Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Semi Final Blowouts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So should we just allow 1 seeds in playoffs?  Blowouts in semi finals has to be a flawed system right?
Go to 4 or 5 classes.
Or ….we just stop talking about this and let the kids enjoy a kids game
The number of classes does need to be reduced so a state title means something. Having this many running clocks in state semifinal games is pretty ridiculous.
Get rid RPI.. Nothing changes, so at least save long drives
We do have too many classes. We should never have a running clock in a state semifinal game. No disrespect to those teams but they should have been beat out weeks ago if not for this watered down system. How many of the games were ever in question?
I'm predicting at least 1 more running clock in the finals. I could see as many as 3 games, 1a, 3a and 5a, having a running clock or at least close to it. After all the build up it's just a let down not to see more competitive games. Hopefully I'm wrong about some of these finals matchups but the only ones I am really looking forward to are 2a and 4a.

(11-26-2022, 12:47 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]Or ….we just stop talking about this and let the kids enjoy a kids game
I doubt if any of the NCC, Holy Cross, Lloyd or Ashland kids had much fun last night.

During my playing days which was before the running clock we were blown out 1 time. I had zero fun during the game. It took me a couple weeks to mentally get over the beat down we received. Don't see how any kid would enjoy that.
6 classes is just too many, 4 classes was perfect.
Field of Dreams keep the 6 classes
(11-26-2022, 10:34 AM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]We do have too many classes.  We should never have a running clock in a state semifinal game. No disrespect to those teams but they should have been beat out weeks ago if not for this watered down system. How many of the games were ever in question?
I'm predicting at least 1 more running clock in the finals. I could see as many as 3 games, 1a, 3a and 5a, having a running clock or at least close to it. After all the build up it's just a let down not to see more competitive games. Hopefully I'm wrong about some of these finals matchups but the only ones I am really looking forward to are 2a and 4a.

(11-26-2022, 12:47 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]Or ….we just stop talking about this and let the kids enjoy a kids game
I doubt if any of the NCC, Holy Cross, Lloyd or Ashland kids had much fun last night.

During my playing days which was before the running clock we were blown out 1 time. I had zero fun during the game. It took me a couple weeks to mentally get over the beat down we received. Don't see how any kid would enjoy that.

But you realize there were running clocks in the years of 4 classes as well, right?  

In Boyle's run to 5 straight it was during 4 Classes.  Rebels pasted defending champ Middlesboro in '99, 66-14.  In '00 it was 56-8 over Prestonsburg.  

How many blowouts did HHS or Trinity have in the semi-finals?  

Class numbers are fuel to the thought but there were blowouts long before there were 6 classes.
(11-26-2022, 10:34 AM)Hi wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]We do have too many classes.  We should never have a running clock in a state semifinal game. No disrespect to those teams but they should have been beat out weeks ago if not for this watered down system. How many of the games were ever in question?

I wonder how many kids that was on teams last night that was on the wrong side of a running clock would say …..nah I wish I never got the opportunity to play that game. I wish they would change the system so I never had the chance to play 14 games of a sport I love my senior year. Is this really you mentality on this?? I can’t understand the philosophy of taking games away from kids makes things better. Unbelievable
6 classes is too many but it gives more kids the opportunity to have a state championship experience, which I’m all for. Blowouts are blowouts. They are inevitable and unavoidable. Time for us to stop talking about it.
This is high school football whether there are four classes or six classes blowouts are going to happen. I am pretty sure when there were four classes in Kentucky there were plenty of blowouts. The only difference between now and then is social media.
Those kids who were on the receiving end of the blowouts last night I am sure will be over it before the end of the weekend. In a couple of years they will realize how lucky they were playing in the semifinal round and they will be proud of their accomplishments.
Any team that advances to the Semifinal round is playoff worthy.

I defiantly stick by my claim that Lynn Camp at Pikeville first round games have no business taking place. No one wants to watch that, except for the Plant guy and maybe a couple other sadists . Add an additional game to the regular season if it makes you feel better but get rid of that first-round nonsense.
Blowouts happen. Ashland ran into a very talented team that is playing great football. I bet if you asked those players if they wanted to practice this week and go back and play them again they all would say yes.
Ultimately nothing is going to change based on what we think is best for “competing balance”

Who cares if they have 6 state champions? I’m happy we do that. You open up the opportunity for multiple kids to experience that.

If you reduce the classes I promise you there are areas of the state where football will become hard to keep going- NEKY for example. My Raceland could not win a class that added Beechwood, Mayfield, LCA, Etc. Same for the others in the area. Just don’t have the resources other areas of the state do.

No reason to eliminate two classes because one year we had some uncompetitive games in the semis one year. A state title means something to the kids. I guarantee you they’re not going to be 35 one day and be like “well I won a state championship in high school but it was in a 6 class system so it really doesn’t mean much”
(11-26-2022, 12:12 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2022, 10:34 AM)Hi wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]We do have too many classes.  We should never have a running clock in a state semifinal game. No disrespect to those teams but they should have been beat out weeks ago if not for this watered down system. How many of the games were ever in question?

I wonder how many kids that was on teams last night that was on the wrong side of a running clock would say …..nah I wish I never got the opportunity to play that game. I wish they would change the system so I never had the chance to play 14 games of a sport I love my senior year. Is this really you mentality on this?? I can’t understand the philosophy of taking games away from kids makes things better. Unbelievable
I bet there are more than you think. Why would you want your high school career to end getting beat by 50 4 hrs from home?
Ironton won 35 -21 ….we are trying to mimic ohios set up and they even have blowouts! I guess we need to fix their playoff situation as well hahah
I won't consider 35-21 a blowout.

I'm all for the kids playing as many games as they possible can but at least to me there is no fun getting beat 50-7.
(11-26-2022, 03:06 PM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2022, 10:34 AM)Hi wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]We do have too many classes.  We should never have a running clock in a state semifinal game. No disrespect to those teams but they should have been beat out weeks ago if not for this watered down system. How many of the games were ever in question?

I bet there are more than you think. Why would you want your high school career to end getting beat by 50 4 hrs from home?
Hahah you’re crazy. Any kid that was playing in week 14 would never say they didn’t wanna be there. I would bet money hahaha you must’ve played for a bad coach
(11-26-2022, 03:11 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]Ironton won 35 -21 ….we are trying to mimic ohios set up and they even have blowouts! I guess we need to fix their playoff situation as well hahah

Ohio has 7 state champs for a population of 12 million.  Kentucky has 6 state champs for a population of 4 million.

If Kentucky mimics Ohio, then Kentucky should have 3 state champs based on their population.
(11-26-2022, 03:24 PM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2022, 03:11 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]Ironton won 35 -21 ….we are trying to mimic ohios set up and they even have blowouts! I guess we need to fix their playoff situation as well hahah

Ohio has 7 state champs for a population of 12 million.  Kentucky has 6 state champs for a population of 4 million.

If Kentucky mimics Ohio, then Kentucky should have 3 state champs based on their population.
I agree with this but….it seems we are trying to do things the way Ohio does it
Instead of reducing classes, make more. There are plenty of "tweener" counties or schools. Go to 8, screw it. Not much different to me in 4, 6, or 8 different champions. Not everyone needs a trophy, but this still gives more kids a chance and MAYBE less blowouts.

Speaking of blowouts and 4 classes...Would you want your team to get blown out 7 times out of 10 in regular season in a 4 class system, or to maybe go 7-3, fan attendance up and great money for school athletics, then maybe lose 1 bad blowout in the playoff. I'll take the lesser of evils, and lose in the playoff as opposed to getting stuck in a district with 3 or 4 powerhouse 4A's
(11-26-2022, 01:23 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Any team that advances to the Semifinal round is playoff worthy.

I defiantly stick by my claim that Lynn Camp at Pikeville  first round games have no business taking place.  No one wants to watch that, except for the Plant guy and maybe a couple other sadists .  Add an additional game to the regular season if it makes you feel better but get rid of that first-round nonsense.
I could get behind this.  Teams in a district of 4 teams and they all make the playoffs even if winless is stupid.  Add another regular season game and take the top 2 in each district.  Play the opposite district for the region title and go from there.  There is absolutely no reason for a 0-10 team to be in the playoffs period.   Or top 3 and 1 seed gets a buy i dont know but an 0-10 1-9 team shouldn't be awarded the playoffs.  

This won't stop the blowouts later on but some of these 1st round games won't happen at least.

As far as semifinal blowouts.  I believe the usual suspects that are doing it are just that much better than the competition they are playing.  Beechwood is an example.  They been on vacation 1st 4 rounds this yr.  Its not their fault they are what they are.  If the rest of us can't compete that's our problem not theirs.
Couple of things.

Kentuckys playoff system is as flawed as it will ever get.

RPI is the main reason.

Why have mandatory district that you have to play? Then if you win those games not give you credit for the win and make you play on the road? Then let those same district game hurt you?

Either go straight RPI and do away with districts or let district wins count in head to head games in the post season.

Kentucky also has to set a standard for hosting post season games. Seating capacity, surface condition, parking, locker rooms, clocks, etc.

That would require hard questions and answers thought of local boards not spending money on students.
Pikeville has been Raceland’s most historical wins to date.
2013 Regional
2017 State Semis
2022 ???
(11-26-2022, 03:12 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2022, 03:06 PM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]

Hahah you’re crazy. Any kid that was playing in week 14 would never say they didn’t wanna be there. I would bet money hahaha you must’ve played for a bad coach

I guess you got me there. I don't know how he is still coaching after all these years. I guess over 300 wins and 3 state titles doesn't qualify you as a good coach. Oh yeah that 42 game winning streak was nothing either.
I think Kentucky needs to go away from districts and use something other than the RPI to seed the top 16 teams in each class. Personally, I would count the number of wins each team has minus their loses, and count that as a team's power rating. A 5-5 team has a 0 rating, while a 10-0 team has a 10 rating, and a 0-10 team has a -10 rating. Now combine the ratings number for all the teams you beat. For the teams that you lose two, subtract the number of losses the teams that beat you have. Reward teams for playing great teams and winning, but don't overly punish them for losing to a great team. At least that would reward playing tougher teams. Let them play out from there. This is similar to West Virginia's system.

Hazard is clearly the 3rd best team in the state, but the loaded east will always knock a championship contender out weeks early. Over the past few years, Paintsville would have been considered in this issue as well. Last year, Sayre was considered a top five team and had to play Hazard week one of the playoffs. Last season would have been really fun to have seen Pikeville as a one seed, Russellville as a two seed, Hazard as the three seed, Raceland as a four seed, Paintsville as a five seed, Sayre as a six seed, Bethlehem as a seven seed, Williamsburg as an eight seed, etc... Would have made for some really fun playoff games. As for this year, the depth was just simply gone. If you had seeded teams, Pikeville would have probably still played Newport Central Catholic this week but at least Hazard and Raceland would have given us a better semi-final game on the other side.