Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Should a team not let transfers play?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was reading the Rockcastle thread and it has gotten off topic with some good comments and I think this one deserves its own thread. 

Knovillesfinest wrote If Corbin picks up this. If Corbin picks up that. At what point is it not even a championship for Corbin? Hell, Mccreary could take in 30 transfers and win a title but it’ll mean nothing. Those guys didn’t grow up there, won’t stay there when done, may not even stay to graduate and just go back after the season.

This is glorified AAU ball. Win with what you got.
Same goes for everyone. Boyle included

Should a team play with what you got and not use the transfers? 
(03-08-2023, 02:44 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]I was reading the Rockcastle thread and it has gotten off topic with some good comments and I think this one deserves its own thread. 

Knovillesfinest wrote If Corbin picks up this. If Corbin picks up that. At what point is it not even a championship for Corbin? Hell, Mccreary could take in 30 transfers and win a title but it’ll mean nothing. Those guys didn’t grow up there, won’t stay there when done, may not even stay to graduate and just go back after the season.

What program(s) does this on a consistent basis? Wink Do you mean bring in a player(s) for football season only, offer them an apartment then leave after that semester to go back to their original school to graduate? Or using bogus or not bonafide move or address?
(03-08-2023, 02:44 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]I was reading the Rockcastle thread and it has gotten off topic with some good comments and I think this one deserves its own thread. 

Interesting topic, shots fired lol. Probably against the law/rules to not let transfers play if actually, moved in the district.  I wonder other than the Louisville schools, and the Catholic schools which we no most of their kids are from different areas. How many teams Football or Basketball have won a State Championship that didn't have a kid out of District, or moved in from another County? Not saying anything wrong with it just curious. I venture to say not many at all in the last 10+years.

Should a team play with what you got and not use the transfers?As 
As a coach your goal is to win. If you have holes on your roster your goal should be to fill them with better players. 

For example if Billy Joe from down the street is playing left tackle for you and you know he can't block worth a lick. It shouldn't matter whether he's grown up there or not. You should try to improve your team in anyway you can and you can't fault those programs for trying to improve. 

He mentioned the championship won't mean nothing i don't agree with that. It still means something regardless, it's still not an easy task. 

I can see it meaning more though if you're not looking at it from a coaching perspective. Having a group of home grown kids get over the hump and win a state championship would mean a whole lot but you may be waiting a lifetime for that to happen. Especially when other teams they'll be facing will be recruiting.
(03-08-2023, 03:15 PM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: [ -> ]

What program(s) does this on a consistent basis? Wink Do you mean bring in a player(s) for football season only, offer them an apartment then leave after that semester to go back to their original school to graduate? Or using bogus or not bonafide move or address?

I'll say this much, if a kid that is a transfer comes to your program and is the better athlete at the position, then if you don't use the athlete, then you probably are a polical coach. You read this statement just like I do. I think from what I get from it is he is meaning programs that get transfers need to start winning with there own players. So I guess what he would mean is that if you are winning with transfers you are considered a glorified AAU team at the highschool level. Here is where I stand on the issue. If I could make it happen, every kid would be entitled to transfer when that family feels they need to make the move. No address change period and no limit on the amount of times transferred. I fully support any kid who wants to transfer for any reason. Coaches are not loyal, they get paid. They move around to other programs because of money or self reasons. Why can't a kid? Kids dont' get paid.
My stance on this has changed a lot in the last couple years. I played in the late 80's into the 90's and there were a few players who transferred back then, but nothing to the extend that goes on today.  I miss those days, and I wish players didn't transfer, but times have changed.  When you think about it, who can blame transfers?  A player needs to lookout for themselves and his\her family.  If his\her current school doesn't care enough about them to invest in a good coach and good facilities, why should the player not go elsewhere?  

So the bottom line is, if you want to win, you better play the transfer game.

This is a bad take.
(03-08-2023, 05:36 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]My stance on this has changed a lot in the last couple years. I played in the late 80's into the 90's and there were a few players who transferred back then, but nothing to the extend that goes on today.  I miss those days, and I wish players didn't transfer, but times have changed.  When you think about it, who can blame transfers?  A player needs to lookout for themselves and his\her family.  If his\her current school doesn't care enough about them to invest in a good coach and good facilities, why should the player not go elsewhere?  

So the bottom line is, if you want to win, you better play the transfer game.

This is a good take.
(03-08-2023, 04:48 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]

I'll say this much, if a kid that is a transfer comes to your program and is the better athlete at the position, then if you don't use the athlete, then you probably are a polical coach. You read this statement just like I do. I think from what I get from it is he is meaning programs that get transfers need to start winning with there own players. So I guess what he would mean is that if you are winning with transfers you are considered a glorified AAU team at the highschool level. Here is where I stand on the issue. If I could make it happen, every kid would be entitled to transfer when that family feels they need to make the move. No address change period and no limit on the amount of times transferred. I fully support any kid who wants to transfer for any reason. Coaches are not loyal, they get paid. They move around to other programs because of money or self reasons. Why can't a kid? Kids dont' get paid.

I fully agree with this but for one reason.  It's against KHSAA rules.  If you want this atmosphere in high school ball, then change the rules.

However, since KHSAA picks and chooses the rules they enforce, it's probably worth taking a chance.

And I DO agree that it reduces the win if you have cherry picked your team rather than play the kids who are local.  I'm old.
(03-08-2023, 06:44 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]

I fully agree with this but for one reason.  It's against KHSAA rules.  If you want this atmosphere in high school ball, then change the rules.

However, since KHSAA picks and chooses the rules they enforce, it's probably worth taking a chance.

And I DO agree that it reduces the win if you have cherry picked your team rather than play the kids who are local.  I'm old.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvfCFXE8DX3WSej2_FR5V...w&usqp=CAU]
High School sports is not a business like college and pro. If a kid in Berea wants to make the drive to Somerset, Corbin, or hell Paducah every morning, that should be their right. It’s high school sports for goodness sake. People try to act like it’s the be all end all when it’s not.

Sometimes kids have no other way to get to college than through sports. So if said kid at Lynn Camp or Pineville (schools that usually don’t get recruited) wants to transfer to Corbin because they’ll get recruited, good luck young man.
(03-08-2023, 08:05 PM)Corbin Wrote: [ -> ]High School sports is not a business like college and pro. If a kid in Berea wants to make the drive to Somerset, Corbin, or hell Paducah every morning, that should be their right. It’s high school sports for goodness sake. People try to act like it’s the be all end all when it’s not.

Sometimes kids have no other way to get to college than through sports. So if said kid at Lynn Camp or Pineville (schools that usually don’t get recruited) wants to transfer to Corbin because they’ll get recruited, good luck young man.
Agree with Corbin. My parents told me I was a athlete/student because that's the only way I could afford college was through sports. Wasn't a great student but I was a pretty good athlete and luckily it worked out for me. I'm old school, I don't like all of this moving around schools but I get it. Reminds me of LeBron James.
Those who don't like a kid transferring, should talk to some of the families of the kids who have transferred for themselves and hear the real story. You would be surprised what has taken place. Some forget that even the big name schools lose transfers too. Its not always gaining. They lose kids as well.
In all these threads about transfers we never talk about why kid’s transfers. I know it’s for the chance to win but if the school they transferred from was better there would be no need to transfer. What I’m getting at is this. Football as a whole in this state is pretty bad. We don’t have enough quality programs for the better athletes to show their skills. Idk the answer or how to fix it but….if my boy had a chance at getting his college paid for don’t think for one minute I wouldn’t take him to a better program to achieve it. If we had better competition across the state you wouldn’t see as many transfers.
(03-08-2023, 07:43 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2023, 06:44 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvfCFXE8DX3WSej2_FR5V...w&usqp=CAU]
What is against the rules? Dang OSH hope you finally figured out the no dunking in warmups rule before you try to tackle this one lol.....
This is crazy. These are kids we are talking about. Parents should be able to take their kids where they want to. Schools should have the right to refuse/accept students that live out of district zones. Schools should have the right to set their own transfer guidelines. As long as they are consistent, there’s no issue. People complaining about kids transferring are likely parents who have kids that are directly affected by transfers. Same people who are directly affected by hold backs.

I for one, am a parent of not one but three children who have been, or will be, affected by both hold backs and transfers. “It’s not fair”, “they aren’t homegrown”, “they got recruited”…I’m sorry but that’s the world we live in. Should kids get a fair shake because they are kids? YUP. But imo, by the 7th grade, they have to start learning how the world works.

I am a general contractor. There are countless companies in my area doing exactly what I do. If someone approaches me about a job, if their resume checks out, I want them. Idc if it’s someone that may be a better carpentry than I am. Because success breeds success. The best and brightest want the best and brightest along side them. It’s how the world works.

I think the school should have the right to sit or grant eligibility to any transfer they receive as long as there is no transfer of funds, providing living/jobs to parents, or overlooking poor reviews from a previous school.
When the transfer issue became the most hotly disputed, it had nothing to do with what was best for the kids, but everything to do with almighty dollar. As usual.

Schools would contest transfers because the money that was funded by the state would follow them; consequently, the outcry from the school losing the student. KHSAA put the current rules/regulation in place to try and control how much money would bleed from one school to the next. Then the athletic talent became a second big issue. When a school became strong in one sport or the other, kids would funnel toward that institution.
(03-09-2023, 08:46 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]This is crazy. These are kids we are talking about. Parents should be able to take their kids where they want to. Schools should have the right to refuse/accept students that live out of district zones. Schools should have the right to set their own transfer guidelines. As long as they are consistent, there’s no issue. People complaining about kids transferring are likely parents who have kids that are directly affected by transfers. Same people who are directly affected by hold backs.

I for one, am a parent of not one but three children who have been, or will be, affected by both hold backs and transfers. “It’s not fair”, “they aren’t homegrown”, “they got recruited”…I’m sorry but that’s the world we live in. Should kids get a fair shake because they are kids? YUP. But imo, by the 7th grade, they have to start learning how the world works.

I am a general contractor. There are countless companies in my area doing exactly what I do. If someone approaches me about a job, if their resume checks out, I want them. Idc if it’s someone that may be a better carpentry than I am. Because success breeds success. The best and brightest want the best and brightest along side them. It’s how the world works.

I think the school should have the right to sit or grant eligibility to any transfer they receive as long as there is no transfer of funds, providing living/jobs to parents, or overlooking poor reviews from a previous school.

I agree with everything you said except perhaps the very last few words.  Sometimes kids might need a fresh start at a new school.  Just because they had poor reviews at a previous school shouldn’t stop another school from taking them.  As you said, these are kids we are talking about.
(03-09-2023, 09:21 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]When the transfer issue became the most hotly disputed, it had nothing to do with what was best for the kids, but everything to do with almighty dollar.  As usual.

Schools would contest transfers because the money that was funded by the state would follow them; consequently, the outcry from the school losing the student.  KHSAA put the current rules/regulation in place to try and control how much money would bleed from one school to the next.  Then the athletic talent became a second big issue.  When a school became strong in one sport or the other, kids would funnel toward that institution.

I dont buy this for one second.  Schools have 20X plus the number of non athlete transfers out of a district for every 1 athlete transfer.  I dont see griping about little suzzie c plus that left?
Dumbest thread yet
(03-11-2023, 01:01 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]Dumbest thread yet

It got a dumb comment at least out of you!  Smile
I think kids should transfer any time they want.
Diablo have you ever coached on the high school level? If so, why would you want a kid to transfer a month prior to playoffs.
Sometimes people have to move. Can’t pick and choose when it comes to life.
To me it’s just a parent shopping their kids around and kids not getting their way. I say go back to the old way and have to sit a year no matter what. Unless you move to another county. Seen so many kids transferring to play sports but transfer back to graduate..
I can’t keep from sayin this.

Kids don’t come to Corbin to get recruited. Only one getting courted is Tom. Tom has shown what he does to college potential.
There’s a bunch of places like that Highviz. Not just just Houndville. A lot of hidden political agendas going on in these school districts. I think a kid should be able to transfer at least one time a year. Only really get 4 years to truly enjoy your life to the fullest, what’s wrong with going to school where you are wanted or going to a place to better yourself. A lot of unseen circumstances people don’t see. Playing sports really isn’t that big of a deal. May be during those 4 years but when you walk through that graduation line, life smacks you right in the face.
I am all for changing the rules to allow full school choice for any reason, including sports. I am also all for punishing schools and individuals who violate the transfer rules that are currently in place. When I see certain teams filling key losses to graduation year after year, then I assume that there is some illegal recruiting afoot. I have zero respect for the schools and coaches that I suspect are cheating. I am not going to accuse anybody of cheating unless their is some hard evidence to support my suspicions, but you will not see me congratulating teams for winning games and titles that rely heavily on transfers.

And by relying heavily on transfers, I am not necessarily talking about numbers. One or two D1 recruits can transform a good team into a championship team and eliminate the need for teams to rebuild.
(03-11-2023, 10:38 PM)HighViz Wrote: [ -> ]I can’t keep from sayin this. 

Kids don’t come to Corbin to get recruited.  Only one getting courted is Tom.  Tom has shown what he does to college potential.

Corbin has become the place D1 talent comes to die… What this coaching staff done to several members of this Senior class was abhorrent.  No reason at all Brody Wells should not have been performing the way he did in the playoffs every game for the last 3 years and I wont even start on snubbing him from any post season awards etc…
(03-12-2023, 11:25 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]I am all for changing the rules to allow full school choice for any reason, including sports. I am also all for punishing schools and individuals who violate the transfer rules that are currently in place. When I see certain teams filling key losses to graduation year after year, then I assume that there is some illegal recruiting afoot. I have zero respect for the schools and coaches that I suspect are cheating. I am not going to accuse anybody of cheating unless their is some hard evidence to support my suspicions, but you will not see me congratulating teams for winning games and titles that rely heavily on transfers.

And by relying heavily on transfers, I am not necessarily talking about numbers. One or two D1 recruits can transform a good team into a championship team and eliminate the need for teams to rebuild.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(03-12-2023, 02:10 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2023, 11:25 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]I am all for changing the rules to allow full school choice for any reason, including sports. I am also all for punishing schools and individuals who violate the transfer rules that are currently in place. When I see certain teams filling key losses to graduation year after year, then I assume that there is some illegal recruiting afoot. I have zero respect for the schools and coaches that I suspect are cheating. I am not going to accuse anybody of cheating unless their is some hard evidence to support my suspicions, but you will not see me congratulating teams for winning games and titles that rely heavily on transfers.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
What do you find funny about not making allegations without evidence? Obviously, you apply a different standard, but most of us don't make allegations without any evidence. The Matt Gaetz thread in the Politics forum is a great example of people making baseless allegations because of wishful thinking.  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Pages: 1 2