Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Has Demariah Brown Been Ruled Ineligible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is a post on another site that states that the KHSAA has ruled Brown ineligible to play at Boyle this upcoming season.  

It's the only place I've seen this posted and wondered if anyone else had any more information.
Another question before we get an answer to this. If a player is deemed ineligible are they granted ability to try at another school or must they go back to their pre transfer school?
They can try any school they choose. Don’t mean they would be ruled eligible but if they did things the legal way they would be ruled eligible
(06-13-2023, 04:43 PM)runthepill Wrote: [ -> ]They can try any school they choose. Don’t mean they would be ruled eligible but if they did things the legal way they would be ruled eligible

Not necessarily. When you say the legal way, most the time from what I hear is when a kid is ruled ineligible the first time some information wasn’t presented correctly and usually that incorrect information is from the school the player transferred from.
(06-13-2023, 05:42 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-13-2023, 04:43 PM)runthepill Wrote: [ -> ]They can try any school they choose. Don’t mean they would be ruled eligible but if they did things the legal way they would be ruled eligible

Not necessarily. When you say the legal way, most the time from what I hear is when a kid is ruled ineligible the first time some information wasn’t presented correctly and usually that incorrect information is from the school the player transferred from.

Correct, in some cases its as simple as the school the player left from, never responds to the khsaa.
(06-13-2023, 06:41 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]

Correct, in some cases it’s as simple as the school the player left from, never responds to the khsaa.
That is some petty bull crap.  There should be some sort of an oversite with the KHSAA to make sure things like that don’t happen and schools should be subjected to fines if they don’t surrender the necessary paperwork within a determined timeframe.

I don’t think it’s right for school systems to punish kids for leaving their school for any reason.  I understand that feelings get hurt when kids leave schools but isn’t it the job of the school to ultimately guide young people towards being successful adults? Sometimes things just aren’t a good fit, that’s the real world and people move on from places all the time.  If a family is wanting to move on and explore other options then the school they are leaving failed in some aspect of retaining them and should cut their losses and move on without making other peoples lives difficult.
I was told that it was because he still had a brother enrolled at Danville & that the exact same thing happened when Quisenberry came, who was ultimately ruled eligible. Same thing will happen with Brown
Did the KHSAA flag this themselves or was it contested? Would be another bad look for Danville if they are trying to prevent a student from escaping their storm.
I heard through the grape vine it is the Danville coach. Boyle should put 80 on them this year.

It’s my understanding that the school ( AD) that a player leaves has to fill out the KHSAA form and a particular box has to be checked off, did the player play varsity last season YES OR NO. If the box gets checked yes and it wasn’t a legit move then it’s my understanding the player will be ruled ineligible. However, I’m told the form also has a section asking if the outgoing school believes a move to have taken place. Outgoing school don’t supposed to investigate said move or not as I’m told the incoming district DPP Coordinator is supposed to verify address change to be legit move. I’m also told that moving into the basement of head coach at incoming school district does NOT constitute a legit move. It seems like KHSAA is getting strict on non legit moves. I know a kid who just transferred back to his original school because of probable ineligibility and not wanting to sit out his senior year.
(06-14-2023, 12:17 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote: [ -> ]

It’s my understanding that the school ( AD) that a player leaves has to fill out the KHSAA form and a particular box has to be checked off, did the player play varsity last season YES OR NO. If the box gets checked yes and it wasn’t a legit move then it’s my understanding the player will be ruled ineligible. However, I’m told the form also has a section asking if the outgoing school believes a move to have taken place. Outgoing school don’t supposed to investigate said move or not as I’m told the incoming district DPP Coordinator is supposed to verify address change to be legit move. I’m also told that moving into the basement of head coach at incoming school district does NOT constitute a legit move. It seems like KHSAA is getting strict on non legit moves. I know a kid who just transferred back to his original school because of probable ineligibility and not wanting to sit out his senior year.

I would think that the term legit move vs non legit move may come into a bigger question. Who makes that decision?
Schools not in session right now. So I would assume if that’s the case they ruled a little early.
(06-14-2023, 09:22 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: [ -> ]Schools not in session right now.  So I would assume if that’s the case they ruled a little early.

If I'm not mistaken, and I frequently am, I thought that he transferred to Boyle before the school year was over.
Catastrophic mistake to contest the transfer. Catastrophic. Would be further destruction of the Danville program.
How does a kid that has given up on his team return to that team and play? Imo he can’t and the coach shouldn’t want him to…Why is this so complicated all the time, I know there has to be some rules in place but most always these kids are moving because the school they’re transferring to is a better opportunity. This kid will realize all his dreams playing under Haddix at Boyle Co he’ll get a ring and a college scholarship who can blame him?
(06-15-2023, 12:14 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2023, 09:22 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: [ -> ]Schools not in session right now.  So I would assume if that’s the case they ruled a little early.

If I'm not mistaken, and I frequently am, I thought that he transferred to Boyle before the school year was over.

He did.
This is a process. It will be worked out in the near future by the schools, parents and their attorney if one is needed. So far all of us are guessing what went wrong in the process if anything. Believe me that the parents were advised as to what needed to happen before their son transferred. The schools have gone through this before and they understand the process. So far we have heard that some Lex Cath players say they heard that the player was declared ineligible. I have been involved in this process before as a coach and never had a player denied eligibility. I don't think the final decision will be made before July.
I shared what I was told and the person who told me would know. It will all work out
He's been wearing black and gold all summer and he will continue to wear it this fall !
it is a bad look to block transfers espec considering it never works out the player ends up playing anyways
(06-16-2023, 12:21 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: [ -> ]it is a bad look to block transfers espec considering it never works out the player ends up playing anyways

no, I think it can be a bad look to not block/protest a transfer.  This way coach can say he protested the transfer (even if the coach knows the player will be ultimately found eligible) and say, hey I did what I am allowed to do, others make the decision. 

Perception/formality type thing.

Like a lawyer in court objecting to something that he knows is perfectly ok, sometimes you just have to do it, to say you did it.
(06-16-2023, 02:52 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-16-2023, 12:21 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: [ -> ]it is a bad look to block transfers espec considering it never works out the player ends up playing anyways

no, I think it can be a bad look to not block/protest a transfer.  This way coach can say he protested the transfer (even if the coach knows the player will be ultimately found eligible) and say, hey I did what I am allowed to do, others make the decision. 

Perception/formality type thing.

Like a lawyer in court objecting to something that he knows is perfectly ok, sometimes you just have to do it, to say you did it.
I’d never really thought about it this way and I can see what you’re saying don’t necessarily agree with it but I do understand.  Bottom line the current rules aren’t working and or aren’t enforced across the board, it makes the KHSAA seem crooked and incompetent (which they most likely are).  Change the rules or figure out how to enforce the current bylaws to make them applicable to everyone.
Hearing he got ruled ineligible because his SENIOR brother that was 2 weeks away from graduation didn't transfer to Boyle. The brother which just turned 19 a few days after graduation.
(06-16-2023, 11:52 PM)Footballfan33 Wrote: [ -> ]Hearing he got ruled ineligible because his SENIOR brother that was 2 weeks away from graduation didn't transfer to Boyle. The brother which just turned 19 a few days after graduation.

I honestly don’t know how that a sibling staying at a school vs one transferring would have anything to do with being ruled ineligible. . I know of other families that was in the same situation that transferred and one transferred and one stayed at the school they was already enrolled in. In both cases the kid was ruled eligible. I know a family that currently has to varsity players at 2 different high schools.
Pretty sure Quisenberry’s sister played basketball last year for Danville & him at BC. And was told initially he was ruled ineligible for the same reason when he came to BC from Garrard. I have to believe that coach Haddix knows how all this plays out before any kid comes/tries to come because from someone with a kid in the program he does what is best for these kids always.
(06-17-2023, 09:41 AM)CC117 Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure Quisenberry’s sister played basketball last year for Danville & him at BC.  And was told initially he was ruled ineligible for the same reason when he came to BC from Garrard.  I have to believe that coach Haddix knows how all this plays out before any kid comes/tries to come because from someone with a kid in the program he does what is best for these kids always.
An ethical coach does not involve himself in the transfer process. I am not saying that Haddix has not been ethical, but until a player has been ruled eligible, any coach in Kentucky should not be doing anything other than referring a transfer to the KHSAA or school principal if the parents or kid have questions about the process.
I will say this in defense of KHSAA, they try and enforce the rules, the problem is everyone knows the trick is to hire a lawyer sue the KHSAA in the new school’s judicial circuit, get an injunction and boom case is over. KHSAA is powerless to overcome a court order and multiple times they’ve asked the court of appeals to take it up and be denied because the year sit out is always over before the appeal time and the case is rejected as moot.
(06-17-2023, 10:55 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2023, 09:41 AM)CC117 Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure Quisenberry’s sister played basketball last year for Danville & him at BC.  And was told initially he was ruled ineligible for the same reason when he came to BC from Garrard.  I have to believe that coach Haddix knows how all this plays out before any kid comes/tries to come because from someone with a kid in the program he does what is best for these kids always.
An ethical coach does not involve himself in the transfer process. I am not saying that Haddix has not been ethical, but until a player has been ruled eligible, any coach in Kentucky should not be doing anything other than referring a transfer to the KHSAA or school principal if the parents or kid have questions about the process.
I’d say if anyone has any questions about eligibility they should contact Lynn Camp. They’ve had several transfer in recently and a coach is all over social media with them taking pics, hauling them to camps, posting comments about getting his boy back with player in picture with him just days after transfer to Lynn Camp. Sometimes the appearance of impropriety is worse. Not sure if I was coach I’d be posting pics with transfers at camps especially if not ruled eligible yet.
(06-17-2023, 08:46 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-16-2023, 11:52 PM)Footballfan33 Wrote: [ -> ]Hearing he got ruled ineligible because his SENIOR brother that was 2 weeks away from graduation didn't transfer to Boyle. The brother which just turned 19 a few days after graduation.

I honestly don’t know how that a sibling staying at a school vs one transferring would have anything to do with being ruled ineligible. . I know of other families that was in the same situation that transferred and one transferred and one stayed at the school they was already enrolled in. In both cases the kid was ruled eligible. I know a family that currently has to varsity players at 2 different high schools.

Simple, all comes down to if a transfer is protested or not.

(06-17-2023, 11:11 AM)fridaynightfights Wrote: [ -> ]I will say this in defense of KHSAA, they try and enforce the rules, the problem is everyone knows the trick is to hire a lawyer sue the KHSAA in the new school’s judicial circuit, get an injunction and boom case is over. KHSAA is powerless to overcome a court order and multiple times they’ve asked the court of appeals to take it up and be denied because the year sit out is always over before the appeal time and the case is rejected as moot.

Exactly, which is why the KHSAA got the legislation approved that (You have to live in the district to play) a few years ago.  However it didn't make things easier on the KHSAA, as transfers have tripled since that legislation was passed.
My kid has been in BC schools since kindergarten, so full disclosure to everyone I have no idea about the transfer process a kid goes through or coach Haddix’s involvement or lack of involvement. I have also never been a football coach and don’t know the ins & outs of ethics surrounding transfers. My statement was simply my opinion that coach Haddix does what is best for the kids. I would think a coach at a school like BC would know the circumstances surrounding a transfer of a kid of this level of talent, but maybe not. Again, opinion. It was not saying anything that coach Haddix did or didn’t do in the process. I have no idea