Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central 56 Clay County 20
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
About what I expected. I figured CC would score a couple. And if I had to guess the last one was on the JV? Congrats Johnson central. And not bad clay co. NO TD is easy on the eagles.
Some unofficial stats for JC:

Rushing yards: 441 yards

Individual rushing yards:

Mason Lawson  130
Zack McCoart    142
Chase Price       158

Carter Conley did not play for JC and I still have not heard anybody say when or if he is expected to return.

Junior QB Tate Rice passed for 173 yards but Clay County had negative rushing yardage.

I didn't get to watch the game but it sounded like Clay County's offense is much better than the past few seasons. I expect that they are going to light up some scoreboards in their remaining district games this season. I watched some video clips of Rice before the game and he looks like a very good quarterback.
(09-30-2022, 11:00 PM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]About what I expected.  I figured CC would score a couple. And if I had to guess the last one was on the JV? Congrats Johnson central. And not bad clay co.  NO TD is easy on the eagles.

Johnson Central dominated the vast majority of the game. The Tigers made it competitive for a second at 35-20. All scores were during Varsity action, to the best of my knowledge. I’ve said it before but that early loss to North will benefit the Golden Eagles. They’re a machine. I think the Tigers showed flashes that outside of teams like JC (Top 6-7 teams), they can play with anyone.
Congratulations Johnson Central!
Closer then I thought it would be , and I look for the same outcome next week when my commodores head to Johnson central, it will get ugly early I’m afraid.
(09-30-2022, 11:43 PM)UKCC Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-30-2022, 11:00 PM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]About what I expected.  I figured CC would score a couple. And if I had to guess the last one was on the JV? Congrats Johnson central. And not bad clay co.  NO TD is easy on the eagles.

Johnson Central dominated the vast majority of the game. The Tigers made it competitive for a second at 35-20. All scores were during Varsity action, to the best of my knowledge. I’ve said it before but that early loss to North will benefit the Golden Eagles. They’re a machine. I think the Tigers showed flashes that outside of teams like JC (Top 6-7 teams), they can play with anyone.
Clay is exactly where they were last year, 4-2. Last year they finished at 5-6.  Will this season be different?
(10-01-2022, 12:20 AM)BUFFALO Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-30-2022, 11:43 PM)UKCC Wrote: [ -> ]

Clay is exactly where they were last year, 4-2. Last year they finished at 5-6.  Will this season be different?
I think that they have a decent shot at finishing the regular season at 8-2 and better than 50/50 chance of finishing 7-3. The only team that has scored more against Johnson Central this year was Ironton and they had a D-1 quarterback, a  D-1 receiver, and a 4-star D-1 running back. Perry County struggled to beat Perry County Central tonight, and Letcher County Central has given up a lot of points this season.

Johnson Central was in control of this game from early in the 2nd quarter but the score was respectable until the 4th quarter. I suspect that Clay County just got worn down late in the game and Clay County will not face another team as deep as JC before the playoffs.
Even better if all TD’s were on the varsity. Unless god forbid, injuries, or a total breakdown. I see cc finishing better than 5-6
Congratulations to Johnson Central
(10-01-2022, 01:09 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]Even better if all TD’s were on the varsity. Unless god forbid, injuries, or a total breakdown. I see cc finishing better than 5-6
I'll go with 6-4 or 6-5 .
Congrats Johnson!! from everything I’ve heard clay held their own for 3 1/2 quarters.
(10-01-2022, 06:10 PM)FallRock Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats Johnson!! from everything I’ve heard clay held their own for 3 1/2 quarters.
They did not hold their own
Congrats JC.
WSIP's unofficial stats for the game, which I posted earlier, were way off. The stats from KHSAA are listed below:

Total yards rushing: 521

Total yards passing: 0

Individual rushing:

Zack McCoart     13 carries, 192 yards, 3 touchdowns
Chase Price        15 carries, 187 yards, 2 touchdowns
Mason Lawson    14 carries, 137 yards, 2 touchdowns

Jacob Grimm        2 carries, 1 yard, 1 touchdown
Christian  Barnes  2 carries, 5 yards
Barnes, Caleb       1 carry, -1 yard

Freshman Logan Music started on defense last night but did not have any rushing attempts. I did not hear anybody give any reason that he played defense only. Maybe they wanted to keep him fresh and focused on pass coverage.

Clay County's stats have not been posted yet.
Pretty balanced stats.
(10-01-2022, 11:52 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty balanced stats.
For years, Johnson Central featured one running back who would have 1500 yards+, which was great until late in the playoffs or until that running back was injured. I think that the lack of depth is what held the program back before Jim Matney became head coach and it took a few years for him to build a program with the depth that they have now. J.J. Jude was a great high school running back but if a good team could hold him under 150 yards rushing, then they had a good chance of winning.

McCoart, Music, and Conley will return next season, along with Grimm at quarterback. Having a successful wrestling program - and Coach Matney was as well known around the state as a wrestling coach as he was as a football coach, has also given a big boost the the football program. IMO, there is no better sport to develop strength, balance, and quickness than wrestling. A wrestling match is the longest 6 minutes in sports.
I wish we had a wrestling program!! As
You said, it would help us tremendously.
Wrestling also makes you a fierce competitor IMO. There’s no hiding or bowing out, it’s man v man let’s see who comes out on top.