Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Williamsburg vs Clay County 8/31
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Williamsburg will travel to Clay County this Friday. 

Williamsburg (0-1)
Aug 26, 23 Knox Central at South Laurel (L) 12 - 26

Clay County (2-0)
Aug 18, 23 Pineville home (W) 58 - 34 
Aug 25, 23 Harlan away (W) 46 - 6

History
NONE

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...686a656543
(08-27-2023, 09:26 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Williamsburg will travel to Clay County this Friday. 

Williamsburg (0-1)
Aug 26, 23 Knox Central at South Laurel (L) 12 - 26

Clay County (2-0)
Aug 18, 23 Pineville home (W) 58 - 34 
Aug 25, 23 Harlan away (W) 46 - 6

History
NONE

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...686a656543

Wild that they have never played each other before. I did not know that.
Clay County too much for Williamsburg....

[Image: 1d135363c843790f8038d590e805b53c.gif]
Surprised me as well they had never played. I believe Clay County will come away winning this meeting~
Clay County proving a point in 1A in this area

Clay County 49
Williamsburg 00
Williamsburg gave Knox all they wanted for the better part of the game Saturday. Wouldn't Suprise me to see this one close for a while.
[/quote]
Wild that they have never played each other before. I did not know that.
[/quote]

That’s incorrect. Original poster is going off the KHSAA scoreboard which only goes to 1999. Williamsburg leads the series 4-1. Jackets won 22-15 in 1977, 8-7 in 1979, 54-8 in 1980, and 46-14 in 1995. Tigers’ only win was 27-8 in 1978.
That’s what I was thinking, Williamsburg has dominated the previous meetings between the schools. Hopefully Clay County can close the gap in the series a little bit this season by being more competitive.
Clay county 42-13
Again give me the underdog Williamsburg in a close one
Has Clay decided to move to 1A? I understand trying to get a win and boost your players stats but for a 3A school to play FOUR 1A schools in one season is a little too much in my opinion. And then you leave in your starters all game and continue running up the points by scoring 58 and 46 points in first two games. Who does this really help? Except your win column and players padding stats..
(08-31-2023, 04:15 PM)Grannyshot Wrote: [ -> ]Has Clay decided to move to 1A? I understand trying to get a win and boost your players stats but for a 3A school to play FOUR 1A schools in one season is a little too much in my opinion. And then you leave in your starters all game and continue running up the points by scoring 58 and 46 points in first two games.  Who does this really help? Except your win column and players padding stats..

I see this a lot and while 4 1A schools may look bad on paper, Hazard and even Williamsburg in recent years have been historically better than Clay. I’m not sure of the exact minutes but the JV squad spent a significant portion of both of the first two games playing. On top of that, they really struggle with extra points and usually have to go for 2 point conversions. The Tigers will end up playing 5A Harlan County and a pretty tough district, for 3A standards, so it balances out.
(08-31-2023, 04:15 PM)Grannyshot Wrote: [ -> ]Has Clay decided to move to 1A? I understand trying to get a win and boost your players stats but for a 3A school to play FOUR 1A schools in one season is a little too much in my opinion. And then you leave in your starters all game and continue running up the points by scoring 58 and 46 points in first two games.  Who does this really help? Except your win column and players padding stats..

didnt Jv play both second half’s of the first two games?

An absolute shame that they have the audacity to win games and promote players! They must not know how offensive that is to some people and they probably should apologize. What would really help is losing a ton of games and then not allow their players to have success. Big Grin
(08-31-2023, 06:48 PM)Hogsnot Wrote: [ -> ]

An absolute shame that they have the audacity to win games and promote players! They must not know how offensive that is to some people and they probably should apologize. What would really help is losing a ton of games and then not allow their players to have success. Big Grin

Haha! I guess I am old school. Iron sharpens iron. If you think playing a cupcake schedule and competing against four small 1A teams will make you a better team and ready for the post season, then we will agree to disagree.  I guess everyone deserves a trophy..
(09-01-2023, 09:17 AM)Grannyshot Wrote: [ -> ]

Haha! I guess I am old school. Iron sharpens iron. If you think playing a cupcake schedule and competing against four small 1A teams will make you a better team and ready for the post season, then we will agree to disagree.  I guess everyone deserves a trophy..

The issue is you’re equating 1A as being bad, when in reality Williamsburg and Hazard would beat several of the 3A-5A schools in the area.
(09-01-2023, 09:25 AM)Hogsnot Wrote: [ -> ]

The issue is you’re equating 1A as being bad, when in reality Williamsburg and Hazard would beat several of the 3A-5A schools in the area.
Not this year they wouldn't.
(08-31-2023, 05:10 PM)UKCC Wrote: [ -> ]

I see this a lot and while 4 1A schools may look bad on paper, Hazard and even Williamsburg in recent years have been historically better than Clay. I’m not sure of the exact minutes but the JV squad spent a significant portion of both of the first two games playing. On top of that, they really struggle with extra points and usually have to go for 2 point conversions. The Tigers will end up playing 5A Harlan County and a pretty tough district, for 3A standards, so it balances out.
Harlan county 5A?
(09-01-2023, 09:25 AM)Hogsnot Wrote: [ -> ]

Negative.. These 1a schools have great tradition in the past but they have taken a dip and are definitely not as good this year. BUT for Clay to be playing FOUR 1A schools is excessive in one season. But that is my opinion..
Taking the jackets in this one!
They're rebuilding a bit this season, but most years this board would be complaining about Hazard and Williamsburg playing a bad team like Clay County. I'd guess that both of the Class A teams would have probably beaten Clay soundly pretty much every year over the past 15 or 20 seasons. Not a bad series at all for each school involved with the short travel and gate possibility. Swap out Harlan or Pineville and replace them with somebody like PCC, Breathitt, or Letcher and that's probably about what Clay's schedule should look like.
Clay is 1-4 all time against Williamsburg, 3-3 against Hazard, and 4-4 against Pineville.

It’s not like they have traditionally been heavy favorites against these schools and have even had an all time losing record vs. most of them. Could it be that there people out there that just aren’t fans of Clay County and are overly critical of anything positive that happens within the friendly confines of Manchester? Why not promote the the good in the programs you pull for instead of incessantly downing others? I find that interesting. 

Except for Dougie. He hates on everybody equally and I hope the Colonels smoke all the hind end they can handle tonight!  Big Grin
Clay scheduled these games a year ago. Williamsburg has played in region finals and semi states. Hazard has went to state championships and would win a few if not for the phs panthers. Pineville and harlan are just inexcusable. They lucked up and got hazard in it’s without a doubt worst year in many many many seasons. Williamsburg is down as well but they can improve. I don’t judge a team for playing consistent 3rd round/fourth round teams regardless of class. I judge teams for scheduling harlan ind and pineville at any moment in any season. But what do i know.
(09-01-2023, 09:58 AM)Jet fighter Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2023, 05:10 PM)UKCC Wrote: [ -> ]

Harlan county 5A?

Yes, which I think they moved up with what should be 4A enrollment.
Is the Clay Game going to be streamed?
5a south laurel played 3a mccreary county how dare them.
It will be an uphill battle for the Jackets, Clay is a much improved program
Williamsburg looks to have more players than clay on their sideline tonight