Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Maroon Madness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Was held Friday November 9th. I didn't get to go. How was it and what all went down?
I don't know how it went but it looked like a bunch of people were over there after the football game.
There was a big crowd. Between the lights,smoke,music, it was a very entertaining show.
To be honest I thought it was pretty "Bush league" for coach williams to have all this stuff during our PLAYOFF game. Real classy!?!?!?!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:To be honest I thought it was pretty "Bush league" for coach williams to have all this stuff during our PLAYOFF game. Real classy!?!?!?!
Lol normally i agree with you but I don't think too much of it.. The game was ending as it was starting and it's one way to get a good size crowd. Coach W is smart and he knows the crowd will always be good at a football game so he figures you could get a good size to go over to the gym after the game. I'm pumped for the playoffs and bball season!!! Why can't we all just get along lol??:confused:
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:There was a big crowd. Between the lights,smoke,music, it was a very entertaining show.
Any video? If so, it should definately hit youtube or a DVD lol.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:To be honest I thought it was pretty "Bush league" for coach williams to have all this stuff during our PLAYOFF game. Real classy!?!?!?!

It wasn't Coach Williams, it was the entire basketball program-boys & girls. It was held with a dinner before the football game and the madness after so Pikeville fans could enjoy both. Football/basketball players were recognized in street clothes at the event. Originally it was planned for the same night as the Paintsville game and it was moved to the first playoff game so as not to conflict with football senior night. If they hadn't had that event there would have been even less at the football game. It's no reflection on the PHS football team, but not many people are going to sit out in weather like that to watch them drill Allen Central. There was nothing going on in the gym during the football game except a team from Ohio borrowing the gym to practice in. I don't recall UK waiting until football season is over to hold their Midnight Madness. Hopefully Panther Football will be playing a few weeks after basketball season begins and finish up in Louisville. Are you anti-basketball Hail Pikeville? It sure seems like it lately..............:confused:
That's funny, the ticket to the madness event read...5:30-7:00-Chili Dinner, 7:30 Playoff Football Game-Pikeville vs. Allen Central, 10:15 Maroon Madness. So what is the problem?? It appears to me that the football game was getting more promotion than it normally would have. You must have a really big problem with the basketball program right now! Maybe you should sit down and talk to Williams and Rowe and quit hiding behind your BGR name! It might do you some good!!!
Big Grin Come on guys let's not get into another Basketball vs. Football thread. Let's look at the positives of the event.
bball fan Wrote:That's funny, the ticket to the madness event read...5:30-7:00-Chili Dinner, 7:30 Playoff Football Game-Pikeville vs. Allen Central, 10:15 Maroon Madness. So what is the problem?? It appears to me that the football game was getting more promotion than it normally would have. You must have a really big problem with the basketball program right now! Maybe you should sit down and talk to Williams and Rowe and quit hiding behind your BGR name! It might do you some good!!!
Why sit down and talk to Coach Williams and ROWE? Why not just Coach Williams? He should be the one in charge of all basketball activities.
ukbadmammajamma Wrote:It wasn't Coach Williams, it was the entire basketball program-boys & girls. It was held with a dinner before the football game and the madness after so Pikeville fans could enjoy both. Football/basketball players were recognized in street clothes at the event. Originally it was planned for the same night as the Paintsville game and it was moved to the first playoff game so as not to conflict with football senior night. If they hadn't had that event there would have been even less at the football game. It's no reflection on the PHS football team, but not many people are going to sit out in weather like that to watch them drill Allen Central. There was nothing going on in the gym during the football game except a team from Ohio borrowing the gym to practice in. I don't recall UK waiting until football season is over to hold their Midnight Madness. Hopefully Panther Football will be playing a few weeks after basketball season begins and finish up in Louisville. Are you anti-basketball Hail Pikeville? It sure seems like it lately..............:confused:
Let's hope it's more than just a few weeks. Also, why would the coach schedule a basketball game with P-Burg on the same day as our state football finals?
Elwayfan Wrote:Let's hope it's more than just a few weeks. Also, why would the coach schedule a basketball game with P-Burg on the same day as our state football finals?
Probably the same reason P-burgs coach did.
Elwayfan Wrote:Why sit down and talk to Coach Williams and ROWE? Why not just Coach Williams? He should be the one in charge of all basketball activities.
because Hail Pikeville has been crying about Rowe tailgating at the games in other threads, now he is crying about Williams in this one. It is no wonder that a lot of kids are not playing football, and it is no wonder that the fans have quit attending the football games....attitudes like this.....very sad!! You had better change your ways because from what I hear the b-ball madness crowd was bigger than the football game!!
Keep this on topic guys!
bball fan Wrote:because Hail Pikeville has been crying about Rowe tailgating at the games in other threads, now he is crying about Williams in this one. It is no wonder that a lot of kids are not playing football, and it is no wonder that the fans have quit attending the football games....attitudes like this.....very sad!! You had better change your ways because from what I hear the b-ball madness crowd was bigger than the football game!!
Are you referring to me or HAIL PIKEVILLE?
-STATS- Wrote:Keep this on topic guys!
I agree, this topic should be about how Maroon Madness went for the Pikeville basketball team.
I don't think anyone should be talking bad about Pkeville Basketball, Football, or Baseball. If all the sports fight each other then everyone loses. Pikeville is a 1A small school. Everyone around the state knows Pikeville for football, and that's great. It would be wonderful if everyone thaught of the other sports, too. There shouldn't be any coach that wants to have a little group of players that are all basketball or all football or all baseball. This nonsense may seem like what needs to be done, but it ends up hurting all programs in the end. Coaches should encourage kids to play other sports when they are coming into middle school and as freshmen. I also thik that as kids get older and start preparing for the future at the college level, they may need to give up something in order to prepare for the sport(s) they may play at the next level.
Elwayfan Wrote:Let's hope it's more than just a few weeks. Also, why would the coach schedule a basketball game with P-Burg on the same day as our state football finals?
Because it is easy to move games if PHS or Pburg makes it to the state finals. When was the last time either of them were in the finals by the way? Life and other seasons must go on after football ends. Its a Friday night during BASKETBALL SEASON and a game is scheduled.

I agree, let's get back on topic, either that or someone needs to start another thread with a sad title.

Madness was awesome. You could tell a whole lot of planning and time went into it. I am sure it will become an annual event and based on the crowd I saw, it could be a "stand alone" event on its own. One whole side of the gym was packed top to bottom, and that was with both sets of cheerleaders and junior high girls basketball and cross country gone to other events. I think the organizers were just trying to make it a fun night all around for Panther fans. More money could have been made on ticket sales if they had charged more, but they tried to keep the cost down so people could afford to attend the football game and eat chilli, go to madness.................
It will be interesting to see what football attendance will be like next week without the Midnight Madness.

Incidentally, many times I have seen Coach Williams drag his entire family long distances to watch the football teams play over the years. And he has 2 small kids..........

bball fan Wrote:because Hail Pikeville has been crying about Rowe tailgating at the games in other threads, now he is crying about Williams in this one. It is no wonder that a lot of kids are not playing football, and it is no wonder that the fans have quit attending the football games....attitudes like this.....very sad!! You had better change your ways because from what I hear the b-ball madness crowd was bigger than the football game!!
Kids should play whatever makes them happy, period! When was the last time a PHS athlete played basketball or football at the "next level anyway"? They are few and far between these days.......................Kids should be happy and play what they want! If I were one of those guys that played football and basketball I would have loved Friday night! I get to win a playoff football game and then join in the fun and be recognized at Madness afterwards...........the football/basketball players looked happy to me and the kids are all that matters anyway! (Or should be..........)

Elwayfan Wrote:I don't think anyone should be talking bad about Pkeville Basketball, Football, or Baseball. If all the sports fight each other then everyone loses. Pikeville is a 1A small school. Everyone around the state knows Pikeville for football, and that's great. It would be wonderful if everyone thaught of the other sports, too. There shouldn't be any coach that wants to have a little group of players that are all basketball or all football or all baseball. This nonsense may seem like what needs to be done, but it ends up hurting all programs in the end. Coaches should encourage kids to play other sports when they are coming into middle school and as freshmen. I also thik that as kids get older and start preparing for the future at the college level, they may need to give up something in order to prepare for the sport(s) they may play at the next level.

uk96

This is a good sign for SV and Paintsville if Pikeville is fighting among themselves and the season hasn't even started.
I was at the planning stage of the Maroon Madness. It was originally scheduled for the Paintsville game. It was changed because of senior night for the football players. The chili dinner was scheduled before the dinner to help get people at the school before the football game with the madness after the game with the hopes that if someone wasnt going to the football game, they would if they was already going to be there anyway. Panther Thunder, it wasnt starting as the football game was ending. It was going to start after the end of the football game. If the game had gone into overtime, the starting of the Maroon Madness would have been postponed.

I know during the chili dinner I overheard a few saying they was going to check out the football game instead of going home. If the weather was better for the playoff game, there would have been a very large crowd at the football game. The weather and the score took the fans out of the bleachers for the playoff game. I guess it is Coach Williams fault the score was so lopsided that people didnt want to stay and watch the whole game. The reasoning behind it was to get more people in the stands during BOTH events, not just one of them.

Coach Williams as well as the rest of the basketball team do what they can to help out the football team. They practice at 6 am on Friday mornings so the players will be able to attend the game Friday night. The only grips I can see between the football program and the basketball program at PHS is all on here from what I can see. Has anyone seen in dissension between the players in the school, practice, or where ever. Just the same as I have not between the coaches either at the school or anywhere else. How many games has anyone seen the basketball players in the football stands? How many games has Matt Clevenger missed with his megaphone?

This isnt anything that Coach Williams threw together. There were many involved besides the boys basketball team. It was the girls team, jr. high boys and girls. The athletic director and I am sure the principal and board had some say on when the events were going to be. If it was planned to be a conspiracy against the football team, then why are so many others that are in a position to see both succeed involved? Why isnt anyone else complaining but one or two people? I think that maybe, just maybe Hail Pikeville has a problem with the basketball team and he is trying to stir the pot on a webpage.
Very well-said and accurate!

BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I was at the planning stage of the Maroon Madness. It was originally scheduled for the Paintsville game. It was changed because of senior night for the football players. The chili dinner was scheduled before the dinner to help get people at the school before the football game with the madness after the game with the hopes that if someone wasnt going to the football game, they would if they was already going to be there anyway. Panther Thunder, it wasnt starting as the football game was ending. It was going to start after the end of the football game. If the game had gone into overtime, the starting of the Maroon Madness would have been postponed.

I know during the chili dinner I overheard a few saying they was going to check out the football game instead of going home. If the weather was better for the playoff game, there would have been a very large crowd at the football game. The weather and the score took the fans out of the bleachers for the playoff game. I guess it is Coach Williams fault the score was so lopsided that people didnt want to stay and watch the whole game. The reasoning behind it was to get more people in the stands during BOTH events, not just one of them.

Coach Williams as well as the rest of the basketball team do what they can to help out the football team. They practice at 6 am on Friday mornings so the players will be able to attend the game Friday night. The only grips I can see between the football program and the basketball program at PHS is all on here from what I can see. Has anyone seen in dissension between the players in the school, practice, or where ever. Just the same as I have not between the coaches either at the school or anywhere else. How many games has anyone seen the basketball players in the football stands? How many games has Matt Clevenger missed with his megaphone?

This isnt anything that Coach Williams threw together. There were many involved besides the boys basketball team. It was the girls team, jr. high boys and girls. The athletic director and I am sure the principal and board had some say on when the events were going to be. If it was planned to be a conspiracy against the football team, then why are so many others that are in a position to see both succeed involved? Why isnt anyone else complaining but one or two people? I think that maybe, just maybe Hail Pikeville has a problem with the basketball team and he is trying to stir the pot on a webpage.
bball fan Wrote:That's funny, the ticket to the madness event read...5:30-7:00-Chili Dinner, 7:30 Playoff Football Game-Pikeville vs. Allen Central, 10:15 Maroon Madness. So what is the problem?? It appears to me that the football game was getting more promotion than it normally would have. You must have a really big problem with the basketball program right now! Maybe you should sit down and talk to Williams and Rowe and quit hiding behind your BGR name! It might do you some good!!!
OK so why didnt they have this last week during our bye week or why didnt they have it on saturday night? You dont see the football team having any type of function right in the middle of district tournament because Coach J has class and would NEVER do anything like that. Personaly I like Bart. My wife goes to church with him and our kids play together. But I just dont agree with the postioning of this event and if it isnt Barts fault then I am sorry for what I said earlier. However is responsible should be ahsamed of themselves. And to answer your question I do intend to ask Bart about it next time I see him as far as Billy goes Im not even going to waste my breath. And as far as hiding behing BGR names send me a PM and let me know who you are and Ill tell you who I am TOUGH GUY!!!!!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:OK so why didnt they have this last week during our bye week or why didnt they have it on saturday night? You dont see the football team having any type of function right in the middle of district tournament because Coach J has class and would NEVER do anything like that. Personaly I like Bart. My wife goes to church with him and our kids play together. But I just dont agree with the postioning of this event and if it isnt Barts fault then I am sorry for what I said earlier. However is responsible should be ahsamed of themselves. And to answer your question I do intend to ask Bart about it next time I see him as far as Billy goes Im not even going to waste my breath. And as far as hiding behing BGR names send me a PM and let me know who you are and Ill tell you who I am TOUGH GUY!!!!!

I dont have to say who I am in a pm. Everyone on here already knows because I have said it in open forums more times than I can count. My name is Marty Adams.

As far as the madness is concerned, I wish they would do the lights and music like that for all the home games. The spot light was a very nice touch. I also liked what Cindy said, if you cant get excited about basketball with the show that was going on, you just cant get excited about it at all. The lights and stuff was a better show than in Rupp when the cats take the floor. I personally think it was a great performance and I am sure that everyone who was there was impressed with the way it all turned out.
Because it was scheduled since its inception in JUNE to be a full night of Panther sports, both football and basketball. I was moved GRACIOUSLY in order for there to be no conflict with football senior night at the Paintsville game. First round of playoffs was the next option so the panther faithful could see BOTH sports in one night.

The weekend after Thanksgiving I hope I see the Panthers play football on Friday night in Lexington at LCA, watch the UK football Saturday afternoon and UK basketball in Rupp Saturday night. THIS EVENT WAS SET UP WITH HOPES FOR A SIMILAR ATMOSPHERE FOR PANTHER FANS.

HAIL PIKEVILLE have you appear to be hearing us, but you are not LISTENING! It was meant to be a FULL NIGHT OF PANTHER SPORTS, FULLY IN SUPPORT OF FOOTBALL. The football/basketball players were not even asked to sell tickets like the other boys & girls players so they wouldn't be distracted with it.

If you have ever seen the movie White Men Can't Jump, it talks about hearing versus listening. BROTHER, YOU DEFINITELY AREN'T LISTENING TO JIMMY or anyone that supports basketball AND football!

Hearing vs. Listening
Do you think there is a difference between hearing and listening? You are right, there is! Hearing is simply the act of perceiving sound by the ear. If you are not hearing-impaired, hearing simply happens. Listening, however, is something you consciously choose to do. Listening requires concentration so that your brain processes meaning from words and sentences. Listening leads to learning.

Most people tend to be "hard of listening" rather than "hard of hearing."

PS You might need to head to church WITH your wife & kids and LISTEN to a sermon instead of bashing good people.......

HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:OK so why didnt they have this last week during our bye week or why didnt they have it on saturday night? You dont see the football team having any type of function right in the middle of district tournament because Coach J has class and would NEVER do anything like that. Personaly I like Bart. My wife goes to church with him and our kids play together. But I just dont agree with the postioning of this event and if it isnt Barts fault then I am sorry for what I said earlier. However is responsible should be ahsamed of themselves. And to answer your question I do intend to ask Bart about it next time I see him as far as Billy goes Im not even going to waste my breath. And as far as hiding behing BGR names send me a PM and let me know who you are and Ill tell you who I am TOUGH GUY!!!!!
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I dont have to say who I am in a pm. Everyone on here already knows because I have said it in open forums more times than I can count. My name is Marty Adams.

As far as the madness is concerned, I wish they would do the lights and music like that for all the home games. The spot light was a very nice touch. I also liked what Cindy said, if you cant get excited about basketball with the show that was going on, you just cant get excited about it at all. The lights and stuff was a better show than in Rupp when the cats take the floor. I personally think it was a great performance and I am sure that everyone who was there was impressed with the way it all turned out.
I think if Mike Biliter decides to do PA at the games it could very well happen if the school will allow it. I talked to him about it and he has a lot of great ideas that would really get interest back into basketball at PHS.
PSS If you do go to church WITH your wife and kids and LISTEN to a sermon, you will probably see Bart Williams and/or Billy Rowe there, depending on which church you go to and you can discuss it with both of them THERE AT CHURCH!

Panther Thunder Wrote:I think if Mike Biliter decides to do PA at the games it could very well happen if the school will allow it. I talked to him about it and he has a lot of great ideas that would really get interest back into basketball at PHS.

I think the interest is on its way back anyways. Judging from the size of the crowd at the madness. I think Mike did a terrific job on the PA, and it would be a huge asset to the basketball program if he does it full time. I know I have run some ideas past Bart in the past, and he seems to like them. I think it would draw more interest than just the usual stuff that happens at a lot of gyms. Not to mention how it could get the crowd into the games. Which they seemed to be in it at the madness. And my hats off to Anthony Evans over his shooting in the 3 point shoot out. What did he hit in a row, 7 I think it was.
Mike is a huge asset!
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I think the interest is on its way back anyways. Judging from the size of the crowd at the madness. I think Mike did a terrific job on the PA, and it would be a huge asset to the basketball program if he does it full time. I know I have run some ideas past Bart in the past, and he seems to like them. I think it would draw more interest than just the usual stuff that happens at a lot of gyms. Not to mention how it could get the crowd into the games. Which they seemed to be in it at the madness. And my hats off to Anthony Evans over his shooting in the 3 point shoot out. What did he hit in a row, 7 I think it was.
Pages: 1 2 3