Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region Rankings- Week #3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

1. Perry- @ Martin Co, @ Hazard, Harlan Ind
  2. Breathitt- @ Wolfe, McCreary Central
  3. Hazard- Owsley, Perry, Pike Central
  4. Estill- Morgan Co
  5. Letcher- @ Knott, @ Cordia, @ Marion Co
  6. Wolfe- @ Owsley, Breathitt
  7. Lee- Powell, @ Owsley, OBI
  8. Knott- Letcher, Buckhorn, Western Hills
  9. Buckhorn- Jackson City, Knott, LIGON
  10. Leslie- Franklin Classical School,
  11. Jackson City- @ Buckhorn, Powell, Barbourville
  12. Powell- @ Lee, @ Jackson City, @ Prestonsburg
  13. Owsley- Wolfe, @ Hazard, Lee
  14. Cordia- Letcher, Middlesboro
Once again, these are my rankings with the games they have schedule this week so far. I know it is early and I don’t think any team is at 100%, but I do think Perry holds the #1 spot as of now. Some good games scheduled this week throughout the region. 
Big Hazard/Perry match up this week will tell us a lot about those two.
Top 5 right now

Perry
Hazard
Breathitt
Letcher
Estill

I think Breathitt is #2 right now but with the injury to Sperry I think Hazard is better today. A healthy Bobcats is better than Hazard rn imo. Perry the clear cut #1 but I look to see Breathitt being up there as the season moves along.
Perry is going to be tough to beat. Hard to figure what is happening at Breathitt right now
(12-12-2022, 02:49 PM)BigBadBobcat Wrote: [ -> ]Top 5 right now

Perry
Hazard
Breathitt
Letcher
Estill

I think Breathitt is #2 right now but with the injury to Sperry I think Hazard is better today. A healthy Bobcats is better than Hazard rn imo. Perry the clear cut #1 but I look to see Breathitt being up there as the season moves along.
Personally, I wouldn't even put Breathitt in the top 5. They beat a decent Martin County team, but they got embarrassed by both Harlan teams over the weekend. Collins is playing as good as anyone, and he has improved drastically this off season. Sperry will get going, and his injury will be a minor set back. He is still shaking off the rust from a long football season, but I look for him to be in mid season form here in a couple of weeks. The key for Breathitt to make a run lies in the hands of Bellamy and Combs. Those guys have to get shots and when they get shots, they have to knock them down. They both are going to have to get more aggressive and it needs to start on the defensive end. Hoskins needs to get in better shape, but he has played good in spurts. Personally, the biggest question I have is, concerning B.B.'s health. Can he physically and mentally handle the job, with him being sick? If he is healthy there is no other coach I would rather have in the 14th, but he did very little in game coaching this past weekend. He had to have help walking and getting up and down during timeouts. To me this is a concern, especially if no other assistants are going to step in and give these boys direction during a game. There is no excuse on how Breathitt performed this weekend, and hopefully it's a humbling experience for the players and coaches.
BB is a legend but whoever hired him didn’t look at the big picture. Should have found a healthy established coach. Should have kept John Noble and left him alone.
(12-13-2022, 11:56 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]BB is a legend but whoever hired him didn’t look at the big picture.  Should have found a healthy established coach.  Should have kept John Noble and left him alone.
I agree with this… another question I have is, why don’t they hire a younger coach? Look at how well that has helped Pikeville. Breathitt average coach age is around 50 I say. I feel like it would do good to get someone in high 20’s or low 30’s to relate to the kids and the newer playing styles. Don’t know how good it would do but wouldn’t hurt to look into for next coach!
(12-13-2022, 10:46 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I wouldn't even put Breathitt in the top 5. They beat a decent Martin County team, but they got embarrassed by both Harlan teams over the weekend. Collins is playing as good as anyone, and he has improved drastically this off season. Sperry will get going, and his injury will be a minor set back. He is still shaking off the rust from a long football season, but I look for him to be in mid season form here in a couple of weeks. The key for Breathitt to make a run lies in the hands of Bellamy and Combs. Those guys have to get shots and when they get shots, they have to knock them down. They both are going to have to get more aggressive and it needs to start on the defensive end. Hoskins needs to get in better shape, but he has played good in spurts. Personally, the biggest question I have is, concerning B.B.'s health. Can he physically and mentally handle the job, with him being sick? If he is healthy there is no other coach I would rather have in the 14th, but he did very little in game coaching this past weekend. He had to have help walking and getting up and down during timeouts. To me this is a concern, especially if no other assistants are going to step in and give these boys direction during a game. There is no excuse on how Breathitt performed this weekend, and hopefully it's a humbling experience for the players and coaches.
I would have to agree. Another thread says BB is taking some sick time off. Hopefully he'll bounce back. I'm pretty sure assistant coaches are only allowed to stand during time outs or in recognition of a good play etc. to be up coaching during play you have to have head coach certification. Think BB is the only one certified.hopefully things level out and Breathitt gets on track.
(12-13-2022, 10:46 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I wouldn't even put Breathitt in the top 5. They beat a decent Martin County team, but they got embarrassed by both Harlan teams over the weekend. Collins is playing as good as anyone, and he has improved drastically this off season. Sperry will get going, and his injury will be a minor set back. He is still shaking off the rust from a long football season, but I look for him to be in mid season form here in a couple of weeks. The key for Breathitt to make a run lies in the hands of Bellamy and Combs. Those guys have to get shots and when they get shots, they have to knock them down. They both are going to have to get more aggressive and it needs to start on the defensive end. Hoskins needs to get in better shape, but he has played good in spurts. Personally, the biggest question I have is, concerning B.B.'s health. Can he physically and mentally handle the job, with him being sick? If he is healthy there is no other coach I would rather have in the 14th, but he did very little in game coaching this past weekend. He had to have help walking and getting up and down during timeouts. To me this is a concern, especially if no other assistants are going to step in and give these boys direction during a game. There is no excuse on how Breathitt performed this weekend, and hopefully it's a humbling experience for the players and coaches.
Agree with about everything you said. I agree Collins is playing good. Hoskins in spurts until he’s tired. Combs and both Bellamy’s are going to have to step up this is their last go around. However, sperry had been playing ball all summer and some during football season with a travel team. Shouldn’t be the rust he’s been showing. He hasn’t had a good showing this season. This team is a mess right now with everything going on. These boys are all hold back seniors. They are going to have to step up and take control and turn this team around. It’s still early and I really think they will find their identity and compete.
(12-13-2022, 11:56 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]BB is a legend but whoever hired him didn’t look at the big picture.  Should have found a healthy established coach.  Should have kept John Noble and left him alone.
Sperry needs to slow down and he will be fine. He is still playing good but just playing too fast. If he doesn’t score 30 points a game people say he’s playing terrible. Sperry might be leading teams in rebounds and if not he’s 2nd and he’s leading team in assist. Collins has been playing good all year, Luke Bellamy needs to get back to his shooting like the previous years, Andrew Combs needs to keep playing hard and knock down open shots, Issac Bellamy needs to knock down shots when he is in and Hoskins needs to get quicker for them to have success in man to man but I guess it’s a little late for that. Hoskins is a beast on the offense side and is prolly their smartest player. Just hard to play him when he can’t get up and down the court. I look for them to be where they need to be by the end of the year.
Not basing my opinion about sperrys play on points alone. Against Martin he had 9 turnovers and 6 pts. Anytime you have more turnovers than pts is a poor performance in my assessment. What you think.

I think I’ve been complaining about his turnovers ever since he’s been playing. He averages about 5 or more turnovers a game. A dunk or trick shot is 2 points.
(12-13-2022, 05:41 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: [ -> ]Not basing my opinion about sperrys play on points alone. Against Martin he had 9 turnovers and 6 pts. Anytime you have more turnovers than pts is a poor performance in my assessment. What you think.

I think I’ve been complaining about his turnovers ever since he’s been playing. He averages about 5 or more turnovers a game. A dunk or trick shot is 2 points.
As I was stating. If he slowed down he would limit those turnovers. He tries to do too much when nothing is working. I think the Bellamy’s and Combs need to start knocking shots down and it will make the whole offense open up. 2-20 from three in 1 game is not getting it done.
Well I got some bad news for you. He only has one gear. As for the combs and Bellamy’s they have been terrible this year so far
The 14th is way down this year.

My top 5 right now
1 hazard
2 Perry
3 letcher
4 breathit
5 Estill
(12-14-2022, 12:16 AM)Tailback44 Wrote: [ -> ]The 14th is way down this year.

My top 5 right now
1 hazard
2 Perry
3 letcher
4 breathit
5 Estill
Same rankings I have. Perry ,Hazard and Letcher are the best 3 teams right now. Breathitt has the talent but haven’t played well so far.
The region isnt as weak as everyone thinks. Lot of injuries and players still getting back from football. Time will tell how it stacks up.
My list is ,,,,
Breathitt
Perry
Letcher
Hazard

Breathitt no matter how bad still has the most talent and that matters. Perry is battle tested with an injured leader. Letcher is the new kid on the block that seems to be the hardest playing team in the mountains and well coached. Hazard is still hazard they control the game and are physical.
Perry vs Hazard again wont show alot due to injuries on Perry. However, Perry has been good so far this season. Wolfe vs Breathitt will show somethings if everyone is healthy. Letcher vs Cordia wont be a game but they beat knott by 30 at Knott. Hazard is still in football mode for now but coming.