Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Injury bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That time of year it's crucial to be healthy. The "mid-tier" teams that stayed healthy, "the luck" was with them are ready to roll into the playoffs, hopefully sitting some key starters in their final game. Some have got lucky and had their injuries early, and kids are back to full strength. And then some are devastated with injuries. This is the time the deep, truly deep programs who have kids that can really really play 3 deep will excel and go forward. If you are one of those teams, thank your stars. Being deep in high-school has become ever more important than it once was. I know some of you oldheads (myself included) will remember when a 35 man roster was fairly deep. Now you need to be about 60, even at 3A, and 85-90 at 4A. Maybe I'm just whining, lol, but I know the injury bug sucks when it spreads way worse than C19 ever did.
I once heard a multi state title winner speak at a clinic. He said, “Don’t kid yourself! Find your 18-21 that can play and coach them hard. The guys that are never gonna get game reps….let them go through the drills, but never stop the drill to do a lot of correcting with them.”

Now, I’m paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.
You don’t need to be 90 deep in 4A or lower. If you can stay at 50 kids who are bought in and work their tails off you are fine.
I always felt like 15 per class that can actually play would be a great goal for the lower three classes. Mainly, because in most cases- you don’t have a big enough staff allotment to coach any more kids than that.