Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region Freshman?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What Freshman in the 15th are going to step up for their team this year?
You can count on Shepherd at LC making alot of noise again this year.
Big Dawg Wrote:You can count on Shepherd at LC making alot of noise again this year.

omg! What this kid has done is phenomenal. Coming into varsity ball in the 7th grade and pitching competitively by the eighth grade. I got high hopes for him come this year and the next four years.
Big Dawg Wrote:You can count on Shepherd at LC making alot of noise again this year.
He's a great player with tons of potential. I've played with him many times and watched him played with my brother from the time he was 10 he dominated teams and these weren't bad teams. He didn't lose more than 2 games in the 4 years he played with us. He keeps getting better and better. He does more than just pitch as well, he is an exellent fielder and his hitting will catch up soon. If I was him I'd get off the Football field lol.
Shepherd
Paintsville has a very talented freshman coming up Jackson. He threw up to 76 mph in JR. League play last year. One game striking out 18 batters
Chandler Shepherd is hands down the best freshman in the 15th region at this present time, but there is one kid from Johnson Central that will eclipse him and every other pitcher in the region in a couple of years and that is Johnson Central's Cody Parker. It's certainly not out of the question that he could do it this coming year. He is 6'5" right now and was touching the mid eighties as an 8th grader. Cody has not the first clue as to what his potential is. If someone would make the effort to put him under their wings, he IMO has the chance to be the best pitcher to ever come out of the 15th region if he would truely dedicate himself to the craft. Huge statement to make I know. Parkers best asset is that he has the prototypical body that major league scouts druel over and the fact that he has not even began to touch what his potential is. He is perhaps the biggest prospect (potential wise) to come out of this area in a long long time.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Chandler Shepherd is hands down the best freshman in the 15th region at this present time, but there is one kid from Johnson Central that will eclipse him and every other pitcher in the region in a couple of years and that is Johnson Central's Cody Parker. It's certainly not out of the question that he could do it this coming year. He is 6'5" right now and was touching the mid eighties as an 8th grader. Cody has not the first clue as to what his potential is. If someone would make the effort to put him under their wings, he IMO has the chance to be the best pitcher to ever come out of the 15th region if he would truely dedicate himself to the craft. Huge statement to make I know. Parkers best asset is that he has the prototypical body that major league scouts druel over and the fact that he has not even began to touch what his potential is. He is perhaps the biggest prospect (potential wise) to come out of this area in a long long time.

Man, absolutely great post. Shepherd was amazing last year and will only get better. Will be fun to watch him develop for 4 more years. As for Parker, I dont think it could have been said any better. Hopefully having a head coach with a pitching background will only help bring him to his full potential. I hope Parker gets it in his head the things you have said and realizes that it takes more than just the usual "go to practice and games", and really dedicates himself to what he could be on the hill. I know theres no question he wants to. Whether I see him during football or basketball season, we always end up talking about baseball and his pitching in some form.
I think Jackson from Paintsville will be another nice pitcher in the 57th, as well as a couple more who could be.
I can see many highly anticipated, but low scoring ballgames in the 57th/15th in the coming years jus because of these guys.
Exciting times ahead for area baseball, with some of the talent that hasnt even begun to blossom.
Kid could have a bright future if he would listen.
OffTheHook Wrote:Kid could have a bright future if he would listen.

His biggest obstacle to overcome is that ball that you bounce in the winter time and the ignorance of a lot of eastern Kentucky people. Unfortunately everybody around here thinks they are basketball players . He needs a mentor the worst in the world.

College is not for everyone, and there is no future in the sport with the round ball that you bounce. We'll just leave it at that. BUT, there is certainly nothing wrong with signing that bonus for 7 digits right out of high school. I really dont think that he fully understands what is realisticly within his grasp.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:His biggest obstacle to overcome is that ball that you bounce in the winter time and the ignorance of a lot of eastern Kentucky people. Unfortunately everybody around here thinks they are basketball players . He needs a mentor the worst in the world.

College is not for everyone, and there is no future in the sport with the round ball that you bounce. We'll just leave it at that. BUT, there is certainly nothing wrong with signing that bonus for 7 digits right out of high school. I really dont think that he fully understands what is realisticly within his grasp.
could not agree with you more about the round ball thing. But you are right someone must work with this kid and look out for his wellbeing. I think most readers of this forum would agree that Scott little was one of the best freshman this region has seen in a while. He is now recovering from Tommy John surgery. SOMEONE MUST TAKE CARE OF THIS KID.
Where are his parents/family? I would think if he was an athlete of that potential, people would be lining up to care of him?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Chandler Shepherd is hands down the best freshman in the 15th region at this present time, but there is one kid from Johnson Central that will eclipse him and every other pitcher in the region in a couple of years and that is Johnson Central's Cody Parker. It's certainly not out of the question that he could do it this coming year. He is 6'5" right now and was touching the mid eighties as an 8th grader. Cody has not the first clue as to what his potential is. If someone would make the effort to put him under their wings, he IMO has the chance to be the best pitcher to ever come out of the 15th region if he would truely dedicate himself to the craft. Huge statement to make I know. Parkers best asset is that he has the prototypical body that major league scouts druel over and the fact that he has not even began to touch what his potential is. He is perhaps the biggest prospect (potential wise) to come out of this area in a long long time.
A long time ago, there was a kid that had a ton of potential as a pitcher. His family didn't have the resources to give him what he needed nor the ability to even get him exposure.
A coach at a nearby school saw this, and took the kid under his wing, helped and promoted the kid. Took the kid to several places so that big wheels could see the kid.
The kid was drafted and had a very promising future with the Reds until his arm gave way and ended his career way to short. But baseball was still a huge part of his legacy.
Maybe it doesn't have to be Parkers family. maybe someone out there could just see the potential in Cody and try and help him out.
And for those that hadn't already figured it out......The "kid" became "Legendary High School Baseball Coach, Charlie Adkins......The Coach that deserves at least some of the credit....The late "Coach Mac"!
The Guru Wrote:A long time ago, there was a kid that had a ton of potential as a pitcher. His family didn't have the resources to give him what he needed nor the ability to even get him exposure.
A coach at a nearby school saw this, and took the kid under his wing, helped and promoted the kid. Took the kid to several places so that big wheels could see the kid.
The kid was drafted and had a very promising future with the Reds until his arm gave way and ended his career way to short. But baseball was still a huge part of his legacy.
Maybe it doesn't have to be Parkers family. maybe someone out there could just see the potential in Cody and try and help him out.
And for those that hadn't already figured it out......The "kid" became "Legendary High School Baseball Coach, Charlie Adkins......The Coach that deserves at least some of the credit....The late "Coach Mac"!
Coach Mac? Would that be Mac Whittaker?

Adkins did play at Morehead (under Sonny Allen) and to this day still holds the single season school record as having the lowest ERA. He also played with another Johnson Co. native at that time who also made a pretty good name for himself at Morehead. That guy happened to also be his battery mate. He was (Johnson Central's own legendary coach)Mike Collins who was also drafted by the Mets. He also is the only player ever to play at Morehead who was All OVC three times.

Keep in mind that this not the same Morehead State baseball program that we know of now. They were at one time the PREMIER college baseball program in all of Kentucky.
Dawg@heart Wrote:Where are his parents/family? I would think if he was an athlete of that potential, people would be lining up to care of him?
You would certainly think so. Keep in mind we also live in an area that has the mentality that we are still basketball players and will all play for UK one day.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Coach Mac? Would that be Mac Whittaker?

Adkins did play at Morehead (under Sonny Allen) and to this day still holds the single season school record as having the lowest ERA. He also played with another Johnson Co. native at that time who also made a pretty good name for himself at Morehead. That guy happened to also be his battery mate. He was (Johnson Central's own legendary coach)Mike Collins who was also drafted by the Mets. He also is the only player ever to play at Morehead who was All OVC three times.

Keep in mind that this not the same Morehead State baseball program that we know of now. They were at one time the PREMIER college baseball program in all of Kentucky.

No that would be Bruce McClin ( not sure of the spelling of last name )
kyrifle Wrote:No that would be Bruce McClin ( not sure of the spelling of last name )
Thanks rifle, I figured that you would have some interesting comments as you are one of the more informed posters on here. I knew that Mac Whitaker was still alive and well.
kyrifle Wrote:No that would be Bruce McClin ( not sure of the spelling of last name )
Yep.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You would certainly think so. Keep in mind we also live in an area that has the mentality that we are still basketball players and will all play for UK one day.

I think most all basketball players in Kentucky dream of that but the reality is slim to none. I just wondered about Parker's "support" staff-I've always heard how athletically talented he is but that he didn't draw the support he requires.
Shepherd on that note has been raised to pitch since he was very young and has a tremendous "support staff" from his family to his coaches. He himself knows what its going to take to get him to the next level. Should be exciting to watch over the years.
Dawg@heart Wrote:I think most all basketball players in Kentucky dream of that but the reality is slim to none. I just wondered about Parker's "support" staff-I've always heard how athletically talented he is but that he didn't draw the support he requires.
Shepherd on that note has been raised to pitch since he was very young and has a tremendous "support staff" from his family to his coaches. He himself knows what its going to take to get him to the next level. Should be exciting to watch over the years.

that kid is not even in the same league as shepherd...shouldn't even come close to a comparison, shepherd is heads and shoulders above this kid when it comes to natural ability
OMG Wrote:that kid is not even in the same league as shepherd...shouldn't even come close to a comparison, shepherd is heads and shoulders above this kid when it comes to natural ability

I doubt that you know the first thing about him. Shephard has been tutored since the day he was placed on this earth. Parker has never had the first bit of instuction. It was said that Shephard is hands down head and shoulders above everyone else (for right now), but it was said in a couple of years that someone would put him under their wing that he has unlimited potential and he will dwarf every pitcher in the 15th region both in stature and in talent, because it for sure hasn't even begun to be tapped yet. Shephard is what, about 5'11"? Parker is 6'5" and throws every bit as hard as Shephard and has never once ever been subjected to any form of an off season throwing program, or any instuction what so ever. If you are from Paintsville as you claim, which (I personally think that you hang somewhere around the vicinity of Pikeville College). But just in case, say you are, ask your buddy Chas Harmon how almost impossible it is to get the nod over a 6'4 to 6'6" guy. He found that out this summer when he clearly outclassed several of the tall guys, but then found out he wasn't needed with the Reds enough to get to the next tryout stage. Tell you what, you look at every roster of every team in the major leagues and tell me how many 6' right handed pitchers you see on their rosters. You will find that they are as scarce as hens teeth, and almost non existant. It's the same way in college. They all want the big tall lanky right handers, because they think that if you are a 5'10" or 5'11" right hander that you have physically peaked out. Go ahead look at the rosters even in college and you report back to this board how many 6' right handers you find on a major D1 roster. Just about as scarce as they are in the majors.

If you want to talk about refined talent, yeah I'll agree , (because I like Shephard), but if you want to talk about and compare raw, natural, undeveloped talent, then you can close that book on that one, because that one aint even close there little buddy.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I doubt that you know the first thing about him. Shephard has been tutored since the day he was placed on this earth. Parker has never had the first bit of instuction. It was said that Shephard is hands down head and shoulders above everyone else (for right now), but it was said in a couple of years that someone would put him under their wing that he has unlimited potential and he will dwarf every pitcher in the 15th region both in stature and in talent, because it for sure hasn't even begun to be tapped yet. Shephard is what, about 5'11"? Parker is 6'5" and throws every bit as hard as Shephard and has never once ever been subjected to any form of an off season throwing program, or any instuction what so ever. If you are from Paintsville as you claim, which (I personally think that you hang somewhere around the vicinity of Pikeville College). But just in case, say you are, ask your buddy Chas Harmon how almost impossible it is to get the nod over a 6'4 to 6'6" guy. He found that out this summer when he clearly outclassed several of the tall guys, but then found out he wasn't needed with the Reds enough to get to the next tryout stage. Tell you what, you look at every roster of every team in the major leagues and tell me how many 6' right handed pitchers you see on their rosters. You will find that they are as scarce as hens teeth, and almost non existant. It's the same way in college. They all want the big tall lanky right handers, because they think that if you are a 5'10" or 5'11" right hander that you have physically peaked out. Go ahead look at the rosters even in college and you report back to this board how many 6' right handers you find on a major D1 roster. Just about as scarce as they are in the majors.

If you want to talk about refined talent, yeah I'll agree , (because I like Shephard), but if you want to talk about and compare raw, natural, undeveloped talent, then you can close that book on that one, because that one aint even close there little buddy.

why do you keep calling me little buddy? FYI i was born and raised in paintsville until i went to college and i now live in lexington....so the pikeville college deal isn't correct, and i dont know how any of my posts would suggest that, but i do know chas very well, he was an unbelievable player...the size thing imo isn't an issue, and the fact that he hasn't had any instruction would indicated that shepherd is indeed better than him, theres really no way to support your argument unless you get this kid in some competitive situations...shepherd is 14 or 15 and i doubt he is done growing, so until the both are at the peak of their athletic ability the comparison is irrelevant...and since their not its obvious that shepherd is the best freshman in the 15th
shepherd has great composure to be so young..
OMG Wrote:why do you keep calling me little buddy? FYI i was born and raised in paintsville until i went to college and i now live in lexington....so the pikeville college deal isn't correct, and i dont know how any of my posts would suggest that, but i do know chas very well, he was an unbelievable player...the size thing imo isn't an issue, and the fact that he hasn't had any instruction would indicated that shepherd is indeed better than him, theres really no way to support your argument unless you get this kid in some competitive situations...shepherd is 14 or 15 and i doubt he is done growing, so until the both are at the peak of their athletic ability the comparison is irrelevant...and since their not its obvious that shepherd is the best freshman in the 15th
If you go back and read everything that I have said in this thread. I made if very clear that I thought that at this point in time that Shephard was indeed the best freshman in the region. Go ahead , go back and read every word that I said. You will see that that is exactly what I have said. I guess the biggest beef that I have is that you are trying to twist things around to make it appear that I dont think that Shephard is a heck of a player, and that is very far from the case. I said that in a couple of years however that time, experience and eventual tutoring would sway a lot of things in the other direction. Parker is a physical phenom. Raw ,and underdeveloped though. Perhaps no one ever will lend that helping hand. Who knows, but the rest of the 15th region better hope and pray that no one does. You also dont know when someone has peaked either, because there is no real way to tell that. Could it not be possible that Shephard has peaked? It certainly is because I've seen a hundred times kids developing at an an early age and then basicly stop developing. Then again perghaps that is not the case as well. Everything is all speculative in every thing that is being discussed here anyways. For all you know as well Parker may end up being 6'7" or 6'8" as well. Heck, the kid still has peach fuzz.

You also know danged well how the size issue works. It works in football the same way regarding quarterbacks in the NFL and in college. Doug Flutie may very well be the last 6' quarterback we will ever see in the NFL. It's really not a big secret in the world of college baseball and professional baseball when it comes to right handed pitchers. Ask Johnnie Lemasters about the Chas deal if you dont want to believe me, or ask Chas himself since you know him so well. I know full well that you know both of them very well. I noticed that you also have not presented your research to dispute my assurtion that the major D1 college ranks and the professional ranks are basicly void of 6' right handed pitchers.

What about Andrew McCormick? I know you know him very well too. He couldn't throw the ball over the plate for a strike if the plate was a yardstick and he basicly ended up walking half of the batters that he faced in college, but because he is 6'6" and hit 96 MPH at a showcase, he got drafted. I know the whys and hows of how he became drafted by the Cubs, because I know the scout for the Cubs very well that was responsible for getting him drafted and he shared to me at length the mentality of Major League baseball execs. He lives in Huntington, West Virginia and he and I have been friends for many many years. McCormick was referred to as being "projectable". "Projectable" meaning his heigth and velocity potential. I am placing Parker in this elite group of "projectables' at the high school level. A players value sometimes has absolutely nothing to do with " what you are able to do now", it's more times than not "we think this is what you will wind up being able to do later on down the road." Thus, there in fact lies all of the variables of the high school Cody Parkers of the world. Especially one that is only 15 years old and a freshman.

It is also not uncommon for members of this site to have multiple accounts . You want to dispute that one?
OMG Wrote:why do you keep calling me little buddy? FYI i was born and raised in paintsville until i went to college and i now live in lexington....so the pikeville college deal isn't correct, and i dont know how any of my posts would suggest that, but i do know chas very well, he was an unbelievable player...the size thing imo isn't an issue, and the fact that he hasn't had any instruction would indicated that shepherd is indeed better than him, theres really no way to support your argument unless you get this kid in some competitive situations...shepherd is 14 or 15 and i doubt he is done growing, so until the both are at the peak of their athletic ability the comparison is irrelevant...and since their not its obvious that shepherd is the best freshman in the 15th

its really pointless to argue with you because you are too caught up in who i am...if you are that interested pm me and ill tell you exactly who i am..
In response to a few of the above statements......
Shepherd is 6'2" and yes, is still growing. He is a young 15 and is a true freshman-he has never been held back. He plays 3 sports so an off season throwing program isn't the case. He also has never had any "specialized" training other than from his father, his grandfather, and now his high school coaches. He also is a raw talent, like Parker may be. Has he peaked?? Don't count on it. He only gets stronger and with 4 more high school seasons to play, I think we'll all enjoy watching him continue to develop.
Has he had more exposure than Cody? Can't say for sure but Shepherd has had the priviledge of playing outside of Louisa on several different teams while he was younger(10, 11, and 12 year old). He came straight from little league into pitching varsity baseball as a 7th grader.
Big Dawg Wrote:In response to a few of the above statements......
Shepherd is 6'2" and yes, is still growing. He is a young 15 and is a true freshman-he has never been held back. He plays 3 sports so an off season throwing program isn't the case. He also has never had any "specialized" training other than from his father, his grandfather, and now his high school coaches. He also is a raw talent, like Parker may be. Has he peaked?? Don't count on it. He only gets stronger and with 4 more high school seasons to play, I think we'll all enjoy watching him continue to develop.
Has he had more exposure than Cody? Can't say for sure but Shepherd has had the priviledge of playing outside of Louisa on several different teams while he was younger(10, 11, and 12 year old). He came straight from little league into pitching varsity baseball as a 7th grader.

i thought he was taller than 5'11" if this parker kid was as good as people say why hasn't he been pitching like shepherd has, you would think coach hall would make it his personal mission to develop this kid, if he were that good
Have you ever seen Chandler play football? He simply stated has God given, natural talent. He plays with ease whether it be baseball or football. Lucky for him, it all comes to him naturally and I agree, he will only get better as time goes on.
Dawg@heart Wrote:Have you ever seen Chandler play football? He simply stated has God given, natural talent. He plays with ease whether it be baseball or football. Lucky for him, it all comes to him naturally and I agree, he will only get better as time goes on.

thats scary if he does, he could end up being one of the best all-around athletes to ever come out of eastern kentucky...
OMG Wrote:its really pointless to argue with you because you are too caught up in who i am...if you are that interested pm me and ill tell you exactly who i am..

That ain't needed.Rolleyes You should be ashamed of yourself.
Pages: 1 2 3