Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: State Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There were actuall some pretty big upsets in different regions. Notice Trinity and ST X are nowhere to be found.

This is really a wide open tourney. 

June 1st 

1:30 PM
Bullitt East
Eastern

10AM
Shelby Co
McCracken Co

8:30PM
Raceland 
Lex Cath

5:00 PM
Beechwood 
Apollo

June 2nd

5:00 PM
Pikeville
Harrison Co

8:30PM
Pulaski Co
Henderson Co

10:00 AM
Whitley Co
Larue Co

1:30 PM
Breathitt Co
South Warren
Based on RPI, it looks like Whitley County has a real shot at a deep run.

How would everyone rank the teams coming in?
I would say the winner of the Pikeville /Harrison Co game would be a favorite moving forward. Harrison may be the best hitting team in the lower bracket.
Harrison has won 15 in a row and 31 overall, but many wins vs bad teams. Pikeville pitching more than capable of cooling them off. But if they issue as many free passes as they did against Paintsville and JC they will have a short stay in Lexington. Hopefully Duty will face them. Then Thompson vs Henderson/Pulaski and then Duty vs hopefully Whitley in semis. If that happens and pitching is on then Pikeville has as good a shot of making the finals as anyone IMO.
Any predictions?

Hard to know what some of these teams are capable of but I’ll take a stab at it.

Eastern
Shelby Co (close one)

Lex Cath
Beechwood

Pikeville
Henderson (close one-weakest matchup)

Whitley Co
South Warren

2nd Round

Eastern
Lex Cath

Pikeville
Whitley Co

Semis

Lex Cath
Whitley

Final
Lex Cath

Sorry Dougie.

I do feel like there’s a lot of good matchups here. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team like Whitley lose in the first round or win it all. Same with a lot of teams in the top bracket. Bottom half is wide open IMO

Any live streams at all?
(05-30-2023, 04:41 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: [ -> ]Any predictions?

Hard to know what some of these teams are capable of but I’ll take a stab at it.

Eastern
Shelby Co (close one)

Lex Cath
Beechwood

Pikeville

Whitley Co
South Warren

2nd Round

Eastern
Lex Cath

Pikeville
Whitley Co

Semis

Lex Cath
Whitley

Final
Lex Cath

Sorry Dougie.

I do feel like there’s a lot of good matchups here. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team like Whitley lose in the first round or win it all. Same with a lot of teams in the top bracket. Bottom half is wide open IMO

Don't see Pikeville being in a weak matchup. More than capable of beating anyone in the tournament on any given day, especially with Duty on the mound
(06-02-2023, 01:16 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

Eastern
Shelby Co (close one)

Lex Cath
Beechwood

Pikeville

Whitley Co
South Warren

2nd Round

Eastern
Lex Cath

Pikeville
Whitley Co

Semis

Lex Cath
Whitley

Final
Lex Cath

Sorry Dougie.

Don't see Pikeville being in a weak matchup. More than capable of beating anyone in the tournament on any given day, especially with Duty on the mound

I was referring to the Pulaski/Henderson matchup being the weakest one with Henderson winning. I agree on Pikeville

Went 3/4 today.

(06-02-2023, 01:16 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

Eastern
Shelby Co (close one)

Lex Cath
Beechwood

Pikeville

Whitley Co
South Warren

2nd Round

Eastern
Lex Cath

Pikeville
Whitley Co

Semis

Lex Cath
Whitley

Final
Lex Cath

Sorry Dougie.

inwas referring to the Pulaski/Henderson matchup being the weakest one. I agree on Pikeville
(06-01-2023, 09:24 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: [ -> ]Any live streams at all?

NFHS network. 13 bucks you can watch the whole thing.

just don’t forget to cancel.

and be prepared to listen to that old guy with the monotone voice that wants to talk about everything but the game

Whitley leads Larue 4-3 going to the bottom of 6

Whitley up to bat.

Croley pitched a solid 5 innings for Whitley. Got one on and had his pitch count high.
They pulled and out Bargo in and he gave up two runs and no out so now Whitley has pulled him and out in their ace Zehr to finish it out.

He’s supposed to start tomorrow with a win.

Whitley need to out some runs on the board this inning and get Zehr back out

Larue in at pitcher for LaRue.

Yea I said that right

Ground out

One out

Quick three up three down

Going to top of 7th

Whitley leads 4-3

Top of the order due up for LaRue

Zehr still in at pitcher

One out groundout

Double for Larue
Strikeout

Larue down to there last out but just needs a base hit

Game end with a throw at the plate

Whitley barely escapes this one and have used up there bullpen

Congrats Larue on a great game. Not many giving them a chance

That last play was a line drive to center field. Whitley CF threw a dart to home and beat the runner by 5 steps

What a game
Breathitt leads south Warren bottom of 1st 1-0

Breathitt at bay with one out

Good start for the bobcats

Breathitt uo 3-0 in top of the 3rd
Breathitt goes into the top of the 7th up 3-0 and South Warren just tied it up at 3-3

Pitching change for Breathitt

South Warren got 4 runs in the top of the 7th

They lead 4-3

Breathitt diwn to 3 outs

Breathitt got one on with one out

Two out.
Breathitt down to there last batter

South Warren wins it 4-3

Just fell apart in the 7th for Breathitt
Henderson beats Pulaski 6-1

Only 8 teams left

10AM
Eastern
Shelby Co

1:30
Lex Cath
Apollo

5:00
Harrison Co
Henderson Co

8:30
Whitley Co
South Warren
I believe the winner of Apollo and Lex Cath wins this thing . Just a guess. Raceland had a solid year. They are a team with no stars …just a group of great kids that worked their tails off. Good job fellas.
I don’t know about that. Shelby County has been on fire lately and continuing that in the tourney.

They move on to face the winner of Lex Cath and Apollo for a spot in the finals
Apollo beats Lex Cath 7-3

Wasn’t ever really close

Apollo and Shelby County will play in the semis
Harrison leads Henderson 3-1 in the 5th
Henderson beats Harrison 7-4
(06-03-2023, 08:48 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: [ -> ]Henderson beats Harrison 7-4
Thanks for keeping us updated
Go Colonels!
Give credit to Henderson. They kept battling despite being down 4-1. Harrison’s relief pitching couldn’t withstand their bats and Henderson moves on. Nice season for Harrison, albeit a disappointing ending.
South Warren leads Whitley 4-2 going to the bottom of the 5th

All runs were scored in third inning.

Whitley up to bat

Whitley’s bats come alive in the 5th

Whitley takes the lead 6-4
SW sits their ace. There number 2 is warming up

Whitley gets another across.

Whitley leads 7-4 going to the 6th

South Warren leaves one on in the 6th

Whitley still up 7-4 going to bottom of 6

SW down to three outs

Headed to the 7th

Whitley leads 7-4
Have I said lately how proud I am to be a Colonel?
Did the Colonels smoke some Warren County hind end or what? Smile
Whitley wins it 7-4

Heck of a performance.

Baseball titles are rare for this area. To my knowledge, the 13th and 14th has no winners. I think somerset, Boyd, and Ashland are the only schools with a title that’s in the eastern part of the state

Then there were four

Next Friday and Saturday

12:30
Shelby County vs. Apollo

6:30
Henderson Co vs. Whitley Co

I believe Shelby and Henderson have one before, Apollo and Whitley have not
[quote="KnoxvillesFinest" pid="2405109" dateline="1685845748"]
Whitley wins it 7-4

Heck of a performance.

Baseball titles are rare for this area. To my knowledge, the 13th and 14th has no winners. I think somerset, Boyd, and Ashland are the only schools with a title that’s in the eastern part of the state

Then there were four

Next Friday and Saturday

Shelby County vs. Apollo

Paintsville was the state champions in 1990.
(06-04-2023, 02:40 PM)Bob Seger Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2023, 11:29 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: [ -> ]Whitley wins it 7-4

Heck of a performance.

Then there were four

Next Friday and Saturday

Shelby County vs. Apollo

Paintsville was the state champions in 1990.

completely overlooked that one. 
there’s been a few runner ups for the 13th and 14th but no titles.
here’s a link to all former champs and runner ups

https://khsaa.org/records/baseball/baseb...finals.pdf

Henderson County is one of two remaining teams which has won a state championship. The Colonels beat Ballard, 1-0, to win the 2000 state title. Henderson County was also shut out, 4-0, by Woodford County in the 2012 state championship game.
The most recent second region team to win a baseball state championship was Christian County in 2004.

Despite a long history of successful baseball, Apollo has never won a state championship. The Eagles were semifinalists in 2003, 2007, and 2008.
The most recent third region team to win a baseball state championship was Owensboro, way back in 1987 against Harrison County, the Red Devils sixth and to this point final state crown.

Shelby County, the other semifinalist with a championship in their past, is looking to wear the crown for the first time since 1979. The Rockets beat Murray, 7-5, at Owensboro's Chautauqua Park to win the '79 championship. Shelby County has finished second on three occasions, most recently to Dunbar in 2007.
The only other eighth region team with a state championship is Woodford County, although the Yellowjackets were still members of the eleventh region when they won it all in 2012.

Finally, Whitley County has advanced farther than any team in school history. The Colonels won their first region title in 2021, falling to Lyon County in the quarterfinals that season. They are led by coach Jeremy Shope, whose Mercer County teams were runners-up in both 2011 and 2013.
No thirteenth region team has ever won a baseball state championship. Two teams have advanced to the final, with Harlan falling to Maysvile in 1958 and Corbin losing to Pleasure Ridge Park in 1994.
Any thoughts on each of the matchups or keys to the game?

How was each ranked coming in? Not the biggest fan of RPI rankings, which still look to be a work in progress, but I've included where they stand today below.

Current RPI:
1. Whitley County (.68319)
2. Shelby County (.63915)
3. Apollo (.58190)
4. Henderson County (.50246)
(06-07-2023, 12:49 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]Any thoughts on each of the matchups or keys to the game?

How was each ranked coming in? Not the biggest fan of RPI rankings, which still look to be a work in progress, but I've included where they stand today below.

Current RPI:
1. Whitley County (.68319)
2. Shelby County (.63915)
3. Apollo (.58190)
4. Henderson County (.50246)

it’s really a guessing game at this point. Every team will have all of there pitching.
if I’m a coach I’m just worried about making it to Saturday so I throw the best I’ve got Friday and figure it out from there.

The whole RPI thing is okay to look at but rarely translated in important head to heads. Whitley has had the best rpi in the state for pretty much the entire year but I wouldn’t consider them the best team all year. I also think any of those other three teams could beat them. 
it all comes down to who gets hot at the right time. If I had to pick Friday, on paper, Shelby and Whitley should win. don’t be shocked if Apollo and Henderson is playing Saturday though. You only need one pitch to stay alive.
Idk….who’s got the better pitching ? I know Apollo has two really good arms . I think Apollo gets it done this year
Pages: 1 2