Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Leslie 64 Owsley 62
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A great game between two of the best in the region.
Very good back and forth game, I think the 2 best teams in the 14th right now from what I’ve seen. Owsley almost put one in from halfcourt to end game but bounced out. I have to say tho if the game goes 2 more minutes I think Owsley wins. Leslie looked bad winded down stretch. Look forward to a rematch, should see each other again back at Leslie during All A tournament assuming both teams reach each other in finals in about 3 weeks
This was a great game to watch and only a preview of what is to come in the battle between these two teams as the season continues. 

I am shocked that Owsley's press was so effective. LC has multiple good guards that are good ball handlers but sometimes thats how it goes. Between the press and one of Owsleys players hitting a few threes in a row towards the end is what kept the Owls in the game, at one point LC was up by 10 and I thought they might put it away. Kuddos to the Owls for not giving up and playing hard. 

As always, Go Eagles!!
I went to the game last night, Letcher and Perry can beat either team on a decent night.
(12-23-2022, 01:37 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I went to the game last night, Letcher and Perry can beat either team on a decent night.
I disagree but time will tell
(12-23-2022, 02:36 PM)Boogie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2022, 01:37 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I went to the game last night, Letcher and Perry can beat either team on a decent night.
I disagree but time will tell
I will also disagree Duke. I do think that there is some truth that PCC and LCC could beat either team but I do not think it would be on a "decent" night. I think PCC and LCC would have to play a great game while Leslie and Owsley would have to play pretty darn poor. 

But as Boogie said, only time will tell.
Okay.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but these are the two best teams in the region imo.
Perry is good, though. Very physical team. If the officiating is called loosely and they are allowed to body check on defense they are very good. I’d place them at 3rd, Letcher 4th and Knott 5th. 
Leslie’s 3 point shooting was superb last night. I think they made around 8 or 9. Owsley missed some easy inside shots that they normally make and weren’t as sharp at the free throw line as they usually are or they would have won this game. They had a long 3 attempt at the horn for the win that almost went in. One heck of a game! 
I think this game proves that Carly Smith and Courtney Hoskins are the two best guards in the region and Addison Terry is in the discussion too. As far as which team is best it is a tossup. They will almost certainly play two more times and possibly three.

I have to disagree.  Any of top 5/6 teams can beat one another on a given night.  But Perry will need way more than a decent night.  They will need their A game to pull a win over either Leslie or Owsley.    

Leslie, Owsley, Perry are top of region.  Knott, Letcher fall in the 4/5 range.
(12-23-2022, 02:48 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]
Okay.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but these are the two best teams in the region imo.
Perry is good, though. Very physical team. If the officiating is called loosely and they are allowed to body check on defense they are very good. I’d place them at 3rd, Letcher 4th and Knott 5th. 
Leslie’s 3 point shooting was superb last night. I think they made around 8 or 9. Owsley missed some easy inside shots that they normally make and weren’t as sharp at the free throw line as they usually are or they would have won this game. They had a long 3 attempt at the horn for the win that almost went in. One heck of a game! 
I think this game proves that Carly Smith and Courtney Hoskins are the two best guards in the region and Addison Terry is in the discussion too. As far as which team is best it is a tossup. They will almost certainly play two more times and possibly three.
I was wrong about Leslie’s amount of 3’s made. Was told that they and Owsley made the same, 5. It sure seemed like more watching the game streamed on TV. Probably a few of their shots that I thought were 3’s were 2’s.
(12-23-2022, 04:14 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]
Okay.
I was wrong about Leslie’s amount of 3’s made. Was told that they and Owsley made the same, 5. It sure seemed like more watching the game streamed on TV. Probably a few of their shots that I thought were 3’s were 2’s.
Leslie is ranked 33rd in the state in 3pt percentage as a team. They shoot the ball fairly well. I think foul trouble effected Leslie down the stretch with Davidson fouling out. This will be a fun matchup to watch throughout the season.
(12-23-2022, 04:52 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]
Okay.
Leslie is ranked 33rd in the state in 3pt percentage as a team. They shoot the ball fairly well. I think foul trouble effected Leslie down the stretch with Davidson fouling out. This will be a fun matchup to watch throughout the season.
Yes it will. The players from both teams know each other’s well due to the many times they have played one another the past several years and the coaches are friends. Coach Sparks was Coach Smith’s coach at Owsley County when he started guard for the Owls back in the mid ‘90’s. Always a good friendly matchup between the Lady Owls and Lady Eagles. Should be entertaining games the rest of the season and hopefully post season.

(12-23-2022, 04:52 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]
Okay.
Owsley’s state statistics were not on the last KHSAA report due to only having 5 games played and the requirement last week was 8 games. Carly Smith was averaging 22 ppg at the time and Addie Terry almost 20. They both would have been pretty high on the scoring list.
Okay.
Owsley will wipe the floor with Leslie on a neutral floor. Perry and Letcher is behind those 2 teams by a lot. As far as 2 best guards there no way you could have a discussion about best guards in region without mentioning the Caudill girl from Powell. She is 2nd state in scoring and has been dropping 30 n 35 every other night.
You been drinking at the Christmas party WWW? Leslie and Owsley hasn’t played a good average team all year. Perry got thumped twice this week be Conner and Dixie Heights. Beat Assumption. Leslie and Owsley are killing the Home School teams. Powell can’t beat Buckhorn. Merry Christmaa
(12-23-2022, 11:06 PM)WWW Wrote: [ -> ]
Okay.
Owsley will wipe the floor with Leslie on a neutral floor. Perry and Letcher is behind those 2 teams by a lot. As far as 2 best guards there no way you could have a discussion about best guards in region without mentioning the Caudill girl from Powell. She is 2nd state in scoring and has been dropping 30 n 35 every other night.
I agree about Caudill. The 14th has a good core of talented guards.
Good game between the Lady Eagles and Lady Owls. I still take Owls on a neutral floor. LC shot the ball very well last night. Owsley struggled for a couple quarters, but by mid 4th quarter they really turned it up and played like they are capable of. LC was starting to look rough that last quarter. They definitely want to slow the pace down to play with Owsley. Both teams have great guards. The difference was the inside game, and rebounds. LCs E. Napier had a solid game, and really was the difference. OCs big was solid at times as well. The difference Napier a senior, Brown an 8th grader. Give Coach Smith another few weeks working with her and all his other talent and I don’t know if LC will be able to pull out the win again.  

New ratings: 
1.Leslie 
2. Owsley 
3. Perry
4. Knott
5. Letcher 
6. Wolfe 
7. Estill
8. Hazard

With 6-10 being really in any order. 

Should be a fun season to watch
(12-24-2022, 12:46 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]You been drinking at the Christmas party WWW?  Leslie and Owsley hasn’t played a good average team all year.  Perry got thumped twice this week be Conner and Dixie Heights.  Beat Assumption.  Leslie and Owsley are killing the Home School teams.  Powell can’t beat Buckhorn.  Merry Christmaa
Not sure throwing some central/northern ky teams on your schedule and getting beat 20 is proving anything here. Aside from those 3 games you named perry has also played the usual suspects you like to call home school teams. Loss to Jackson co and wins over Whitley, Powell, Estill and Buckhorn, all of which are winnable  games for the top 5 teams in 14th.
Losing by 20 really isn’t all that bad if you know anything about basketball. When it’s 40-50 point loses then there isn’t much hope for a team. Perry did lose their PG and are I guess trying to play a little differently. Leslie and Owsley just getting a ton of easy wins. Can’t really declare them Queens of the region until they beat someone worth a piss. Middle of the pack teams in Central and Northern Ky are 20 points better than all the teams in the 14th most of the time.
Little Schools in the 14th don’t like to challenge themselves very often even when they have a good team. Owsley and Leslie like them big 20 win seasons even if it’s 2 wins vs Cordia, 2 against Red Bird, 2 against Breathitt, 2 vs Jackson City. It really don’t matter who you play I don’t guess but if I had a good team that I thought could get to state and win a few game, I’d grow a sack and play some competition.
(12-24-2022, 12:46 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]You been drinking at the Christmas party WWW?  Leslie and Owsley hasn’t played a good average team all year.  Perry got thumped twice this week be Conner and Dixie Heights.  Beat Assumption.  Leslie and Owsley are killing the Home School teams.  Powell can’t beat Buckhorn.  Merry Christmaa
Not a drinker Dukeboy! The region will come down to Owsley n Leslie when it’s all said and done. If I’m not mistaken It took everything Hazard had to beat Buckhorn on their own floor so I would say Buckhorn isn’t too bad. You have Owsley and Leslie then everyone else. Powell is right in the mix with everyone else. Merry Christmas! Lay off the hateraid
Perry vs Leslie final this year. Good thing Owsley has a guaranteed trip to Region or they wouldn’t get there. Owsley has no depth.
(12-24-2022, 05:01 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: [ -> ]Little Schools in the 14th don’t like to challenge themselves very often even when they have a good team.  Owsley and Leslie like them big 20 win seasons even if it’s 2 wins vs Cordia, 2 against Red Bird, 2 against Breathitt, 2 vs Jackson City.  It really don’t matter who you play I don’t guess but if I had a good team that I thought could get to state and win a few game, I’d grow a sack and play some competition.
Owsley lost a 2 point game at Knox Central, a team that is presently undefeated with wins over Harlan Co and South Laurel (in London). Owsley had a 16 point lead at one time but that team is very good.

Owsley’s schedule has them playing their 6 district games for the seeding of the tournament. They also have a good schedule with two games with Knox Central, West Carter, a tough Houston Erin HS from Nashville in the Gatlinburg Christmas tournament and 2 more I assume worthy opponents to be named later. They also play Leslie probably 2 and maybe 3 more times. Letcher Central is on the schedule as well as a game at Floyd Central. They played at Hazard earlier and might play them again in the All A. They have games with Middlesboro and Whitley Co. I’m sure they could have added a few high power teams from the Central or northern Kentucky but I don’t know what it would have proven. There’s not a team in the 14th region, the weakest region in the state in both boys and girls basketball, that could defeat GRC, Sacred Heart, Bullitt  East, Notre Dame, and the likes. 
Any team in the region can reach out and play a killer schedule which adds nothing to their chances of winning their home regional tournament.

The 14th has won two KHSAA titles, the last about 25 years ago. The likelihood of the region winning one this year is slim to none. Just to get there and maybe win one or two games (with a good draw) is the goal of most in the region I assume. It’s easy to make a goal to win the state championship but sometimes we have to give in to reality. So, a team doesn’t have to load up with a behemoth schedule to win the region. Can’t play a soft schedule either to get tournament ready but I believe Owsley and Leslie have a tough enough schedule. 
Long post but I’m sometimes long winded, lol. Just my humble opinion.

(12-24-2022, 06:16 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: [ -> ]Perry vs Leslie final this year.  Good thing Owsley has a guaranteed trip to Region or they wouldn’t get there.  Owsley has no depth.
Owsley has 7 players they can use. The starters and Kenzie Grubb and Blakesley Whitaker (who hasn’t played much lately while healing up a knee). That’s all a team needs. I’m addition, no team in the region is in better condition than the Lady Owls. They’re just as deep as they need to be. Whitaker played quite a few minutes in last year’s regional tournament at Perry.
(12-24-2022, 05:01 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: [ -> ]Little Schools in the 14th don’t like to challenge themselves very often even when they have a good team.  Owsley and Leslie like them big 20 win seasons even if it’s 2 wins vs Cordia, 2 against Red Bird, 2 against Breathitt, 2 vs Jackson City.  It really don’t matter who you play I don’t guess but if I had a good team that I thought could get to state and win a few game, I’d grow a sack and play some competition.

Just so we are clear Owsley will play only one of those teams you named.  That’s Cordia which is All A which is a blind draw.  Owsley plays Knox twice, LCC, Leslie at least twice, 3 games in Tennessee that will be tough, Floyd Central, Hazard twice.  

No team high school or college will play a top 10 opponent each game.  Theirs needs for confidence builders, required games, etc.

(12-24-2022, 06:16 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: [ -> ]Perry vs Leslie final this year.  Good thing Owsley has a guaranteed trip to Region or they wouldn’t get there.  Owsley has no depth.

Owsley plays 7 players.  They bring an 8th grader off bench that would be a starter for most every team in region.  Kenzie Grubb.  They have another big that comes off bench that has played varsity for past two years and played big minutes in regional final last season.  No team needs more than 7 if all 7 can play like Owsley has.  That’s as deep as any team in region and on top of that the quality of players Owsley has is good too to bottom.

(12-24-2022, 07:39 PM)Streetoutlaw Wrote: [ -> ]

Just so we are clear Owsley will play only one of those teams you named.  That’s Cordia which is All A which is a blind draw.  Owsley plays Knox twice, LCC, Leslie at least twice, 3 games in Tennessee that will be tough, Floyd Central, Hazard twice.  

No team high school or college will play a top 10 opponent each game.  There are needs for confidence builders, required games, etc.

Owsley plays 7 players.  They bring an 8th grader off bench that would be a starter for most every team in region.  Kenzie Grubb.  They have another big that comes off bench that has played varsity for past two years and played big minutes in regional final last season.  No team needs more than 7 if all 7 can play like Owsley has.  That’s as deep as any team in region and on top of that the quality of players Owsley has is good too to bottom.

(12-24-2022, 07:39 PM)Streetoutlaw Wrote: [ -> ]

No team high school or college will play a top 10 opponent each game.  There are needs for confidence builders, required games, etc.

Owsley plays 7 players.  They bring an 8th grader off bench that would be a starter for most every team in region.  Kenzie Grubb.  They have another big that comes off bench that has played varsity for past two years and played big minutes in regional final last season.  No team needs more than 7 if all 7 can play like Owsley has.  That’s as deep as any team in region and on top of that the quality of players Owsley has is good top to bottom.

Idc what some of y’all say. Looks like the coaches are trying to up their career wins status to me. Owsley and Leslie should never play teams like Cordia, Jackson City, and Red Bird unless them teams are unusually good which isn’t the case. Both teams are closer to more talent that Hazard and Perry are so there’s really not much of an excuse. Afraid of competition is about all I can tell. Could be wrong.
(12-25-2022, 01:14 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: [ -> ]Idc what some of y’all say.  Looks like the coaches are trying to up their career wins status to me.  Owsley and Leslie should never play teams like Cordia, Jackson City, and Red Bird unless them teams are unusually good which isn’t the case.  Both teams are closer to more talent that Hazard and Perry are so there’s really not much of an excuse.  Afraid of competition is about all I can tell.  Could be wrong.
Owsley doesn’t play any of those teams you named.  Except cordia in All A.  Blind draw.
(12-25-2022, 01:14 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: [ -> ]Idc what some of y’all say.  Looks like the coaches are trying to up their career wins status to me.  Owsley and Leslie should never play teams like Cordia, Jackson City, and Red Bird unless them teams are unusually good which isn’t the case.  Both teams are closer to more talent that Hazard and Perry are so there’s really not much of an excuse.  Afraid of competition is about all I can tell.  Could be wrong.
Owsley County doesn’t  have “Cordia, Jackson City and Red Bird” on their schedule, unless they play the regional ones in the All A Regional Tournament. Check a schedule occasionally before spouting off inaccuracies, lol.
Maybe I was talking about Leslie? You look at their schedule?
Well looks like Leslie beefed it up a little. Just looked at their schedule. Kudos to Leslie and Owsley for finally taking on some average teams. Snow has definitely melted in both counties.
(12-25-2022, 04:51 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: [ -> ]Well looks like Leslie beefed it up a little.  Just looked at their schedule.  Kudos to Leslie and Owsley for finally taking on some average teams.  Snow has definitely melted in both counties.
Tongue  Like
(12-25-2022, 04:51 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: [ -> ]Well looks like Leslie beefed it up a little.  Just looked at their schedule.  Kudos to Leslie and Owsley for finally taking on some average teams.  Snow has definitely melted in both counties.

owsleys schedule could have been a little tougher but to act like it’s cake walk ain’t very fair either. Maybe your bulldogs need to schedule more teams like Cordia & Redbird, seems like they are getting beat by double digits often. As for Owsleys Depth, they have 7 good players. 5 or 6 great, 3 of which are extremely young I believe Terry is a freshmen and other two are eighth graders. They are only going to get better as the year goes on and they get more experience. Leslie has some great players. The younger Napier that comes off the bench has a bright future, and in my opinion is one of their top 5. With the Owls having such a young team Coach Smith knew what he was doing by not scheduling a dozen powerhouse teams. Give them young girls some time to get experience and grow. 

On another note I would agree with someone earlier who said Powell was being looked over. And I think Estill is better than most people rank them.
I don’t understand why all the talk about Owsley and their schedule. To win the regionals your gonna have to go threw them. That’s a fact!!
Pages: 1 2