Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 10 Mountain Head Coaches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who are your top ten mountain coaches of all time? What records/statistics can support your claims?
Haywood
Hilton
Holcomb
French
Matney
Larkey
Hillard Howard

Those 7 have to be in there somewhere
Cotton Adams, Dudley Hilton, Ed Miracle Smile
Chris McNamee has to be in there with 4 titles now and still going.
Haywood
French
Hilton
McNamee
Matney

Hard to believe the top three wins coaches in KHSAA history is all in the mountains. Two in the same county. All are getting older. Hope they stay around a while longer.
Walter Brugh belongs somewhere on the list. 280 career wins. No state titles but 1A was a much tougher class before classes 4A Through 6A were added.
1. Haywood
2. Holcomb
3. Matney
4. Hilton
5. French
6. McNamee
Always interesting to see how many "have" to be on a list like this.
Anyone who doesn't have Ed Miracle on a top 10 list may be too young to vote on all-time list :) Miracle led Lynch to four state titles and four state runner-up finishes from 1959 to 1971 in the days when all the teams in Kentucky, outside of Louisville, were in two classes.
Agree with Miracle, but if you meant have to on my post, nobody has to do anything but 4 titles and still going gets you on any sane person’s list
(05-10-2023, 10:27 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]Always interesting to see how many "have" to be on a list like this.
Anyone who doesn't have Ed Miracle on a top 10 list may be too young to vote on all-time list Smile Miracle led Lynch to four state titles and four state runner-up finishes from 1959 to 1971 in the days when all the teams in Kentucky, outside of Louisville, were in two classes.
Those Lynch teams were loaded. I remember watching them play Paintsville a couple of times. In at least one of the games, Paintsville hung close for a half but Lynch just had to much size and depth and pulled away in the second half. My recollection is that Lynch had one of the best high school running backs that I have ever seen. I think his name was Ellington - huge and fast.
(05-10-2023, 11:09 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2023, 10:27 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]Always interesting to see how many "have" to be on a list like this.
Anyone who doesn't have Ed Miracle on a top 10 list may be too young to vote on all-time list Smile Miracle led Lynch to four state titles and four state runner-up finishes from 1959 to 1971 in the days when all the teams in Kentucky, outside of Louisville, were in two classes.
Those Lynch teams were loaded. I remember watching them play Paintsville a couple of times. In at least one of the games, Paintsville hung close for a half but Lynch just had to much size and depth and pulled away in the second half. My recollection is that Lynch had one of the best high school running backs that I have ever seen. I think his name was Ellington - huge and fast.
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
Hillard Howard *
Phillip Haywood
Dudley Hilton
Chris McNamee
Mike Holcomb
Ed Miracle
* First high School Football Coach in the State of Kentucky to win Three championships in a row 87, 88, & 89.
(05-10-2023, 10:53 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Agree with Miracle, but if you meant have to on my post, nobody has to do anything but 4 titles and still going gets you on any sane person’s list

My point was several people used the word "have" or something like it and there are already about 20 on the list. Nothing but respect from me on McNamee - great guy and coach. Winning a Class A title in the 1960s would be like winning a combined A-AA championship now though, and maybe some 3A teams also.
Pikeville beat a lot of 2 3 4 5 and 6A teams in their championship years. Not taking anything away from Lynch, but they won before football exploded in KY and made it a football state. Pikeville powerhouse teams in the present would demolish those Lynch teams.
I don't know who they wouldn't demolish from what I've seen you post over the years. Beating "a lot" of those teams isn't the same as having to beat all of them though, which is what it would be like if they were combined. My post had nothing to do with you or Pikeville though - just honoring a coach who many have forgot because it's been a few years.
(05-11-2023, 12:28 AM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know who they wouldn't demolish from what I've seen you post over the years. Beating "a lot" of those teams isn't the same as having to beat all of them though, which is what it would be like if they were combined. My post had nothing to do with you or Pikeville though - just honoring a coach who many have forgot because it's been a few years.

Miracle's legacy will never be forgotten, or Lynch's. Legendary. If Hollywood really made movies anymore they should do one about those guys. Would be up there with "Hoosiers" "Remember the Titans" and "October Sky"
The H & M's

Haywood
Hilton
Holcomb
Howard
MacNamee
Matney
Miracle

HM (Honorable Mention):
French
Dixon
Hines
Haddix (EKY was his stepping stone to greatness)

Coaches Who Made Their Mark:
Larkey
Cain
Roark
Brugh
Derossett
Powers
Adams
Chirico
Herron
Jack Hall - Elkhorn City

1964 State Champions
205 wins at Elkhorn City, Fleming Neon, Richmond Madison, Betsy Layne, Kings Mill
(05-11-2023, 09:00 AM)TribePride Wrote: [ -> ]Jack Hall - Elkhorn City

1964 State Champions
205 wins at Elkhorn City, Fleming Neon, Richmond Madison, Betsy Layne, Kings Mill
That's impressive.

In order of wins from KHSAA. https://khsaa.org/records/football/footb...aching.pdf

472-Haywood
419-Hilton
309-Matney
289-Holcomb
280-Brugh
244-Howard
209-Rains

List ends with Rains.
I'd say what Chuke williams did at Lawrence County for those 7 years was also pretty special. He was also a pioneer of going across state lines to get top talent.
Hillard Howard
Chris McNamee
Phillip Haywood
Dudley Hilton
Mike Holcomb
Ed Miracle
10. Jack Hall - Fleming Neon/Elkhorn City/Madison/Kings Mill, OH/Betsy Layne
9. Archie Powers - Williamsburg/Corbin
8. Ivan McGlone - Russell/Vinson, WV
7. Chris McNamee - Pikeville/Pike Co. Central
6. Jim Matney - Sheldon Clark/Johnson Central
5. Hillard Howard - Pikeville/Letcher Co. Central
4. Mike Holcomb - Breathitt Co./Letcher Co. Central
3. Dudley Hilton - Breathitt Co./Bell Co./Bourbon Co./Taylor Co.
2. Ed Miracle - Lynch East/Madison Central
1. Philip Haywood - Prestonsburg/Belfry
(05-11-2023, 09:30 AM)Explorer Wrote: [ -> ]

1964 State Champions
That's impressive.

In order of wins from KHSAA. https://khsaa.org/records/football/footb...aching.pdf

472-Haywood
419-Hilton
309-Matney
289-Holcomb
280-Brugh
244-Howard
209-Rains

List ends with Rains.

French ??

(05-11-2023, 12:11 PM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]10. Jack Hall - Fleming Neon/Elkhorn City/Madison/Kings Mill, OH/Betsy Layne

French ??
I don't know why Larry French would be on the list. If it were an overall list, yes. His accomplishments at Southwestern and Middlesboro are not really that impressive compared to the others on the list.
(05-11-2023, 09:36 PM)BEChargers Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-11-2023, 09:30 AM)Explorer Wrote: [ -> ]

1964 State Champions
That's impressive.

472-Haywood
419-Hilton
309-Matney
289-Holcomb
280-Brugh
244-Howard
209-Rains

List ends with Rains.

French ??

(05-11-2023, 12:11 PM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]10. Jack Hall - Fleming Neon/Elkhorn City/Madison/Kings Mill, OH/Betsy Layne

French ??
 Missed French on my list. 356 wins. 3rd all time.

how do you clam to know about football and leave Larry French off your top 10 list he's the KING at taking a program that's down and building them back upnot to mention he's 2-1 in state championship games and 3 all time winningest coach in the state of kentucky
Top 10 MOUNTAIN head coaches ?? Are all these guys mountain coaches ?
French is a great coach but the only true MOUNTAIN school on his list is Middlesboro. Some would include Southwestern, but still most of the wins were in other parts of the state.
I don't know, he won a lot of games in the Mountains coaching those "other" teams.
(05-12-2023, 08:41 AM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know why Larry French would be on the list. If it were an overall list, yes. His accomplishments at Southwestern and Middlesboro are not really that impressive compared to the others on the list.

his second year at middlesboro took them to state semifinals and a 13-1 record 5 years before french middlesboro won 7 games combined thats pretty impressive to me
(05-13-2023, 05:10 PM)mr yellow jacket Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-12-2023, 08:41 AM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know why Larry French would be on the list. If it were an overall list, yes. His accomplishments at Southwestern and Middlesboro are not really that impressive compared to the others on the list.

his second year at middlesboro took them to state semifinals and a 13-1 record 5 years before french middlesboro won 7 games combined thats pretty impressive to me

Yes so he is a better mountain coach than Kenny Roark? I think he is a top 10 statewide coach, but he is not a top 10 mountain coach...Coaches who had their success in the mountains.
Pages: 1 2