Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Players back in the day but coaching now. Who are they?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The mountain schools have produced some great players through the years. Now, some of them have stayed close to what means so much to them and that is High School Football. I'll start by putting the spotlight on my favorite Coach Chris McNamee at Pikeville High School. Who ya got?
Kyle Moore QB Breathitt County
Eddie James head coach Franklin County. Played for Franklin County. Graduated 2005
Mike Salmons Raceland
T.J. Maynard Russell
Grizzle went to Raceland…has coached at all 3 schools in the county with various positions. Maynard is a Russell grad and has done the same. Salmons at Raceland. Fannin, Pack, Logan, Farley, and I’m sure some others I’m forgetting are on Riceland’s staff that played and graduated from Ram Country. I believe Nevan Johnson, a Raceland grad is also on Russell’s staff.
Justin Haddix Qb Breathitt County

Perry Central
Corbin (2 state runner up)
Boyle County (3 state championship)
Lawrence County:

Gerad Parker - OC Notre Dame
Jason Michael - TE Coach Philadelphia Eagles
Donate Wright - DB Coach WVU
Alan Short - HC Lawrence County
Breathitt tree is interesting. Dudley Hilton was head coach and Mike Holcomb and Gene Peterson were both on staff.

Peterson takes HC POSITION at Fleming.

Holcomb takes HC position. Played or coached at BHS and became HCES:

John Paul Chapman
Larry Maggard
Kyle Moore
Brian Turner
Justin Haddix
Justin Combs
Brad Hayes( I think at ER)

May be others that I missed.

(05-13-2023, 07:39 AM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt tree is interesting.  Dudley Hilton was head coach and Mike Holcomb and Gene Peterson were both on staff. 

Holcomb takes HC position.  Played or coached at BHS and became HCES:

John Paul Chapman
Larry Maggard
Kyle Moore
Brian Turner
Justin Haddix
Justin Combs
Brad Allen 

Add Steve Hollan to the list; I’m sure I have forgotten someone else.
Junior Matthews played for Whitesburg in the late 80’s. He’s now coaching at Letcher County Central.
Ronn Varney now head coach at Pike County Central played there in the early 2000's.
justin curry played at harlan coaches at middlesboro

zach massengill played at middlesboro coaches at middlesboro

huter adams played at middlesboro coaches at middlesboro
Paul Sullivan. Standout RB/DB at Pikeville. Now DC there and head coach in waiting I’d assume.
Jarredd Jarrell

Coach Jarrell played at Prestonsburg. He's now coaching at Betsy Layne and doing a very nice job.
(05-13-2023, 07:39 AM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt tree is interesting.  Dudley Hilton was head coach and Mike Holcomb and Gene Peterson were both on staff. 

John Paul Chapman
Larry Maggard
Kyle Moore
Brian Turner
Justin Haddix
Justin Combs
Brad Hayes( I think at ER)

John Paul Chapman
Larry Maggard
Kyle Moore
Brian Turner
Justin Haddix
Justin Combs
Brad Allen 

Add Steve Hollan to the list; I’m sure I have forgotten someone else.
Mike Bowling East Jessamine and Grant co
Mark Dixon Hazard and Perry Central
Joe Beder Lesile co and Knott co
Brad Allen-East Ridge
and lot of great assistant coaches that never wanted be Head Coaches.
Bill Letton played for Montgomery co.. He coached Prestonsburg, where he took them to a state ttile game. Then Lex cath where he took them too eight consecutive regional final appearances, four semi-final appearances , and a state title
Now hes associate head coach iin Ga for the Walton Raiders.. His son played football and is now coaching too
Travis Jones from Russell is the head coach at Greenup County now.
nm.
Nathan McPeek from Russell used to be head coach at Fairview.
Scott Grizzle from Raceland used to be head coach at Greenup County.
Former Belfry Standouts RayQuan Horton and Nate Sanger.

Horton is currently a strength and conditioning coach at the University of Kentucky. Spent the ‘22 campaign with the national champion Georgia Bulldogs.

Sanger is currently a strength and conditioning coach at the University of Tennessee. He spent last season coaching at Belfry.
Boyle County:

Brandon Smith HC South Warren
Keegan Kendrick HC Bullitt East
Travis Leffew was HC at Lincoln, now OC at Boyle Co.

Several assistant coaches. Not going to try to name because I know I will forget someone.
Randall Mullins
Knott County Central