Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best Kentucky High School Football Player You Have Seen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(03-14-2023, 06:31 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2023, 10:48 AM)Diablo Wrote: [ -> ]Dennis Johnson best I’ve played against or seen.
I played pickup basketball against him, and "21"...bounced off him like a knat on a few plays.

(03-14-2023, 12:35 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]R.C. Thomas --- best lineman, meanest , most intimidating presence I ever saw on a football field. His life after football lived up to that on-field presence.
Which Corbin player that was recruited and signed with UK that killed his whole family and laid them out in the yard? A Corbin player that played with him told me he was maybe the toughest SOB he ever saw, but most have had some major brain trauma.

He was a Thomas. I'm a Thomas. You better watch what you say. lol
Tim Couch
Shaun Alexander
Derek Homer

Those 3 in the early 90’s were unreal
(03-14-2023, 10:48 AM)Diablo Wrote: [ -> ]Dennis Johnson best I’ve played against or seen.
I played pickup basketball against him, and "21"...bounced off him like a knat on a few plays.

(03-14-2023, 12:35 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]R.C. Thomas --- best lineman, meanest , most intimidating presence I ever saw on a football field. His life after football lived up to that on-field presence.
Which Corbin player that was recruited and signed with UK that killed his whole family and laid them out in the yard? A Corbin player that played with him told me he was maybe the toughest SOB he ever saw, but most have had some major brain trauma.

It was RC.  I had Art class with him. He would come to class drunk and some of us were afraid he would walk into class oneday and make a morbid and groteque art exhibit out of one of us.  He received a full scholarship to play at UK. Got kicked off the team first day of practice for fighting with, I believe it was, UK running back Rod Stewart.  Butchered his mother and cousin a few years later.  They were on display outside of the house, I believe, when police arrived.  Some say he must have had anger issues. I think I agree wih that assessment.  He was on every All-State team in '76.  Best linemen I ever saw play. I would have quit foootball before I would have ever agreed to block that SOB.  Every time I here the song "Exciteable Boy" by Waren Zevon I think of RC , for some reason. 

"He took little Suzie to the Junior Prom
Excitable boy, they all said
And he raped her and killed her, then he took her home
Well, he's just an excitable boy
After ten long years they let him out of the home
And he dug up her grave and built a cage with her bones
Well, he's just an excitable boy."

That described my classmate, RC.  Odd sort of guy . Great football player, though.  The best I ever saw at his position.
Couch Leslie
Dixon BHS
Howard BHS
Jones BHS
In Person Only

1. Tim Couch- Leslie County
2. Michael Bush- Male
3. Brian Brohm- Trinity
4. Dennis Johnson- Harrodsburg
5. Jared Lorenzen-Highlands

Just Missed: Jacob Tamme- Boyle County

Honorable Mention: Doug Howard (Belfry), David Jones (Belfry), Cole Bentley (Belfry), Austin Dotson (Belfry), Rayquan Horton (Belfry), Brandon Deaderick (Etown), John Rader (Breathitt County), Channing Fugate (Breathitt County), Justin Haddix (Breathitt County), Arliss Beach (Ashland), Michael West (Lawrence County), JJ Jude (Johnson Central), Derek Smith (Highlands), Ace Wales (Central), Bobby Leffew (Boyle County), Travis Leffew (Boyle County), Matt Quinn (Boyle County), Eddie Duramus (Pikeville), Brent Coleman (Pikeville), Steve Bailey (Pikeville) , Josh Gross (Russell), Kasey Clark (Russell), Adam Wulfeck (Beechwood), Kelvin Turner (Danville),

Additional Players I Watched Live But Not In Person That Would Be in The Top 10:
Isaac Dixon (Belfry), Michael Mayer (CovCath), WanDale Robinson (Western Hills), Grant Bingham (Johnson Central)

Best I Have Seen Live (Outside of KY)

Randy Moss- DuPont, WV
Robert Nkemdiche- Grayson, GA
Trevor Lawrence- Cartersville, GA
Brock Vandagriff- Prince Avenue Christian, GA

There is an underclassmen Lineman from St. Francis GA that is the son of former NY Giants RB Brandon Jacobs I saw play this year (think he has transferred to Buford now)and he would probably be the fifth on the list.. think he is only a Sophomore now... he was unstoppable... unbelievable physical specimen on both sides of the ball. Would be shocked if he isn't a 5* or NFL player once he gets older.

https://247sports.com/player/brayden-jacobs-46117665/
Lamar Dawson - Boyle County
(03-14-2023, 11:07 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

I've come a long way and learned to like you pjdoug. You're a true football man. Plus I KNOW all about how bad A the Thomas's are. My wife is one, and the toughest guy in our county, or family were the Thomas family. And it seems that isn't a coincidence across the state.

(03-15-2023, 01:29 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

It was RC.  I had Art class with him. He would come to class drunk and some of us were afraid he would walk into class oneday and make a morbid and groteque art exhibit out of one of us.  He received a full scholarship to play at UK. Got kicked off the team first day of practice for fighting with, I believe it was, UK running back Rod Stewart.  Butchered his mother and cousin a few years later.  They were on display outside of the house, I believe, when police arrived.  Some say he must have had anger issues. I think I agree wih that assessment.  He was on every All-State team in '76.  Best linemen I ever saw play. I would have quit foootball before I would have ever agreed to block that SOB.  Every time I here the song "Exciteable Boy" by Waren Zevon I think of RC , for some reason. 

That described my classmate, RC.  Odd sort of guy . Great football player, though.  The best I ever saw at his position.
That is crazy, so Old School Hound, I assume you were likely friends and teammates with the Franchinoni brothers?
(03-16-2023, 07:34 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]

I've come a long way and learned to like you pjdoug. You're a true football man. Plus I KNOW all about how bad A the Thomas's are. My wife is one, and the toughest guy in our county, or family were the Thomas family. And it seems that isn't a coincidence across the state.

That is crazy, so Old School Hound, I assume you were likely friends and teammates with the Franchinoni brothers?

The Franconi's were both good football players.  Another RC story.  I was going to my locker to put up my books one day when I heard someone yelling about a fight that had broken out in the school. Being the curious chap that I am I had to go check it out. Kinda wish I hadn't. It was particularly vicious and bloody. You guessed it... RC  and John Francioni, a big, big tough guy in his own right. RC beat him to a bloody pulp.  RC  was a monster --- a psychopath . I always went out of my way to be nice to him and he never directed even the slightest bit of meanness or aggression in my direction. Unfortunately, there were others who paid the ultimate price for his psycopathy.

In fact,  in 1976 , after Corbin had beaten district rival Middlesboro in a hotly contested game at Middlesboro , RC likely prevented me from being a stabbing victim. I was walking after the game with a smart-mouthed friend of mine who was taunting some Jacket fans . One of the guys pulled a knife on us and acted as though he was seriously intent on slicing us. RC came by at just the right time and , let's just  say , he sent him away in another direction. How's that for irony? Saved by RC Thomas from being stabbed. Life is weird...
If you watched him play almost everyone would have to say Tim Couch or at least have him near the top. Name another #1 pick in NFL draft. Anywhere but the Browns and we could have saw a nfl hall of fame player.
(03-13-2023, 08:39 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Tommy Greer...  no one is a close second.

Lol.. he was a decent baseball player..

I'm a gentle soul. I always say I ain't crazy, but I can get that way in a hurry Smile
(03-16-2023, 09:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

The Franconi's were both good football players.  Another RC story.  I was going to my locker to put up my books one day when I heard someone yelling about a fight that had broken out in the school. Being the curious chap that I am I had to go check it out. Kinda wish I hadn't. It was particularly vicious and bloody. You guessed it... RC  and John Francioni, a big, big tough guy in his own right. RC beat him to a bloody pulp.  RC  was a monster --- a psychopath . I always went out of my way to be nice to him and he never directed even the slightest bit of meanness or aggression in my direction. Unfortunately, there were others who paid the ultimate price for his psycopathy.

In fact,  in 1976 , after Corbin had beaten district rival Middlesboro in a hotly contested game at Middlesboro , RC likely prevented me from being a stabbing victim. I was walking after the game with a smart-mouthed friend of mine who was taunting some Jacket fans . One of the guys pulled a knife on us and acted as though he was seriously intent on slicing us. RC came by at just the right time and , let's just  say , he sent him away in another direction. How's that for irony? Saved by RC Thomas from being stabbed. Life is weird...
WOW!!! Richie Francioni told me the story of his brother and RC fighting. The way he told it no one (adults or kids) would even try to break it up. Richie said his brother was a wrestler. Richie was offensive lineman of the year his senior year. I worked with him when he was the SRO at our school, as well as when he retired as a police officer and was just earning extra money as our school's guard. But Richie said that RC was maybe the best player he ever saw, definitely played with. He also said his Corbin team only gave up like 40 points one of those years, the entire season, and they played the 4A champion that year as well. Defense was one of the best I've ever heard of in Kentucky. I know Richie started for Eastern at Nose as a freshman but he was offered by Louisville, but Louisville wasn't considered as good as Eastern back in those days.
(03-18-2023, 02:16 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2023, 06:31 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]I played pickup basketball against him, and "21"...bounced off him like a knat on a few plays.

(03-14-2023, 06:31 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]I played pickup basketball against him, and "21"...bounced off him like a knat on a few plays.

WOW!!! Richie Francioni told me the story of his brother and RC fighting. The way he told it no one (adults or kids) would even try to break it up. Richie said his brother was a wrestler. Richie was offensive lineman of the year his senior year. I worked with him when he was the SRO at our school, as well as when he retired as a police officer and was just earning extra money as our school's guard. But Richie said that RC was maybe the best player he ever saw, definitely played with. He also said his Corbin team only gave up like 40 points one of those years, the entire season, and they played the 4A champion that year as well. Defense was one of the best I've ever heard of in Kentucky. I know Richie started for Eastern at Nose as a freshman but he was offered by Louisville, but Louisville wasn't considered as good as Eastern back in those days.

Yep, that '76 team with RC Thomas, John Francioni, and those others guys were one of the best and certainly the most intimidating defense I ever saw. When your defense is anchored by a psychopath, you're gonna scare a lot of teams. In the championship game, Corbin shut out a Mayfield team that was averaging 40+ ppg.  The Corbin defensive line was HUGE and nasty.    I wouldn't have tried to break up that Thomas-Francioni fight for a million dollars because I would have died in the attempt and would have never been able to spend the money. Those two guys were as tough and mean as could be and one took his meanness to another level when he became a double murderer.
Tim Couch would be first by a pretty wide margin. Michael Bush is second.
(03-18-2023, 02:56 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-18-2023, 02:16 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2023, 11:07 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]He was a Thomas. I'm a Thomas. You better watch what you say. lol

(03-15-2023, 01:29 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]It was RC.  I had Art class with him. He would come to class drunk and some of us were afraid he would walk into class oneday and make a morbid and groteque art exhibit out of one of us.  He received a full scholarship to play at UK. Got kicked off the team first day of practice for fighting with, I believe it was, UK running back Rod Stewart.  Butchered his mother and cousin a few years later.  They were on display outside of the house, I believe, when police arrived.  Some say he must have had anger issues. I think I agree wih that assessment.  He was on every All-State team in '76.  Best linemen I ever saw play. I would have quit foootball before I would have ever agreed to block that SOB.  Every time I here the song "Exciteable Boy" by Waren Zevon I think of RC , for some reason. 

Yep, that '76 team with RC Thomas, John Francioni, and those others guys were one of the best and certainly the most intimidating defense I ever saw. When your defense is anchored by a psychopath, you're gonna scare a lot of teams. In the championship game, Corbin shut out a Mayfield team that was averaging 40+ ppg.  The Corbin defensive line was HUGE and nasty.    I wouldn't have tried to break up that Thomas-Francioni fight for a million dollars because I would have died in the attempt and would have never been able to spend the money. Those two guys were as tough and mean as could be and one took his meanness to another level when he became a double murderer.
100%! Both Franchioni boys became cops in Miami. Richie ended up in Casey as an officer for several years, then our school SRO, retired from the force and worked as our guard a year. He went on to be SRO over in Russell County another year or two and I heard has moved back to Miami. Richie still ran all the time and probably still benched around 300 pounds + at 60. I never got to meet his brother.
(03-14-2023, 08:17 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: [ -> ]Michael Mayer. Dominique Hayden. Walker Parks.
Did you watch Hayden’s older brother Tyrell play? I always thought he was the better of the two.
(03-19-2023, 07:49 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2023, 08:17 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: [ -> ]Michael Mayer. Dominique Hayden. Walker Parks.
Did you watch Hayden’s older brother Tyrell play? I always thought he was the better of the two.

I did not. But the D Train was a DUDE!
(03-19-2023, 08:25 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-19-2023, 07:49 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]

I did not. But the D Train was a DUDE!
They were both really good but different styles.  Tyrell was more shifty and had better speed.  Dominique was a tank and was a monster for defenses to tackle.  Both were great Kentucky high school football players!
In no particular Order
Jeff Duggins - Boyle County
Matt Quinn - Boyle County
Ben Kinley - Danville
Kente Bess - Danville
JJ Jude - Johnson Central
Arliss Beach
Jeremy Caudill
Gerad Parker
From Lawrence County- Michael West, Gerad Parker and there are many more from that early 90s and early 2000s.
Name just hit me.

Chase Gibson at Pikeville. Around 2000.
Random info but from google and more google. The dude has coached all over the place.

EKU
Tennessee
Cincy
UT Martin
Colorado State
(03-24-2023, 11:41 AM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: [ -> ]From Lawrence County- Michael West, Gerad Parker and there are many more from that early 90s and early 2000s.

Michael West was fun to watch if he hadn't been running  over my Colonels in the playoffs.
Michael Mayer I watched him the 2019 5A State Championship from the sidelines he was a man among boys and was one time when 1 guy actually controlled and won the football game and Douglass had some very good players as well 4 that now start for power 5 conference teams.
I was younger and really couldn’t appreciate what I was witnessing with Tim Couch.

Mike Bush-I was in awe of his ability to make plays against the best competition.
I saw Patrick Towles score 5 touchdowns in the first half against what was supposed to be one of the more athletic Christian County teams. He's up there for sure.
1. Tim Couch
2. Jared Lorenzan
Joe Casey from Paducah Tilghman 6,333 yards 88 TDS, second to Adrian Peterson
(04-12-2023, 02:51 PM)Spinado Wrote: [ -> ]Joe Casey from Paducah Tilghman 6,333 yards 88 TDS, second to Adrian Peterson
Tim Honaker Pikeville OT/DT/LB class of 1989. The young man was a monster on the field that was key in helping his team to two of it's first three state championships.
1- Dennis Johnson- Hburg
2- Chester Ford- Danville
3-Mike Bush-Male
Pages: 1 2 3