Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 68 Prestonsburg 21
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final.

Congratulations Wildcats!!
Tied 14-14 after the first quarter. Blackcats are marching down the field to take the lead again and the Blackcats fumble inside the SV 15. Valley recovers and scores about 4 or 5 plays later and goes up, 21-14. Blackcats would fumble the following kickoff return and SV would take over at the Pburg 35 and then would convert a 4th & 20 and score a few plays after that to go up, 28-14. Pburg's offense would fail to convert a 4th & 4 and Valley took over with just under a minute left in the half and Russ Osborne would go on to lead Valley right down the field and make one of the crazier plays I've seen all season, as he danced around and the Blackcats secondary gets caught falling asleep and Osborne throws up a prayer as he's being pulled down and SV scores to end the first half to go up 35-14. Again, game was tied with 8 mins left in the 2nd quarter and Prestonsburg was driving to score, but two fumbles and a lot of missed tackles absolutely killed them to end the first half.

Hats off to Shelby Valley. Newsome was a man tonight and Russ Osborne played a great game too. When that offense gets rolling they're fun to watch and really hard to defend. I thought Pburg's staff done a good job at having guys in the right position, but SV will make you pay if you don't play disciplined football.

Not having Nick Porter tonight hurt Prestonsburg also, but it didn't wind up hurting as much as I thought it would on offense, but he was missed on defense. Blackcats need him to be 100% before the playoffs. Pburg was also without starting corner, Makan Willoughby and having him would've helped contain SV skill guys from getting the edge so much.

Ethan Jarvis played a great football game once again for Prestonsburg, but it seemed like SV kept the football after the two Pburg fumbles in the second quarter. EJ is warrior and will always give 110%.

Overall, Prestonsburg is better than they showed tonight. I don't think they would've won, but this game was going to be closer if they punch in that touchdown midway through the 2nd quarter, but that's how games go. You turn the ball over against good teams and you will pay in a big way for it and SV made them pay.

Congrats Wildcats!

Blackcats need to regroup and get ready for another big game at West Carter.
Congratulations Shelby Valley!
Congratulations to Shelby Valley
Good district win for SV!! Looks like I was completely wrong about my comments & pick in this one yesterday evening!! I didn't think it would be a blow out either way, but I really thought P-burg was gonna get the W. Sounds like they had their chances, tied with 8 minutes left in the 1st & driving to score before a turnover stopped them in their tracks. P-burg would also fumble the ensuing kickoff & let SV convert a 4th & 20 which eventually led to SV scoring. Fells like to me when things went bad the Blackcats went with them!! Instead of regaining their composure & putting things behind them, they let their mistakes fester & grow into something that kills a team when it happens!! Congrats SV!!
I watched a lot of the game and thought the score was a good indication of the teams. IMO Shelby Valley is head and shoulders above Pburg. Pburg's first score was set up when Valley fumbled on their side of the field. They both made mistakes that the other team took advantage of.
Huge win for the Wildcats!

Like others have mentioned, this game was close for about a quarter and a half.  The turnover bug hurt Valley early on and allowed PBurg to hold a 14-7 lead, but a Blackcat fumble would even the early turnover margin, and SV would soon take their first lead at 21-14.  Still, PBurg would get the ball with a chance to tie the game up, but another fumble on the kickoff was an absolute killer.  Once SV took advantage of the short field to grab a 2 touchdown lead, you could sense that the tide had shifted in their favor.  Then after PBurg failed to convert a 4th down, Valley marched down the field and scored another touchdown on a Russ Osborne prayer that was answered as time expired.  With a 35-14 halftime lead, this game was effectively over.

The second half looked like PBurg's spirit was broken.  SV scored the next 4 scores to stretch the lead to 62-14 at one point, meaning that after the Blackcats took the 14-7 lead, Valley scored the next 8 touchdowns in a row.  That's impressive.  I would be curious to see the stats from last night, because several Wildcats had big nights offensively.

On to next week's game against Martin County!  After the Cardinals blew out East Ridge, the matchup between SV and MC looks like the de facto district championship.
(10-01-2022, 11:56 AM)More Cowbell Wrote: [ -> ]Huge win for the Wildcats!

Like others have mentioned, this game was close for about a quarter and a half.  The turnover bug hurt Valley early on and allowed PBurg to hold a 14-7 lead, but a Blackcat fumble would even the early turnover margin, and SV would soon take their first lead at 21-14.  Still, PBurg would get the ball with a chance to tie the game up, but another fumble on the kickoff was an absolute killer.  Once SV took advantage of the short field to grab a 2 touchdown lead, you could sense that the tide had shifted in their favor.  Then after PBurg failed to convert a 4th down, Valley marched down the field and scored another touchdown on a Russ Osborne prayer that was answered as time expired.  With a 35-14 halftime lead, this game was effectively over.

The second half looked like PBurg's spirit was broken.  SV scored the next 4 scores to stretch the lead to 62-14 at one point, meaning that after the Blackcats took the 14-7 lead, Valley scored the next 8 touchdowns in a row.  That's impressive.  I would be curious to see the stats from last night, because several Wildcats had big nights offensively.

On to next week's game against Martin County!  After the Cardinals blew out East Ridge, the matchup between SV and MC looks like the de facto district championship.
That game next week will be huge for the #1 seed in the district. If I’m correct, then that district will match up with d7 which is the Breathitt, Middlesboro, Leslie, and Morgan district. Breathitt is head and shoulders above everyone else in that district so most likely the loser next week will go to Breathitt in round 2.
I kept quiet all week because I was afraid this is exactly how this game would go. Been saying all year that the Blackcats secondary is the Achilles heel of this team, and they got hammered.

But, SV is just straight up a better football team all around. Even if the Blackcats didn't turn the ball over they had no chance to keep up with the scoring that SV produces. I think they're your district Champs.

Congrats, Wildcats. Well deserved win.

Keep grinding, Blackcats.

Season isn't over yet.
Prestonsburg. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Finally played somebody. Now you see how good you are. Martin county will also put a running clock on prestonsburg too. Prestonsburg isn't very good. Up until the Shelby valley game had not played anybody. East ridge should of beat prestonsbirg but you don't see them on here making excuses why they got a running clock put on them??????
Unfortunately this is what happens when you play for paper and limit your schedule
Here come the haters…
Keep it up Shelby Valley. From an outsider, I'd like to see a deep playoff run.
(10-02-2022, 06:44 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Here come the haters…

proof is in the pudding.
(09-30-2022, 11:29 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Tied 14-14 after the first quarter. Blackcats are marching down the field to take the lead again and the Blackcats fumble inside the SV 15. Valley recovers and scores about 4 or 5 plays later and goes up, 21-14. Blackcats would fumble the following kickoff return and SV would take over at the Pburg 35 and then would convert a 4th & 20 and score a few plays after that to go up, 28-14. Pburg's offense would fail to convert a 4th & 4 and Valley took over with just under a minute left in the half and Russ Osborne would go on to lead Valley right down the field and make one of the crazier plays I've seen all season, as he danced around and the Blackcats secondary gets caught falling asleep and Osborne throws up a prayer as he's being pulled down and SV scores to end the first half to go up 35-14. Again, game was tied with 8 mins left in the 2nd quarter and Prestonsburg was driving to score, but two fumbles and a lot of missed tackles absolutely killed them to end the first half.

Hats off to Shelby Valley. Newsome was a man tonight and Russ Osborne played a great game too. When that offense gets rolling they're fun to watch and really hard to defend. I thought Pburg's staff done a good job at having guys in the right position, but SV will make you pay if you don't play disciplined football.

Not having Nick Porter tonight hurt Prestonsburg also, but it didn't wind up hurting as much as I thought it would on offense, but he was missed on defense. Blackcats need him to be 100% before the playoffs. Pburg was also without starting corner, Makan Willoughby and having him would've helped contain SV skill guys from getting the edge so much.

Ethan Jarvis played a great football game once again for Prestonsburg, but it seemed like SV kept the football after the two Pburg fumbles in the second quarter. EJ is warrior and will always give 110%.

Overall, Prestonsburg is better than they showed tonight. I don't think they would've won, but this game was going to be closer if they punch in that touchdown midway through the 2nd quarter, but that's how games go. You turn the ball over against good teams and you will pay in a big way for it and SV made them pay.

Congrats Wildcats!

Claim a moral victory and make those excuses if you want, but PBURG basically got beat by 8 TD's!

You played a solid team and got exposed, point blank.
Prestonsburg may be a little better than they showed against Shelby Valley, but when you give up 68 points to any team your defense isn't very good.
I won't say Pburg is a bad team.  I think they are good, and I would go as far as saying pretty good at what they do.  I am not going to lie.  I once hated Prestonsburg worse than any team in the state.  That is because I played for the Bobcats, and we just hated them.  I considered them along with MC Napier two of  the dirtiest teams I every played against.  I will say I took every cheap shot I could against them when we played so I guess it was tit for tat.  After getting to know some of their former players, having some former teammates send their sons their to play, and getting to somewhat know James Derossett, etc, I no longer hate them.  I hope they continue to improve, and I hope they start making playoff runs again, and become the second best team in Floyd County.
(10-03-2022, 01:41 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]I won't say Pburg is a bad team.  I think they are good, and I would go as far as saying pretty good at what they do.  I am not going to lie.  I once hated Prestonsburg worse than any team in the state.  That is because I played for the Bobcats, and we just hated them.  I considered them along with MC Napier two of  the dirtiest teams I every played against.  I will say I took every cheap shot I could against them when we played so I guess it was tit for tat.  After getting to know some of their former players, having some former teammates send their sons their to play, and getting to somewhat know James Derossett, etc, I no longer hate them.  I hope they continue to improve, and I hope they start making playoff runs again, and become the second best team in Floyd County.

You had me all in until that last line! Haha
(10-03-2022, 01:44 PM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2022, 01:41 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]I won't say Pburg is a bad team.  I think they are good, and I would go as far as saying pretty good at what they do.  I am not going to lie.  I once hated Prestonsburg worse than any team in the state.  That is because I played for the Bobcats, and we just hated them.  I considered them along with MC Napier two of  the dirtiest teams I every played against.  I will say I took every cheap shot I could against them when we played so I guess it was tit for tat.  After getting to know some of their former players, having some former teammates send their sons their to play, and getting to somewhat know James Derossett, etc, I no longer hate them.  I hope they continue to improve, and I hope they start making playoff runs again, and become the second best team in Floyd County.

You had me all in until that last line! Haha

SmileBig Grin
(10-03-2022, 09:47 AM)BillSelf Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-30-2022, 11:29 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Tied 14-14 after the first quarter. Blackcats are marching down the field to take the lead again and the Blackcats fumble inside the SV 15. Valley recovers and scores about 4 or 5 plays later and goes up, 21-14. Blackcats would fumble the following kickoff return and SV would take over at the Pburg 35 and then would convert a 4th & 20 and score a few plays after that to go up, 28-14. Pburg's offense would fail to convert a 4th & 4 and Valley took over with just under a minute left in the half and Russ Osborne would go on to lead Valley right down the field and make one of the crazier plays I've seen all season, as he danced around and the Blackcats secondary gets caught falling asleep and Osborne throws up a prayer as he's being pulled down and SV scores to end the first half to go up 35-14. Again, game was tied with 8 mins left in the 2nd quarter and Prestonsburg was driving to score, but two fumbles and a lot of missed tackles absolutely killed them to end the first half.

Congrats Wildcats!

Claim a moral victory and make those excuses if you want, but PBURG basically got beat by 8 TD's!

You played a solid team and got exposed, point blank.
Blah… blah… blah
Opponents up to SV game 8-23 record
I bleed black and red and I am as loyal and true as anyone in Prestonsburg, but the weak schedule really didn't prepare the Blackcats for this game. I loved being 6-0 and it has brought back a lot of excitement and enthusiasm to the program, but I had a feeling all of this was "fools gold", as I had mentioned in past threads. Prestonsburg has improved, and although they are playing a very weak schedule, these are games they would have lost in years past under Brewer. I don't think Shelby Valley is a 7 or 8 touchdown better team than P-Burg, but they are definitely on another level. Take away the turnovers on offense and our boys didn't play that bad. They moved the ball, but we had critical turnovers that cost us points and momentum. The onside kicks were brutal and that is something that can not happen. Defensively, we got exposed. Poor tackling, poor execution in the secondary, and our defensive line got pushed around all night. The absence of Porter on the defensive line really stood out.

Now, looking ahead to the next three games, we have West Carter, Bath County, and Martin County. I think it's possible we win two of the three. I think Martin County will be a tough match up, and I could see us losing that game. Bath County is way down, and I see a possible running clock in that match up. West Carter is 1-5, but they are playing some of their best football at this time, and being on the road, anything can happen. If Porter isn't available, it really hurts in this match up, because I feel like we would have a big advantage on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. This is the most important game of the three, because if we lose this game, we would probably end up being the 4 seed in the district, unless we could somehow beat Martin County. That would put us playing the #1 seed in the opposite district, which will probably be Breathitt County. So we need to win at least 2 of the last 3 games to have a decent shot at winning a first round playoff game.
(10-04-2022, 08:18 AM)Eagleland Wrote: [ -> ]Opponents up to SV game 8-23 record
Did a little digging into this.  Betsy Layne was responsible for 3 of the 8 wins.  The teams that BL beat have a combined record of 2-17 with both of those wins coming against Jackson County.  This just shows the massive disparity between the good and bad teams.  Playing a watered down schedule may look good for statistics but it is going to lead to an early exit in the playoffs in most cases.  

I'm not taking a shot at Prestonsburg, this post just made me want to look into Betsy Layne's SOS or lack there of.  I do think that programs that are trying to rebuild need to try and schedule some cupcakes to get the confidence and fan support back in the community.  It has been years since Prestonsburg has had this much community support and I hope that it stays that way.  Mountain football is better when the Blackcats are competitive and so much of that starts with community support.