Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Open Job: Casey County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Coach Stonebraker met with the players today and announced he was leaving and taking the Adair County Job.  Stonebraker coached a total of 9 years and had an overall record of 54-40 at Casey County.
Bump
Will anyone want this job? Not due to anything wrong with Casey County (some of the nicest folks I've been around), but with the situation they have had changing basketball coaches every year. And now they get a football coach who's had success and he leaves, unexpectedly for a job that is basically just as controversial and a similar talent pool. Something is off there. Casey may have to hire internally, and there are guys who are out there such as Coach Peach who left a close (proximity) job in Danville. Casey doesn't have Danville's tradition but I would have to think the pressure would be much less. Last year Casey seemed to be able to score at will, but their defense was atrocious. I was able to see bits and pieces of the Paducah Tilghman game and Casey was moving the ball on them, and even scored early. But their defense looked like a rabbit running through a pine woods with no underbrush. They just scampered right through Casey. Football needs a system that is invested for years in order to be successful. I feel Casey was going in the right direction on that front. But now it sounds like it's back to square one. I know I'm glad the Rockets played Casey early on.
I think some of the same assistants that applied for danville and somerset would be interested in Casey I could very well see this being a good job for a first year head coach
(12-30-2022, 02:26 PM)SmashMouth01 Wrote: [ -> ]Will anyone want this job? Not due to anything wrong with Casey County (some of the nicest folks I've been around), but with the situation they have had changing basketball coaches every year. And now they get a football coach who's had success and he leaves, unexpectedly for a job that is basically just as controversial and a similar talent pool. Something is off there. Casey may have to hire internally, and there are guys who are out there such as Coach Peach who left a close (proximity) job in Danville. Casey doesn't have Danville's tradition but I would have to think the pressure would be much less. Last year Casey seemed to be able to score at will, but their defense was atrocious. I was able to see bits and pieces of the Paducah Tilghman game and Casey was moving the ball on them, and even scored early. But their defense looked like a rabbit running through a pine woods with no underbrush. They just scampered right through Casey. Football needs a system that is invested for years in order to be successful. I feel Casey was going in the right direction on that front. But now it sounds like it's back to square one. I know I'm glad the Rockets played Casey early on.

Was it unexpected?  I had read elsewhere that it was known either before, or during, the season that Coach Stonebreaker was leaving after the season.
(12-31-2022, 10:34 PM)#1catsfan Wrote: [ -> ]I think some of the same  assistants that applied for danville and somerset would be interested in Casey I could very well see this being a good job for a first year head coach
This is my understanding as well. Was told by a source connected to the program that there have only been 5 applicants. This could very well be a first-time coach kind of position. Time will tell. I would imagine that Casey will announce a coach by the end of this month so that the off-season can begin.
(01-01-2023, 07:31 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2022, 02:26 PM)SmashMouth01 Wrote: [ -> ]Will anyone want this job? Not due to anything wrong with Casey County (some of the nicest folks I've been around), but with the situation they have had changing basketball coaches every year. And now they get a football coach who's had success and he leaves, unexpectedly for a job that is basically just as controversial and a similar talent pool. Something is off there. Casey may have to hire internally, and there are guys who are out there such as Coach Peach who left a close (proximity) job in Danville. Casey doesn't have Danville's tradition but I would have to think the pressure would be much less. Last year Casey seemed to be able to score at will, but their defense was atrocious. I was able to see bits and pieces of the Paducah Tilghman game and Casey was moving the ball on them, and even scored early. But their defense looked like a rabbit running through a pine woods with no underbrush. They just scampered right through Casey. Football needs a system that is invested for years in order to be successful. I feel Casey was going in the right direction on that front. But now it sounds like it's back to square one. I know I'm glad the Rockets played Casey early on.

Was it unexpected?  I had read elsewhere that it was known either before, or during, the season that Coach Stonebreaker was leaving after the season.

It was not unexpected.  I don't think many people knew it but Coach Stonebraker was leaving after the season regardless of how the season went.
There are a few names that I've heard that have applied, but it's all rumors at this point. After 2 days of the job being posted, I was told there was a little more than 5 applicants by an administrator, and others rumored that were going to apply.

The positives about this job:
1) community support - this is something that has grown over the years, and this year it exploded.
2) numbers - Casey had 55 kids on their roster this year and that's the most they have ever had. The numbers have increased over the past several seasons, and depending on the coach, could keep climbing.
3) Financial support - Businesses and the community have really bought in to the program and have supported football like never before.
4) Competitive Pay - The head coach's salary is $10,000. You have 3 assistants that are level 4 pay of $3.750 and 2 assistants at level 5 pay of $3,250. They are also looking into a weightlifting stipend for the head coach of $2,000-$3.000 and a stipend for 2 assistants.
5) 7th period - You can start practice during 7th period and not be at the practice field late into the evening.

Negatives:
1) Tradition, or a lack there of - This past season was Casey's first district title in 50 years of playing football and they have only played in 1 regional championship game (2016) in the history of the program. They've also only had 7 seasons above .500.
2) Because of negative number 1, there will always be a fight to keep the interest and support for the program going. As we all know, winning solves a lot of problems, and keeps the complaining to a minimum.
3) Perception - How the people are, what the support is like, lack of talent, it's a basketball school (boy's basketball has only had 1 winning season since 1994}

I'm sure there are plent others folks could add, but that is what I see and can think of off the top of my head.
Smoke give us a hint………
They'll begin to move on this job soon enough. Still hearing around 5 applicants, most of which have been listed for other positions in the past. The way I see it, the new Head Coach has probably already applied. Going to be very interesting!
I Heard thru the Grapevine that Smoke had worked a deal out for his #1 choice Justin Haddix to get the job. Promised a new Tractor. I don’t know what to think of this, but where there is Smoke, there is Fire!
(01-03-2023, 10:11 AM)HighViz Wrote: [ -> ]I Heard thru the Grapevine that Smoke had worked a deal out for his #1 choice Justin Haddix to get the job.  Promised a new Tractor. I don’t know what to think of this, but where there is Smoke, there is Fire!

I think if I was involved, I would throw in the farm with the tractor…
(01-02-2023, 01:44 PM)64SUR Wrote: [ -> ]Smoke give us a hint………
Honestly, talking to our football people, we would love for Mark Peach to put in here and get the job. We have a super experienced defensive coordinator who could also take the job. Coach Cross has coached linebackers for a Western Kentucky National Championship. And yeah, he was even coaching Justin Haddix...or coaching defense on the team that Justin Haddix quarterbacked. Honestly, he tells me all the time that Haddix is a great dude, etc.. And whoever said for us to get Haddix...well you get a Sage Dawson and a Quinsberry to Casey and I'll wash the guy's feet in public! But yeah, I think I'd say at Boyle, just a bit more money than Casey to be had. Again, talking to our guys, I think the football crowd that truly loves high-school football all want Coach Peach. I would understand a winning, and super experienced coach not coming here. But I sure hope he considers it. If not Coach Cross is a good option as his players really love him, and he's been in football at every level and various states. I am on pins and needles for this hire, because no matter what I know it's going to be a pretty big change.
Would Casey settle for a good first year coach Like Boone Goldsmith?
(01-03-2023, 10:17 PM)#1catsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Would Casey settle for a good first year coach Like Boone Goldsmith?

If I’m not mistaken, Boone was an assistant 1 year at Casey. 2016 maybe

But to answer your question, I think (and hope) they hire the best applicant, whomever that is.
Is Goldsmith interested? Might be tough to leave Boyle with their success right now. He's a good coach.
Any idea when interviews begin?
(01-02-2023, 11:44 PM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: [ -> ]They'll begin to move on this job soon enough. Still hearing around 5 applicants, most of which have been listed for other positions in the past. The way I see it, the new Head Coach has probably already applied. Going to be very interesting!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  I would support Justin like no other if he should ever get busted for recruiting violations, etc.. :-D But I have a feeling that guy will be going the college route when he eaves Boyle.

(01-03-2023, 10:17 PM)#1catsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Would Casey settle for a good first year coach Like Boone Goldsmith?
I like Boone, honestly great dude. He's probably learned a lot since he was a Casey assistant. But when he was asked to go to a coach's seminar on his group position (I think corners and WR's), and dude ended up going to a pulling guard seminar instead, and then couldn't understand "meet in the main lobby" in 90 minutes to go eat and he is the ONLY coach in your group that ate a dozen previously purchased Krispy Kremes for his supper...not sure if he's yet ready for HC experience. I'll take him as a QB coach or even OC, first.
I just hope Casey can keep moving in the right direction, no matter who they hire. The program has made progress and hate to see them go backward.
(01-04-2023, 10:00 PM)Yogi Wrote: [ -> ]I just hope Casey can keep moving in the right direction, no matter who they hire. The program has made progress and hate to see them go backward.
Yes sir. I felt that way about McCreary Central a few years ago. And I think it was Wayne county that was right at our level many years ago, probably in the early 2000's. Then Wayne gets a hell of a coach in Shawn Thompson (a guy that could get a 50 pound 'little person' to run through a 2 layer brick wall) and they were winning games, and making playoff runs, then making a championship game. Wayne has stayed at least at a mid level ever since, and were still pretty good this year. I mean 2A and 4A are KILLERS. Honestly 3A is about the only place you might have a chance if you're a school who is in that mid-tier, or in the 'lower-tier but competitive tier'. I really feel Casey has a chance to either make a move that sustains it's mid-level 3A status, or it goes on a spiral of hiring coach after coach. In my opinion if a coach can just keep the numbers up, and survive a season or two of losing, but maintain a pride in youth league that keeps getting talented kids to come out. I'm getting old, lol, and when my kid and my friend's kids graduate, I may be ready to hit the road for the game of the week. I love our kids but I can find other ways to support them.
(01-04-2023, 09:47 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2023, 11:44 PM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: [ -> ]They'll begin to move on this job soon enough. Still hearing around 5 applicants, most of which have been listed for other positions in the past. The way I see it, the new Head Coach has probably already applied. Going to be very interesting!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  I would support Justin like no other if he should ever get busted for recruiting violations, etc.. :-D But I have a feeling that guy will be going the college route when he eaves Boyle.

I like Boone, honestly great dude. He's probably learned a lot since he was a Casey assistant. But when he was asked to go to a coach's seminar on his group position (I think corners and WR's), and dude ended up going to a pulling guard seminar instead, and then couldn't understand "meet in the main lobby" in 90 minutes to go eat and he is the ONLY coach in your group that ate a dozen previously purchased Krispy Kremes for his supper...not sure if he's yet ready for HC experience. I'll take him as a QB coach or even OC, first.
This experience didn't happen quite as comically as the last comment. Goldsmith went to a seminar he determined would help him from a defensive perspective. I would not oppose to the guy coaching my kid at all. FYI, I have regained control of this account. Lol. I highly promote Goldsmith, and I do no think "Haddix is the devil"...
Casey won their first district in 50 years. From an outsider, why would you leave any successful program to go to that? Not too appealing IMO.
I think this job will be a attractive job for coordinators/assistant coaches looking for their first gig. With the right staff and community support, Casey will be fine.
Casey will be what we will be. With the right coach we'll be able to play with some teams above our talent level, and hopefully win the games we are dead even with talent. That's all 85% of teams in the state are. Then you have our top 15% or so that are almost always going to win with their better talent, and often will win facing even greater talent, because of tradition, coaching, and sheer confidence. I saw a team a few years ago that only won about 2 ball games, actually as talented (or almost) as Corbin. Corbin put a running clock on them in the 1st quarter. So tradition does mean a lot, coaching means a lot, but it's always going to be who gets in the talent. Who has something in their little county, town, etc.. to offer a student to come there, or for a good coach to come coach there, etc.. Casey County has one thing to prove to me, do we care about the sport enough to try? Hell I can drive 10 extra minutes and watch Boyle and have even more places to feed my fat ***. :-)
(01-05-2023, 07:39 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]Casey won their first district in 50 years. From an outsider, why would you leave any successful program to go to that? Not too appealing IMO.

I'll be honest, when I first read this comment I pretty much agreed with it.  After thinking about it a couple of days I think I've changed my mind.  Depending on administrative support, and I have NO idea how good that is, there may be no better time ever to come to Casey County.  What Stoney did was show that Casey can compete.  Maybe not at the highest level yet, but they can win some games.  The right guy may be able to take the program and keep building.  Keep pushing the level of commitment and build on what has been done so far.  Wayne County is an example of doing just that.  Similar in demographics and size.  The right coach may just take the program to another level.  Why not Casey !
(01-07-2023, 10:17 PM)BEChargers Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2023, 07:39 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]Casey won their first district in 50 years. From an outsider, why would you leave any successful program to go to that? Not too appealing IMO.

I'll be honest, when I first read this comment I pretty much agreed with it.  After thinking about it a couple of days I think I've changed my mind.  Depending on administrative support, and I have NO idea how good that is, there may be no better time ever to come to Casey County.  What Stoney did was show that Casey can compete.  Maybe not at the highest level yet, but they can win some games.  The right guy may be able to take the program and keep building.  Keep pushing the level of commitment and build on what has been done so far.  Wayne County is an example of doing just that.  Similar in demographics and size.  The right coach may just take the program to another level.  Why not Casey !
Would give my left pinky finger if Shawn Thompson would come out of retirement and shoot up the road to come coach Casey County. Lol. First I like him personally, good man. And he has got so much out of his teams while he was there. I'm sure that will never happen, but sure would've been cool.
Job should go offline this week. (Was originally the plan to keep it posted 15 days.) We will see. Each week is a wasted week to begin the new coaches off-season workouts. Should be movement here soon.
(01-08-2023, 09:39 PM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: [ -> ]Job should go offline this week. (Was originally the plan to keep it posted 15 days.) We will see. Each week is a wasted week to begin the new coaches off-season workouts. Should be movement here soon.
This is good news. Get the players acclimated to their new/old coach. Lol
(01-09-2023, 07:18 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-08-2023, 09:39 PM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: [ -> ]Job should go offline this week. (Was originally the plan to keep it posted 15 days.) We will see. Each week is a wasted week to begin the new coaches off-season workouts. Should be movement here soon.

Any word on Coach Cross? Is he staying around?
(01-09-2023, 07:48 PM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2023, 07:18 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]

Any word on Coach Cross? Is he staying around?
I hope so! Coach has been loyal to the bone at Casey and his drive from his home to work SUCKS. Not many I know who would do that, to coach ball, and then he supports most of our other sports as well in attendance. I was hoping he'd be our HC, and do hope it ends up being him. Players love him, and assistants they would be much more willing to stay if Cross gets the job. His experience is second to none. His players love him.
Any Updates On the Job
Pages: 1 2