Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Looking ahead: Class 4A 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Class 4A
West
1- Allen County-Scottsville, Calloway County, Hopkinsville, Logan County, Paducah Tilghman, Warren East
2- Bardstown, Breckinridge County, John Hardin, Nelson County, Thomas Nelson
3- DeSales, Doss, Jeffersontown, Valley, Waggener, Western
4- Franklin County, Henry County, North Oldham, Shelby County, Spencer County, Western Hills
East
5- Covington Catholic, Grant County, Harrison County, Holmes, Mason County
6- Ashland Blazer, Boyd County, Greenup County, Johnson Central, Rowan County
7- Boyle County, Lincoln County, Russell County, Taylor County, Wayne County
8- Corbin, Letcher County Central, Perry County Central, Whitley County

Boyle is no doubt the favorite but who is your top teams in Class 4A?
In no particular order...

At the top:

Boyle, Corbin, Cov Cath .. I really wish I could put someone from the West in this group but I just feel as if this is the cream of the crop as it stands today

Striking distance:

JC, Franklin Co, Warren East, Ashland, Paducah Tilghman

Pretty straight forward, would be an underdog against any of the above three IMO but capable of winning the game on a given Friday night

Potential Sleepers:

Logan Co, Spencer Co, Wayne Co

Three teams with capable athletes who would be tough second round matchups for whoever draws them

Obviously Boyle is the favorite until proven otherwise but it should be a very fun year for 4A.
Johnson Central will be loaded this season. If not for the potential impact of transfer players, I would predict a title run for them. They should still be in the hunt with the cards that they are holding from last season, with three returning running backs very capable of rushing for 1,000+ yards each and most of their linemen returning as well. I will be shocked if JC does not lead the state in rushing again this season. It will be interesting to see who will replace Chase Price at fullback this fall.
Top tier teams- Boyle Co, JC and Corbin
2nd tier- Franklin Co, Cov Catholic
(02-17-2023, 07:35 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Class 4A
West
1- Allen County-Scottsville, Calloway County, Hopkinsville, Logan County, Paducah Tilghman, Warren East
4- Franklin County, Henry County, North Oldham, Shelby County, Spencer County, Western Hills
East

Boyle, Cov Cath, Johnson Central, Corbin, Paducah Tilghman- Boyle is the obvious but 4A has some nice teams in this class.
Do not sleep on Bardstown. They have mostly everyone back on defense and TaTa Williams is an elite offensive weapon. Probably not a title contender but a Final Four appearance wouldn't shock me.
4A is loaded for '23 !!
(02-17-2023, 09:30 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]Johnson Central will be loaded this season. If not for the potential impact of transfer players, I would predict a title run for them. They should still be in the hunt with the cards that they are holding from last season, with three returning running backs very capable of rushing for 1,000+ yards each and most of their linemen returning as well. I will be shocked if JC does not lead the state in rushing again this season. It will be interesting to see who will replace Chase Price at fullback this fall.

It is so hard to replace an all time great.  I think Coach Peck did a great job last year and I really think JC makes a lot of noise this year.  4A is just so loaded it will be hard to get to Lex but I think they will make a run at it.
(02-17-2023, 07:35 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Class 4A
West
East

The addition of Paducah Tilghman and Bardstown in the West and Covington Catholic and Ashland in the East should result in more competitive playoff games earlier in the playoffs this fall. Bardstown should have a decent shot at a final four appearance. If Johnson Central puts together a strong non-district schedule, I expect them to return to Kroger Field this fall. A potential playoff run that could include Covington Catholic and Corbin early will be tough enough without the RPI sending them on the road.
Bump
CCH is stepping down from 5A to 4A. They return all of their skills positions on offense along with half of their offensive line. They have one of the top college recruits in the state back this season in Willie Rodriguez after he missed the second half of last year to an injury. He plays TE/LB. On defense they have 4 of their top 6 tacklers back, and all but one returning from their defensive backfield. They graduated one linebacker and one defensive lineman last year.

Calling them second tier is just...well, actually, I'll tell ya what, just keep on under estimating. Fine by me.

Try poking your heads out of central and eastern Kentucky every once in a while and have a look around.
(06-20-2023, 06:11 AM)TheOracle Wrote: [ -> ]CCH is stepping down from 5A to 4A. They return all of their skills positions on offense along with half of their offensive line. They have one of the top college recruits in the state back this season in Willie Rodriguez after he missed the second half of last year to an injury. He plays TE/LB. On defense they have 4 of their top 6 tacklers back, and all but one returning from their defensive backfield. They graduated one linebacker and one defensive lineman last year.

Calling them second tier is just...well, actually, I'll tell ya what, just keep on under estimating. Fine by me.

Try poking your heads out of central and eastern Kentucky every once in a while and have a look around.
I only saw one poster refer to Covington Catholic as"second tier" - did I miss something? Nice attempt to play the Rodney Dangerfield card but I don't think any team in 4A is going to overlook CovCath. It is very important for Johnson Central to enter the playoffs undefeated. Nobody will want to play the Colonels on the road if they can avoid it.
1. Corbin, 2. Johnson Central, 3. Covington Catholic, 4. Boyle County. Corbin is being over looked right now but if you watched State Championship game you’ll see Corbin was only two plays from beating Boyle in biggest stage. Corbin looses to Frederick Douglas in Regular season and goes on to Beat Johnson Central and ends up playing Boyle County once again on Kroger Field. Greer and company finally gets the Win and puts the big C back on top in 4A football. Haddix had a great run at Boyle last three seasons but this is the year of the dog and the Hounds gonna chew on the Rebels like a bone.
(06-20-2023, 10:47 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote: [ -> ]1. Corbin, 2. Johnson Central, 3. Covington Catholic, 4. Boyle County. Corbin is being over looked right now but if you watched State Championship game you’ll see Corbin was only two plays from beating Boyle in biggest stage. Corbin looses to Frederick Douglas in Regular season and goes on to Beat Johnson Central and ends up playing Boyle County once again on Kroger Field. Greer and company finally gets the Win and puts the big C back on top in 4A football. Haddix had a great run at Boyle last three seasons but this is the year of the dog and the Hounds gonna chew on the Rebels like a bone.
Woah
(06-20-2023, 06:11 AM)TheOracle Wrote: [ -> ]CCH is stepping down from 5A to 4A. They return all of their skills positions on offense along with half of their offensive line. They have one of the top college recruits in the state back this season in Willie Rodriguez after he missed the second half of last year to an injury. He plays TE/LB. On defense they have 4 of their top 6 tacklers back, and all but one returning from their defensive backfield. They graduated one linebacker and one defensive lineman last year.

The same Cov Cath that got smacked around by highlands. Mehhhhh. I’m good. Plus only beat Pikeville by a score. Are any Mayers walking back through that door?? The weakest football in the state is played in the northern part.
(06-20-2023, 10:47 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote: [ -> ]1. Corbin, 2. Johnson Central, 3. Covington Catholic, 4. Boyle County. Corbin is being over looked right now but if you watched State Championship game you’ll see Corbin was only two plays from beating Boyle in biggest stage. Corbin looses to Frederick Douglas in Regular season and goes on to Beat Johnson Central and ends up playing Boyle County once again on Kroger Field. Greer and company finally gets the Win and puts the big C back on top in 4A football. Haddix had a great run at Boyle last three seasons but this is the year of the dog and the Hounds gonna chew on the Rebels like a bone.

hmmm.  

Good prediction based on last year's title game.  

But the statement:  "puts the big C back on top in 4A football."  To my knowledge, they've never been on top of 4A Football.
(06-20-2023, 01:13 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]

The same Cov Cath that got smacked around by highlands. Mehhhhh. I’m good. Plus only beat Pikeville by a score. Are any Mayers walking back through that door?? The weakest football in the state is played in the northern part.

Love it. I absolutely love it, seriously! Beechwood, Highlands, Cov Cath...all weak as water. Gimme Phelps and Lynn Camp and Pineville and Betsy Layne and Pike County Central and East Ridge and Knott Central and Prestonsburg any day of the week over those wimpy Tigers and Colonels and Bluebirds from the northern part of the state, don't you agree??

But yes, Cov Cath lost to Highlands by 11. They were two weeks off of losing their top receiver and #2 tackler for the season, they had two starting offensive linemen out due to injury and one more playing injured. They also had one of their starting d-linemen and one of their starting middle linebackers out for the game...and Highlands did, in fact, smack them around a little.

Did you know Cov Cath was the first team to ever have Frederick Douglass trailing in a game last season as well? And one of only two teams to manage that the entire season? (The other team was Woodford County...neither Owensboro or Bowling Green managed that.)

Like I said, try poking your head out of central and eastern Kentucky every once in a while. You'll be amazed at the things you learn.
(06-20-2023, 03:37 PM)TheOracle Wrote: [ -> ]

Love it. I absolutely love it, seriously! Beechwood, Highlands, Cov Cath...all weak as water. Gimme Phelps and Lynn Camp and Pineville and Betsy Layne and Pike County Central and East Ridge and Knott Central and Prestonsburg any day of the week over those wimpy Tigers and Colonels and Bluebirds from the northern part of the state, don't you agree??

But yes, Cov Cath lost to Highlands by 11. They were two weeks off of losing their top receiver and #2 tackler for the season, they had two starting offensive linemen out due to injury and one more playing injured. They also had one of their starting d-linemen and one of their starting middle linebackers out for the game...and Highlands did, in fact, smack them around a little.

Did you know Cov Cath was the first team to ever have Frederick Douglass trailing in a game last season as well? And one of only two teams to manage that the entire season? (The other team was Woodford County...neither Owensboro or Bowling Green managed that.)

Like I said, try poking your head out of central and eastern Kentucky every once in a while. You'll be amazed at the things you learn.

So you’re going to use the three best teams in NKY and compare them to the bottom feeders of EKY? Pikeville, Johnson Central, Belfry.. all much more relevant than Highlands and Cov Cath. Beechwood is the only reason NKY football has been relevant. 

And that’s great! Cov Cath played close in a game they ultimately lost by how much? Northern KY pride is the best, bragging on losing. NKY football will for sure be irrelevant now than Coach Rash is gone.
I think CC makes it to the semi's at minimum. Get to the semi's and you never know who shows up for one game. Any 1of 4 or 5 teams can take the title this year. It's certainly not a given.....but I like Boyle's chances of 4 in a row.

I wouldn’t give up a minute of our hollers, creeks, and hills for all the money you flat landers got up north…But I’d guess about any poll you could have around Eastern Kentucky would rate Beechwood, Cov Cath, and Highlands as some of the top programs in the state…And I absolutely think Cov Cath is entirely capable of being at Commonwealth’s Stadium in December

My thinking Covington Catholic should have loss in the second game of the year to 1A Pikeville Mountain pride all day long. Lol!!
(06-20-2023, 05:49 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]

So you’re going to use the three best teams in NKY and compare them to the bottom feeders of EKY? Pikeville, Johnson Central, Belfry.. all much more relevant than Highlands and Cov Cath. Beechwood is the only reason NKY football has been relevant. 

And that’s great! Cov Cath played close in a game they ultimately lost by how much? Northern KY pride is the best, bragging on losing. NKY football will for sure be irrelevant now than Coach Rash is gone.
Covington Catholic will be one of the top 4 teams in 4A, but not all of the semi-finalists will be top 4 teams because the teams in the East are so much stronger than the teams in the West. Johnson Central's offense evolved to beat Highlands and Covington Catholic when all three teams were in the same region, along with Ashland. JC had some success against Covington Catholic and gave Highlands a couple of scares but never made it out of the region. I like JC's chances of winning a match-up with Covington Catholic but the Colonels are going to be very good this season.
(06-20-2023, 02:52 PM)Hatz Wrote: [ -> ]

hmmm.  

But the statement:  "puts the big C back on top in 4A football."  To my knowledge, they've never been on top of 4A Football.
Last year Corbin and Boyle top two 4A teams with both playing at Kroger Field in December. Corbin goes BACK TO Kroger Field puts them back on top of 4A again. When you play for a State Championship in either class it takes two teams to play that game. Top two teams are the measuring stick of each Class. Need to make it like Wrestling losers shave their heads or Haddix vs Greer and loser shaves head bald on 50 yard line in front of entire fan base from both sides.
Covington Catholic will at minimum be playing for a regional title, and at their best I would say they could make it to Kroger. I think the conundrum to all this is the RPI system and where it has them traveling or hosting an East power in round three. Should they draw Boyle or JC, they are looking at a dog fight. Regular season success is going to be a huge part of how far along Catholic will go just due to matchups that will present themselves in the playoffs should they struggle, IMO.
(06-21-2023, 10:30 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote: [ -> ]

hmmm.  

Last year Corbin and Boyle top two 4A teams with both playing at Kroger Field in December. Corbin goes BACK TO Kroger Field puts them back on top of 4A again. When you play for a State Championship in either class it takes two teams to play that game. Top two teams are the measuring stick of each Class. Need to make it like Wrestling losers shave their heads or Haddix vs Greer and loser shaves head bald on 50 yard line in front of entire fan base from both sides.
Greer would be bald all the time ? ? ?
(06-21-2023, 03:40 PM)True pioneer Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-21-2023, 10:30 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote: [ -> ]

hmmm.  

Greer would be bald all the time ? ? ?
No as soon as he heard about the head shaving he’d go back to losing in the region to keep from having any chance at playing Boyle…

hmmm.  

Agreed. Fun fact.. 1982 is the same distance away from 2023 as it is 1941. Been a long time since the big C has been on top of anything.
FootballFan1999

hmmm.  

Agreed. Fun fact.. 1982 is the same distance away from 2023 as it is 1941. Been a long time since the big C has been on top of anything.
Can't imagine anyone but Boyle winning 4a. Johnson Central will be much improved this year and a clear 2nd but the gap is still there.
A lot of Covington Catholic fans believe that this year's team will be their best in several years. They return their top running back, a D1 level TE with a long list of offers, their starting quarterback, and most of their linemen. 

Had Boyle County not been able to restock their cupboard with transfers, I think 4A would have been wide open this season. The play of the transfers will determine how good of a shot Covington Catholic, Johnson Central, and Corbin will have of dethroning the Rebels.
Pages: 1 2 3