Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 13th, 14th and 15th officials, what do you think?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are they the worst that the state has to offer.
What can we as fans do to insist that the KHSAA hold them accountable for their work?

I know they are rated by coachs but its a farce.

Any ideas?
I havent watched many of the other regions in order to compare. But coaches can blackball refs if they want.
I don't know about other regions, but the 15th sucks as far as officials go..
Yes i do agree with that. They are the worst ive seen or even been officated by. Sometimes, i think they are just tryin to make the crowd mad at them by making the wrong call or something.
14th region had an official calling the state final game. Must be doing something right.
Thae 15th had the alternate for the final game also. A few sub-par officials can give the entire group a bad rep. I have seen a few from the 11th that are not great but that doesn't mean the entire 11th is bad.
Most of these officals are just trying to make a SMALL amount of money and stay in touch with a sport they love. They are trying to give a good effort each time out. Some on the other hand want to be show, they want to be seen, these type can and probley do change the outcome of the contest when they feel they need to or someone else has showed them who should win.
"Golden Toothpick" Wrote:Most of these officals are just trying to make a SMALL amount of money and stay in touch with a sport they love. They are trying to give a good effort each time out. Some on the other hand want to be show, they want to be seen, these type can and probley do change the outcome of the contest when they feel they need to or someone else has showed them who should win.

Some refs are hot heads and do like to be SEEN wich is usually a bad thing for the opposing team
I don't think you can expect them to be good, but it would be nice if they were consistent. Hard for kids to get in the flow of games when they are not sure how they will be called. Personally, have seen officials from 5 different regions in the last year, some good, most bad! Watched a 15th region official maul Breathitt County in the 14th tourney, wish there were more avenues out there to keep them in check.
Has anyone other than me noticed that the bigger name teams with better known programs always seem to get the close calls. IMO -- many officals don't want to be on the floor when little so and so upsets the big time school.
Are they perfect? Not even close. Are they good? Only sometimes, but I don not think that they miss calls and that is what makes them poor officials. I think the reason they are poor officials is that they are inconsitent. One minute hand checking is a foul, the next it is not. A charge on one end is a block on the other. I think the officals are as good as anywhere in the state, but the mountains play a more physical type of basketball and everyone officals included have to adjust to the style of play. I wouldn't say we have the best officals in the state, but top to bottom we habe as good as anywhere else.
But should the refs allow this physical style of play in the moutnains? Because when the teams go down state they have a hard time adjusting to the refs that make the touch calls.
"Beef" Wrote:But should the refs allow this physical style of play in the moutnains? Because when the teams go down state they have a hard time adjusting to the refs that make the touch calls.
The adjusting to touch calls is not what they have a hard time adjusting to. It's more the level of athleticsim. Few teams in the mountains travel out of the area and see the type of athletes you would see at the state tournament. That is the main reason for the mountains lack of success, but there are lways exceptioons to this. South Laurel was not as athletic as other teams, but they had played alot of athletic teams throughout the year and were not rattled by it. The refs have to allow the physical style because that is how the game is played here. If not everyone fouls out and JV teams decide the outcome. It's not up to the refs to change the style it is up to the coaches to make adjustments, but there is nothing wrong with physical play. It's just not seen through out the state like it is in the East.
The worst referee I've seen is the one from Cawood. I think he's in with their school system, not really sure. I've watched him call a game as bad as any I've seen.
"bevinsville_bomber" Wrote:The worst referee I've seen is the one from Cawood. I think he's in with their school system, not really sure. I've watched him call a game as bad as any I've seen.
I think that I know the one that you are talking about..lol...
the refs could do a better job at callin the games CLEAN AND FAIR...