Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who will win the 59th district?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I believe this is the most competitive district in the 15th region. So who will take the trophy home this year?
David isnt even in district play this year. East Ridge is missing a few key players to make a serious bid for it. Pikeville will be behind Shelby Valley who in my opinion are the favorites to win it. If Shelby Valley has a off night, it could be Pikevilles for the taking though.
Take into mind before you decide that district is being played at Shelby Valley this year, so that will definitely be a key factor for the decision, I know the Pikeville faithful will still say they can pull it off even though the last team to beat Valley at Valley was Lex. Catholic about 5 years ago, but other people will decide that it being played at Valley is a big factor.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Take into mind before you decide that district is being played at Shelby Valley this year, so that will definitely be a key factor for the decision, I know the Pikeville faithful will still say they can pull it off even though the last team to beat Valley at Valley was Lex. Catholic about 5 years ago, but other people will decide that it being played at Valley is a big factor.
I agree with you on it being a key factor. But I also think that if Shelby Valley goes into it taking the game lightly, then it may be a upset in the making. Shelby Valley is the favorite right now. Anything can happen over the course of the season to change that. But I still think the district and the 15th are going to come down to Shelby Valley and Pikeville again.
I hope Valley and Pikeville aren't in two different brackets, I don't think any districts should be in different brackets, if you couldn't win your district, you should have to play in the bracket with your district winner in it to make it to the regional championship. Like last year, Pikeville's bracket was by far the easier of the two.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:I hope Valley and Pikeville aren't in two different brackets, I don't think any districts should be in different brackets, if you couldn't win your district, you should have to play in the bracket with your district winner in it to make it to the regional championship. Like last year, Pikeville's bracket was by far the easier of the two.
That is what the brackets are drawn up to prevent. If Shelby Valley and Pikeville represent the 59th, then they can only meet in the championship game of the regions.
And that really isn't fair, the NFL, NBA, high level sports prevent teams from the same section meeting in the championship, and it should be this way in Kentucky high school basketball.
I think it is good at giving a indication as to which district is the strongest in a region. Last season when it was a all 59th final, it seems like that would have been the strongest one. This year and next I am expecting a all 59th finals for the regions.
If Shelby Valley stays healthy they win the district easily.....

Does Pikeville have some key players not coming out?
People have said Harmon isn't playing but I think he will.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:I hope Valley and Pikeville aren't in two different brackets, I don't think any districts should be in different brackets, if you couldn't win your district, you should have to play in the bracket with your district winner in it to make it to the regional championship. Like last year, Pikeville's bracket was by far the easier of the two.
WHAT???? This doesn't make much sense. Please explain this a little better. Are you saying P-SV should be in the same bracket..if so that is insane!!! Districts are always separated!!! Also, beating Betsy Layne (barely) then Belfry isn't any harder than beating Magoffin Co. then Allen Central.
Betsy Lane and Belfry are much harder opponents year in and year out than Magoffin and AC. Remember, on SV's side, Belfry beat out Paintsville in the first round, and people were even predicting them to win the region.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Betsy Lane and Belfry are much harder opponents year in and year out than Magoffin and AC. Remember, on SV's side, Belfry beat out Paintsville in the first round, and people were even predicting them to win the region.
People have been predicting Paintsville to win it for the last three years. With that line of thinking, Betsy Layne was supposed to get blown out and they almost pulled a upset. That is why I am saying this. Shelby Valley is the preseason favorite, but if they take a team lightly, they could be in trouble.
I heard Harmon is not playing!!!
I think he may be leaning in the direction of not playing. But I dont think he knows for sure yet. I do know he is a competitor and I personally think it would be hard for him to sit in the stands and watch a game knowing he could be playing.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I agree with you on it being a key factor. But I also think that if Shelby Valley goes into it taking the game lightly, then it may be a upset in the making. Shelby Valley is the favorite right now. Anything can happen over the course of the season to change that. But I still think the district and the 15th are going to come down to Shelby Valley and Pikeville again.
IMO, it may not take SV taking Pikeville "lightly" for Pikeville to win, depending on how well they replace Jacob Sword and how much Devan Adams improves...last year Pikeville was only a step or two behind Valley when both were playing their best games (i.e. the region championship), and depending on how well Bell can step up and if Harmon will play (which I think he will though maybe not at the begining of the season) and how well Adams plays, the games between them may be all out wars.
one of the toughest district in the state but im gonna give it valley
woodson Wrote:one of the toughest district in the state but im gonna give it valley

Smile I might have to disagree with you about it being one of the toughest districts in the state.
Pikeville plays hard and you can tell they want to beat Valley badly....but Valley just flat out has better players.
woodson Wrote:one of the toughest district in the state but im gonna give it valley

alfus21 Wrote:Smile I might have to disagree with you about it being one of the toughest districts in the state.

The 59th does have possibly the two best teams in the entire region in Valley and Pikeville, which kinda sucks for East Ridge. Because of those two teams, it would have to be considered one of the toughest districts in the mountains, but certainly not in the entire state.