Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Lawrence is going to be fine, they have some really good upcoming talent and new OC as well. They have the athletes that can make big plays on both sides of the ball. The belfry matchup with be a dandy for years to come.
Who is Lawrence County’s new OC?
Thomas Frazier
(02-07-2023, 03:16 PM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Thomas Frazier
The MS coach from last year?
(02-07-2023, 03:16 PM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Thomas Frazier
Wow! Will he remain as the middle school coach (hopefully)? I hope he runs the same offense. Their offense was the most entertaining one I watched last year (including high school).

Why did Short decide to do this?
Yea, he was the MS school coach that won the state championship last year. Short hired him because he is a great offensive mind and will open up the offense and utilize the talent and skill they have coming up.
(02-07-2023, 04:15 PM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Yea, he was the MS school coach that won the state championship last year. Short hired him because he is a great offensive mind and will open up the offense and utilize the talent and skill they have coming up.
Will he coach the MS again this year, since his son will return as the QB?
I would imagine he will not be coaching MS this year since he’s OC at the high school.
Good hire. Good guy and a good coach.
I had mistakenly said that Belfry was playing Pulaski County. It is Southwestern. Belfry still needs one game in week 3 or 8.
(02-09-2023, 02:24 PM)bucslover68 Wrote: [ -> ]I had mistakenly said that Belfry was playing Pulaski County.  It is Southwestern.  Belfry still needs one game in week 3 or 8.
Johnson Central is needing a week three game.
(02-09-2023, 02:37 PM)Coach Booth Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-09-2023, 02:24 PM)bucslover68 Wrote: [ -> ]I had mistakenly said that Belfry was playing Pulaski County.  It is Southwestern.  Belfry still needs one game in week 3 or 8.
Johnson Central is needing a week three game.
Belfry playing JC in 2024 PCB so would have to be one year deal to play in 2023. Not sure that will happen
Does anyone know their schedule yet?
(02-20-2023, 11:23 AM)jgreenlhc Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know their schedule yet?
Still looking for a 10th game
Who do they have so far.
(02-21-2023, 05:09 AM)jgreenlhc Wrote: [ -> ]Who do they have so far.
Week 1 @breathitt 
Week 2 GRC  (Pike Co Bowl) 
Week 3 open
Week 4 @Southwestern 
Week 5 Pikeville 
Week 6 @Magoffin 
Week 7 Lawrence Co 
Week 8 open 
Week 9 @Estill
Week 10 Powell Co 
Week 11 Letcher Central (not sure on the site)
(02-21-2023, 10:15 AM)irishcard16 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2023, 05:09 AM)jgreenlhc Wrote: [ -> ]Who do they have so far.
Week 1 @breathitt 
Week 2 GRC  (Pike Co Bowl) 
Week 3 open
Week 4 @Southwestern 
Week 5 Pikeville 
Week 6 @Magoffin 
Week 7 Lawrence Co 
Week 8 open 
Week 9 @Estill
Week 10 Powell Co 
Week 11 Letcher Central (not sure on the site)
Thanks
Hopefully by playing one of the next two years in the Bowl against Belfry will cause an interest for the series to resume but sadly there was an effort to remove Johnson Central from the Bowl in the next two years to be replaced with another team.
Belfry might be the most intriguing team in the eastern part of the state.

They might have more athletes than they have had ever. Do they have a Dixon or Jones or Howard? No, but they do have 6-8 athletic dudes.

They were not good for most the year but was very good at times. Against Central and half of the game against Pulaski.

My big questions are, do they have any incoming freshmen who can play right way? Can they replace some of the beef guys up front? If they can can they teach pass blocking? Most importantly can the develop their QB who has the tools, and the young athletes that go with him? Does that development mean they change from that service academy offense?
(02-23-2023, 12:05 PM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]Belfry might be the most intriguing team in the eastern part of the state.

They might have more athletes than they have had ever. Do they have a Dixon or Jones or Howard? No, but they do have 6-8 athletic dudes.

They were not good for most the year but was very good at times. Against Central and half of the game against Pulaski.

My big questions are, do they have any incoming freshmen who can play right way? Can they replace some of the beef guys up front? If they can can they teach pass blocking? Most importantly can the develop their QB who has the tools, and the young athletes that go with him? Does that development mean they change from that service academy offense?
They do have some nice athletes….however NO WAY CLOSE to the run of athletes like 2014-2015-2016.  At least not IMO.      That simply was a freakishly talented group.  The offensive line was not good  collectively last year.  Some good players…but not as a group. For Belfry to take the proverbial “jump” into the conversation as championship contenders…the OL has to improve.  Both physically and mentally.  

will Belfry open up the offense?   Not saying that they can’t open it up and incorporate a somewhat moderate passing game….just saying they would prefer to stick with what has brought 8 championship titles.  Smash mouth football.   The talent is available to open it up.   Just not sure the “want to” is there.  

should be a few freshman to see some time and help out in spots.  Not sure to what extent though.  

be interesting too see how these next few years play out against LC.   They’re doing an awful lot of talking up in Louisa   They have some good young talent.  Probably come down to the respective coaching staffs and their ability to prepare.
The good news for Belfry:
- They took their licks against a tough schedule and a lot of Freshman and Sophomore talent got a ton of experience and growing pains out of the way.
- The old saying is "Belfry starts with their FB" and Belfry should have two strong players capable of playing FB. Dre Young has been solid and Isaiah Stanley was supposed to be a key part of that backfield until he got injured and had to play the year only on defense with a cast when he did return.

- There are some nice pieces... QB with arm talent in Chase Varney, Receiver with hands, Woolum was solid at HB, Caudill showed flashes of brilliance, Cayden Varney flashed big time potential at DB.

- On that note, secondary could really turn into something solid.. not sure how often that has been the case at Belfry. Woolum, Varney, and Burke is a really solid trio.

- The McCoy kid at kicker is pretty reliable and did a fine enough job for his part of things including a game winning FG and being very good at XP's.

The Bad News...

- Belfry's Front 7 was pretty rough at times. When teams wanted to move the ball on the ground they could. Once they moved the ball on the ground the pass defense opened up. Belfry didn't lose a ton of Seniors, but the ones they lost were their top leading tacklers. Pass rush was a non-factor and tackling was pretty sketchy.

- The Belfry OLine was pretty mediocre last season, with youth and injuries being a big part of that. They nearly got their QB murdered against Johnson Central and didn't create much of a surge at all. With the skill back on offense success starts with the Line.

- Belfry can't depend on the calendar to improve and get back to a Championship level. Yes.. they return a lot of experience and yes these kids have been successful... but the product taking the field at the end of 2022 was nowhere remotely close to being able to compete at a level worthy of a State Champion. 3A was nothing to write home about an every Semi-Finals team probably would have running clocked Belfry. This group can mature and grow but it starts in the off-season and starts with a hunger. Physically they are a long way from looking like a Title team.. weight room, speed program, and athletic training have to be a focus.
Here is my hope as well... for the first time in forever I truly feel that 7 on 7 has huge merit for Belfry and can be a huge developmental tool if they take it serious and invest into it.

I dont see this Oline ever being dominant or capable of winning in November against a stacked box. Belfry's best weapon will be the fear that you can't stack 10 into the LOS and that a team has to commit a safety and or a LB who at least has to pause and read for fear of a pass.

They need a timing a rhythm between the Burke, a TE, and at least one back that they know they have a 5+ yard gain without play action that is likely every time they need it against a 0 coverage and a CB on an island. A quick slant, hitch, and out with Burke that is consistently thrown and caught... a flare to the flat to the back.. and at least the threat of a TE in the seam.

Additionally, that secondary has potential but they need reps and they need confidence and aggressiveness. 7 on 7 can help with that.
I disagree a little EKU, I think their Oline has the ability to pretty good the next 2-3 years. I do agree getting a healthy Stanley will be a huge boost.
I’d think if he was healthy you could put him at FB and have Young and Woolum as your main two backs and be pretty darn good. Or leave Young at FB and have Stanley and Woolum together. I just don’t see Belfry committing to some new system. They’ll spend 98% of their time working on the timing and blocking and reads of their same offense and pass a little here or there.
But when the games are tight or it’s Mid November they’ll lean on their running game and just pray that that 10 minutes they’ve worked on a passing game will bail them out on a 3rd and long.
Now I could get fooled, but with those 3 backs I just don’t see them morphing into the late 90’s Rams…..for you youngsters The Greatest Show on Turf haha
Lawrence will look a lot different than last year as well. They have some really good young men coming up who have been working hard. Offensively, they will be completely different, will be a lot of fun for the future of Lawrence vs Belfry matchup.
I was very impressed with LC’s middle school team last year especially offensively. They had a very balanced run/pass mix and utilized all their weapons nicely. Went on many different snap counts and paces of the offense, would hop to the line and do some check with me type stuff. Offensively, you could tell they were coached very well and the qb ran the offense really well. It was fun to watch. When I heard they won the middle school state title, I wasn’t surprised.
Yes they and Belfry will have some fun matchups over the next few years.
(02-27-2023, 04:55 PM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Lawrence will look a lot different than last year as well. They have some really good young men coming up who have been working hard. Offensively, they will be completely different, will be a lot of fun for the future of Lawrence vs Belfry matchup.
So Lawrence County has their best team in a very long time and they decide to change their offense?
(02-27-2023, 12:34 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: [ -> ]Here is my hope as well... for the first time in forever I truly feel that 7 on 7 has huge merit for Belfry and can be a huge developmental tool if they take it serious and invest into it.

I dont see this Oline ever being dominant or capable of winning in November against a stacked box. Belfry's best weapon will be the fear that you can't stack 10 into the LOS and that a team has to commit a safety and or a LB who at least has to pause and read for fear of a pass.

They need a timing a rhythm between the Burke, a TE, and at least one back that they know they have a 5+ yard gain without play action that is likely every time they need it against a 0 coverage and a CB on an island. A quick slant, hitch, and out with Burke that is consistently thrown and caught... a flare to the flat to the back.. and at least the threat of a TE in the seam.

Additionally, that secondary has potential but they need reps and they need confidence and aggressiveness. 7 on 7 can help with that.
I agree EKU, the Pirates definitely have enough at the "skill positions", but it will be the O-Line that keeps them from winning another championship in the next couple years. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
(03-05-2023, 03:53 PM)#55PirateFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2023, 12:34 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: [ -> ]Here is my hope as well... for the first time in forever I truly feel that 7 on 7 has huge merit for Belfry and can be a huge developmental tool if they take it serious and invest into it.

I agree EKU, the Pirates definitely have enough at the "skill positions", but it will be the O-Line that keeps them from winning another championship in the next couple years. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

They have a legitimate Division 1 prospect in Wolford and possible one in Dotson.

Rumor is they are changing offensive philosophy because they don’t have their usual linemen to go with those guys and to fit their personal better.

I’ll believe that when I see it.
Lawrence changed their offense to mold it to the athletes that they have now and in the future. They have a lot of talented skill position players and they want to utilize them.
How does the emergence of Jones at Mingo impact the Pirates?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9