Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2023-2024 Preseason Top 25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
These won't be perfect and will obviously have a speculative element, but who do you have? I'll share my best effort shortly.
Caveat: There's a reason that this is a preseason ranking. Nothing on May 1 is going to be perfect. There are going to be teams left out. There are going to be teams who might not deserve to be ranked in the discussion. There will be teams ranked too high or too low, especially in comparison to one other team. There is a ton of fluidity as things develop: coaches may leave, players will transfer, injuries will occur, etc.

With that said, here goes.
1. Bowling Green:
The Purples took eventual State Champion Warren Central to overtime in the 2023 Regional Tournament and lose no seniors. Makayelus Wardlow, Mason Ritter, and Duece Bayley all averaged double figures last season while Braylon Banks narrowly missed the cut. With the sting of having fallen just short the previous season serving as motivation for a deep, talented roster, this is my preseason #1. Based on the information available at this time, I'd expect to see them at or near the top of almost all preseason rankings.

2. Great Crossing:
6'11 Malachi Moreno is a match-up nightmare and few teams will have anyone near his height. Great Crossing joined Bowling Green in having no seniors last season. The Warhawks found success in 2023, even if they faltered a bit down the stretch after a torrid start. Though it's Moreno's show, they were more than a one-man team and have plenty of talent around him. Keep an eye on their chemistry, which seemed to hurt their depth last season. If things are clicking, their biggest obstacle may be dealing with the weight of expectations and finding a way to navigate an always-tough region.

3. Frederick Douglass:
Lots of high-level athletes who are proven winners on both the hardwood and gridiron. I'm a huge fan of Armelo Boone and Aveion Chenault, and their presence means they don't have to rely on one player. They are coming off of an impressive showing in Rupp and didn't lose tons of production from last season; yes, Simpson and Webb will be missed, but they have a sizeable pool to tap into for replacements. Their biggest obstacle may also be finding a way to tune out the noise and to remain focused despite the expectations and pressure. The 11th has the most top-end teams in my rankings, so there are lots of squads who can do different things to beat you. If you are able to handle their pressure and not let their advantage in athleticism that yields quick runs and rim-shaking dunks overwhelm you, then they could be susceptible, as I'm not sure that they aren't one-dimensional, especially on a night that they are cold from the field and/or the whistles are tight.

4. Woodford County:
Jasper Johnson is one of the most talented players in the state regardless of class. The dynamic Junior-to-be guard will lead the Jackets as he builds his list of offers and continues to gain notoriety. Woodford only lost one of their top six scorers from last season and as most of last year’s contributors were then-sophomores. A recent move out of the 11th and into the 8th could leave them poised for a multiple year run, as unlike the majority of the teams in their geographical radius, their road to success isn’t paved with landmines. The spotlight will only get hotter if Johnson draws interest from Kentucky and Louisville. Jasper is a UK legacy, as his Dad is former standout defensive end Dennis Johnson.

5. Western:
A rising sixth region team who was considered a bit young last season, the Warriors surprised casual observers with the way they came onto the scene and will return the bulk of their very talented roster. Gone is leading scorer Trent Hinkle and his 11.8 points per game. Returning from their balanced attack are the next four leading scorers in Junior-to-be: Julius Edmonds (11.6), Elijah Clinton (9.8), Josiah Lawson (8.8), and Jayden Miles (8.7). Myles could be a breakout player whose name becomes more familiar as the summer circuit gets into swing. While not a well-recognized program throughout the state, this is a team who played Warren Central within 7 on a neutral floor and lost to Indianapolis Cathedral by 14 at home last season. If the band stays together, this could be a special group.
6. Manual:
Damone King is highly rated in recruiting circles and Manual will return lots of last year’s production for the 6’3 combo guard’s senior season, as their top three scorers return. The Crimsons will have to work to overcome some of the stigma of not being a traditional power in a region filled with some of the state’s best. Size and rebounding may also be a bit of an issue as well. This rating is based on a comparison of what both they and their top competition in the 7th are returning as of today, and the Crimsons stand firmly in this position due to King’s ability to takeover games and the fact that the team shot 39.7% from three and 68.9% from the line last season.

7. Lyon County:
Travis Perry broke King Kelly Coleman's scoring record and will be back for his final season. The Lyons return six of their top seven scorers from last season. The supporting cast progressed from 2022 to 2023, and another jump might be possible, but the school has a small enrollment and isn't in an area known for churning out basketball players. I’m a fan of Shoulders, and if he’s able to make another jump, it could go a long way. He is very springy and his ability to rebound and finish can't be overstated. Lyon isn't the deepest or most athletic. They are probably at least a player or two away from winning it all, but are a proven commodity and one of the safest inclusions in this list. They’ll want to avoid up-tempo games with top competition, especially ones where the refs are letting hand-checking and physical play go.

8. Elizabethtown:
Positionless basketball may be en vogue, but Panthers’ big Ayden Evans is one of the most prized recruits in what’s still a big man’s game at this level. His size and shot blocking ability brings a dimension that most teams in Kentucky just don’t have. After a deep run to Rupp in the 2023 postseason, James Haire’s squad will again be poised for March despite losing Obian Howard and Jujuan Williams to graduation as JQuan Williams, Trey Durbin, and Alex Edwards will be asked to step up and increase the numbers that they produced in more limited roles last season.

9. Newport:
After a March run that came as a bit of a surprise to some, the Wildcats return lots of talent. Team chemistry and keeping emotions in check will be vital to their success should their talented roster return in tact. Gone is leading scorer Marquez Miller (15.9). Then-freshman Taylen Kinney (13.9) was last year’s second leading scorer while Senior-to-be Jabari Covington and Sophomore-to-be James Turner averaged 12 and 8.5 points per game respectively. Covington Catholic, Conner, and Holy Cross lost tons. Given that they were left standing at NKU, I’ll give the ‘Cats the nod as the top team in the 9th Region and Northern Kentucky area going into the season. Keep in mind that this team’s roster construction might be especially fluid and their ranking highly volatile—they could add a player that pushes them to a higher level or lose what they’ve worked to build.

10. Lloyd:
The Juggernauts made waves last season by reaching the regional final. They had a talented group led by Jeremiah Israel’s 21.6 ppg. While they lose Israel to NKU, they return their next four leading scorers, which isn’t bad for a team that averaged 44.6% from three on the year. 6’8 forward EJ Walker should lead the way and could have an offer sheet and interest that steadily grows over the coming summer period. Lloyd will need to keep what they have and reign in some inefficiencies, but could be a team to watch again this season. There’s certainly no love lost between this squad and the Newport Wildcats team ranked just ahead of them.
11. Male:
Lose a lot, but return a lot as well. Cole Edlen should be ready to lead and Jasson Gasaway gained valuable experience last season. One of the larger schools on the list and their student population and feeders should have plenty of talent to replace what was lost to graduation. Ballard lost a lot, and I’ll give the Bulldogs an edge over Trinity based on their status as defending champions. This is a point in the list where things become more speculative and dependent on what you think a program is going to be able to replace production with.

12. Trinity:
The Shamrocks are always a tough out. I’m admittedly not the biggest fan of teams who play low-scoring games filled with high leverage possessions, but their style works well for them and they’ve shown that they’re willing and able to adapt their style to match their talent in the past. Szabo’s cast is one of the harder teams to gauge as they return a lot of last year’s production, but may also have a player or two not on the BGR radar that adds another dimension.

13. Jeffersontown:
Returning are leading scorers Camron McDaniels (12.2) and Lukus McDaniels (10.4). They lose their next three leaders in ppg to graduation, but also return Brenton Moore’s 8.6 ppg. The Chargers were competitive against a tough schedule last season and could be in line for a return to Rupp. PRP is a bit down and Evangel Christian lost Malonga, but I still couldn’t give the nod to the defending champions over Western in these 6th-heavy rankings.

14. St. Xavier:
Senior leading scorer Nelson Williams (11.9) is gone, but the Tigers return their next four leaders in Chance Dillingham (11.8), Will Hanke (10.9), Jeremiah Jackson (8.9) and Graham Krezmien (8.5). Of the returnees, all were sophomores last season save Jackson, who was a freshman. Finishing at 18-14, the youngsters took their lumps against a loaded schedule and could be a dangerous squad in 2024.

15. DeSales:
I was able to see most of their game against Evangel Christian and liked what they were able to do against talent. While not blessed with the athleticism of many of their counterparts in the region, the Colts were skilled and looked able to space you out and make you guard them horizontally. With good spacing, willing passers, and kids who could make shots, they brought a lot to the table. The loss of Crew Gibson will leave a large void in the post, but Brady Cummins (13.3), Liberty commit William Gibson (11.6), and Julian Bunton (9.1) return from a team that shot 37.6% from three on the year.
16. Lexington Catholic:
Like Lyon County, the Knights are a known-commodity. The loss of 6’11 Reece Potter to the collegiate ranks will obviously hurt the Knights, but the silver lining is that they’ll likely be able to return to a more traditional style of their pressing, up-tempo play. Catholic returns plenty of production from Potter’s supporting cast and should feature a deep, senior-laden roster in 2024. Their feeders are always strong enough that you can expect that a few solid players will be turned out in even their weakest of cycles. A new face or two making their way onto the floor next season could push this team’s ranking even higher, as a playmaker who could shoulder the bulk of their scoring in one-on-one situations would likely yield exponential returns.

17. Covington Catholic:
Senior-to-be Brady Hussey (12.5) is the only returnee from the Colonel’s top seven scorers. The next highest returnee is Noah Johnson (2.4). I can’t imagine that the Colonels will be terrible-- they are one of the most consistent programs in the state and Ruthsatz is a superb coach. I’m guessing there’s a commitment to excellence throughout their feeders and that there’ll be a strong contingent from last year’s JV squad who just didn’t have the opportunity to shine last season while sitting behind so many seniors. If nothing else, a player could come into the program and make this ranking look even more ridiculous. But with the void left by Evan Ipsaro’s 25.2 ppg, the totality of production lost along with him, and an underwhelming finish to last season, I’m unsure of exactly how to justify a higher ranking at this point in time.

18. Warren Central:
Kade Unseld (16.1) is the only returnee who saw significant minutes on last year’s State Championship squad. Their next highest returning average is Braylon Boards’ 1.6 ppg. The Dragons are coming off two straight appearances in the State Final, and are one of the most recognizable programs in Kentucky over the past 25 years. With a deep pool of talent to choose from, they shouldn’t stay down for very long. I’m hesitant to rank them so high, but also don’t know who else I’d conclusively rank ahead of them. I feel that they’ll take some losses early while they find their way, but their system alone could keep them reasonably competitive in a heads-up game against any of the teams ranked near them by season’s end.

19. Ballard:
The Bruins began life after Chris Renner with a 26-5 record and were 13-2 against regional competition but lost a TON of production. Sam Frazier’s 10.5 ppg makes him the returning leading scorer after being third overall last season. Nate Richardson and his 4.8 ppg is the next highest returnee after coming in at seven prior. I’m sure that the Bruins are poised to reload and won’t stay down long in the event that they don’t. I initially felt that I didn’t have enough information to cement them in the top 25, then made my list and didn’t have each of those slots filled. This one is the toughest for me, because I won’t pretend to know what next year is going to look like for them, but I do know this—tradition doesn’t graduate and this is the premier program in Louisville. Bottom line: if you were asking me to rank a list of teams that I’d have to coach to a state title next season to win a million dollars, I don’t see 25 teams ahead of them.

20. Butler:
Leading scorers Dayton Williams (14.4) and Dontre Russell (10.4) return from last year’s 21-9 squad. The team lost their next four leaders in ppg, but also had some depth, with eight players scoring in their regional loss with what seemed to be their regular rotation. With an enrollment of 1,500+, there’ll be opportunities to find talent to supplement the losses and compete in a balanced 6th Region.
21. Harlan County:
Trent Noah is back for his senior season and will look to build on his 26.5 ppg average. The top player in the mountains is also one of the state’s best. Maddox Huff (16.9) and Jonah Swanner (9.3) also return. The Bears will miss the shooting of Daniel Carmicael, who shot 43.4% from 3 and made just under four triples per game last season, and will need to rebound from a disappointing loss to Corbin in the opening round of the regional tournament. While the ceiling might not be as high as others on this list, they are capable and shouldn’t be underestimated.

22. Collins:
The Titans had a strong sophomore and eighth grade class on last season’s 26-8 team. They lose last year’s leading scorer, but return three of their top five. Juniors-to-be Isaih Cochran and Cole Harbin are the top returnees. Incoming freshmen Kade Goodin and Caden Gaither saw varisty minutes as eighth graders, with Goodin being one of the aforementioned top five. Coach Chris Gaither has entrenched himself as a regional contender at a talent-rich school, and it could only be a matter of time before Collins is able to have a special season, but that may be a year or two away as Woodford County stands in the way.

23. Central Hardin:
The 19-14 Bruins didn’t set the world on fire last season, but were able to stay close to eventual champion Elizabethtown in the district final and contender LaRue County in the regional opener, losing both games by a combined 10 points. They're led by Liberty commit Brett Decker, and the senior is a one of the state’s top recruits. He averaged 23 of the team’s 68.7 ppg last season. Running mate Ace Jaggers (15.5) also returns.

24. Fairdale:
A Bulldogs team that was Junior-heavy last season will have their core back. Their ranking is due to their not having as an impressive of a win-loss record as some of their regional foes last season. Don’t let the record deceive you though, as the team lost no one to graduation and could be poised for a much better record in 2024. This squad ends the run of teams from the 6th occupying spots in the rankings.

25. Butler County:
The Bears went 22-11 against mostly in-region competition last season. Guard Ty Price dropped a cool 31.2 ppg as a sophomore. Most of their contributors last year were likewise sophomores and will return with another year of experience and maturity under their belt. This squad may be another season away from one of those special run by a non-traditional power that is a feel-good story, but with Owensboro, Owensboro Catholic, Apollo, and Muhlenburg County all trending down, the time may also be now.
Teams Also Considered (in Alphabetical Order):

Ashland Blazer:
The Tomcats proved that they were the class of the 16th in postseason play. They’ll miss DeBoard, Davis, and Conway, but do return leading scorer Zander Carter (22.2) and Asher Adkins (5.8). One of the state’s winningest programs, their tradition attracts players.

Boyd County:
The Lions return a bevy of production, led by Sophomore-to-be Jacob Spurlock’s 19.8 ppg, Junior-to-be Cole Hicks’ 17.8 ppg, and Senior-to-be Jason Ellis’ 12.2 ppg. Returning Juniors Rhett Anderson and Griffin Taylor barely missed a double figure average as well. I got to see the Lions on a few occasions and thought that they are a bit small and wanted to put up a lot of shots. If they’re on, that could spell trouble for some opponents, but if their shots aren’t falling, they’ll become mortal rather quickly unless things change on the defensive end.

Bryan Station:
Champ Ligon is back at the helm and his young Defenders squad took some lumps last season, limping to an 11-19 finish. They were led in scoring by freshman Omari Owens (15.2). Jaden Biggers (9.0) was lost to graduation, but returning are the next five contributors in ppg-- Felix De Los Santos (8.9), Daeveon Adams (7.9), Rashaad Faulkner (6.1), Ethan Dunn (5.9), and Taeshawn Adams (5.1). Ligon typically plays a deep rotation and has a history at Station. With one of the most talent-rich schools in the 11th, the wheels may already be in motion for a quick turnaround, especially with the likes of Henry Clay, Tates Creek, Lafayette, and Dunbar down.

Danville:
Return a decent clip from a high scoring team in 2023. With Pulaski County, Lincoln County, West Jessamine losing so much, they could gain some momentum against weaker competition in the 12th once any football players get in basketball shape. Probably a team whose ceiling is in the “Others Receiving Votes” category, but still intriguing.

Evangel Christian:
Losing Cyr Malonga to the college game will hurt the Eagles, but the cupboard isn’t bare. They return two of their top three in Seniors-to-be Christian Doerr and Killian Tilley. Johnny Djema and Ben Mukadi made valuable contributions over the past two years and will also return. Still, it’s tough for me to justify a higher ranking for the defending All A State Champions and 6th Region semi-finalist with the 6’11 Malonga now patrolling the paint for East Carolina.

George Rogers Clark:
It’s odd seeing a team whose last two seasons ended in a State Championship and State Runner-Up finish fall so far, but the Cards lost a lot. Gone are Jerone Morton, Trent Edwards, Sam Parrish, and Tyliek Maxwell. Senior-to-be Reshaun Hampton (11.8) will have to shoulder a huge load as the sole returning starter. The roster is worth keeping an eye on, as things could change. If nothing else, they should return a group of players who faced one of Kentucky’s most talented groups over the last decade daily in practice over the past two seasons.
Teams Also Considered (in Alphabetical Order):

Mason County:
A tradition rich program that doesn’t have the largest student body but usually finds a way to field a competitive team with a nice blend of skill and athleticism. They lose a lot to graduation, but played at least eight in most of their contests. The metrics on their returning production are a bit lower than others ahead of them. I can see them taking some lumps early before becoming a dangerous team that anyone not playing in Rupp will hope to draw away from come tournament time.

Martin County:
The Cardinals made it to Rupp and weren’t shy about stating that it was “a year ahead of schedule” in the media. They only lose departing senior Matthew Linville’s 5.8 ppg, but return their top five, including one of the mountain’s most talented senior trios. Luke Hale’s 20.3 ppg and dynamic guard Brayden McKenzie’s 15.2 ppg will pace them in the scoring column. Big man Jacob Sturgell led the team in rebounding at 6.2 per game and will again anchor the middle.

Murray:
Lose their leading scorer, but seem to have the most returning in the 1st. McCracken County loses their top three, Mayfield & Marshall County take some significant losses, and Paducah Tilghman seems to have more question marks than the Tigers. They lost nine games last season, but those were largely to respectable teams, save a rough patch against in-region competition early. I’ll look for them and Tilghman to be in the “others receiving votes” category of state polls until they’re able to prove otherwise.

Owensboro:
Rod Drake is a proven winner. With a talent rich student population and a program steeped in tradition, the Red Devils seem to find a way to reload even in the leanest of years. They’ll likely have to do just that next season, as they lost the bulk of their production. Sophomore-to-be Jonathan Moss’ 8.6 ppg will lead returnees. Senior-to-be Dayshawn Sanders is the only other returnee who saw action in Rupp. I’ll keep an eye on them in the 3rd by default, as Drake usually keeps a deep bench and the numbers indicate that last year was no different.

Owensboro Catholic:
Lost what was probably the region’s most dynamic player to graduation in Brian Griffith. Tim Riley knows a thing or two about winning, but he also loses his second leading scorer from a team that wasn’t the most physically gifted. He’ll return a handful of players who averaged between 10 and 2 points per game, but probably needs to hope for a new face or two in the starting lineup if he’s going to be an undisputed contender in a down 3rd Region.

Perry County Central:
I’ve tried to include at least one team from each region and the 14th is no different. Breathitt County returns Sperry but loses a lot. Hazard graduates a lot of production as well. The Commodores return their two leading scorers and most of their top seven from last year’s Sophomore-heavy group.

Scott County:
The Cardinals shocked the state by winning the 11th Region Tournament during the COVID shortened 2020 season, and did so despite the opening of Great Crossing. Since then, they’ve failed to advance to a regional semifinal and finished last season 11-22. Better days are likely ahead for the Cardinals and fans should be patient with Coach Glenn, who has the unenviable task of following a legend like Billy Hicks. At the same time, you get the feeling that the effects of Great Crossing’s opening are now more pronounced.

Wayne County:
Lose their second leading scorer (13.5 ppg) from last season but return the rest of their top five. Kendall Phillips (17.3), Seth Farmer (10.5), and Kayden Phillips (9.8) will provide the type of balance and skill that makes Rodney Woods’ teams click. They’ll be a bit young and very small, which should come to the surprise of absolutely no one, but will be one of the top teams in the 12th regardless. This is one of the higher-floor, lower-ceiling teams that you’ll see in the area.
(05-01-2023, 09:42 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]Teams Also Considered (in Alphabetical Order):

Ashland Blazer:
The Tomcats proved that they were the class of the 16th in postseason play. They’ll miss DeBoard, Davis, and Conway, but do return leading scorer Zander Carter (22.2) and Asher Adkins (5.8). One of the state’s winningest programs, their tradition attracts players.

Boyd County:
The Lions return a bevy of production, led by Sophomore-to-be Jacob Spurlock’s 19.8 ppg, Junior-to-be Cole Hicks’ 17.8 ppg, and Senior-to-be Jason Ellis’ 12.2 ppg. Returning Juniors Rhett Anderson and Griffin Taylor barely missed a double figure average as well. I got to see the Lions on a few occasions and thought that they are a bit small and wanted to put up a lot of shots. If they’re on, that could spell trouble for some opponents, but if their shots aren’t falling, they’ll become mortal rather quickly unless things change on the defensive end.

Bryan Station:
Champ Ligon is back at the helm and his young Defenders squad took some lumps last season, limping to an 11-19 finish. They were led in scoring by freshman Omari Owens (15.2). Jaden Biggers (9.0) was lost to graduation, but returning are the next five contributors in ppg-- Felix De Los Santos (8.9), Daeveon Adams (7.9), Rashaad Faulkner (6.1), Ethan Dunn (5.9), and Taeshawn Adams (5.1). Ligon typically plays a deep rotation and has a history at Station. With one of the most talent-rich schools in the 11th, the wheels may already be in motion for a quick turnaround, especially with the likes of Henry Clay, Tates Creek, Lafayette, and Dunbar down.

Danville:
Return a decent clip from a high scoring team in 2023. With Pulaski County, Lincoln County, West Jessamine losing so much, they could gain some momentum against weaker competition in the 12th once any football players get in basketball shape. Probably a team whose ceiling is in the “Others Receiving Votes” category, but still intriguing.

Evangel Christian:
Losing Cyr Malonga to the college game will hurt the Eagles, but the cupboard isn’t bare. They return two of their top three in Seniors-to-be Christian Doerr and Killian Tilley. Johnny Djema and Ben Mukadi made valuable contributions over the past two years and will also return. Still, it’s tough for me to justify a higher ranking for the defending All A State Champions and 6th Region semi-finalist with the 6’11 Malonga now patrolling the paint for East Carolina.

George Rogers Clark:
It’s odd seeing a team whose last two seasons ended in a State Championship and State Runner-Up finish fall so far, but the Cards lost a lot. Gone are Jerone Morton, Trent Edwards, Sam Parrish, and Tyliek Maxwell. Senior-to-be  Reshaun Hampton (11.8) will have to shoulder a huge load as the sole returning starter. The roster is worth keeping an eye on, as things could change. If nothing else, they should return a group of players who faced one of Kentucky’s most talented groups over the last decade daily in practice over the past two seasons.

You mentioned Ethan Dunn for Station… Been told he’s at Montgomery County now.
(05-01-2023, 12:05 PM)TribeTime Wrote: [ -> ]You mentioned Ethan Dunn for Station… Been told he’s at Montgomery County now.

Thanks for the info. That's likely the first of many changes that I'll later learn should have made.

What type of team should Montgomery County have next season? Looks like they were a bit younger last year and had two freshmen and a junior in their top three.
I know it's easy to pick out a few teams and say they should be higher
I see the 13th a lot and expect Harlan County to come into the year in the top 10. They finished sixth in the state in the RPI and played four or five state tournament teams, beating Male and losing by three to Lyon. I also expect Corbin to be in the top 20 with four starters returning.
(05-01-2023, 09:47 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]I know it's easy to pick out a few teams and say they should be higher
I see the 13th a lot and expect Harlan County to come into the year in the top 10. They finished sixth in the state in the RPI and played four or five state tournament teams, beating Male and losing by three to Lyon. I also expect Corbin to be in the top 20 with four starters returning.

Agree 100%. It was tough. I honestly moved teams up and down the list a few times. The whole point was to stir up some fun debate, so any response is appreciated.

The most objective measures that I had were returning scorers and last year's finish, so Harlan County was penalized because of the early exit-- in drafts I think I had them as high as #15. Another somewhat objective measure was the recruiting rankings of any players who'd be coming back, but that's far more subjective than the others. I didn't give credence to any rumors of transfers unless the player had already enrolled (and there were few of those that I feel I knew for certain).

My most subjective factor that was generally used was a program's history-- I'm not going to pretend to know how strong Warren Central, Ballard, George Rogers Clark, or Owensboro's JV squads were, but I think leaving any of them off could make anyone look like quite the fool in hindsight, especially when there were teams in the bottom five to seven who weren't very far above .500. If nothing else, there's an aura around those programs that would give them a puncher's chance against a team who hadn't been there before and many of the kids who can't log a ton of varsity minutes at Ballard as a junior would probably still be one of the key players for a Central Hardin, DeSales, or even Lyon County.

Corbin was one of the teams that I had on the list of "Also Considered" but it was becoming a novel and I had to remove a few. Biggest knock I had on the Hounds was the loss of Llewellyn's scoring. I do like Pietrowski and see him climbing the rankings of top players in the mountains as he matures, especially if he can polish up some of the skill aspects of his game.

Madison Central and Paducah Tilghman were a couple of the other teams that I took a look at but scratched for the sake of brevity (which obviously isn't my strong suit).
Potential transfers can drive you crazy. I never consider them until they are enrolled. Many of the rumors in the spring don't happen.
I agree that certain programs tend to reload quickly and I almost always keep them in the top five/six in my regional rankings no matter what they lose.
(05-01-2023, 10:28 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]Potential transfers can drive you crazy. I never consider them until they are enrolled. Many of the rumors in the spring don't happen.
I agree that certain programs tend to reload quickly and I almost always keep them in the top five/six in my regional rankings no matter what they lose.

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man! Wooohhhhoooo!"
A few very recent developments that will obviously have an effect on the above if they hold:

Woodford County's Jasper Johnson has been widely reported as enrolling at Link Academy.

Per Jason Frakes' Twitter, DuPont Manual's Damone King is playing summer ball with DeSales. This would be huge for the stock of both, as he brings an element that DeSales didn't really seem to have last season.

Montgomery County seems to be fairly open about expecting to have at least two additions from the 11th in Ethan Dunn and Tyce Simpson. Despite some relative youth, this team will probably end up being one of the biggest movers between the list above and what everyone else ends up going with in the fall.
There was plenty of movement and transfers since the original post (Western's Brandon Britt taking a college job, King & Jasper Johnson, etc.) but I'm wondering how consistent this was with the preseason lists that were released or will drop soon.
With the additions of the Reid boys from Bracken Co over to Mason Co the Royals aren’t going to drop in wins.  

Custard at Harrison Co is strong and I would think any combination of GRC, Mason, Harrison or Montgomery will come out of the 10th.
Link to the Courier Journal's Preseason Top 25. Mildly surprised to see their poll with Lyon County at #1, but that could be more reflective of the fact that almost all of the coaches polled ranked them somewhere in the top five or six .

We ended up with quite a few similarities, especially considering the dates that each of these lists were made. At first glance, I think there were seven differences between our actual top 25s (with most of those coming in the high teens and 20's). There were only two teams that they'd listed that I hadn't mentioned (Danville Christian & Washington County).

https://x.com/courierjournal/status/1724...02452?s=20
(11-18-2023, 06:42 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]Link to the Courier Journal's Preseason Top 25. Mildly surprised to see their poll with Lyon County at #1, but that could be more reflective of the fact that almost all of the coaches polled ranked them somewhere in the top five or six .

We ended up with quite a few similarities, especially considering the dates that each of these lists were made. At first glance, I think there were seven differences between our actual top 25s (with most of those coming in the high teens and 20's). There were only two teams that they'd listed that I hadn't mentioned (Danville Christian & Washington County).

https://x.com/courierjournal/status/1724...02452?s=20

What are the rankings exactly.   It wants me to pay to see it and I don't like the Journal that much.  Thanks and happy Thanksgiving