Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mike Howard Hired at Betsy Layne
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Betsy Layne just announced that Mike Howard would be their head basketball coach.  The post stated that Howard is a BLHS alum, a former coach at BLES, and an assistant pastor at Betsy Layne Freewill Baptist.  

Congratulations and Good luck.
Good luck. Have a lot of talent at BL.
I don’t know him, but it seems like they made the right hire based off reactions on social media. Good for Betsy Layne.

Best of luck to Howard and the Bobcats!
(05-17-2023, 09:28 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t know him, but it seems like they made the right hire based off reactions on social media. Good for Betsy Layne.

Best of luck to Howard and the Bobcats!
Parent seem happy with it. Could be a good hire if he keep the hometown boys there. I thought Floyd county had to hire certified over those who doesn’t work in a school system
From what Ive heard he had a lot of pull from the inside. Hope this isn’t the case
Rumor was best returning player was going to Lawrence County if Howard wasn’t hired. Not sure if that has any legs. Just what was going around before hire was made.
(05-23-2023, 04:28 AM)WhistleBlower24 Wrote: [ -> ]From what Ive heard he had a lot of pull from the inside. Hope this isn’t the case

Yup. I thought Rady Martin would have got it.
(05-23-2023, 11:55 AM)Dawgs01 Wrote: [ -> ]Rumor was best returning player was going to Lawrence County if Howard wasn’t hired. Not sure if that has any legs. Just what was going around before hire was made.
Had to be something with politics. Only way it makes sense. Seen way more eligible candidates on the list. Rady Martin has been around coaching for years and always seems successful. Then you could look at their middle school coach who applied he’s won multiple county championships past few seasons. And those boys are or will be at Betsy Layne why not give him a shot to continue to work with them.
(05-24-2023, 12:17 AM)Tailback44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2023, 04:28 AM)WhistleBlower24 Wrote: [ -> ]From what Ive heard he had a lot of pull from the inside. Hope this isn’t the case

Yup. I thought Rady Martin would have got it.
I agree he was at the top of my list for sure.
Can someone list Rady’s coaching jobs?
In the long run if they allow Howard to do the job his way and the parents do not interfere, I believe he will do a pretty good job there. Expectations should be limited however because a Floyd County team hasn’t won region since I believe South Floyd in 2001. He will be dedicated to the school and involved in his feeder programs. He needs time to build and I hope they give it to him. After this upcoming season after Kidd and Pente move on, he will have a pretty young team and will need to develop younger kids. I believe he can do this, he will just need support from the school and community.

Now with that being said I’m not sure BL can give him that support. They’ve had two pretty good coaches in Short and Newsome recently and it seems the parents ran them off. So only time will tell if that happens to Howard. The administration will eventually need to stand up for their coaches.
Be lucky to field a jv team and it’s only going downhill from here ! Everyone can see it coming not only there but several other schools in the region it’s already begun at a few! I can see consolidation in the next 4-5 years I can see see 2 schools in Floyd soon 5 in pike
(05-24-2023, 10:57 AM)Sports72 Wrote: [ -> ]Be lucky to field a jv team and it’s only going downhill from here !  Everyone can see it coming not only there but several other schools in the region  it’s already begun at a few!  I can see consolidation in the next 4-5 years  I can see see 2 schools in Floyd soon 5 in pike
Just curious but how much enrollment have they lost? I would think it would have to be a pretty significant amount before consolidation could be considered.

Pike would make sense to close one of their schools. Their enrollment has been declining for several years now.
(05-24-2023, 09:11 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]In the long run if they allow Howard to do the job his way and the parents do not interfere, I believe he will do a pretty good job there.  Expectations should be limited however because a Floyd County team hasn’t won region since I believe South Floyd in 2001.  He will be dedicated to the school and involved in his feeder programs. He needs time to build and I hope they give it to him.  After this upcoming season after Kidd and Pente move on, he will have a pretty young team and will need to develop younger kids.  I believe he can do this, he will just need support from the school and community.

Now with that being said I’m not sure BL can give him that support.  They’ve had two pretty good coaches in Short and Newsome recently and it seems the parents ran them off.  So only time will tell if that happens to Howard.  The administration will eventually need to stand up for their coaches.
Well IMO the reason floyd county hasn’t been a top contender in years is due to stuff like this tho. They make politic moves instead of strategic moves. They want someone they control like a YES Man and this usually causes all the good players to leave and play for other schools.
(05-24-2023, 10:57 AM)Sports72 Wrote: [ -> ]Be lucky to field a jv team and it’s only going downhill from here !  Everyone can see it coming not only there but several other schools in the region  it’s already begun at a few!  I can see consolidation in the next 4-5 years  I can see see 2 schools in Floyd soon 5 in pike
They will never consolidate BL
Consolidation has more to do with teacher shortage than it does enrollment. It will happen.
Stumbo and BLES will consolidate as well.
The ship be sinking
(05-26-2023, 11:22 AM)100%SUCCESS Wrote: [ -> ]Consolidation has more to do with teacher shortage than it does enrollment. It will happen.
Stumbo and BLES will consolidate as well.

I'm surprised Stumbo is still open. I figured they'd split them up between Betsy Layne and South Floyd Elementary.
Every team benefits from this hire because this prick is the worst damn referee in the history of basketball.