Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KSR Top 25 +1 Rankings 10/11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 311246274_5930339920332705_4183163385684...e=634B85BB]
KSR’s Week 8 Top 25 (+1) rankings
1. St. Xavier (6-1): Def. Manual 21-10 – Trevor Havill tossed a touchdown pass to Zach Marks while Adam Boone and Davis Yates added touchdowns on the ground.
2. Frederick Douglass (7-0): Bye
3. DuPont Manual (6-1): Lost to St. Xavier 21-10 – Miles Rhodes’ scope and score fumble return touchdown gave Manual an early lead.
4. Ballard (6-1): Def. Trinity 14-9 – Jaden Minkins returned an interception for a touchdown to help Ballard end a 33-game losing streak to their district foe.
5. Christin Academy of Louisville (8-0): Def. DeSales 51-0 – Justin Ruffin had three touchdowns, including one on a kickoff return. Cole Hodge tossed five touchdown passes.
6. Corbin (7-0): Def. Knox Central 50-0 – Kade Elam tossed five touchdown passes, including four to Carter Stewart.
7. Covington Catholic (6-1): Bye
8. Lexington Catholic (6-1): Def. Boyle County 28-27 – Jackson Wasik passed for 278 yards and three touchdowns, including the go-ahead score to Sam Clements with 2:47 left, to help the Knights overcome deficits of 20-0 and 27-7. He added a touchdown on the ground.
9. Boyle County (6-1): Lost to Lex Cath 28-27 – Montavin Quisenberry rushed for 106 yards and two scores while catching five passes for 60 yards.
10. Woodford County (7-0): Def. Madison Southern 36-0 – Sophomore Dayvion Sturgis returned a fumble for a touchdown.
11. Male (4-3)
12. Bowling Green (6-1)
13. Trinity (4-4)
14. Pikeville (5-2)
15. Mayfield (7-0)
16. Pulaski County (7-1)
17. South Warren (4-3)
18. Henderson County (6-1)
19. Southwestern (7-0)
20. Beechwood (6-1)
21. Bardstown (8-0)
22. Union County (7-0)
23. Scott County (6-1)
24. Johnson Central (5-2)
25. Bryan Station (4-3)
26. Owensboro Catholic (5-3)
Go hounds ?
A dozen teams ahead of Trinity? In Kentucky...? Blasphemy!
^ I agree, I will never cheer for a big private school but there's no way there's a dozen teams in KY better than Trinity.
Trinity would put Corbin and Lexington Catholic on a running clock. These rankings are suspect at best, but they lead to good discussion.
(10-13-2022, 09:11 AM)jamesclay Wrote: [ -> ]Trinity would put Corbin and Lexington Catholic on a running clock. These rankings are suspect at best, but they lead to good discussion.
You forgot to include Boyle County, which recently lost to Lexington Catholic, in your list of 4A teams that would find themselves on the short end of a running clock against Trinity.

I agree that it is likely that Trinity would put a running clock on any team in classes 1A through 4A, but even Trinity could have a bad game where their offense sputters because of fumbles or penalties. I think the games would most likely get out of hand quickly, once teams had to play from behind and every down became a passing down. That's when the Trinity's depth would really start to take effect.
Flip Trinity and Pikeville and it looks about right.
Smile
(10-13-2022, 11:09 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Flip Trinity and Pikeville and it looks about right.
Smile
I started to tell james that he left Pikeville off of his list, but I knew that would bring you into the discussion.  Smile
Ky must be a better football state at the top than other states, because Trinity has gotten beat by Ky teams and have beaten some very good out of state teams...I heard a pod cast and a coach was asked about that very subject and he had coached in Oklahoma and Texas and he said KY teams at the top were as good as any teams anywhere......His words not mine..
(10-13-2022, 11:26 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Ky must be a better football state at the top than other states, because Trinity has gotten beat by Ky teams and have beaten some very good out of state teams...I heard a pod cast and a coach was asked about that very subject and he had coached in Oklahoma and Texas and he said KY teams at the top were as good as any teams anywhere......His words not mine..
I don't think that is the case at all. I think that the top 5 6A teams are all very good and better balanced than they have been in most years. I have never coached football at any level, but by any measure both Indiana and Ohio have far more strong football teams than Kentucky does. Every state also has more weak teams than good teams but those are not the teams that Trinity plays.

CalPreps ranks three of the teams that Trinity has beaten in the top 400 nationally, along with two of the teams that have beaten Trinity (Louisville St. X is #189. I think that a couple of Trinity's losses were without its starting quarterback, at least one of which they started their third string quarterback. I doubt that there are many 4-4 teams in the nation better than Trinity.

I lived in Greenwood, Indiana, for about 8 years. Greenwood is home to Center Grove High School, which lost to Trinity 29-28. Center Grove has an enrollment of 2,600+ and has first class athletic facilities. Carmel High School, which Trinity defeated 17-7, has an enrollment of 5,400 and is probably the wealthiest Indianapolis suburb. Many of the Colts and Pacers players live in Carmel and send their children to school there.

Ironton, which is a small school with a very rich football tradition near Ashland, beat Johnson Central 32-21. Ironton's starting quarterback and one of its receivers have both committed to the University of Cincinnati and running back Jaquez Keyes is a three-star recruit who has committed to the University of Wisconsin. Ironton is a very good football team with great skill players and very good overall team speed. CalPreps currently ranks undefeated Ironton #64 in Ohio.

Moeller is currently ranked #1 in Ohio and beat Trinity 29-3. I watched Moeller beat Our Lady of Good Counsel (CalPreps #46 nationally) 39-31 and Moeller is another level of good above any Kentucky football team.

The other reason that I believe Kentucky is a weak football state is the small number of teams that actually have a chance of winning a state title each year and the fact that the names of the competitive teams change very little year to year. To me, that suggests that there is a shortage of good head coaches in Kentucky and that most school districts in the state are not really committed to building competitive football programs. Maybe that is the legacy of Kentucky's history as a basketball state. The quality of Kentucky's basketball coaching is much better overall than its football coaching, IMO. Despite not producing a lot of D1 basketball talent, Kentucky's high school basketball teams seem to more than hold their own against more athletic teams from surrounding states.

For anybody who wants to dismiss CalPreps and Massey ratings, then I suggest doing a count of D1 football signees for Kentucky and the surrounding states. Great athletes do not necessarily indicate great teams but having good coaches at all levels helps players develop to their potential and draws attention from D1 schools.
(10-13-2022, 10:50 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2022, 09:11 AM)jamesclay Wrote: [ -> ]Trinity would put Corbin and Lexington Catholic on a running clock. These rankings are suspect at best, but they lead to good discussion.
You forgot to include Boyle County, which recently lost to Lexington Catholic, in your list of 4A teams that would find themselves on the short end of a running clock against Trinity.

I agree that it is likely that Trinity would put a running clock on any team in classes 1A through 4A, but even Trinity could have a bad game where their offense sputters because of fumbles or penalties. I think the games would most likely get out of hand quickly, once teams had to play from behind and every down became a passing down. That's when the Trinity's depth would really start to take effect.

They would only beat Boyle by 33 points.
Class A PIKEVILLE WOULD BEAT 6A TRINITY. SO WHOEVER SAID TRINITY WOULD PUT A RUNNING CLOCK ON TEAMS HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OF HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. A 4-4 TEAM PUTTING A RUNNING CLOCK ON A TEAM. TRINITY NEEDS TO TRY AND WIN A GAME IN ITS OWN BACKYARD.
LOU. ST. XAVIER WILL WIN THE 6A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.
(10-14-2022, 06:50 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: [ -> ]Class A PIKEVILLE WOULD BEAT 6A TRINITY. SO WHOEVER SAID TRINITY WOULD PUT A RUNNING CLOCK ON TEAMS HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OF HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. A 4-4 TEAM PUTTING A RUNNING CLOCK ON A TEAM. TRINITY NEEDS TO TRY AND WIN A GAME IN ITS OWN BACKYARD.
Big Grin Absolutely clueless.
(10-14-2022, 06:50 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: [ -> ]Class A PIKEVILLE WOULD BEAT 6A TRINITY. SO WHOEVER SAID TRINITY WOULD PUT A RUNNING CLOCK ON TEAMS HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OF HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. A 4-4 TEAM PUTTING A RUNNING CLOCK ON A TEAM. TRINITY NEEDS TO TRY AND WIN A GAME IN ITS OWN BACKYARD.

Funniest post of the year. 
Thanks making me laugh out loud this morning  Big Grin

Trinity would beat Pikeville like a JV team.
CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2022] Trinity (Louisville, KY) 28, [2022] Pikeville (KY) 19

Pikeville just lost a couple points on Calpreps because they showed class and allowed a 44-8 running clock halftime lead at Sayre end up a 44-15 final.

The Class snobs forget Pikeville losing 21-19 at Madison Central last year with the state's leading rusher with an uncharacteristic fumble on the goal line going in for the winning score or one of the best players on the team muffing a punt deep in Pikeville territory right before halftime that led to a MC TD. Then Pikeville misses a FG on last play of the game for the win. This at MC. Then MC takes 6A champ St X to the brink in the semis on the road.

The gap between great small school teams and top teams in higher classes is not what the class snobs think, and it is proven time and time again. For the depth gurus, Pikeville has as many or more players making plays as Trinity. I would expect a competitive game at Trinity and a dogfight at Pikeville. I like Trinity but they may not even be a Top 5 team in Louisville.
(10-14-2022, 09:13 AM)jamesclay Wrote: [ -> ]

Trinity would beat Pikeville like a JV team.
http://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=278861&pid=2373123#pid2373123
(10-14-2022, 08:06 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
Big Grin Absolutely clueless.

Good for a laugh, at least.  LOL
(10-14-2022, 10:28 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]CALPREPS.COM

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

Pikeville just lost a couple points on Calpreps because they showed class and allowed a 44-8 running clock halftime lead at Sayre end up a 44-15 final.

The Class snobs forget Pikeville losing 21-19 at Madison Central last year with the state's leading rusher with an uncharacteristic fumble on the goal line going in for the winning score or one of the best players on the team muffing a punt deep in Pikeville territory right before halftime that led to a MC TD. Then Pikeville misses a FG on last play of the game for the win. This at MC. Then MC takes 6A champ St X to the brink in the semis on the road.

The gap between great small school teams and top teams in higher classes is not what the class snobs think, and it is proven time and time again. For the depth gurus, Pikeville has as many or more players making plays as Trinity. I would expect a competitive game at Trinity and a dogfight at Pikeville. I like Trinity but they may not even be a Top 5 team in Louisville.
Trinity would absolutely crush Pikeville. Madison Central is not a good team. They were better last season but this season they have played an extremely weak schedule for a 6A team and any of the 4A contenders would have beaten MC with a running clock this season.

Pikeville has two very good high school running backs. They would struggle against Johnson Central's defense and they would be lucky to gain positive yardage against Trinity's defense. Pikeville might have more luck moving the ball against JC through the air, but Trinity's defense would wear down Pikeville's offensive line and the quarterback would be forced to scramble for his life on every play after his line became exhausted.

There is a huge gap in depth between Trinity, which has the top football program in the state and an enrolment of 1,173 boys, and Pikeville. Trinity has more than double the number of boys enrolled as Johnson Central. Good coaching can overcome a small enrollment but Trinity has a great coaching staff too. This is not a down year for Trinity and no school that is half the size of Trinity and has played a much, much weaker schedule is going to beat them this season, regardless of where the game is played. 

Where do you think that Pikeville has an edge over Trinity that would allow them to be competitive?
I hope this was satire Big Grin

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

Hoot may be a lot of things but "class snob" he's not. LOL    I would be rooting like heck for your Panthers in a matchup against the preppy snobs from Trinity .  But I watched Corbin pretty much dominate the last three quarters against Pikeville and Trinity would absolutely demolish the Hounds.  I would cheer like heck for the Panthers against Trinity  but I doubt it would end well.

CalPreps says : Trinity 26 Corbin 14 in a neutral field matchup. I don't think it would be nearly that close.
(10-14-2022, 11:44 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

Trinity would absolutely crush Pikeville. Madison Central is not a good team. They were better last season but this season they have played an extremely weak schedule for a 6A team and any of the 4A contenders would have beaten MC with a running clock this season.

Pikeville has two very good high school running backs. They would struggle against Johnson Central's defense and they would be lucky to gain positive yardage against Trinity's defense. Pikeville might have more luck moving the ball against JC through the air, but Trinity's defense would wear down Pikeville's offensive line and the quarterback would be forced to scramble for his life on every play after his line became exhausted.

There is a huge gap in depth between Trinity, which has the top football program in the state and an enrolment of 1,173 boys, and Pikeville. Trinity has more than double the number of boys enrolled as Johnson Central. Good coaching can overcome a small enrollment but Trinity has a great coaching staff too. This is not a down year for Trinity and no school that is half the size of Trinity and has played a much, much weaker schedule is going to beat them this season, regardless of where the game is played. 

Where do you think that Pikeville has an edge over Trinity that would allow them to be competitive?

I didn't say they had an edge. But they have as many or more players making plays. I will go with my own eyes and ears backed up by 100 years of watching games as well as Calpreps and all the polls, you can stick to class snobbery which is constantly being debunked by great small school teams. 

Since student body is a huge huge factor in your algorithm, find out for us how many students North Laurel has as well as GRC.
Pikeville beat NL in the Sweet 16 last year and took GRC (state champs) to the final 30 seconds. Surely schools with thousands of students can keep 5 superior players on the court at all times? And deep bench to wear down little school?
Same thing in baseball. And football. Good or great small schools beating big schools all year every year.
(10-14-2022, 12:12 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

Hoot may be a lot of things but "class snob" he's not. LOL    I would be rooting like heck for your Panthers in a matchup against the preppy snobs from Trinity .  But I watched Corbin pretty much dominate the last three quarters against Pikeville and Trinity would absolutely demolish the Hounds.  I would cheer like heck for the Panthers against Trinity  but I doubt it would end well.

CalPreps  says :  Trinity  26  Corbin 14 in a neutral field matchup.  I don't think it would be nearly that close.

Pretty much dominate a 5 point win with Pikeville deep in Corbin territory in the last minute lol. Pikeville now has a full-time starting quarterback, would love to get Corbin in Pikeville...

CALPREPS.COM

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2021] Pikeville (KY) 27, [2021] Corbin (KY) 26

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...ts_87848_0

Pikeville QB has been phenominal since becoming full-time QB...
Have a nice day boys bigger fish to fry today lol
(10-14-2022, 12:20 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

I didn't say they had an edge. But they have as many or more players making plays. I will go with my own eyes and ears backed up by 100 years of watching games as well as Calpreps and all the polls, you can stick to class snobbery which is constantly being debunked by great small school teams. 

Since student body is a huge huge factor in your algorithm, find out for us how many students North Laurel has as well as GRC.
Pikeville beat NL in the Sweet 16 last year and took GRC (state champs) to the final 30 seconds. Surely schools with thousands of students can keep 5 superior players on the court at all times? And deep bench to wear down little school?
Same thing in baseball. And football. Good or great small schools beating big schools all year every year.

"There you go again,"  as Reagan said to Carter.  Calling my buddy Hoot a class snob.   I do get your point, Jet. Small schools can and do pull off some surprising upsets against bigger schools. Movies have been made about it happening. But Hoot is being a logician here. If a team was formed by pooling the very best talent from Corbin and Pikeville ("CorPike"), they would still probably would lose big to Trinity, much to my chagrin.

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

Cal Preps isn't that some computer out in California? Can't believe some people really go by this stuff. Really not sure why I'm commenting guess I'm bored and it's no slight on Pikeville, and I no Chris Mac well, Trinity is not that great this year and would still RC Pikeville and yes I have seen both teams play. If you go by Madison Central- they barely beat Madison Southern, Dunbar, and LCA pretty sure they all have losing records. Again no slight on Pikeville it's just a whole different level.
(10-14-2022, 12:24 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-14-2022, 12:12 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

CalPreps  says :  Trinity  26  Corbin 14 in a neutral field matchup.  I don't think it would be nearly that close.

Pretty much dominate a 5 point win with Pikeville deep in Corbin territory in the last minute lol. Pikeville now has a full-time starting quarterback, would love to get Corbin in Pikeville...

CALPREPS.COM

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2021] Pikeville (KY) 27, [2021] Corbin (KY) 26

Corbin left a lot of points on the board in that one .  Should have scored another two TDs, at least.  Having said that,  Corbin @ Pikeville would be one helluva game.   Trinity @ Corbin    or Trinity @ Pikeville , probably not so much.   Just call me a class snob. LOL

(10-14-2022, 12:35 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote: [ -> ]

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

Cal Preps isn't that some computer out in California? Can't believe some people really go by this stuff. Really not sure why I'm commenting guess I'm bored and it's no slight on Pikeville, and I no Chris Mac well, Trinity is not that great this year and would still RC Pikeville and yes I have seen both teams play. If you go by Madison Central- they barely beat Madison Southern, Dunbar, and LCA pretty sure they all have losing records. Again no slight on Pikeville it's just a whole different level.

I love my jetpilot but he has blinders on when it comes to his beloved Panthers. And that's understandable. A lot of Corbinites sleep with their red shades on when it comes to their Hounds. Using a California-based computer to predict games seems to be an unreliable exercise.  Hell, the damn thing is bound to be liberal!!!   LOL
I have no doubt this season Pikeville could play with and beat any team in 1A-3A on any given night, they could also lose to to a few teams in 1A-3A on any given night

Since Corbin is a top 4A team this season and I think those teams are very close in talent I think they could beat any team in 4A, they could also lose to several teams in 4A...the only team in 4A I'm not sure about is Boyle County because I personally think they are the best team in 4A but I'll be rooting hard for Corbin or Johnson Central to win it all.

But 6A is a whole different story, Trinity would obviously beat Pikeville easily and 99% of Pikeville fans know that.

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

I am sure that you are smart enough to know how much more important enrollment size is to a football program compared to basketball or baseball, so I am not going to waste my time trying to explain the statistical principles that make enrollment size less important to sports where the number of participants is much smaller than 22. Three great basketball players can turn an average basketball team into a great team. Three great pitchers throwing to a decent catcher can give any high school baseball team a great shot at winning a tournament. Three great football players on a team cannot overcome 22 very good players that are well coached.

Yes, great small school teams do beat big schools every year. Great small school teams do not beat great big school teams every year. That is a very rare occurrence and much more rare than small school teams beating big school teams in other sports. Pikeville has a great small school team.
Pages: 1 2