Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Martin County @ Prestonsburg 10/21
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Martin County will travel to Prestonsburg this Friday. 

Martin County (5-3)
Aug 19, 22 Leslie County home (W) 41 - 19 
Aug 26, 22 Greenup County away (L) 6 - 43 
Sep 2, 22 Fleming County away (L) 14 - 21 
Sep 9, 22 Knott County Central home (W) 41 - 0 
Sep 23, 22 Bath County away (W) 46 - 0 
Sep 30, 22 East Ridge home (W) 57 - 22 
Oct 6, 22 Shelby Valley away (L) 34 - 47 
Oct 14, 22 West Carter home (W) 48 - 0

Prestonsburg (8-1)
Aug 19, 22 Betsy Layne home (W) 28 - 25 
Aug 26, 22 Magoffin County away (W) 26 - 18 
Sep 2, 22 Phelps away (W) 50 - 14 
Sep 9, 22 Powell County away (W) 42 - 26 
Sep 16, 22 Floyd Central home (W) 33 - 28 
Sep 23, 22 East Ridge away (W) 42 - 36 
Sep 30, 22 Shelby Valley home (L) 21 - 68 
Oct 7, 22 West Carter away (W) 38 - 14 
Oct 14, 22 Bath County home (W) 51 - 8

Thoughts?
Hoping P-burg but I think Martin county wins
Martin County
Cards by a few scores
Martin county-38
Prestonsburg-24
Should be a good one. Two classy programs facing off for a home playoff game. Good luck to both.
I think Prestonsburg's offense is going to do enough to put the Blackcats in a position to win this game, but the defense has to play their best game yet. Cannot afford a bunch of missed tackles and they also cannot give up a bunch of chunk plays on the ground. Blackcats need to be very disruptive and force 3rd and long's. I think if they can do that, they'll get MC flustered.

A lot is on the line in this game. Winner gets 2 seed and first round home game most likely against Leslie County and the loser gets the 3 seed and more than likely has to travel to Middlesboro first round. Very important game for both football teams.

I'm going with my Blackcats, 31-27 in a barnburner.
This will be one of the better games this week. 

Martin County will leave P-Burg with a win.... but barely.

Martin County- 28
PBurg- 27
This game should absolutely fly by as both teams are extremely run heavy.

The Blackcat defense has to step up and tackle better or Martin Co will run away with it. Rushing defense has been a weakness of ours. Martin Co has a stable of workhorse RBs. I really like their offense and what Coach Muncy does with them. He’s a very underrated coach, imo.

I do think we will have some success with our running game though. We run well and mix it up with the pass at the right time. Coach Brewer has done a great job of preparing our kids and making sure they’ve not hung their heads after trailing early. We have a resilient bunch of senior leaders. 

I’ll go with the Blackcats scoring late and winning a barnburner 35-28.
I have watched both team play Cards defensive is better they got more then one player to stop Martin co win 49-14
It will be a running clock
Martin Co 42
Pburg 16
Sheldon Clark
I know P-burg put a lot of emphasis on the Shelby Valley game but to me this has been the most important game on their schedule all year. They have taken care of business for the most part up to this point and are now in a position to play for a home playoff game. I think this has the capability of being a really good game, maybe even the best game of the week.

I honestly think that Martin Co. will win by a healthy margin or P-burg will win a close one. This one comes down to controlling time of possession and limiting turnovers.
Martin County gets the W
(10-18-2022, 11:09 AM)The Scoop Wrote: [ -> ]I know P-burg put a lot of emphasis on the Shelby Valley game but to me this has been the most important game on their schedule all year. They have taken care of business for the most part up to this point and are now in a position to play for a home playoff game. I think this has the capability of being a really good game, maybe even the best game of the week.

I honestly think that Martin Co. will win by a healthy margin or P-burg will win a close one. This one comes down to controlling time of possession and limiting turnovers.

That last paragraph is how I feel. PBurg either scores enough to keep up, or we are left in the dust. I believe the offense can score points, but the turnover battle is gonna be huge. PBurg probably needs to be +1 to make it a pick ‘em game. If PBurg is even in the turnover battle, I don’t feel so good about stopping this Martin Co running game.
I haven't had a chance to get on here for a couple of weeks, but during that time, the Blackcats have taken care of business. This is going to be a tough game for my Blackcats. The one thing we struggle at, "stopping the run", is the one thing the Cardinals excel at. Actually, I think this may be the best rushing attack we have seen all year. I think they run the ball better than Shelby Valley, but of course they aren't as balanced, with Valley's passing game. If I'm coach Brewer, I load the box and whatever happens, happens. I would like to see some run blitzes with the safeties and corners. We have to do a much better job tackling, and Martin County has a good combination of backs with size, speed, and power. Offensively, I think the Blackcats can run the ball effectively and can score enough points to win, but we will need our QB to be able to make the easy throws, in which he has struggled with at times this year. He has improved, but he needs to be more than a "game manager" for the Blackcats to win. To me, this is the most important game of the Brewer era. A second place finish would be huge for our program, and give us some much needed off season momentum, plus a first round winnable home playoff game. A loss and a third place finish, would put a dark cloud over a good year, especially if we travel to Middlesboro for a first round match up. Winning over there is tough! With all of the 15 seniors who are graduating this year, a second place finish and hosting a playoff game, would go a long way, in getting some athletes out of the halls and on to the field next year. We need numbers and winning is the recipe in getting our numbers up. A loss would have a lot of people questioning Brewer, and his non district schedule. As far as a game prediction, I can see this game going either way. As someone mentioned earlier, I can see Prestonsburg winning a "nail bitter", or I can see them getting ran over. I would prefer winning a nail bitter. Hail Blackcats!
Prestonsburg has a good kicker. Shelby Valley recovered a few onside kicks against Martin County. If Prestonsburg can do the same, I think that they can win this one. That is easier said than done though. I like Martin County to get the win.
P Burg with a good record but another season of not really playing anyone. I’m afraid the schedule shows in this game.

Martin Co 35
P Burg 14

(10-16-2022, 08:38 PM)Kentuckysfinest Wrote: [ -> ]Should be a good one. Two classy programs facing off for a home playoff game. Good luck to both.
Kinda caught me off guard with the wording, having never seen both of those said in the same sentence.  “Martin co” and “Classy” ??‍♂️. Good luck to both teams!