Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Three Eastern Kentucky Teams Make Courier-Journal Top 25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

uk96

Three East Ky teams made CJ Top 25 released today...
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.../711180437

#12 June Buchanan
#16 Elliot County
#22 Rose Hill

Congrats to these teams ... You can go on Courier journal website for full list...
That list is full of Poop
I think those teams should be ranked but the fact that JBS is ranked 12th kind of makes it a joke in my opinion.
Good luck to all mt teams!
Top 25 players ranking has JBS's Clark Stepp at #5, and Paintsville's Landon Slone #16.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs...6/SPORTS07
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:That list is full of Poop

LOL
blackcat_student Wrote:Top 25 players ranking has JBS's Clark Stepp at #5, and Paintsville's Landon Slone #16.

Just my opinion but Stepp is a tad high, and I think Slone is better than him.
Here is their breakdown of each region's top teams and player rankings.
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.../711180439
That is flat out bogus. Don't get me wrong Stepp is a great player, but Landon is a lot more fundamentally sounds than Clark is. Landon knows what to do in the pressure moments, hes a student of the game and does the little things that matter the most to a team.

blackcat_student Wrote:Top 25 players ranking has JBS's Clark Stepp at #5, and Paintsville's Landon Slone #16.

In my opinion, preseason rankings are always off. The rankings that come out in the end of Feb. or the beginning of March are the ones that are important. Preseason rankings just put a target on some teams back.

uk96

alfus21 Wrote:I think those teams should be ranked but the fact that JBS is ranked 12th kind of makes it a joke in my opinion.

I guess a team from East Ky should not be ranked at all in your opinion. If you think that JBS should not be ranked then you do not know anything about basketball. Go ask Bryan Station and Madison Centrals coaches who just played JBS and see how they feel. Also this poll was done by the coaches....but you are right that everyone has their opinion.

uk96

-STATS- Wrote:That is flat out bogus. Don't get me wrong Stepp is a great player, but Landon is a lot more fundamentally sounds than Clark is. Landon knows what to do in the pressure moments, hes a student of the game and does the little things that matter the most to a team.

This was a thread on Top 25 teams not players so lets just comment on the teams and not make this a Stepp thread...
uk96 Wrote:I guess a team from East Ky should not be ranked at all in your opinion. If you think that JBS should not be ranked then you do not know anything about basketball..

Read the post next time buddy. I'll put it here for you again..

alfus21 Wrote:I think those teams should be ranked but.....

I just thought they were ranked too high. Please don't jump to conclusions next time.

uk96

BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:In my opinion, preseason rankings are always off. The rankings that come out in the end of Feb. or the beginning of March are the ones that are important. Preseason rankings just put a target on some teams back.

I wonder if they would have been off if Pikeville would have been on the list?????

uk96

alfus21 Wrote:Read the post next time buddy. I'll put it here for you again..

I just thought they were ranked too high. Please don't jump to conclusions next time.

I am not jumping to conclusions just dont write that it is a joke that they are ranked 12th.. I dont see how it is a joke...I dont see a team in front of them that they cant beat....They bring the same team back from last year and have gotten bigger and stronger and much better since last year.
uk96 Wrote:I wonder if they would have been off if Pikeville would have been on the list?????

He never mentioned anything about any specific team especially Pikeville so please stay on topic.
uk96 Wrote:I am not jumping to conclusions just dont write that it is a joke that they are ranked 12th.. I dont see how it is a joke...I dont see a team in front of them that they cant beat....They bring the same team back from last year and have gotten bigger and stronger and much better since last year.

Bryan Station beat them without players who were out because of football just the other day. :confused: They didn't do anything last year to warrant them as the #12 team ranking this year. They didn't win a game at state last season to prove it when it mattered. Like you said, just my opinion but I'm sure I share it with many outside of Pippa Passes.

uk96

alfus21 Wrote:Bryan Station beat them without players who were out because of football just the other day. :confused: They didn't do anything last year to warrant them as the #12 team ranking this year. They didn't win a game at state last season to prove it when it mattered. Like you said, just my opinion but I'm sure I share it with many outside of Pippa Passes.
It is apparently not shared with the coaches across the state who watched them play Scott to a last second shot this summer with Mackey and alot of other games too numerous to mention. I just posted this to try to give some east Ky teams some exposure not to start anything.
yea i think some of this is bogus
I didn't think the Courier Journal knew where Eastern Kentucky was? How are they supposed to write about our youngsters when they don't even recognize that we exist?
uk96 Wrote:I am not jumping to conclusions just dont write that it is a joke that they are ranked 12th.. I dont see how it is a joke...I dont see a team in front of them that they cant beat....They bring the same team back from last year and have gotten bigger and stronger and much better since last year.

It's a joke, until they get into season play and beat some quality teams then I'll be a believer....however I think just getting the respect of coaches around the state is good for them.
I really dont see anything wrong with the rankings. All preseason rankings are not accurate but I think Madisonville-North Hopkins could be possibly moved up a little bit.
JBS just beat Madison Central this past Sat and they are in the top ten.
i think in my opinion that clark stepp is a joke himself.... there is no possible way he is better than landon slone or any other players that were mentioned below him.....
HotSauce32 Wrote:i think in my opinion that clark stepp is a joke himself.... there is no possible way he is better than landon slone or any other players that were mentioned below him.....
The particular player from June Buchannan did lead his team to a Sweet 16 birth, the other player has never been able to lead his team past a first round regional loss. Perhaps something to consider.
kj52 Wrote:JBS just beat Madison Central this past Sat and they are in the top ten.

It's still preseason....maybe Madison Central wasn't playing their best players (some may be involved with football). JBS doesn't field a football team and can afford to play basketball year round. The win is great, but all I'm saying is wait and let all the teams be at full strength and play....then see who wins. Until then, I think the pre-season rankings and stuff don't say a whole lot.

What about the two Sr. that graduated?
I dont think that Clark Stepp should be in the top 25 players in the state. I think that he might be in the top 50 players and that would be a stretch.
badbones1298 Wrote:I dont think that Clark Stepp should be in the top 25 players in the state. I think that he might be in the top 50 players and that would be a stretch.
Like it or not, Clark Stepp led his team to Rupp last year and they have everyone back this year. So, you have to put JBS up there in the rankings. Also, Stepp has to be rated ahead of Slone because he got his team to Rupp while Slone's team has never won a game in the regional tournament....in three years!! People look at that kind of stuff!!
uk96 Wrote:I wonder if they would have been off if Pikeville would have been on the list?????
Actually, if Pikeville would have been listed in the top 25 in the state, it would have made it more unbelievable than it is. I am not saying it is wrong or anything, but how many times is the last rankings in the season the same as the first preseason rankings? This may come as a shocker to a lot of people, but if any team from this region that should be in the top 25, it would be Shelby Valley. After all, they went all season without a loss to a 15th region team. Not many schools can make that claim.
Pages: 1 2