds till the old hounds go. Or right the ship. It’s my opinion the ship has already sunk tho.  Catastrophic  errors were made, no knee jerk. There was a well executed plan for the decisions that were made.  The game evolves. The teachers must also. The old hounds would be happiest if they were all on the sideline again. Maybe Corbin could just have an old hounds game every year around tge first of august. Let Burley and Steve meet 1 on one in the hole. Tommy could coach Steve and Dave could coach Foley. Switch it up.  Maybe this would get it out of their system. Who knows.  Mills and Mouser, Duncum, Guy, Jeremy  would be great waterboys.
May I remind you, sir, that this is a family-centric message board!  What Burley and Steve do in their private lives is between them and their significant others.
Does anyone have a history of how many years the naked commodes existed in the visiting locker rooms?
Here’s my thought and you summarized it in the last part of the title. “40 YEAR DROUGHT!” The last time we won a title Joe Biden made sense! Oprah was skinny! Hell I was skinny! Michael Jackson was alive and black! Freaking ET was the biggest film. The dang computer was Time magazines “Man of the year”! Let that sink in!! The last time we won a title we knew what a man was!!

The downfall of Corbin football is the same that’s plagued the political atmosphere, the buddy system. They ran off a hall of fame coach, a couple of assistants who could and have been head coaches all to hook their buddies up. Look at the past title winners and pay close attention to those who have won it several years! Guaranteed they don’t do this bullsh!t. They can say what they want, they undermined, got rid off, and everything else those who didn’t “grow up an ole redhound”. And they did it to serve themselves and their friends at the disservice to OUR KIDS!! Now what kind of men is that? I’ve got a couple words, you all decide for yourself. Self gain at the dispense of kids who’s worked their whole childhood to achieve one dream and we can’t even put aside our bullsh!t ego’s to help them achieve it. Dave and Tommy showed where their intentions are by broken promises, undermining, and everything else.
(08-27-2023, 08:50 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have a history of how many years the naked commodes existed in the visiting locker rooms?
Now we’re getting somewhere!!!!!
Great question!!!!!
You said existed , as in past tense.
Can anyone confirm said walls around these  infamous commodes???
Cmon good people of Corbin, somewhere someone knows …..
Whitley County has more state champions on their football team than Corbin does Smile
(08-27-2023, 09:57 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]Whitley County has more state champions  on their football team than Corbin does Smile
Lol!!! But I bet we got more district titles, regional runner ups, and 10 win seasons, and enough politics to have its on congressional hearing ???
(08-27-2023, 10:19 PM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2023, 09:57 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]Whitley County has more state champions  on their football team than Corbin does Smile
Lol!!! But I bet we got more district titles, regional runner ups, and 10 win seasons, and enough politics to have its on congressional hearing ???

How long has it been since you had a state champion on the football team? Smile
First I know the community factor in high school sports has been dead for a long time, (Meaning going to school with your teammates your whole life) all the great high school programs in any sport are really all-star teams with the best talent they can acquire.

How's the community with local kids who've contributed for years getting bumped out of playing time, possibly scholarships by a transfers? Is winning at all cost more important than winning with community?

As for me, I'm a win guy, you play the best you got/can get, no matter where or who they are, this day and age it's the only way you can contend for a championship.
Hound5 touched on this and I'd like others to chime in as well. 40 years since a title. Think about that, people!!! Four decades!!! If you had told me in 1982, after winning the AA title, that forty years would pass without another title, I would have thought that you needed to be in a rubber room. We've had 7 different US Presidents since Corbin took home a state trophy. They've had plenty of talent in those four decades, so what is holding these deserving and talented kids back?

Something has to be amiss. I actually had plenty of hair the last time we won a trophy. I could still get an erection. Elton John was 35 and was dating a woman. People, this is freakin' insane!!! The list of schools who have won titles since Corbin last tasted one should be an embarrassment to anyone associated with this program.

There has been, for way too long, way too damn many people with their hands in Corbin's football program that have no business in it , whatsoever. Varsity Club of Corbin, what in the hell have you helped us win in the past forty years? Look at your track record, you imbeciles!!!

You had the best young coach in the state ready to deliver multiple state titles to Corbin. But you pushed him out and delivered him to the school who is your biggest obstacle to championships. Then you had the opportunity to hire another one of the best coaches in the state. He was , by far, the best man for the job. But, no, Davey boy wanted his childhood bud in the position, even though other well-meaning people wanted the more qualified coach. But that's the way it's done in Corbin. Take care of your own. No outsiders welcome! Good ol' boy politics at its finest!!! What has that gotten you? ZERO for 40, SUCKERS!!!
they will get back to where they need to be.
(08-28-2023, 01:27 AM)WarEagles32 Wrote: [ -> ]they will get back to where they need to be.

Lay out that plan for us all to digest. 

Please make sure that plan begins with getting rid of all the people that have no business having their grimy and grifting little fingers in the football program. Hire a top notch guy that's not part of the GOB(Good Ol' Boy) network and let him do his job without interference from varsity club members, bankers, businessmen, guys who played a half century ago,  and anyone else who thinks they're some big shot when they're not.

Let's here the plan.

Super Dave gets All A's yet again!!!  Congrats, Super Dave!!! 

[Image: BDDDF43C-3F68-4341-8B5D-7627095EAFF0.jpg]

According to my evaluation, Super Dave gets a big fat "F" for showing the best young coach in KY the door and installing his doobie-rolling chum from high school as coach.  That decision, based entirely on self-interest, will end up costing Corbin five, maybe ten titles by the time it's all over. Corbin should build a statue to this clown right beside the infamous commode. Put a plaque on it with the inscription : "Super Dave's Big Dump !"
they will get back to where they need to be.
(08-28-2023, 11:28 AM)WarEagles32 Wrote: [ -> ]they will get back to where they need to be.

Woah
They have had some awful luck/timing over the past 10 years.
They have ran into some buzzsaw teams in years that they were fully capable of winning the State Title.

Belfry, Central, Boyle, and Johnson Central...

The irony that Haddix was the guy who restored their program to the point where they could compete at this level.. and now Haddix is the immovable object in their path at Boyle County.. is kind of funny.

Corbin has been a Top 3 or 4 team in their class most of the past ten years with nothing but a handful of runner-up trophies to show for it. It really is one of the hardest luck runs in Kentucky history.
(08-28-2023, 01:18 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Hound5 touched on this and I'd like others to chime in as well. 40 years since a title. Think about that, people!!! Four decades!!! If you had told me in 1982, after winning the AA title, that forty years would pass without another title, I would have thought that you needed to be in a rubber room. We've had  7 different US Presidents since Corbin took home a state trophy. They've had plenty of talent in those four decades, so what is holding these deserving and talented kids back? 

Something has to be amiss. I actually had plenty of hair the last time we won a trophy. I could still get an erection. Elton John was 35 and was dating a woman. People, this is freakin' insane!!! The list of schools who have won titles since Corbin last tasted one should be an embarrassment to anyone associated with this program.

There has been, for way too long,  way too damn many people with their hands in Corbin's football program that have no business in it , whatsoever.  Varsity Club of Corbin, what in the hell have you helped us win in the past forty years?  Look at your track record, you imbeciles!!!

You had the best young coach in the state ready to deliver multiple state titles to Corbin. But you pushed him out and delivered him to the school who is your biggest obstacle to championships. Then you had the opportunity to hire another one of the best coaches in the state. He was , by far, the best man for the job. But, no,  Davey boy wanted his childhood bud in the position, even though other well-meaning people wanted the more qualified coach. But that's the way it's done in Corbin. Take care of your own. No outsiders welcome! Good ol' boy politics at its finest!!!  What has that gotten you?  ZERO  for 40,  SUCKERS!!!

I think you make very good arguments but I bolded the last sentence in the first paragraph.  "DESERVING"

What is the criteria for that statement?  You see, a LOT of teams have DESERVING kids have not won a state title.  As Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven, "It's not about deserves."  

You have to have talent and work for that title.  Sometimes the truth is, You aren't as talented as you thought you were and it's shown in the record.  Corbin has had some fine teams that did not win it all.  2018 comes to mind.  But in 2017, the consensus from Corbin fans was they were the best team but the results on the field clearly said otherwise.  

Last year, Corbin and Boyle were as evenly matched as two teams could be.  But Boyle made one or two plays more.  You just work all that much harder.  In 2019, I think Johnson Central and Boyle each played to their strengths but JC made a few more plays and Boyle made a couple more mistakes that were too many and the Eagles won 21-20.  A bitter pill but both teams were DESERVING, but only won hoisted the trophy.  

I played when Corbin was STRONG.  In 1977 I saw them beat Boyle 37-15 by physically beating the Rebels up in the 2nd half.  I still think they should have beaten Mayfield that year.  In 1980 they got better as the year went on and peaked at the right time.  Same in 1982, plus they had the benefit of Somerset getting knocked out of the playoffs by Boyle.  (Somerset beat the hounds in the regular season by a couple of TD's)  

I think this could be the Hounds year.  We will never know until the end.  IF they do, it won't be because they DESERVED it.  It will be because they earned it.

(08-28-2023, 11:42 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: [ -> ]They have had some awful luck/timing over the past 10 years.
They have ran into some buzzsaw teams in years that they were fully capable of winning the State Title.

Belfry, Central, Boyle, and Johnson Central...

The irony that Haddix was the guy who restored their program to the point where they could compete at this level.. and now Haddix is the immovable object in their path at Boyle County.. is kind of funny.

Corbin has been a Top 3 or 4 team in their class most of the past ten years with nothing but a handful of runner-up trophies to show for it. It really is one of the hardest luck runs in Kentucky history.

Somerset was the hardest luck team of all time until they finally climbed the mountain a couple of years ago.  

Throughout their history they ran into teams that had just a little more than the Bunnies had.  

Harrodsburg was another hard luck team.  Lost in 1974 at Heath in the Semi-finals by one.  Ran into Frankfort in '76 and '77 with teams loaded with College talent.  Lost in late 80's and early 90's while sporting great talent as well.
Corbin’s so proud of their rich tradition of losing to the first good team they play in the play offs ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4