Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NFL #1 Overall Picks from what states....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kentucky (2) has more than Florida (1). 

Found this to be interesting. Doesn't mean Kentucky is superior or even close but with all the talent in Florida I would have assumed they would have quite a few #1 overall picks. 
MaxPreps
Tim Couch and who else?
(05-15-2023, 06:43 PM)Jarons Wrote: [ -> ]Tim Couch and who else?

Paul Hornung

Kentucky had 2 overall to Florida's 1 (what the original poster was referencing).

Texas led with 14, California was second with 12.
Surprised by Florida as well but I guess it makes sense when you think about it. Florida churns out skill position players, and most #1 picks are QBs or O & D-Lineman. The last non-QB or lineman picked #1 in the draft was Keyshawn Johnson in 1996.
(05-16-2023, 12:01 PM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]Surprised by Florida as well but I guess it makes sense when you think about it. Florida churns out skill position players, and most #1 picks are QBs or O & D-Lineman. The last non-QB or lineman picked #1 in the draft was Keyshawn Johnson in 1996.

Had to fact check you and realized that Calvin Johnson went #2 overall.

As for the numbers, Florida is the third most populous state, but they aren't really close to California or Texas in terms of their overall totals. Lots of the people in that count are statistically more likely to be older transplants as well. Agree fully on Florida being centered on speed.

Throw in some luck where someone is once seen as the #1 overall pick, but something like an injury or slide in draft stock happens (who remembers "Tank for Teddy"?) and this is what we've ended up with.