Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region Top 10 as of 1/19/2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1.  Perry Central - Beat Knott 
2.  Leslie County - Beat Owsley and LCC
3.  Letcher Central
4.  Owsley County
5.  Knott Central
6.  Hazard
7.  Wolfe County
8.  Estill County
9.  Powell County
10. Buckhorn
Owsley County just defeated Letcher Central 50-43 and led the entire game on January 17. How do you see the Lady Cougars in front of the Lady Owls???
Where the game was at Owsley. Feel LCC will win on a neutral floor. Leslie would beat LCC 10 plus at Leslie. Home court has its advantages.
(01-19-2023, 12:19 PM)UDukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Where the game was at Owsley.  Feel LCC will win on a neutral floor.  Leslie would beat LCC 10 plus at Leslie.  Home court has its advantages.
Owsley has played Leslie twice on their home court this season, once in the Hyden Citizen Bank Classic in December and later in the All A title game. In the first game the game was tied with about 10 seconds left and Owsley nearly stole the ball for a wide open layup for the win but Leslie was able to retrieve it and then make a last second shot for a 2 point win. And that was on their home floor in Hyden. The All A game was just one of those nights that Leslie was in a 3 point shooting zone and I don’t think anyone in the region would have played them close that night. Owsley was in a zone like that against Leslie last year in the region semis in late Feb ‘22 and ran out to a 20 point lead and won by 11. Those things happen. 

I think the top 5 as of this week are:

1 Leslie Co
2 Perry Central
3 Owsley Co
4 Letcher Central
5 Knott Central

We will know a lot more soon when some of these teams play one another.

Right now I don’t think there’s a massive difference between the top 4 teams, maybe top 5. Anyone of them has the ability to get hot at the right time and win the region.

And I’ll add that on certain nights teams like Wolfe, Estill and Powell could knock off a higher rated team in the regional tournament. Wolfe almost did it to Perry in last year’s regional first round at Perry. I think Perry finally won by 2 but everyone had them picked by big double digits.
1. Leslie
2. Perry
3. Owsley
4. Letcher
5. Knott
6. Powell
7. Estill
8. Wolf
9. Hazard
10. Buckhorn
I can agree with this. Pretty accurate.
I think Perry has better all around guard play than Leslie does. Hoskins is a really good player but I think the other 3 Perry guards are a little more skilled than Leslie’s other starters. Perry’s question mark is, can they stop Emma Napier? Will be a tall task for 6’2 7th grader Shaqline Amis. Amis is pretty dang advanced for her age and physical. Perry and Leslie both have deep bench play. Should be a heck of a game if one doesn’t get knocked off in the region. Leslie may be a little favored at the Nixon Center.
(01-19-2023, 12:15 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]Owsley County just defeated Letcher Central 50-43 and led the entire game on January 17. How do you see the Lady Cougars in front of the Lady Owls???
I agree Lookayanner Leslie should be 1 they defeated Knott, Owsley twice, and Letcher in the last 3 weeks.
1. Leslie 
2. Owsley
3. Perry
4. Knott
5. Letcher
I can’t really agree with Mountain baller and Lookyanner. Leslie got spanked over at Harlan County yesterday. Beat Letcher by 1 and Letchers coach wasn’t even there. Leslie isn’t a very consistent team. They should beat Little Owsley. Wow big win eagles, party in Hyden. We will see how you do against a better opponent at All A State. Eagles struggle when they get out of their little pond.
Lcc isn't gonna do anything in the region. To many parents and an ex coach trying to run the show from the side lines.. it's getting kinda ridiculous.
We are a distant 1 to everyone else too.
Perry faces LCC tonight. Tonight will tell the tale. If it’s another close game then the region is still a toss up. Perry beats them by 20 plus then it’s pretty simple math.
Perry beat LCC by 1 at home. Still a toss up.
(01-20-2023, 08:06 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I can’t really agree with Mountain baller and Lookyanner.  Leslie got spanked over at Harlan County yesterday.  Beat Letcher by 1 and Letchers coach wasn’t even there.  Leslie isn’t a very consistent team.  They should beat Little Owsley.  Wow big win eagles, party in Hyden.  We will see how you do against a better opponent at All A State.  Eagles struggle when they get out of their little pond.

Why should they beat Little Owsley.  I’d like to hear you logic on that one.

(01-21-2023, 10:57 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Perry beat LCC by 1 at home.  Still a toss up.

Perry should have lost this game.  LCC makes any FTs and it’s ballgame.
Perry missed a million free throws too. Perry should won by 5 or 6.

Because Owsley only has an enrollment of 93 kids. That’s the usual excuse.
(01-22-2023, 12:26 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Perry missed a million free throws too.  Perry should won by 5 or 6.

Because Owsley only has an enrollment of 93 kids.  That’s the usual excuse.

LCC should have won by 5-6. LCC exposed Perry’s weak areas.  Areas that will haunt them during District and Region.  

If you know anything about the game, regardless of enrollment.  Owsley is just where they want to be this time of the year.  If you ask any Coach or knowledgeable person in 14th they will tell you they don’t want to see Owsley.  

Right now I’d rank Region by lines:

1 Leslie, Perry, Owsley
2 LCC, Knott, Powell, Estill, Hazard
Everyone else.
(01-22-2023, 12:26 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Perry missed a million free throws too.  Perry should won by 5 or 6.

Because Owsley only has an enrollment of 93 kids.  That’s the usual excuse.
Lol. Owsley County isn’t too far above your estimate number. There’s approximately 200 in the 9-12 grades. That’s small considering it’s the only school in the county other than a little religious home school system with about 20 students. Owsley’s entire K-12 enrollment is only around 650. 
But throughout the decades the Lady Owls and Owls have had some very good basketball teams.
I know a lot about the game outlaw, probably a lot more than anyone you’d know. Perry does have some weaknesses and so does Owsley and Leslie. Not gonna sit here and rip these kids, I’m sure they all do their best. Nobody is afraid of Owsley. Leslie is more of a matchup problem with big Emma patrolling the paint. She just beats up on kids in the 14th.
(01-22-2023, 02:24 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I know a lot about the game outlaw, probably a lot more than anyone you’d know.  Perry does have some weaknesses and so does Owsley and Leslie.  Not gonna sit here and rip these kids, I’m sure they all do their best.  Nobody is afraid of Owsley.  Leslie is more of a matchup problem with big Emma patrolling the paint.  She just beats up on kids 

Didn’t say others don’t have weaknesses, but LCC exposed Perry weaknesses last night.  Some weaknesses that other teams hadn’t exposed yet.  No one is ripping kids, no names mentioned. Talking team.  Never bothers you to down play Owsley team or school.  Just when someone calls out the mighty dores.  And I didn’t  say they were afraid.  But they wouldn’t be a team you’d want to play in tournament time.  
Sounds like you were picking at my Mighty Dores outlaw. Hahaha. It don’t matter and I agree with you 100%, Perry has a lot to work on. Seemed like the press and M2M defense really bothered them. Thought M2M bothered Owsley when they played Knox. Tight man will bother Leslie because they don’t have a true PG. It’s a toss up at this point. Whoever is hot will win.
(01-22-2023, 03:16 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like you were picking at my Mighty Dores outlaw.  Hahaha.  It don’t matter and I agree with you 100%, Perry has a lot to work on.  Seemed like the press and M2M defense really bothered them.  Thought M2M bothered Owsley when they played Knox.  Tight man will bother Leslie because they don’t have a true PG.  It’s a toss up at this point.  Whoever is hot will win.
I agree. I really think right now it will come down to matchups and who’s shooting ball well on a given night.  I still think Perry, Leslie, Owsley are too 3. Pick the order on a given night.  I think LCC, Knott, Powell, Estill, Hazard and possibly Wolfe can knock anyone off on a given night.  Should be a very interesting tournament on girls side with some close games.
Leslie 10-0 in the region.
Perry 6-0
Perry beat Letcher at home by 1
Leslie beat Letcher on the road by 1.
1. Leslie
2. Perry
Leslie beat Letcher by 1 without their coach.
1. Perry
2. Leslie
3. Owsley
4. LCC
5. KCC

When Perry figures things out, look out Region. They have won this week playing flat out baaaaaaaad.
I love a good debate. Leslie and Perry don’t play this season, but off of what is accomplished, Leslie has beaten 3 of the top 5 teams in the region. Perry has beaten 1. Two of those wins for Leslie were blowouts. They’ve won All-A region and they have the better record than Perry, and of the two teams Leslie has the best player between the two in Courtney Hoskins, who will probably be regional player of the year. You kinda gotta put Leslie at 1 until some things change.
Critical Thinker you’re a Leslie homer, Leslie hasn’t played anyone but 14th region teams. No comp. Hoskins is a heck of a player but Napier is the hardest kid to stop for Leslie. Perry is a little better. I’d probably say Neace is better than Hoskins but she’s only a JR. So she can’t win POY.
(01-22-2023, 09:22 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Critical Thinker you’re a Leslie homer, Leslie hasn’t played anyone but 14th region teams.  No comp.  Hoskins is a heck of a player but Napier is the hardest kid to stop for Leslie.  Perry is a little better.  I’d probably say Neace is better than Hoskins but she’s only a JR.  So she can’t win POY.
I am but you’re a Perry county guy. It’s obvious we’re bias.  still, the best team out of the region goes to state.  Both teams are capable of going on. Perry only has, what i would consider, two note worthy wins. One of them being out of region. If the two played i’d say they’d be pretty even, until it came to post play. With that, and everything i mentioned above, that’s why i think they take the 1 spot. But i digress.
(01-22-2023, 09:22 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Critical Thinker you’re a Leslie homer, Leslie hasn’t played anyone but 14th region teams.  No comp.  Hoskins is a heck of a player but Napier is the hardest kid to stop for Leslie.  Perry is a little better.  I’d probably say Neace is better than Hoskins but she’s only a JR.  So she can’t win POY.
Leslie has played North Laurel and have them scheduled again, and a top ten team from Tennessee and a really good team from Alabama. They also have played Harlan County twice. Be hard to find another 14th region team play scheduled as tough as they have
No I am more of Hazard guy Critical Thinker but Im just putting things into perspective. Abby can get crazy hot and we may upset Perry or Leslie in the first round of the district but she’d absolutely have to go nuts. But it’s possible. I think if Perry starts playing the Amis girl more she can counter Napier possibly. That’s only reason why I think Perry is better. Think Perry’s three guards are overall stronger than Leslie’s, especially size wise ball handling wise. Time will tell.
It’s definitely a fair opinion. Isn’t far fetched by any means. Both teams are good. Probably a close game if they ever meet.
(01-23-2023, 10:43 AM)CriticalThinker Wrote: [ -> ]It’s definitely a fair opinion. Isn’t far fetched by any means. Both teams are good. Probably a close game if they ever meet.
I noticed on the schedule that Perry and Leslie don’t play in the regular season. Why is that? They’re in the same district and right next door to one another.
Pages: 1 2