Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 13th Region Media Network Class 4A District 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: C7D41860-688C-4597-8EF7-7DEA4107FF74-752x440.jpeg]
CORBIN — The dead period is over which means, it’s time to talk some serious football.
This season will mark the first for Tom Greer’s Corbin Redhounds when it comes to playing on turf at Campbell Field while celebrating 100 years of the football program’s existence.
Folks might have also forgot, the landscape has changed a tad bit in Class 4A’s District 8 after realignment took place this past offseason.
Corbin is now competing against Letcher Central, Perry Central, and Whitley County. 
Greer’s Redhounds (14-1) came up one win short of capturing the football program’s first state title since 1982. Corbin returns another solid nucleus of talent to make another run at the Class 4A crown.
The Redhounds are 34-4 in the past three seasons and came up six points short of capturing the Class 4A state championship, but dropped a 32-26 decision to Boyle County.
Junior quarterback Kade Elam threw for 2,455 passing yards last season, including 33 touchdowns and only three interceptions. He also ran for 520 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Elam will be protected by one of the best offensive lines in the state, anchored by 6’3, 295-pound Franklin West, who is being recruited by Marshall, Columbia, Miami of Ohio, Cincinnati, and Purdue.
Elam also has talented receivers to throw the ball to, including senior Carter Stewart, who led the team with 53 catches, 1,065 receiving yards, and nine touchdowns. 
Look for sophomore Eli Pietrowski to build on his numbers (22 receptions, 317 receiving yards, and four touchdowns) along with senior Zander Curry. Curry will also see time in the backfield after carrying the ball 44 times for 267 yards and four TDs.
Somerset transfer Guy Bailey will take over as the lead back in the backfield, rushing for 1,388 yards and 15 touchdowns last season as a junior. He also caught 18 passes out of the backfield for 216 yards and one score.
Defensively, Corbin should be sound again, especially with Curry returning. He had seven interceptions and 69 tackles last season. The Redhounds did lose their top leading tacklers from last season but return players such as Evan Baker, Jace Hatfield, and Mikey Neal. Bailey will also help out as an outside linebacker. The big hole Greer and his staff will have to fill is Jacob Baker. Baker, who signed with Eastern Kentucky University, connected on 8-of-9 field goal attempts last season.
Letcher Central (8-4) is in a new district but look to build on last season’s success and go further in the Class 4A playoffs. 
The team that eliminated them last season is now in their district, that’s right Corbin, who handed the Cougars a 49-0 loss during the second round of the Class 4A playoffs.
Letcher Central will attempt to continue to build on the success with only five seniors graduating from last season. 
But one of the five seniors was quarterback Jonah Little, who passed for 1,210 yards and 13 touchdowns, along with leading the team with 1,744 rushing yards and 32 rushing TDs.
Koby Johnson and Dawson Cornett return on the defensive side, which will be a plus. Johnson led the Cougars with 105 tackles last season while Corbett recorded a team-best four sacks.
Mark Dixon’s Perry Central squad started last season strong with a 5-1 mark, only to finish 0-4 during the last month of the season. The Commodores are hoping to bounce back this season.
Whitley County (3-8) drops down from Class 5A with hopes of making noise at the Class 4A level. Whitley County hired a new coach this offseason, former University of the Cumberlands head coach Matt Rhymer.
Senior quarterback and defensive back Ty Hamblin returns along with sophomore running back and defensive back Shane Parker.
Hamblin completed 51-of-143 pass attempts last season for 1,092 yards, and 12 touchdowns. He also ran for 494 yards, and eight touchdowns.
Look for Parker to put up even better numbers this season after leading the team with 859 rushing yards, and eight touchdowns as a freshman. He also had 14 receptions for 453 yards, and four touchdowns.
Junior Chris Cureton returns on defensive after leading Whitley County with 82 tackles last season. 
Predictions
1. Corbin — Look for the Redhounds to make noise once again, and while giving themselves a good shot playing at Kroger Field for the 4A title. Corbin plays a tough regular season slate, but that’s not gonna keep them from going 9-1 during regular season play.
2. Whitley County — The Colonels are poised to surprise this season. I’m thinking a No. 2 finish in district play while posting a 6-4 mark during regular season play. 
3. Letcher Central — The Cougars lost their key play due to graduation, but will still be pretty darn good. Look for Letcher Central to post a 6-4 record this season.
4. Perry Central — It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Commodores make me look like a fool, and finish second in the district. There isn’t much seperation from the No. 2, 3, and 4 teams. Perry will finish regular season play with a 5-5 record.

Corbin will put a running clock on all three.
Sad, but true.
(07-25-2023, 03:18 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: [ -> ]Corbin will put a running clock on all three.
Sad, 
Yep..
(07-25-2023, 03:18 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: [ -> ]Corbin will put a running clock on all three.
Sad, but true.

I don't know about the sad part. I like whipping a team and whipping them good. What I don't like is letting the jv come in and letting the team score.  Smile
I don’t think any of these teams will compete with Corbin during this realignment. Corbin won’t lose a district game the next four years. Teams like Whitley should really try to build something and learn how to recruit during that time frame. Maybe find some hidden coal money and build some stuff. They already have the best campus. There is absolutely no reason to worry about the khsaa doing anything. They are a non factor. Might as well go get what you can. Kids are literally transferring schools to play different sports in different seasons, like the chadwell kid.
Interested to see how Rhymer does or if he will effective at all at this level.

I’m going to guess two realignments from now, Corbin will continue to grow and move on to 5A numbers unless they put a stop to it. Honestly never thought I’d see Whitley being smaller but here we are. It’s happening.
(07-25-2023, 08:46 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think any of these teams will compete with Corbin during this realignment. Corbin won’t lose a district game the next four years. Teams like Whitley should really try to build something and learn how to recruit during that time frame. Maybe find some hidden coal money and build some stuff. They already have the best campus. There is absolutely no reason to worry about the khsaa doing anything. They are a non factor. Might as well go get what you can. Kids are literally transferring schools to play different sports in different seasons, like the chadwell kid.

I’m going to guess two realignments from now, Corbin will continue to grow and move on to 5A numbers unless they put a stop to it. Honestly never thought I’d see Whitley being smaller but here we are. It’s happening.
It wasn't that long ago that Corbin was a 2A school.....
(07-25-2023, 08:46 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think any of these teams will compete with Corbin during this realignment. Corbin won’t lose a district game the next four years. Teams like Whitley should really try to build something and learn how to recruit during that time frame. Maybe find some hidden coal money and build some stuff. They already have the best campus. There is absolutely no reason to worry about the khsaa doing anything. They are a non factor. Might as well go get what you can. Kids are literally transferring schools to play different sports in different seasons, like the chadwell kid.

Corbin will definitely be the heavy favorite.
(07-25-2023, 09:05 PM)jamesdeane Wrote: [ -> ]

yup…they have been very successful getting the kids in the north part of the county to go there. I’d almost guess that 30% or more of your kids from oak grove and north end up at Corbin. I’ve been back in this area for around a decade now and first thing I noticed was Corbin’s positioning of their new school.
(07-25-2023, 10:56 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: [ -> ]

yup…they have been very successful getting the kids in the north part of the county to go there. I’d almost guess that 30% or more of your kids from oak grove and north end up at Corbin. I’ve been back in this area for around a decade now and first thing I noticed was Corbin’s positioning of their new school.

Whitley County has always lost a large amount of kids from Oak Grove and the Middle School. How can they stop this? How can they compete? Start  recruiting from here to Knoxville? Smile

I believe this current alignment is only for two years this time.
(07-26-2023, 05:12 AM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

Whitley County has always lost a large amount of kids from Oak Grove and the Middle School. How can they stop this? How can they compete? Start  recruiting from here to Knoxville?
I believe a parent told me that Oak Grove doesn’t charge kids for pre-school etc. So kids go to Oak Grove for a while then enroll at Corbin. I’m also told the entire Keavy area is South Laurel territory and yet Corbin pulls more athletes from Keavy area than most. The TCSA Football is where the recruiting starts and if you live in London, Knox, Whitley or Corbin and you take your kids to play at TCSA you’ll have a great experience and will teach your kid how to play football. Corbin got it figured out no doubt.
(07-27-2023, 10:07 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2023, 05:12 AM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

Whitley County has always lost a large amount of kids from Oak Grove and the Middle School. How can they stop this? How can they compete? Start  recruiting from here to Knoxville?
I believe a parent told me that Oak Grove doesn’t charge kids for pre-school etc. So kids go to Oak Grove for a while then enroll at Corbin. I’m also told the entire Keavy area is South Laurel territory and yet Corbin pulls more athletes from Keavy area than most. The TCSA Football is where the recruiting starts and if you live in London, Knox, Whitley or Corbin and you take your kids to play at TCSA you’ll have a great experience and will teach your kid how to play football. Corbin got it figured out no doubt.

We need to build a wall or something. lol
(07-25-2023, 12:30 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ][Image: C7D41860-688C-4597-8EF7-7DEA4107FF74-752x440.jpeg]
CORBIN — The dead period is over which means, it’s time to talk some serious football.
This season will mark the first for Tom Greer’s Corbin Redhounds when it comes to playing on turf at Campbell Field while celebrating 100 years of the football program’s existence.
Folks might have also forgot, the landscape has changed a tad bit in Class 4A’s District 8 after realignment took place this past offseason.
Corbin is now competing against Letcher Central, Perry Central, and Whitley County. 
Greer’s Redhounds (14-1) came up one win short of capturing the football program’s first state title since 1982. Corbin returns another solid nucleus of talent to make another run at the Class 4A crown.
The Redhounds are 34-4 in the past three seasons and came up six points short of capturing the Class 4A state championship, but dropped a 32-26 decision to Boyle County.
Junior quarterback Kade Elam threw for 2,455 passing yards last season, including 33 touchdowns and only three interceptions. He also ran for 520 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Elam will be protected by one of the best offensive lines in the state, anchored by 6’3, 295-pound Franklin West, who is being recruited by Marshall, Columbia, Miami of Ohio, Cincinnati, and Purdue.
Elam also has talented receivers to throw the ball to, including senior Carter Stewart, who led the team with 53 catches, 1,065 receiving yards, and nine touchdowns. 
Look for sophomore Eli Pietrowski to build on his numbers (22 receptions, 317 receiving yards, and four touchdowns) along with senior Zander Curry. Curry will also see time in the backfield after carrying the ball 44 times for 267 yards and four TDs.
Somerset transfer Guy Bailey will take over as the lead back in the backfield, rushing for 1,388 yards and 15 touchdowns last season as a junior. He also caught 18 passes out of the backfield for 216 yards and one score.
Defensively, Corbin should be sound again, especially with Curry returning. He had seven interceptions and 69 tackles last season. The Redhounds did lose their top leading tacklers from last season but return players such as Evan Baker, Jace Hatfield, and Mikey Neal. Bailey will also help out as an outside linebacker. The big hole Greer and his staff will have to fill is Jacob Baker. Baker, who signed with Eastern Kentucky University, connected on 8-of-9 field goal attempts last season.
Letcher Central (8-4) is in a new district but look to build on last season’s success and go further in the Class 4A playoffs. 
The team that eliminated them last season is now in their district, that’s right Corbin, who handed the Cougars a 49-0 loss during the second round of the Class 4A playoffs.
Letcher Central will attempt to continue to build on the success with only five seniors graduating from last season. 
But one of the five seniors was quarterback Jonah Little, who passed for 1,210 yards and 13 touchdowns, along with leading the team with 1,744 rushing yards and 32 rushing TDs.
Koby Johnson and Dawson Cornett return on the defensive side, which will be a plus. Johnson led the Cougars with 105 tackles last season while Corbett recorded a team-best four sacks.
Mark Dixon’s Perry Central squad started last season strong with a 5-1 mark, only to finish 0-4 during the last month of the season. The Commodores are hoping to bounce back this season.
Whitley County (3-8) drops down from Class 5A with hopes of making noise at the Class 4A level. Whitley County hired a new coach this offseason, former University of the Cumberlands head coach Matt Rhymer.
Senior quarterback and defensive back Ty Hamblin returns along with sophomore running back and defensive back Shane Parker.
Hamblin completed 51-of-143 pass attempts last season for 1,092 yards, and 12 touchdowns. He also ran for 494 yards, and eight touchdowns.
Look for Parker to put up even better numbers this season after leading the team with 859 rushing yards, and eight touchdowns as a freshman. He also had 14 receptions for 453 yards, and four touchdowns.
Junior Chris Cureton returns on defensive after leading Whitley County with 82 tackles last season. 
Predictions
1. Corbin — Look for the Redhounds to make noise once again, and while giving themselves a good shot playing at Kroger Field for the 4A title. Corbin plays a tough regular season slate, but that’s not gonna keep them from going 9-1 during regular season play.
2. Whitley County — The Colonels are poised to surprise this season. I’m thinking a No. 2 finish in district play while posting a 6-4 mark during regular season play. 
3. Letcher Central — The Cougars lost their key play due to graduation, but will still be pretty darn good. Look for Letcher Central to post a 6-4 record this season.
4. Perry Central — It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Commodores make me look like a fool, and finish second in the district. There isn’t much seperation from the No. 2, 3, and 4 teams. Perry will finish regular season play with a 5-5 record.

Letcher only has 4 seniors this year so this cougar team will have grow up in hurry. I can see them finishing 5-5 this season. Letcher still hasn’t decided on a QB and that could be a problem when season starts. Look for Koby Johnson to have a huge year running the ball.
Go Colonels!