Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Carter County Schools is closer to consolidating East and West Carter High Schools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At the regular scheduled March board meeting the Carter Co. school board hired and an architect and construction manger for the purpose of building a new high school and a career and technical central. 
Long overdue for this county.

From athletic standpoint, I'd expect all sports to make a significant bump after the initial hurdles of consolidation.

They have a girls basketball (West) and boys baseball (East) state titles.
Where will the school go? I would imagine that whether it's in Olive Hill or Grayson, the other side will not be happy.
(04-12-2023, 02:55 PM)Explorer Wrote: [ -> ]Long overdue for this county.

From athletic standpoint, I'd expect all sports to make a significant bump after the initial hurdles of consolidation.

They have a girls basketball (West) and boys baseball (East) state titles.

(04-12-2023, 03:01 PM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]Where will the school go? I would imagine that whether it's in Olive Hill or Grayson, the other side will not be happy.

I think it will help all sports except for maybe football being they will maybe have to go all the way up to 5A.
It is currently looking like land is being bought that is pretty much right in the center of the county. If you are traveling on I-64 from Olive Hill to Grayson its about halfway between them.
I would be interested in consolidated school's success in football in the modern age. The only school that comes to my mind is Letcher Central, maybe Harlan County?
(04-12-2023, 08:16 PM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]I would be interested in consolidated school's success in football in the modern age. The only school that comes to my mind is Letcher Central, maybe Harlan County?

McCracken Co.
(04-12-2023, 08:16 PM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]I would be interested in consolidated school's success in football in the modern age. The only school that comes to my mind is Letcher Central, maybe Harlan County?
Muhlenberg County
22-23 Enrollments

East Carter: 727

West Carter: 525

Total: 1252. That would make them a 5A football school.
East and West have both enjoyed success in their respective football classes in the past few years including semi-final appearances by both schools. I don’t think their combination would have what it takes to compete with the upper tier 5A schools but I could see them having a moderately successful football program if they were combined.
Good for every sport but football.
The big thing besides being able to complete is the travel that will be required for 5A it will either be to Northern KY, far southern KY, or central KY.
(04-13-2023, 02:06 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]The big thing besides being able to complete is the travel that will be required for 5A it will either be to Northern KY, far southern KY, or central KY.
Idk when we became so concerned about travel. Years ago we traveled a lot further for district games. There’s nothing wrong with a road-trip and it’s not like you are making that long trip every year. Two years in a four year cycle. It’s not a big deal

(04-13-2023, 01:39 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]East and West have both enjoyed success in their respective football classes in the past few years including semi-final appearances by both schools.  I don’t think their combination would have what it takes to compete with the upper tier 5A schools but I could see them having a moderately successful football program if they were combined.
The only thing keeping them from being a very solid program is the administration. Will they actually be serious about finding a good coach or just give it to a good ol boy from Cater County? I personally believe to keep the animosity down in the county they need to hire a coach from another county. Like five counties over hahah
(04-13-2023, 02:06 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]The big thing besides being able to complete is the travel that will be required for 5A it will either be to Northern KY, far southern KY, or central KY.

2023 5A districts

7-Montgomery, East Jessamine, West Jessamine, Madison Southern

6-Boone County, Conner, Cooper, Dixie Heights, Highlands, Scott

Assuming the new school is done for 2025 re-alignment, I have no idea where they will be. 

Rowan was recently in in district with Holmes and Scott. So maybe they'd lean NKY schools.

(04-13-2023, 01:05 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]22-23 Enrollments

Total: 1252.  That would make them a 5A football school.

2022-2023 Audited School Enrollments (Boys only)
East- 387
West- 283
Total-670

527 is lowest 5A on recent boys average realignment. (Harlan County)
737 is highest (Dixie Heights)
I think you will see the new school become like Mercer county did. Not necessarily in success but in size. They will fluctuate between 4A and 5A.
No maybe about it   Smile
Harlan County won three regional 5A titles in the first 10 years or so. Not sure anyone in this part of the state had a quicker turnaround.

Letcher had success also, but I think won one region since opening.
Would the new school go with a current Carter County HC or go out of town?

How’s the middle school/youth league programs in the area?
(06-26-2023, 09:54 AM)AgentOrange Wrote: [ -> ]Would the new school go with a current Carter County HC or go out of town?

How’s the middle school/youth league programs in the area?
Probably stay in district. The middle school programs are in pretty good shape.
One thing no one has brought up that will be interesting is how the head coaching spots for the new school will shake out among the different sports.
(04-13-2023, 01:05 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]22-23 Enrollments

Total: 1252. That would make them a 5A football school.

That is what I have thought before they even had land.
(06-26-2023, 07:16 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote: [ -> ]

What district would they be in? There’s not another 5A program within 2 hours of Carter County
(06-26-2023, 08:09 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2023, 07:16 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote: [ -> ]

What district would they be in? There’s not another 5A program within 2 hours of Carter County

Now that I have no clue. I would be interested to learn that as well.
If it goes like the McCracken Co consolidation, better do some checking on which board members:
1) own land around the new school
2) own part of a sportsplex across the highway
3) own a lumber company
In terms of coaching in this circumstance, I could see them pulling a local coach out of retirement, someone with experience, ie Vanderhoof, Love, Hart, etc. Get them on board as the HC for 3-5 years to get things going and go from there. Champlain and Barker are both great coaches. But I don’t see them either one getting the HC spot unless one defers. Almost have to start fresh. Now I could see the new consolidated school keep one as an OC and the other a DC.