Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Requirements To Become A Head Football Coach???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are the requirements to become a head coach at the high school level?
Be willing to spend a ton of time away from you family for next to nothing. Be willing to take some of your kids home from practice because they have nobody else that cares about them. Be willing to care a ton about your kids, your town and your program but be questioned constantly in public message boards by people that have never played a down of football in their life. Even better sometimes by parents of your kids becasue little Jimmy didn't get more playing time etc. Oh yeh you have to be an idiot that calls the wrong plays a lot of runs the wrong scheme. You must be willing to be ready to fight coming off the field a lot of times too because you didn't play somebody that the fans wanted even though you and that kid know that he asked not to play because he was hurt. That's a start for youSmile
Honestly you HAVE to LOVE the game and the KIDS! You have to realize that there are know it alls that don't have a clue what goes on! You used to have to teach in the school system but there was a new law a couple of years ago that changed this. I think the school still has to take somebody in the system if the apply before they can take somebody out of the school. I'm not 100% but I think that's right. There might be some stipulations about graduating high school, no criminal record etc. It is great to see people that want to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem! I wish you the best of luck! There is NO JOB as rewarding as knowing that you have given a kid the hope to make something out of their life after football! A lot of times you are all that kid has! Kids coming back after college or having a job after they have started their family to say thank you is priceless! If you are a competitor there is nothing like it either! You have to be tough but it's a blast IMO!
i think you have to have something like 60hrs of college.
The following page will open in Adobe and has a lot, if not all of the requirements for coaching in the KHSAA.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw27.pdf
pass the I.Q. test!!!!
Do all the stuff the state makes you do, and love the kids. If you love the kids, the rest is easy. Many coaches love the game and/or themselves more than the kids. While they may be successful for a while, they are the ones that will be first to go down once the kids, parents and school officials see what drives them.

Have you ever noticed that there are some very good coaches at very average programs for a very long time? They could have moved on/up but they don't. They love the kids.
Tomcat68 Wrote:The following page will open in Adobe and has a lot, if not all of the requirements for coaching in the KHSAA.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw27.pdf

Good find, that should answer the question in full.
alfus21 Wrote:Good find, that should answer the question in full.

Isn't that the chick that runs KHSAA?
bulldog42 Wrote:Be willing to spend a ton of time away from you family for next to nothing. Be willing to take some of your kids home from practice because they have nobody else that cares about them. Be willing to care a ton about your kids, your town and your program but be questioned constantly in public message boards by people that have never played a down of football in their life. Even better sometimes by parents of your kids becasue little Jimmy didn't get more playing time etc. Oh yeh you have to be an idiot that calls the wrong plays a lot of runs the wrong scheme. You must be willing to be ready to fight coming off the field a lot of times too because you didn't play somebody that the fans wanted even though you and that kid know that he asked not to play because he was hurt. That's a start for youSmile
Honestly you HAVE to LOVE the game and the KIDS! You have to realize that there are know it alls that don't have a clue what goes on! You used to have to teach in the school system but there was a new law a couple of years ago that changed this. I think the school still has to take somebody in the system if the apply before they can take somebody out of the school. I'm not 100% but I think that's right. There might be some stipulations about graduating high school, no criminal record etc. It is great to see people that want to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem! I wish you the best of luck! There is NO JOB as rewarding as knowing that you have given a kid the hope to make something out of their life after football! A lot of times you are all that kid has! Kids coming back after college or having a job after they have started their family to say thank you is priceless! If you are a competitor there is nothing like it either! You have to be tough but it's a blast IMO!
That is so true. I wish everyone would read that. I never encouraged my wife and children to come to the games I coach, because of those same reasons. Also spending more time with someone else's children than your own and never cutting your grass from July to November. Trying to teach and coach. 16 hour days! But seeing your kids become men that you can be proud of is the most rewarding experience you can ever have.
bulldog42 Wrote:Be willing to spend a ton of time away from you family for next to nothing. Be willing to take some of your kids home from practice because they have nobody else that cares about them. Be willing to care a ton about your kids, your town and your program but be questioned constantly in public message boards by people that have never played a down of football in their life. Even better sometimes by parents of your kids becasue little Jimmy didn't get more playing time etc. Oh yeh you have to be an idiot that calls the wrong plays a lot of runs the wrong scheme. You must be willing to be ready to fight coming off the field a lot of times too because you didn't play somebody that the fans wanted even though you and that kid know that he asked not to play because he was hurt. That's a start for youSmile

EXCELLENT post Bulldog42!!!!
Blau Vogel Wrote:Isn't that the chick that runs KHSAA?

What?

:thumpsup:
Blau Vogel Wrote:Isn't that the chick that runs KHSAA?
Who, Alfus? Smile
alfus21 Wrote:What?

Brigid DeVries, KHSAA Commissioner, Actually the chimp might be better looking and absolutely smarter!

[Image: brigiddevries.jpg]
Blau Vogel Wrote:Brigid DeVries, KHSAA Commissioner, Actually the chimp might be better looking and absolutely smarter!

LOL you think so ? lmao she is a JOKE
Beef Wrote:Who, Alfus? Smile

I had no idea either Beef.

Blau Vogel Wrote:Brigid DeVries, KHSAA Commissioner, Actually the chimp might be better looking and absolutely smarter!

:eek: I had no idea what you were talking about but that was a good one my friend. Smile