Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pike Co. Central @ Paintsville (No refs --- game cancelled)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Due to a ref shortage, tonight's game between Pike Central and Paintsville was cancelled. 

I don't know what needs to happen, but something has to change to get men and women back out refereeing our games. If something doesn't change, we're going to see more and more games in all sports cancelled or postponed.

Hate it for the players, especially the Paintsville seniors.
Why no effort to play this one tomorrow?
wow
Wow! So did the teams not know beforehand that the refs weren’t showing? Who is responsible for assigning the games?
Everyone was there and ready for football and it looks like they waited for a hour and called the game.

(10-28-2022, 11:19 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone was there and ready for football and it looks like they waited for a hour and called the game.

That's embarrassing. Bottom line, refs don't get paid enough for the job and for the extra crap they have to deal with.
(10-28-2022, 11:16 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! So did the teams not know beforehand that the refs weren’t showing? Who is responsible for assigning the games?
Someone can correct me, but there is a person over every referee region that assigns the games. Or that’s what I seem to remember. 

whoever asked why not tomorrow, most teams don’t like Saturday games because you get a short turn aroind for the next week. And it being the playoffs, I get it.
Inflation is here
Is it true: the American diesel supply is set to run out in like 22 days?
(10-28-2022, 11:16 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! So did the teams not know beforehand that the refs weren’t showing? Who is responsible for assigning the games?
There were 4 stripes assigned to this game. One didn’t show and never gave anyone a heads up. One of my local referee friends said the guy that didn’t show is from Leslie County. He never let anyone know that he wasn’t coming and no one could reach him when they tried countless times. Meanwhile, just a couple miles away across the creek, there were 5 stripes calling the JC/Belfry game. Not sure why Kevin Garris didn’t try to get one of those guys to switch over after the Paintsville/Pike Central folks waited for an hour.
(10-28-2022, 11:30 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]Is it true:  the American diesel supply is set to run out in like 22 days?
The video I watched, I think we’re now at 
-89 days.
(10-29-2022, 12:19 AM)Redneck Wrote: [ -> ]
There were 4 stripes assigned to this game. One didn’t show and never gave anyone a heads up. One of my local referee friends said the guy that didn’t show is from Leslie County. He never let anyone know that he wasn’t coming and no one could reach him when they tried countless times. Meanwhile, just a couple miles away across the creek, there were 5 stripes calling the JC/Belfry game. Not sure why Kevin Garris didn’t try to get one of those guys to switch over after the Paintsville/Pike Central folks waited for an hour.

Because that is not Kevin Harris’s job to do.
You can place the blame directly on the shoulders of parents and more importantly superintendents who shine their nose into things where they don’t belong
I’ll be the bad guy. Who the hell would want to ref at Paintsville?
I thought his job was to make sure everyone had enough officials to play a game. At the end of the day, it falls on him plain and simple. Why do you send officials from the Johnson county area to Phelps and don’t have enough officials for this game. Someone is to blame. Nice ‘Senior Night’ for the Paintsville seniors…
What a great assigning secretary?
Could play it tomorrow
BoondockSaint, no one asked you.
If you’ve ever reffed a game you would understand the shortage. Between dumba$$ parents and coaches it’s not a very desirable job.
Hey, I agree. Parents are stupid. But if you’re going to do something, then do it and do it right. Geeeeez. You just screwed a bunch of kid’s senior night.
I don't know enough to figure out the problems in order to reach a solution, but something needs to happen before this becomes more common. Basketball is about to fire up and I'd about guarantee that there's going to be some games moved around or canceled because they cannot get enough refs. Especially freshman, JV, middle school, and grade school games.
Someone’s going to get fired over this. I know of one that’s fired already and that’s the ref that didn’t show up unless he had some sort of emergency. Doubt he’ll be the only one as news spreads of this throughout the State
Jesus Christ. You sign up for the job, you know the job description. You know officials get badgering consistently, constantly, all the time, the whole game. Its why I would never do it. Case in point, I dont do it. But if for some reason I had to...regardless id show up. A ref not showing up over "parents and coaches" is like a surgeon not showing up to surgery because of blood and needles.
(10-29-2022, 02:28 AM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]Jesus Christ. You sign up for the job, you know the job description. You know officials get badgering consistently,  constantly, all the time, the whole game. Its why I would never do it. Case in point, I dont do it. But if for some reason I had to...regardless id show up. A ref not showing up over "parents and coaches" is like a surgeon not showing up to surgery because of blood and needles.
From what I have been told officials have to accept the games they are assigned. So I’m not sure why this official would agree to do the game if he had no intentions of being there. Just tell them you didn’t want to do it. Now maybe a last minute emergency situation come up but other than that I do not know why this should happened. And if it was only 1 official who didn’t show up why not do it with the other ones who did. It’d put more on the other officials but at least the game would be played
Didn’t they say they couldn’t get a hold of him? Maybe he actually had an emergency. I mean I’m sorry but say I had a bad wreck or something wrong with my kids etc. the last thing I’d be worried about is a game
If no plausible explanation as a parent there would have been hell to pay when my son was a senior. This would be a jail stay for me for a bit.
Unbelievable situation. Perhaps Kentucky needs to allow schools to handle refs like Ohio used to where each school is responsible for coming up with refs for their own home games. Ashland radio announcer Dicky Martin used to say that the Ironton refs lived right next to the stadium and went to their house for a sandwich at halftime.
I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he had an emergency, but it still exposes a weakness in the system that needs to be addressed. Does anybody know why they couldn't play with 3 officials? You'd think the white hat could get both coaches together and explain the situation and get them to agree to play with 3. Terrible situation for the Paintsville seniors.
Just play the game with 3 refs. Jesus Christ. Or get somebody in the stands to volunteer. Idiotic situation
Pay them more, train them more, hold them to a higher standard. Seems pretty simple. I guarantee you majority of coaches and AD’s would gladly pay double the price per ref for a better trained more professional ref.
(10-29-2022, 11:34 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Just play the game with 3 refs. Jesus Christ. Or get somebody in the stands to volunteer. Idiotic situation
I was thinking the same.  Surely there was someone in the stands that has had officiating experience that they could have asked to volunteer.  This is a terrible situation for the players, fans, and parents who lost out on an experience that can never be replaced.
Pages: 1 2