Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2023 Frederick Douglass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes as of know they are only going to play 9 games. There is no rule requiring you to play 10 games. While only playing 9 games I think even those out there that are not big Frederick Douglass fans will have to admit it is a pretty tough schedule. I think the coaches and administration at Douglass have done a very good job since the restrictions that had been placed on them for their first 6 years by the FCPS. Their two scrimmages this year is against South Oldham and 6A power St. X who they scrimmaged last season as well.

They are playing two big time programs from Ohio and Indiana. They will play Akron Hoban to open the season, which is a 300 mile trip one way. They were ranked #57 nationally last season and have won 4 state titles in their class in the last 10 years and I believe lost in the finals in two others. The game is being played at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium in Massillon, OH. Their 2nd game is also on the road to play Trinity at Marshall Stadium everyone knows that Trinity is in the hunt almost every season and have won 4 of the last 10 6A titles in Kentucky. The 3rd game of the season should be a little bit of a breather especially after their first two games. They will have their first home game vs. Tates Creek. I personally give Tates Creek credit FD offered to continue to play any of the other 4 Lexington schools who wanted to play since they are in the same district as Bryan Station and Tates Creek was the only one of those 4 who still wanted to play. Their 4th game of the season is on the road again to Corbin a state power year in and year out who lost to Boyle in last years 4A title game. The 5th game is a home game against Indiana powerhouse Cathedral Indianapolis they have won 5 state titles in the last 10 years. I also know in 2019 when Trinity won the 6A state title they defeated Trinity 28-7 that year.
The next part of the season the Broncos begin district with a home game vs. Madison Central for their 6th game. The 7th game is a 3 mile road game against Bryan Station which should be for the district title and also a chance to stop the Broncos undefeated streak vs all schools in Lexington public or private. The Defenders made it to the 6A semifinals last season. The 8th and final district game will be a home game vs George Rogers Clark. This should be a game that the Broncos should win. Unless another game is added which I don't think will happen Frederick Douglass will close out the regular season on Oct. 27 with a home game against 4A super power Boyle Co. I'm very glad to see these two great programs continue to play each other after their first two year contract. I think this is by far the best schedule that the Broncos have had in the previous 6 years as a program.

In closing I feel that now that Douglass has moved to 6A I know playing only 9 games with two of those being against out of state teams will hurt their RPI, but you have trouble finding teams to play in Kentucky you have no choice but to go to other states. In 5A with the competitiveness of the class RPI was important but I feel in 6A it is not as big as an issue because before the season ever starts you know you are going to have to beat ST. X, Male, or Trinity and probably two out of those three no matter what the RPI says, just go back and look at some of Trinity's RPI numbers. Best of luck to the Broncos and kudos to the coaches and administration on this upcoming schedule. Go Broncos!!

Here is visual put out today by the Frederick Douglass Football Boosters[attachment=501]
Love the schedule!
(02-24-2023, 06:49 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Love the schedule!

I love the hype they did today on their Facebook site by starting at 8 this morning and released a game an hour going through the schedule. I think it has to be one of the most competitive ones in the state.
My boy was keeping me updated about it. I like it. He’s friends with some of the players. To me, you have to promote your product and Frederick Douglass is definitely doing that!
I think the timing of both bye weeks is the best thing. Perfect places to regroup if you need to, decompress if you need to, work on things that didnt work in big games.
That is a tough schedule, but Douglas has built a great program in a short amount of time and seemed to want to take things to another level similar to what Trinity had a short time ago. Good for them.
Douglass has a schedule that is the best in the state, no question. I am curious how they play the Tigers and the Rocks early in the season, especially Trinity. Tradition says both of those teams should beat Douglass like a Cherokee drum, and the last time FD played Trinity it was Bob Beatty's farewell tour and the Broncos took a 50 to -14 beating. St. X played FD last year without 6 defensive and 4 offensive starters and FD looked helpless. I don't know, but I am interested. Can FD make noise? Or will they be another Dupont Manual and fizzle out?
Tough schedule but respectfully to them, I can see 3-5 lost season. Remember they have been spoiled playing lexington cupcake and a weak district schools. This non- district schedule is no cupcake.
The game between Douglass and Akron Hoban is part of this showcase.

Here below is the other games in this showcase.
(02-24-2023, 06:44 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Yes as of know they are only going to play 9 games. There is no rule requiring you to play 10 games. While only playing 9 games I think even those out there that are not big Frederick Douglass fans will have to admit it is a pretty tough schedule. I think the coaches and administration at Douglass have done a very good job since the restrictions that had been placed on them for their first 6 years by the FCPS. Their two scrimmages this year is against South Oldham and 6A power St. X who they scrimmaged last season as well.

They are playing two big time programs from Ohio and Indiana. They will play Akron Hoban to open the season, which is a 300 mile trip one way. They were ranked #57 nationally last season and have won 4 state titles in their class in the last 10 years and I believe lost in the finals in two others. The game is being played at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium in Massillon, OH. Their 2nd game is also on the road to play Trinity at Marshall Stadium everyone knows that Trinity is in the hunt almost every season and have won 4 of the last 10 6A titles in Kentucky. The 3rd game of the season should be a little bit of a breather especially after their first two games. They will have their first home game vs. Tates Creek. I personally give Tates Creek credit FD offered to continue to play any of the other 4 Lexington schools who wanted to play since they are in the same district as Bryan Station and Tates Creek was the only one of those 4 who still wanted to play. Their 4th game of the season is on the road again to Corbin a state power year in and year out who lost to Boyle in last years 4A title game. The 5th game is a home game against Indiana powerhouse Cathedral Indianapolis they have won 5 state titles in the last 10 years. I also know in 2019 when Trinity won the 6A state title they defeated Trinity 28-7 that year.
The next part of the season the Broncos begin district with a home game vs. Madison Central for their 6th game. The 7th game is a 3 mile road game against Bryan Station which should be for the district title and also a chance to stop the Broncos undefeated streak vs all schools in Lexington public or private. The Defenders made it to the 6A semifinals last season. The 8th and final district game will be a home game vs George Rogers Clark. This should be a game that the Broncos should win. Unless another game is added which I don't think will happen Frederick Douglass will close out the regular season on Oct. 27 with a home game against 4A super power Boyle Co. I'm very glad to see these two great programs continue to play each other after their first two year contract. I think this is by far the best schedule that the Broncos have had in the previous 6 years as a program.

In closing I feel that now that Douglass has moved to 6A I know playing only 9 games with two of those being against out of state teams will hurt their RPI, but you have trouble finding teams to play in Kentucky you have no choice but to go to other states. In 5A with the competitiveness of the class RPI was important but I feel in 6A it is not as big as an issue because before the season ever starts you know you are going to have to beat ST. X, Male, or Trinity and probably two out of those three no matter what the RPI says, just go back and look at some of Trinity's RPI numbers. Best of luck to the Broncos and kudos to the coaches and administration on this upcoming schedule. Go Broncos!!

Here is visual put out today by the Frederick Douglass Football Boosters
They’ve recruited hard enough the past few years so let’s hope they compete with these Ohio schools.

They’ve recruited well the past few years so let’s hope they compete well with these Ohio schools.
(03-18-2023, 05:47 PM)Neersfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2023, 06:44 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Yes as of know they are only going to play 9 games. There is no rule requiring you to play 10 games. While only playing 9 games I think even those out there that are not big Frederick Douglass fans will have to admit it is a pretty tough schedule. I think the coaches and administration at Douglass have done a very good job since the restrictions that had been placed on them for their first 6 years by the FCPS. Their two scrimmages this year is against South Oldham and 6A power St. X who they scrimmaged last season as well.

Here is visual put out today by the Frederick Douglass Football Boosters
They’ve recruited hard enough the past few years so let’s hope they compete with these Ohio schools.

They’ve recruited well the past few years so let’s hope they compete well with these Ohio schools.
Corbin will beat Douglas this season
Great day for Frederick Douglass yesterday it was their 2027 signing day for the incoming freshman class.  As always it’s special to be a BRONCO! Thank you to all the players, families, coaches, booster members that made today special for these kids. It’s all about player development! #Relentless23 @fdouglassfb

Douglass Football takes a Sunday afternoon each spring for their incoming freshman players to do two things: Let them see how important Bronco football is to the staff and players and to let them have a special and exciting experience to let them know if the work hard they could have another one for real in 4 years.

This year to go along with the above post about freshman signing day they added this cool touch. I hope it goes through enjoy. If you don't have Facebook it is short videos of what is like to play for Frederick Douglass Football from Jager Burton, Ty Bryant, and Dane Key.

https://www.facebook.com/42207715/posts/...k816rhuCl/
(04-24-2023, 08:45 AM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Great day for Frederick Douglass yesterday it was their 2027 signing day for the incoming freshman class.  As always it’s special to be a BRONCO! Thank you to all the players, families, coaches, booster members that made today special for these kids. It’s all about player development! #Relentless23 @fdouglassfb

Douglass Football takes a Sunday afternoon each spring for their incoming freshman players to do two things: Let them see how important Bronco football is to the staff and players and to let them have a special and exciting experience to let them know if the work hard they could have another one for real in 4 years.

This year to go along with the above post about freshman signing day they added this cool touch. I hope it goes through enjoy. If you don't have Facebook it is short videos of what is like to play for Frederick Douglass Football from Jager Burton, Ty Bryant, and Dane Key.

You all actually do a middle school to high school "signing day"? LOL anyways, I take it you all "enticed" city wide middle schoolers to attend douglass?
(04-26-2023, 10:33 AM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2023, 08:45 AM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Great day for Frederick Douglass yesterday it was their 2027 signing day for the incoming freshman class.  As always it’s special to be a BRONCO! Thank you to all the players, families, coaches, booster members that made today special for these kids. It’s all about player development! #Relentless23 @fdouglassfb

You all actually do a middle school to high school "signing day"? LOL anyways, I take it you all "enticed" city wide middle schoolers to attend douglass?

No they only the ones in that district come there unless they apply for one of the specialty programs at Douglass and are expected can they live outside of the district and come just as with the other high schools in Lexington can do for the other schools that have specialty programs. They do get the young me that attend the Carter G. Woodson Academy that is housed in the Douglass building. As far as the signing day lol comment we do have that every year and it means a lot to the kids and that is one of the reasons why that Douglass has had on average of just over 95% of kids who go through the signing day at the end of their 8th grade go on to play all 4 years on the team. It's been a good thing for the Douglass program and it means a lot to both the players as well as the parents that they are looked upon as an integral part of the program and not just glorified manages as some of the other schools make them feel like.

(02-26-2023, 09:19 AM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: [ -> ]Tough schedule but respectfully to them, I can see 3-5 lost season. Remember they have been spoiled playing lexington cupcake and a weak district schools. This non- district schedule is no cupcake.

Their schedule was no fault of their own they had no choice who they could play for their first 6 seasons. The school board made all of the city schools play each other and they could not help the district they were in. They could only schedule one game out of the 10 on their schedule and they always tried to play the best team that was available and who were willing to play them. They have scheduled Boyle Co., Lexington Catholic, LCA, North Hardin, Danville, and Conner. They have scrimmaged teams such as Trinity, St. X, and Corbin.
(04-26-2023, 10:33 AM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: [ -> ]

LOL- Awfully different a signing day at a public?- " That's Saying they are enticed without saying they are enticed"  trust me that word gets out to other middlle schoolers that are not in the district somehow, but it's been working so more power to the Broncos!
The Broncos had their ring night tonight to receive the 2022 State Championship Rings.

A side view.
Aveion Chenualt a junior WR for the Broncos has been offered by Duke. Link below. Congratulations!

https://twitter.com/2aveion/status/16821...68866?s=20
Congratulations!!! Awesome!!!
How does that Carter academy work within FD? Any kid within the lex area goes to the academy but then suits up for FD? Any one know how many players actually attend the academy and not even enrolled at FD?

Serious questions ^ I don’t fully understand how it works.
(07-23-2023, 10:45 AM)AverageJoe Wrote: [ -> ]How does that Carter academy work within FD?  Any kid within the lex area goes to the academy but then suits up for FD?  Any one know how many players actually attend the academy and not even enrolled at FD?

It used to be that way yes, but now I believe FCPS passed a rule that you have to go and play for your home/district school now.
(07-23-2023, 10:45 AM)AverageJoe Wrote: [ -> ]How does that Carter academy work within FD?  Any kid within the lex area goes to the academy but then suits up for FD?  Any one know how many players actually attend the academy and not even enrolled at FD?

Some of my info could be a little off- Carver was started by a lady named Rosalyn Atkins  for elementary and MS students it was called BMW(Black Males Working) mainly but not strictly for kids from single parent homes. Then Carver got started, if you were in Elementary or MS they all went to Crawford Middle School but the HS kids had to go to school in there District. Once FD was built they built a couple of wings to house the HS kids so they all could go to the same schoo under one roof, no matter where you lived (they have to wear a suit and tie to school). Heard she is trying to build a stand alone school for Carver. Not all FD players are in that program but it's a HUGE advantage for them and they also have other programs that kids can apply to that live out of District that will get them into FD(so does other Fayette Co schools) even if you drop out of the programs which most do I was told you still get to stay at that particular school I was also told.  Like I said some info could be a little off, but not much.
(07-23-2023, 10:45 AM)AverageJoe Wrote: [ -> ]How does that Carter academy work within FD? Any kid within the lex area goes to the academy but then suits up for FD? Any one know how many players actually attend the academy and not even enrolled at FD?

A lot of what @Big Daddy Bull above is correct. There are only around 100 students in grades 6-12 that go to the Carter G. Woodson Academy there is a committee for the school that is totally separate from the Frederick Douglass administration that chooses the males who attend there. All 9-12 that attend the school are part of the Frederick Douglass student body as far as sports, band, chorus, etc. Plus, there numbers count on the FD numbers for classification. However, the students in grades 6-8 that attend Carter G, Woodson they go back to the middle school in which they live. A example for his 7th and 8th grade years Woodford basketball standout Jasper Johnson attended the Academy. Finally, as BDB stated above all 6 high schools in Fayette Co. all offer different program paths that any student can apply for and if accepted they can go to that school no matter where they live in Fayette Co.
This is pretty cool it was posted by the Douglass football boosters.

[attachment=596]This is pretty cool it was posted by the Douglass football boosters.
(02-26-2023, 02:12 AM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]Douglass has a schedule that is the best in the state, no question. I am curious how they play the Tigers and the Rocks early in the season, especially Trinity. Tradition says both of those teams should beat Douglass like a Cherokee drum, and the last time FD played Trinity it was Bob Beatty's farewell tour and the Broncos took a 50 to -14 beating. St. X played FD last year without 6 defensive and 4 offensive starters and FD looked helpless. I don't know, but I am interested. Can FD make noise? Or will they be another Dupont Manual and fizzle out?
Can they handle Corbin at Corbin?
(07-31-2023, 10:59 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2023, 02:12 AM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]Douglass has a schedule that is the best in the state, no question. I am curious how they play the Tigers and the Rocks early in the season, especially Trinity. Tradition says both of those teams should beat Douglass like a Cherokee drum, and the last time FD played Trinity it was Bob Beatty's farewell tour and the Broncos took a 50 to -14 beating. St. X played FD last year without 6 defensive and 4 offensive starters and FD looked helpless. I don't know, but I am interested. Can FD make noise? Or will they be another Dupont Manual and fizzle out?
Corbin is irrelevent.

They will not leave Corbin with a win.
(08-01-2023, 11:33 AM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]
Corbin is irrelevent.

So was Bullitt East last season.
Douglass will beat Corbin by 10 I think Corbin however is going to be dangerous but how much of the good boy system will interfere with talent on the field
(08-01-2023, 07:33 PM)Advicegiver74 Wrote: [ -> ]Douglass will beat Corbin by 10 I think Corbin however is going to be dangerous but how much of the good boy system will interfere with talent on the field

I would have to guess that this matchup will be a good one for Elam to spread Douglass out and see if the defense can stop Kid Elams arm. I like Douglass but I have to see what they look like before I can just cough up a score this year. I think 10 points is generous. If the Douglass team that I saw last year is as good this year then 14-21 points might be a good spread.  Smile Douglass was the real deal Holyfield last year. I got to look at Corbin as well. Corbin has got a good team. No doubt one of the top 4 in 4A.
Pages: 1 2