Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher County Central Cougars 2008
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
How do the Cougars look for '08?
We return 9 on Defense and on Offense we return just a couple. Our QB is returning and one lineman. Most of our skill positions were seniors but will be replaced with our outstanding sophomore class as well as our lineman.
I think the best is yet to come for LCC. The sophomore class and junior classes next year should be a good combination of line and skilled players and with Freshman phenom Logan Johnson waiting in the wings LCC is going to be a force to reckon with the next four years.
What Pos. does Johnson play? Does that big Fraizer kid and Brock return?
MVP2 Wrote:What Pos. does Johnson play? Does that big Fraizer kid and Brock return?

Frazier will be back, Brock will not.
Johnson is a QB right now but he just might get some reps a WR because of Charlie Banks returning.....but we will not know untill the season.....
I think the next three years will see an addage to the Lcc program with something they haven't had in the first three years. That is speed. The sophomore class and the incoming freshman class have some real burners. Everyone thought that this O was good this year but add some speed and Coach Howard will be able to open up the vertical game along with a solid running game. We in Letcher county are excited!
The Cougars success in 2008 will be determined by pretty much one thing, and that is how hard they work in the off season. The young guys that will have to step up and play more next year have to live in the weightroom for the next several months, but if they do, expect great things from LCC in 08.
Who's on Letcher's schedule next year? Any openings?
I dont know for sure, but I would Imagine their schedule would be the same, but home games this year will be away games next year and the other way around. Interesting, they could play Perry Central at Perry Central for the first time ever. (Their first two games were at Hazard and this year's game was at LCC)
Who is going to be the coach?
well the future cant get much brighter with this years JV going undefeated and the freshman only losing 1 game.. the JV had 5 quality wins beating pikeville(51-26),hazard(28-20),breathett co(like 40 something to 12), belfry(12-8), and cumberland(cant think of score). The combined record for the freshnam the past 2 seasons was like 17-2 1 loss came last season to hazard who played like 3 jrs and 4 or 5 sophomores. But like i said the future is only going to get brighter....
how's it looking???? Can they repeat as district champs and maybe go farther into the play-offs or what????
They have a good chance of winning the district again. Whitley would challenge them if a new coach is hired at Whitley. The word on the street is that Black will return at Whitley which means Whitley will again be terrible.

Letcher has no chance of progressing further into the playoffs next year because they will again play Highlands in the first game outside the district. No mountain team is going to beat Highlands any time soon. Highlands is one of the three best teams in the state along with X and T and they always will be. When you can pick and choose from a population of 2 or 3 million your probability of fieldng a good team is high.
Possum Bait Wrote:They have a good chance of winning the district again. Whitley would challenge them if a new coach is hired at Whitley. The word on the street is that Black will return at Whitley which means Whitley will again be terrible.

Letcher has no chance of progressing further into the playoffs next year because they will again play Highlands in the first game outside the district. No mountain team is going to beat Highlands any time soon. Highlands is one of the three best teams in the state along with X and T and they always will be. When you can pick and choose from a population of 2 or 3 million your probability of fieldng a good team is high.

The population of Greater Cincinnati is around 1,000,000 and there are probably close to 100 high schools offering football. The majority of the Highlands players are VERY home grown, 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th generation, success breeds success. The last two QB's have the same last name as the namesake of the stadium.

I am looking forward to making the trip to LCC next year for a playoff game.
Vogel,

I am not going to debate the populaton of the Cincy Metro area which includes several counties on both sides of the river, but I am sure the actual metro area is closer to 2 million than 1 million. Never the less, the teams in 5A district 8 probably have around 20,000 people in their school districts which cover areas similar to the greater Cinci area. A lot of kids commute 25 to 30 miles each way to school which involves a bus ride of an hour or longer each way over narrow curvy back roads.

Highlands is succussful, but most people around the state know that Highlands is one of those schools that routinely go outside the bounds of their school district to pick up key players. Percentage wise the majority of your players may live within the school district, but every year there are a few "Key" players that are not home grown. Take away the "KeY" players and Highlands becomes a good team not a dominate team.
Regions 5-8 rotate each year. Highlands would not be coming to LCC next year.
UKisN1 Wrote:Regions 5-8 rotate each year. Highlands would not be coming to LCC next year.

Wouldn't Highlands district travel to LCC district in 4th round instead of 3rd round then?
Possum Bait Wrote:Vogel,

I am not going to debate the populaton of the Cincy Metro area which includes several counties on both sides of the river, but I am sure the actual metro area is closer to 2 million than 1 million. Never the less, the teams in 5A district 8 probably have around 20,000 people in their school districts which cover areas similar to the greater Cinci area. A lot of kids commute 25 to 30 miles each way to school which involves a bus ride of an hour or longer each way over narrow curvy back roads.

Highlands is succussful, but most people around the state know that Highlands is one of those schools that routinely go outside the bounds of their school district to pick up key players. Percentage wise the majority of your players may live within the school district, but every year there are a few "Key" players that are not home grown. Take away the "KeY" players and Highlands becomes a good team not a dominate team.

This year 21 of the 22 starting positions were filled by kids whom a from Ft. Thomas. The other one, a junior, is from Newport and is very good, but had Ollie Head (a Ft. Thomas kid) not broken his leg his frosh year and tried to play with a rod inserted in it last year, I believe strongly that it would have been 22 for 22 this year. I believe that Ollie will start next year next to the junior kid from outside Ft. Thomas and it won't surprise me one bit if Ollie doesn't match the other kid yard for yard.

Your point about Highlands getting out of district kids is a valid one to a point. Yes Highlands does occasionally get a good kid from out of district (2004 they got several and they were good). But Ft. Thomas also occassionally loses some good players. A whole lot of Ft. Thomas kids have gone to Newport Catholic (its 5 minutes away) and been some of their star players. I think one of of the best athletes in the junior class goes to CovCath. A very good frosh player goes to CovCath. At the end of the day, we lose some and we gain some. It pretty much balances out over a ten year period but in any one year we benefit and in other years we lose out. Plus as pointed out by Vogel, while there is a large population base and we don't have the transportation/road issues that the rural county schools have, that big population means there are a lot of high schools "competing" for those kids. And Highlands is not the only good football team up here for them to choose from. NewCath, CovCath, Dixie, Beechwood and Boone County to name 5. Its not like all the good athletes in N. Ky get funnelled to Highlands because we are the only good football program up here. Not even close. And a whole lot of the surrounding communities cannot stand Highlands (jealousy I guessBig Grin ), which means a whole lot of kids grow up hating Highlands and definitely not wanting to go to Highlands. So its not near of the advantage that you think it is. Its really not. And lest people think we get kids from Ohio, think again. We don't. I can think of one in the last 10 years and he was not an impact player. If you think I'm full of hooey, just think about it. If you were a good, key, impact player from Ohio, would you play football in Ky or at the Ohio powerhouses? Answer: Ohio powerhouses.
[/B]

You were correct about the Greater Cincy population, WRONG about the size, Greater Cincinnati is made up of 13 Counties, just a bit larger than any give Eky county.

"Approximately 900,000 people live within the limits of the city of Cincinnati. 1,982,530 live in the 13 county, 3 state Greater Cincinnati area. Greater Cincinnati is the 23rd largest city in the USA." http://www.ivccinti.org/aboutcint/Resou_GreatCinti.htm

It is a KHSAA violation to "go outside the bounds of their school district to pick up key players". If you "KNOW" that this is occuring, you should report it immediatley to KHSAA.

Northern Kentucky (3 counties) schools with football.

Newport Catholic, Holy Cross, Lloyd, Newport, Highlands, Dixie Heights, Covington Catholic, Scott, Holmes, Boone County, Ryle, Campbell County, Simon Kenton, Conner, Beechwood, Dayton, Bellevue, Ludlow, Brossart

I know you believe what you are talking about. I also know you have no idea what you are talking about.
Vogel,

How many starters at Highlands this past season went to school in the Highlands district in the 6th grade? This is a very good gauge because key players start showing up in junior high school.

Do not misunderstand me, I think kids should go to school where ever their parents decide to send them. The success of Highlands is doubt a big attraction. My only point of contention is that rural school systems cannot compete with schools that have the ability to find "key" players whenever they need them.

The mountians should have their own division.

How many starters at Highlands this past season went to school in the Highlands district in the 6th grade? This is a very good gauge because key players start showing up in junior high school.

Do not misunderstand me, I think kids should go to school where ever their parents decide to send them. The success of Highlands is doubt a big attraction. My only point of contention is that rural school systems cannot compete with schools that have the ability to find "key" players whenever they need them.

The mountians should have their own division.

All but 2.
One moved from California this year ,his senior year, and the other move to the Fort his freshman year.

By the way, this thread is about Letcher Co. not who attends Highlands.
any thoughs
If they can recover from some inexperience on offense they should be contending for the District against Clay County.
LCC has on of the best defesive cordinators around i look for them to be a great team next year.
who will be the players to step up and feel in missing links to offensive and d-line>
rock-chalk-jayhawk Wrote:who will be the players to step up and feel in missing links to offensive and d-line>

On the defensive line they only lose one player and that is David Adams. He split time at Noseguard with Justin Garret. On the Offensive Line they lose four of five starters and it's not clear who will fill those spots. If I were going to guess I would say that th O-line will be Joey Kincer at Center, Chase Knight and Aaron Finn at guard, and Willy Joe Smith at tackle. I can't think of a clear favorite to win the other starting tackle spot at this point. It should be a pretty good position battle.
are those good strong fits for those spots or a guessing game rather theyll be good together>
rock-chalk-jayhawk Wrote:are those good strong fits for those spots or a guessing game rather theyll be good together>

That should be a really solid offensive line. Like I said before, experience will be the only thing holding them back early, but they will be well coached and will eventually be very good.
thats good, what about the backfield? power or speed
Pages: 1 2 3 4