Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NIL In High School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
North Carolina just passed a bill allowing high school athletes to use their name, image, and likeness. 
Is Kentucky considering this? How do you feel about high school athletes using their name, image, and likeness? 
https://www.witn.com/2023/05/03/nchsaa-p...-athletes/
(05-03-2023, 04:30 PM)Jarons Wrote: [ -> ]North Carolina just passed a bill allowing high school athletes to use their name, image, and likeness. 
Is Kentucky considering this? How do you feel about high school athletes using their name, image, and likeness? 
I think this will get very ugly and it will end amateur sports. If this keeps going the way it’s going you will see the end of high school sports all together. Club sports will pop up everywhere and kids will be paid to play at a very young age.
(05-03-2023, 06:21 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2023, 04:30 PM)Jarons Wrote: [ -> ]North Carolina just passed a bill allowing high school athletes to use their name, image, and likeness. 
I think this will get very ugly and it will end amateur sports. If this keeps going the way it’s going you will see the end of high school sports all together. Club sports will pop up everywhere and kids will be paid to play at a very young age.
The quality of high schools sports is already spiraling toward a crash because of KHSAA transfer rules being haphazardly enforced. I am not going to accuse any coach or school of illegally recruiting players but it is obvious that transfers of top tier players among the better programs is becoming more common every year.

I am fundamentally in favor of eliminating rules regarding transfers, but the rules are on the books and I am also fundamentally opposed to the failure of the KHSAA to enforce those rules fairly across the board.

As far as payments to high school athletes, I have never understood how governments and athletic associations can prevent players from profiting from their work. If a kid wants to endorse some product and a company is willing to pay for the endorsement, then I don't see a problem. I am sure that companies will be trying to identify future star collegiate and professional athletes and sign them to contracts as early as possible, but I don't see that happening often enough to destroy high school sports.
(05-03-2023, 06:37 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
The quality of high schools sports is already spiraling toward a crash because of KHSAA transfer rules being haphazardly enforced. I am not going to accuse any coach or school of illegally recruiting players but it is obvious that transfers of top tier players among the better programs is becoming more common every year.

I am fundamentally in favor of eliminating rules regarding transfers, but the rules are on the books and I am also fundamentally opposed to the failure of the KHSAA to enforce those rules fairly across the board.

As far as payments to high school athletes, I have never understood how governments and athletic associations can prevent players from profiting from their work. If a kid wants to endorse some product and a company is willing to pay for the endorsement, then I don't see a problem. I am sure that companies will be trying to identify future star collegiate and professional athletes and sign them to contracts as early as possible, but I don't see that happening often enough to destroy high school sports.
This is off topic but I don’t believe transfers are the problem. I believe lack of enough quality programs in this state force kids to look around at other places to play. Ohio has transfers but that state has a ton of talent and a ton of great programs so it goes unnoticed
(05-03-2023, 06:45 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]

This is off topic but I don’t believe transfers are the problem. I believe lack of enough quality programs in this state force kids to look around at other places to play. Ohio has transfers but that state has a ton of talent and a ton of great programs so it goes unnoticed
I agree with you to a point but it is much easier for good programs to "attract" talented transfers in metro areas like central Kentucky, NKY, Louisville, etc. It is much more difficult for good rural county programs to attract transfers because of the distances involved. What is going on in central Kentucky is destroying the class system. When a team draws the best talent from a population of students that is several times its own enrollment, then they should be able to compete well above their classification. It is a matter of time before some parent disgruntled at his kid's playing time, or some other coaching offense, gets some of the "have" programs in some hot water.

There have always been transfers but in the past most transfers were the result of kids looking for opportunities for more playing time. What is going on now is closer to LeBron James's attempts to play GM and build super teams through player acquisitions.
If I’m not mistaken TN legalized (or whatever you want to call it) NIL for high school players last year. I’m not sure how it’s going but I haven’t heard any disaster stories
(05-03-2023, 06:21 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ][quote="Jarons" pid="2403444" dateline="1683142246"]
North Carolina just passed a bill allowing high school athletes to use their name, image, and likeness. 

THIS EXACTLY!!!! GREAT POST
(05-03-2023, 06:55 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree with you to a point but it is much easier for good programs to "attract" talented transfers in metro areas like central Kentucky, NKY, Louisville, etc. It is much more difficult for good rural county programs to attract transfers because of the distances involved. What is going on in central Kentucky is destroying the class system. When a team draws the best talent from a population of students that is several times its own enrollment, then they should be able to compete well above their classification. It is a matter of time before some parent disgruntled at his kid's playing time, or some other coaching offense, gets some of the "have" programs in some hot water.

There have always been transfers but in the past most transfers were the result of kids looking for opportunities for more playing time. What is going on now is closer to LeBron James's attempts to play GM and build super teams through player acquisitions.
I remember just a few years ago Johnson Central had 6 different counties represented on their football team at the Jr High level now I’m not sure if all 6 counties stayed through high school. They had Johnson, Floyd, Lawrence, Martin, Magoffin, and a kid from Morgan Co.
So fairly easy to do in rural areas as well.
Don’t forget the part where they would cherry pick your team and then offer you $5,000 to come play them…..
The programs that would likely benefit from this the most have already been getting transfers. So, I don’t think we would notice much change in Kentucky if NIL was adopted by the state.
(05-03-2023, 09:12 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2023, 06:21 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this will get very ugly and it will end amateur sports. If this keeps going the way it’s going you will see the end of high school sports all together. Club sports will pop up everywhere and kids will be paid to play at a very young age.

I remember just a few years ago Johnson Central had 6 different counties represented on their football team at the Jr High level now I’m not sure if all 6 counties stayed through high school. They had Johnson, Floyd, Lawrence, Martin, Magoffin, and a kid from Morgan Co.
Academically, Johnson Central has a much better school system than any of the adjoining counties. The school had a lot of out of district students when their football program was not very good and they were losing many of their best football players to Paintsville. That is quite different than getting D-1 talent transferring into the district at the high school level on a steady basis. Still, the population of students that can opt to attend Johnson Central without making a long commute is very small compared to the schools in the areas that I mentioned.

Even if Johnson Central were recruiting players from Floyd, Lawrence, Martin, Magoffin, and Morgan Counties, I have not noticed many D-1 recruits transferring in to play for JC. Maybe I missed some that you can name. I do recall some D-1 recruits who lived in the JC district but played for the Tigers. I'm not complaining about that either, BTW. Paintsville is one of the strongest schools in the area academically and at the time, the Tigers also had a better football program. You can't fault parents for sending their kids to a great school with a better football program.
"I remember just a few years ago Johnson Central had 6 different counties represented on their football team at the Jr High level now I’m not sure if all 6 counties stayed through high school. They had Johnson, Floyd, Lawrence, Martin, Magoffin, and a kid from Morgan Co.
So fairly easy to do in rural areas as well."

I didn't realized Johnson County was considered Central Kentucky.
Might as well go all in. You’ve already got schools hoarding players like all star teams so the quicker it comes to this the better because the only possible outcome is it burning to the ground and going the way of non school affiliated aau type teams
(05-03-2023, 09:50 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2023, 06:37 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]The quality of high schools sports is already spiraling toward a crash because of KHSAA transfer rules being haphazardly enforced. I am not going to accuse any coach or school of illegally recruiting players but it is obvious that transfers of top tier players among the better programs is becoming more common every year.

Academically, Johnson Central has a much better school system than any of the adjoining counties. The school had a lot of out of district students when their football program was not very good and they were losing many of their best football players to Paintsville. That is quite different than getting D-1 talent transferring into the district at the high school level on a steady basis. Still, the population of students that can opt to attend Johnson Central without making a long commute is very small compared to the schools in the areas that I mentioned.

Even if Johnson Central were recruiting players from Floyd, Lawrence, Martin, Magoffin, and Morgan Counties, I have not noticed many D-1 recruits transferring in to play for JC. Maybe I missed some that you can name. I do recall some D-1 recruits who lived in the JC district but played for the Tigers. I'm not complaining about that either, BTW. Paintsville is one of the strongest schools in the area academically and at the time, the Tigers also had a better football program. You can't fault parents for sending their kids to a great school with a better football program.
Pretty sure D Johnson went to Youngstown State and was from Floyd Co. That’s one off the top of my head.
(05-04-2023, 11:48 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2023, 09:50 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2023, 06:45 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]This is off topic but I don’t believe transfers are the problem. I believe lack of enough quality programs in this state force kids to look around at other places to play. Ohio has transfers but that state has a ton of talent and a ton of great programs so it goes unnoticed

Pretty sure D Johnson went to Youngstown State and was from Floyd Co. That’s one off the top of my head.
Born in Paintsville and was a four-year starter at Johnson Central. I don't know where he attended school before that. Maybe JC snagged him in kindergarten.
Hard to go wrong with the education you get at Johnson Central or Paintsville. Compare that to surrounding counties and its easy to see why parents make the decision. Same with Pikeville.

On the NIL topic. I'm all for it. It's the world we live in now.

We can call hate the college transfer portal, open borders, open enrollment, kids switching schools, etc. But it's not going anywhere and complaining about it will accomplish nothing. Adapt or die.
It’s likely a matter of time before we see county/regional club sports become a big thing. Especially with the push to get rid of the independent schools.