Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan vs North Laurel 03/01/23 ( First Round )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Harlan 24-7
North Laurel 22-10
North Laurel
Coach Akai better get off the bench in this one early or………….. a long night to a great season……Just saying

North Laurel 85
Harlan 55
(02-25-2023, 11:11 PM)64SUR Wrote: [ -> ]Coach Akai better get off the bench in this one early or………….. a long night to a great season……Just saying

North Laurel 85
Harlan 55
My eyesight is terrible. I meant Harlan 65
”update Alert “”
 North Laurel 85
 Harlan 65
Last they said he intimidated the officials when he was up coaching now he sits and does it does it really matter since most of your coaching is done in practice. Seems like they going to criticize him no matter what he does.
Harlan is plenty capable in this game. If they get back to hitting threes at the rate they were a month ago and get North out in transition, not only can they win. They will win. North is an athletic team that can play in transition too but when Harlan turns into “Dunk City Dragons”’not many can match their athleticism.

I’m not saying that Harlan is a better team by any stretch. Sheppard and Davidson are your two best players but Harlan has some kids that aren’t too far behind. I just think the matchup can favor Harlan but things will have to be clicking on all cylinders for that to be.

If I were Akal, id have them attacking the rim early and often to make a statement and maybe draw some early fouls.

If things click,

Harlan 79
North 75

If things are played more structured

North 72
Harlan 58
(02-26-2023, 05:57 PM)Real baller Wrote: [ -> ]Last they said he intimidated the officials when he was up coaching now he sits and does it does it really matter since most of your coaching is done in practice. Seems like they going to criticize him no matter what he does.

I'm sure he has experienced a lifetime of such sh!t .  No one intimidated officials like that big, white ogre that stalked the sidelines in Manchester for decdes.   Coach Akal could let a fart on the bench and get a double technical.
I don't know this for a fact, this is just an observation.

But Harlan Independent appears to me to not have very much structure. It's rare to see a play called or a point guard commanding the floor. If they can't have a wide open lay-up, then they will back it out a shoot a three pointer. That kind of basketball worked great for them in the first part of the season because they were hitting their three point shots in the 60-70% range. If they shoot like that, they will win the district. But here lately, their shooting percentage has declined and their turnovers increased.

Like most teams, it just depends on who shows up. If HI are hitting their threes, they will run anybody out of the gym.
(02-26-2023, 08:59 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know this for a fact, this is just an observation.

But Harlan Independent appears to me to not have very much structure.  It's rare to see a play called or a point guard commanding the floor.  If they can't have a wide open lay-up, then they will back it out a shoot a three pointer.  That kind of basketball worked great for them in the first part of the season because they were hitting their three point shots in the 60-70% range.  If they shoot like that, they will win the district.  But here lately, their shooting percentage has declined and their turnovers increased.

Like most teams, it just depends on who shows up.  If HI are hitting their threes, they will run anybody out of the gym.
Exactly! They play that modern free for all hall that you’re starting to see take over the NBA and NCAA. I’m not a fan of that lack of structure style but I admit when things are clicking, it can be a thing of beauty like in the NBA and major college. It’s just harder at the lower levels because it takes a lot of talent across the roster to be really successful. Teams can either live or die by that style.
(02-26-2023, 09:21 PM)Corbin Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2023, 08:59 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know this for a fact, this is just an observation.

But Harlan Independent appears to me to not have very much structure.  It's rare to see a play called or a point guard commanding the floor.  If they can't have a wide open lay-up, then they will back it out a shoot a three pointer.  That kind of basketball worked great for them in the first part of the season because they were hitting their three point shots in the 60-70% range.  If they shoot like that, they will win the district.  But here lately, their shooting percentage has declined and their turnovers increased.

Like most teams, it just depends on who shows up.  If HI are hitting their threes, they will run anybody out of the gym.
Exactly! They play that modern free for all hall that you’re starting to see take over the NBA and NCAA. I’m not a fan of that lack of structure style but I admit when things are clicking, it can be a thing of beauty like in the NBA and major college. It’s just harder at the lower levels because it takes a lot of talent across the roster to be really successful. Teams can either live or die by that style.

The NBA has data analytics teams who can tell you a second string player's shooting percentage from any zone on the floor when they take more than two dribbles with their non-dominant hand, so I don't know if that's the best example of "free for all ball". It may look like it's being played at an extremely quick pace to a viewer, but the team of Ivy Leaguers informing decisions on who to force where probably have a little better handle on things than we do.

100% agree that the disparity in talent is the biggest barrier to effectively implementing a pro style offense at lower levels though.
(02-26-2023, 10:48 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2023, 09:21 PM)Corbin Wrote: [ -> ]

The NBA has data analytics teams who can tell you a second string player's shooting percentage from any zone on the floor when they take more than two dribbles with their non-dominant hand, so I don't know if that's the best example of "free for all ball". It may look like it's being played at an extremely quick pace to a viewer, but the team of Ivy Leaguers informing decisions on who to force where probably have a little better handle on things than we do.

100% agree that the disparity in talent is the biggest barrier to effectively implementing a pro style offense at lower levels though.
You’re right about the nba. The style is free for all but every player knows their role. We’re talking the best of the best and they can turn what people run at Rucker Park into a structured style.
If u don’t think they called plays u must not of watched the district tournament

Plays don’t really matter u got to make shots. U can run a play and miss the shot u. It’s a miss or make league

Another reason Harlan was good earlier in the season bc they was playing in Different regions and didn’t have the 13th region officials who officiated them differently the everyone else in the 13th