Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Playing A Tough Opponent Last Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This week the schedule is loaded. Some of the top games include
Lex Cath vs Scott Co
Woodford vs Simon Kenton, etc etc.

I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on scheduling such tough opponents 1 week before playoffs. For a fan it is great but if I were a coach I would prefer that week to be a lesser opponent or if possible even a bye. I don't understand why a coach would want to risk injury just as the playoffs are getting ready to start. Sure an injury can occur against any opponent or even in practice but when playing a physical team the injury risk is elevated.  I am all for being battle tested but it seems to me that scheduling these teams earlier in the year so if any significant injuries occured a player would have time to heal would make more sense instead of 1 week from playoffs.

What are the thoughts of everyone else on this subject?
To be the best you need to play and beat the best. Playing a cake walk schedule and ending it with a cake walk schedule won't prepare you for the grind of the playoffs. A lot of teams have a weak district besides one game. So if you are a 1 seed, you're likely playing two weak district games, then if you pick a bad team to close out week 10 there's another weak game, then your first two playoff games are against weaker opponents.
We have played Bell County on Halloween weekend as far back as I can remember. (which isn't too far) Also, the girls' basketball games between HC and Bell County was, and still is, always played in mid February. I can't tell you how many birthdays my daughter celebrated in the back seat of my car driving home from the Bell County game.

If "I" was coach I would not want the tougher games just before playoffs, because of the higher possibility of injuries. But that's just me.
(10-24-2022, 09:58 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]To be the best you need to play and beat the best. Playing a cake walk schedule and ending it with a cake walk schedule won't prepare you for the grind of the playoffs. A lot of teams have a weak district besides one game. So if you are a 1 seed, you're likely playing two weak district games, then if you pick a bad team to close out week 10 there's another weak game, then your first two playoff games are against weaker opponents.
Well Said!
Raceland plays Lawrence County

Another big game
I get it. Ky overall is a weak football state. Too heavy compared to other states, therefore making most districts weak. So I guess
Coaches want a tough time up before they go into the playoffs. It definitely hurt us last year playing a weak district, teams almost get complacent. But like you said, you run a higher probability of injury playing more physical teams.

Personally I’m not a fan of playing a top 5 team the last week. I want to be as healthy going into the playoffs as possible. Even without injury it wears on a team. And I don’t like having a bye the last week either. Teams need a break half way through to recoup and heal. If I had my choice I’d schedule a 5-10 team. Or someone that ran a style you’re going to face in the playoffs. Only problem with that is getting the other coach to give in. I’m sure most don’t want to play a powerhouse the week before playoffs. So it’s kinda catch 22.
(10-24-2022, 10:06 AM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2022, 09:58 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]To be the best you need to play and beat the best. Playing a cake walk schedule and ending it with a cake walk schedule won't prepare you for the grind of the playoffs. A lot of teams have a weak district besides one game. So if you are a 1 seed, you're likely playing two weak district games, then if you pick a bad team to close out week 10 there's another weak game, then your first two playoff games are against weaker opponents.
Well Said!
I'm not saying you should play a cupcake schedule. You should play as many tough opponents as possible especially if you have a weak district. To me though I would want those games earlier.
To me Pikeville has the perfect schedule. Several tough games in early season the bye right before playoffs to rest and heal any nagging injuries. With a weak 1st Rd opponent that is almost like being off 2 weeks.
They are battle tested and well rested
(10-24-2022, 10:31 AM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]
Well Said!
I'm not saying you should play a cupcake schedule. You should play as many tough opponents as possible especially if you have a weak district. To me though I would want those games earlier.
To me Pikeville has the perfect schedule. Several tough games in early season the bye right before playoffs to rest and heal any nagging injuries. With a weak 1st Rd opponent that is almost like being off 2 weeks.
They are battle tested and well rested

Take Corbin for example this year, I know their district is not their fault (don't come for me Corbin fans back when Bradeon Sloan was at Wayne it made the district much more competitive). But they will have played 7 weak games in a row by the time they have to play Lexington Catholic, Boyle County, or Johnson Central. Those first two rounds of playoffs could be games to make sure guys heal up and get the clock running.
If you play in a weak district, then a schedule up game as I call them is a great idea. If you lose, so what, find out what you got to improve before playoffs, if you win, huge boost going into playoffs.

If you play in a stronger district, I think its a good spot for the bye or a we should win this type game to get ready and work on a few things.
I think it depends on whether or not you are expecting to "make a run" or not. If you are hoping at best to win a couple of playoff games at best I would want to play whoever. But if I thought I had a team that could get to the 4th or 5th round I would play the best I could find.

I also don't think you run a greater risk of injuries against better teams. Maybe a little but not much. Like stated above if you have a pretty good team the first couple of weeks are usually pretty easy games.
Injuries can happen in any game but if you have a strong team and suffer a key injury in the last regular season game, at least you have time to make adjustments in the early playoff rounds.
You play who’s gonna prepare you for the playoffs period, whether it’s early season or the last game of the regular season, injuries happen against the cupcakes too…
I would loved to have had Corbin play Pulaski Southwestern in the final game. It’s a game against a great team that you probably win 8-9 outta 10 times but one which will test you to the final horn and could very well send you back home with your tail between your legs. Plus it’s a 5A school that will help the RPI. Going into the playoffs after playing 4-5 gimmes in a row will often times get teams fat and happy resting on their laurels.
(10-24-2022, 08:55 PM)Corbin Wrote: [ -> ]I would loved to have had Corbin play Pulaski Southwestern in the final game. It’s a game against a great team that you probably win 8-9 outta 10 times but one which will test you to the final horn and could very well send you back home with your tail between your legs. Plus it’s a 5A school that will help the RPI. Going into the playoffs after playing 4-5 gimmes in a row will often times get teams fat and happy resting on their laurels.

I love seeing you post, because that big bowl of soup beans keeps looking at me LOL! Smile Southwestern would be a dandy opponent.
(10-24-2022, 09:06 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2022, 08:55 PM)Corbin Wrote: [ -> ]I would loved to have had Corbin play Pulaski Southwestern in the final game. It’s a game against a great team that you probably win 8-9 outta 10 times but one which will test you to the final horn and could very well send you back home with your tail between your legs. Plus it’s a 5A school that will help the RPI. Going into the playoffs after playing 4-5 gimmes in a row will often times get teams fat and happy resting on their laurels.

I love seeing you post, because that big bowl of soup beans keeps looking at me LOL! Smile Southwestern would be a dandy opponent.

I was thinking much the same thing earlier, except I was wondering where the fried Salmon patty was at…
(10-24-2022, 09:09 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]

I was thinking much the same thing earlier, except I was wondering where the fried Salmon patty was at…

Thats funny because I just bought Salmon today......
(10-24-2022, 10:10 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]Raceland plays Lawrence County

Another big game
Not!
(10-24-2022, 09:50 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2022, 10:10 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]Raceland plays Lawrence County

Another big game
Not!

Why not
Dogs are gonna get eleventy billion put on them

I may have to fix a mess of them before too long. Throw them on with some fried taters, green onions, pone of cornbread, and those little thin fried pork chops or salmon patties, and I’m happy as a hog in slop. Best thing about soup beans is that aside from the gas, you poop em out pretty quick and that just means more room for another bowl or two.

Wonder if the two NKY schools stay on the schedule or if they’ll add someone else next year?

Southwestern would have been good.  I would have loved to have seen Corbin be able to entice the school from Ft Thomas down here instead of the Campbell County Camletoes. We would beat Highlands but they would give us a nice RPI boost with their good WP.  The Campbell game will crush our OWP and could result in us going to Danville to play Boyle in round three  instead of a JC matchup at Campbell Field. 

I don't know if we've played the Bluebirds since the '62 game when they came to Corbin at the end of the season coming off two consecutive state championships and riding a 34-game winning streak. They left Corbin bluer than their Bird, losing 10-0.
I would most definitely look for a lot of schedules to change next year because of the reclassification process over the off season and teams have now had time to figure out the RPI and scheduling will become more difficult.
(10-25-2022, 05:08 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

Southwestern would have been good.  I would have loved to have seen Corbin be able to entice the school from Ft Thomas down here instead of the Campbell County Camletoes. We would beat Highlands but they would give us a nice RPI boost with their good WP.  The Campbell game will crush our OWP and could result in us going to Danville to play Boyle in round three  instead of a JC matchup at Campbell Field. 

I don't know if we've played the Bluebirds since the '62 game when they came to Corbin at the end of the season coming off two consecutive state championships and riding a 34-game winning streak. They left Corbin bluer than their Bird, losing 10-0.

That sounds like they have a circulation issue if their bird takes to getting blue.

(10-25-2022, 07:32 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]I would most definitely look for a lot of schedules to change next year because of the reclassification process over the off season and teams have now had time to figure out the RPI and scheduling will become more difficult.

So next year will be the reclassification? Any chance on moving up to 5A? Also, wonder if some of the 4A schools go down to 3A ball.
Salmon?? What about the fried taters??
(10-25-2022, 09:41 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]Salmon??  What about the fried taters??

Gotta wash it all down with a big glass of sweet milk too. You coming down next weekend, Granny?
I can’t eat tators. Not keto friendly lol
Yes, there will be some movement in all classes but it’s in the first stages right now.
Bowling Green vs St. X is a great week 10 matchup.
Well Said!

I was gonna post this, but you did a STELLAR job of explaining the reasoning.  Think:  Johnson Central v Belfry week 10 and look at the playoff runs of those two programs in recent years.

(10-24-2022, 10:38 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: [ -> ]Dogs are gonna get eleventy billion put on them

Better hope so; otherwise, Orange has to drop football!  RAD already promised!

Hahahahahah
I like seeing a big matchup last game of the year. Most dominant teams won’t have another tuff game until week 13-14 so there’s plenty time to heal up.
Pages: 1 2