Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Perry Cent 22 Somerset 21
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Somerset makes Fg 3 seconds left but they call a defensive pt non play, so re kick gets blocked, somerset gets it for score but trfs ran ofg field while in play after it grts blocked?  I got to see this film
 Can someone else clarify this more or more understanding what fully happened?
(08-18-2023, 11:18 PM)Foozeball23 Wrote: [ -> ]Somerset makes Fg 3 seconds left but they call a defensive pt non play, so re kick gets blocked, somerset gets it for score but trfs ran ofg field while in play after it grts blocked?  I got to see this film

Say it again in English?
(08-18-2023, 11:28 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2023, 11:18 PM)Foozeball23 Wrote: [ -> ]Somerset makes Fg 3 seconds left but they call a defensive pt non play, so re kick gets blocked, somerset gets it for score but trfs ran ofg field while in play after it grts blocked?  I got to see this film
Say it again in English?
the controversy is this post
(08-18-2023, 11:29 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2023, 11:28 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
Say it again in English?
the controversy is this post

LOL!
Lol I agree after I reread it. I hate using a speaker phone, put had to leave game early. So I missed last half. This is what a few have said. Just looking for clarification.
(08-18-2023, 11:32 PM)Foozeball23 Wrote: [ -> ]Lol I agree after I reread it. I hate using a speaker phone, put had to leave game early. So I missed last half. This is what a few have said. Just looking for clarification.

Sprechen sie Deutsch. lol
Somerset made a FG to go up 24-22 as time expired but the officials called a defensive offsides on Perry to replay the down. First controversy, as this could have just been a free play, and in the case of a FG attempt, probably should have been. Somerset then retried the FG, but it was blocked by a Perry defender. The ball was recovered by a Somerset player and taken in to the end zone. The question is then, did the ball cross the LOS after being blocked? If it did, then the play was over as soon as it was touched. If it didn’t, then the TD by Somerset to end the game should have counted. Regardless, from the radio broadcast it sounded like the officials were gone before it could even be discussed.
(08-18-2023, 11:48 PM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]Somerset made a FG to go up 24-22 as time expired but the officials called a defensive offsides on Perry to replay the down. First controversy, as this could have just been a free play, and in the case of a FG attempt, probably should have been. Somerset then retried the FG, but it was blocked by a Perry defender. The ball was recovered by a Somerset player and taken in to the end zone. The question is then, did the ball cross the LOS after being blocked? If it did, then the play was over as soon as it was touched. If it didn’t, then the TD by Somerset to end the game should have counted. Regardless, from the radio broadcast it sounded like the officials were gone before it could even be discussed.
Watch the replay though.  After the block the referee blew it dead, and Perry stopped then somerset picked it up and scored. They would not have scored sue the official not blown it dead after the block.
(08-19-2023, 12:03 AM)Jet fighter Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2023, 11:48 PM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]Somerset made a FG to go up 24-22 as time expired but the officials called a defensive offsides on Perry to replay the down. First controversy, as this could have just been a free play, and in the case of a FG attempt, probably should have been. Somerset then retried the FG, but it was blocked by a Perry defender. The ball was recovered by a Somerset player and taken in to the end zone. The question is then, did the ball cross the LOS after being blocked? If it did, then the play was over as soon as it was touched. If it didn’t, then the TD by Somerset to end the game should have counted. Regardless, from the radio broadcast it sounded like the officials were gone before it could even be discussed.
Watch the replay though.  After the block the referee blew it dead, and Perry stopped then somerset picked it up and scored. They would not have scored sue the official not blown it dead after the block.

Do you have a link of the replay? I wasn’t there and was bouncing back and forth listening to this one and other games, then tuned in when it got interesting at the end.

You can't say Somerset wouldn't have scored, maybe they would have, maybe they wouldn't have.  But the play should have continued, and not been blown dead.  If it was blown dead prematurely, it should have been an inadvertent whistle and the down replayed.   The 155 penalty yards against Somerset did not help either.
(08-19-2023, 12:08 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]

You can't say Somerset wouldn't have scored, maybe they would have, maybe they wouldn't have.  But the play should have continued, and not been blown dead.  If it was blown dead prematurely, it should have been an inadvertent whistle and the down replayed.   The 155 penalty yards against Somerset did not help either.
Legit argument and I understand. But as soon as he blows the whistle, the Perry kids run to celebrate, that’s all I’m saying.  Great game either way.
Regardless, the game sounded bizarre. I wasn’t listening but what happened at halftime?
The main thing is, if they ball was not past the line of scrimmage, and Perry Central did not recover it, then the play was blown dead prematurely. If that was the case, the down should have been replayed due to an inadvertent whistle. You can't just blow it dead early and say good enough.
(08-19-2023, 12:12 AM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless, the game sounded bizarre. I wasn’t listening but what happened at halftime?
The scoreboard and Perry for 1 timeout when they actually had 2, so everyone thought it was halftime but Perry  had called a timeout, then next play somerset is called for a late hit which put Perry on somerset 40 and slone threw a touchdown to a smith which was a tremendous catch, then  Perry went for 2 to make it 21-15 .
Just some sloppy stuff all around.

At halftime, Perry called a timeout with 3 seconds to go.
The issue was Somerset had called a timeout earlier in the game and one ref signaled it was for Perry and another for Somerset. It confused me on the radio but they charged it to Perry on the scoreboard and I just assumed that was the end of it.
When Perry called the timeout the scoreboard said they had none, but the refs explained the situation to both coaches and Somerset didn’t seem overly upset about it. Everyone in the stands and box was confused.
Perry ran a play and rolled out the QB who threw a pass and then got hit late. 15 yards and an untimed down. They threw a TD from the 35 on the untimed down.
Somerset player jumped over the line on the extra point and got called for it. Perry punched in a 2 pt conversion.

On the (almost) final play, they called offsides on Perry so the kick never happened. Flag was thrown and the refs never even signaled the kick was good since it was a dead play. You don’t get a free play for offsides in high school.

Next play the kick was blocked and when the ball hit the ground the refs blew it dead. If it hit behind the line of scrimmage (I’m pretty sure it was) I think it should have been a live ball. But the refs blew it dead so the game was over.
Lol I swear I didn't go to county school. Lol I learned not to use voice text.
(08-19-2023, 12:21 AM)zaga_fan Wrote: [ -> ]Just some sloppy stuff all around.

At halftime, Perry called a timeout with 3 seconds to go.
The issue was Somerset had called a timeout earlier in the game and one ref signaled it was for Perry and another for Somerset. It confused me on the radio but they charged it to Perry on the scoreboard and I just assumed that was the end of it.
When Perry called the timeout the scoreboard said they had none, but the refs explained the situation to both coaches and Somerset didn’t seem overly upset about it. Everyone in the stands and box was confused.
Perry ran a play and rolled out the QB who threw a pass and then got hit late. 15 yards and an untimed down. They threw a TD from the 35 on the untimed down.
Somerset player jumped over the line on the extra point and got called for it. Perry punched in a 2 pt conversion.

On the (almost) final play, they called offsides on Perry so the kick never happened. Flag was thrown and the refs never even signaled the kick was good since it was a dead play. You don’t get a free play for offsides in high school.

Next play the kick was blocked and when the ball hit the ground the refs blew it dead. If it hit behind the line of scrimmage (I’m pretty sure it was) I think it should have been a live ball. But the refs blew it dead so the game was over.
It was a great game but there was some crazy situations all night
Looked up the inadvertent whistle rule.
Free kicks are only replayed if the whistle occurs during the kick.

Unfortunate way to end the game. Would have been great if it wasn’t blown dead and played out so no one would question it either way.
(08-19-2023, 12:12 AM)Jet fighter Wrote: [ -> ]

Legit argument and I understand. But as soon as he blows the whistle, the Perry kids run to celebrate, that’s all I’m saying.  Great game either way.

(08-19-2023, 12:37 AM)zaga_fan Wrote: [ -> ]Looked up the inadvertent whistle rule.
Free kicks are only replayed if the whistle occurs during the kick.

Unfortunate way to end the game. Would have been great if it wasn’t blown dead and played out so no one would question it either way.

You're incorrect. A field goal attempt is a scrimmage kick, not a free kick. A free kick occurs after a safety. The case book says that if the defense blocks a scrimmage kick, and the ball is behind the line of scrimmage, and the whistle is blown before the defense recovers the kick, then the down must be replayed.
Gotcha. Either way, it’s a bad deal.
Sloppy night.
Never easy to win at Perry
You don’t go to perry and win unless you are 3 TDs better than them. The only place I have ever seen a team get blatantly cheated.
I have witnessed some powerful cheating in my time but this was undoubtedly the worst EVERY big play Somerset had all night was negated by penalties. As far as the play befor halftime about late hit on the Qb he got hit when he was throwing the ball it made the ball come out like a wounded duck and that gave them an un timed play. Official stats Somerset had 19 penalties for 195 yards and perry had 4 penalties for 40 yards . I don’t care how you slice it that is a huge discrepancy. And when you have perry alum calling the game it just looks bad.

This^^^^. Replay down if IW was blown. I wasn’t there. But that rule has screwed and helped numerous teams over the years. I almost wish they’d do more of the college type thing. Where they let it play out then go back and confer with each other. That way you have a better chance of getting the play right. I’ve watched Lynn camp years ago lose late in the playoffs when the qB threw the ball straight up as time expires and ref blew the whistle haha. Corbin has had 75+ yd runs called back recently due to it. I know we don’t have replay. But in the heat of all of it people make mistakes. Let it play out, collect your thoughts. Talk to the other refs who may have had a better view. Every single game matters in RPI, so does every play.
Somerset has a lot of upside they are playing a lot of young players freshmen and sophomore they will be really good by district time
It’s. Tough. On. The. Road.
this was a very exciting game, glad to see perry shake off a rocky start, the defense played well and let the offense get going after 2 early turnovers,, the perry of old would have laid down and got a running clock put on them once it got to 21-0 on to week 2 vs breathitt..
(08-19-2023, 12:25 AM)Foozeball23 Wrote: [ -> ]Lol I swear I didn't go to county school. Lol I learned not to use voice text.

What does county school have to do with anything?   Undecided
Commodores should forfeit and give the W to Somerset Big Grin
(08-19-2023, 01:29 AM)IntheZone Wrote: [ -> ]You don’t go to perry and win unless you are 3 TDs better than them. The only place I have ever seen a team get blatantly cheated.

I've seen it there and Letcher County.
Pages: 1 2